Conquer Club

Game option: NO Deferred troops

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Game option: NO Deferred troops

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:58 am

Dukasaur wrote:
Arama86n wrote:
I garantee you that 95% of paying members would approve this situation.
99%?

1. One of the things that makes this site attractive versus other wargames is that you don't have to stay online 24/7 defending your cities or whatever. You can just take your turn once a day and that's good enough. However, real life being what it is, sometimes that's not enough. Sometimes you have to work overtime, and the wife needs help with this and that, and then you need to sleep sometime, and then you have to get up early because you have a long commute, etc., etc., etc. All these things do sometimes happen, and unless you're independently wealthy they're out of your control, and you will sometimes miss a turn.

2. Missing a turn means you miss taking a card. That right there is the biggest disadvantage. Then you miss a chance to break your opponent's bonus. That's a second disadvantage. Then your opponent gets a free throw to break your bonus. That's a third disadvantage. Basically missing a turn is a really big handicap. Losing your deferred troops on top of that would just make it a bigger handicap than it already is. I really don't see a valid reason why you would want to punish people even more for a missed turn than they already are.

3. I keep hearing all these assertions of people using this as an "advantage" but in 13,000 games on this site I've never seen it. Usually a person who misses a turn is dead in the water. Once in a while he comes back, but that's despite the handicap imposed by the missed turn, not because of it.

1. I could say that it's the least attractive thing about this site having to wait 24 hours or if you're in with say 8 people, 192 hours, to take your turn, it's bit annoying. But to each their own, kind of why I keep my active games between 20-30 now, so I can at least make a few turns a day rather than wait forever for nothing.

2. Either you're completely throwing out the Nuke and Zombie settings, or you've never played them. There literally just was report/complaint not too long ago about a player who take his turn, but never end it, to avoid taking a card. That's pretty advantageous if you ask me. Let's also not forget that in Escalating in large games, it's sometimes more beneficial to be either in the middle or even last person to turn in a set or grab the last card, to change rotation. Not that I would use this to my advantage since I think it's cheap, but it's there.

3. There's probably been multiple times in those 13,000 games where folks have missed turns for an advantage and it has played out, but I'm not going to hunt through all 13,000 to prove a point.

Your grammar sucks. <3
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby riskllama on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:44 am

riskllama wrote:status quo is fine.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:45 pm

DirtyDishSoap wrote:2. Either you're completely throwing out the Nuke and Zombie settings, or you've never played them. There literally just was report/complaint not too long ago about a player who take his turn, but never end it, to avoid taking a card. That's pretty advantageous if you ask me.

I don't disagree with you on that. Failing to take a card when you've earned one is a bug exploit and the bug should be fixed. It's absolutely disgusting that it hasn't been.

It is, however, a completely different animal from missing your turn.
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Sergeant 1st Class Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby IcePack on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
DirtyDishSoap wrote:2. Either you're completely throwing out the Nuke and Zombie settings, or you've never played them. There literally just was report/complaint not too long ago about a player who take his turn, but never end it, to avoid taking a card. That's pretty advantageous if you ask me.

I don't disagree with you on that. Failing to take a card when you've earned one is a bug exploit and the bug should be fixed. It's absolutely disgusting that it hasn't been.

My understanding was this was intentional and not a bug which is why it was never "fixed".

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:58 pm

mrswdk wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:Failing to get a card is the worst punishment imaginable. In most cases it will lead to losing the game.

Losing your deferred troops on top of that would make it pretty certain that missing one turn would finish you. At least with deferred troops you have a chance, however slim, to get back into it.

Now, if you guys really think it's right that someone who works unexpected overtime and doesn't get home to to take his turn on time should automatically lose, then say so. But don't wrap it up as "no deferred troops." Just skip a step and advoctate immediate elimination after one missed turn. That is the honest description of what you're advocating.

I don't think anyone legit has no time whatsoever within a 24-hour period to take a turn on CC. No time to manage dozens of games, but then people who are busy wouldn't start dozens in the first place.

Wrong. I'm extremely busy, and my game load for the last year or so has fluctuated between 80 and 150. I do manage to miss very rarely, but sometimes I do have to race through my turns, just attacking shit at random to take a card, hoping and praying that the cashes won't reach critical mass until the weekend when I can pay attention. I can see someone who was just a little less dedicated would just say "f*ck it" and not log in for a couple days. I'm often tempted. 8-[
ā€• Voltaire
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:00 pm

IcePack wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

My understanding was this was intentional and not a bug which is why it was never "fixed".

Yeah, you've said that before. I don't see how it could be, unless it was intentional in the very early days of the site, when the only cards were escalating. Once nukes came in it should have been fixed. It's just an open invitation to cheaters to subvert the whole nature of a nuclear game and turn it into something toxic.
ā€• Voltaire
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby IcePack on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
IcePack wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

Yeah, you've said that before. I don't see how it could be, unless it was intentional in the very early days of the site, when the only cards were escalating. Once nukes came in it should have been fixed. It's just an open invitation to cheaters to subvert the whole nature of a nuclear game and turn it into something toxic.

Or adds another layer of strategy, and doesn't need to be "fixed".

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:04 pm

IcePack wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
IcePack wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

We'll just have to disagree about that. If I ever win the lottery and buy this site, it will be the first thing fixed.
ā€• Voltaire
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby riskllama on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:06 pm

riskllama wrote:
riskllama wrote:status quo is fine.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby IcePack on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:13 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
IcePack wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
IcePack wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

We'll just have to disagree about that. If I ever win the lottery and buy this site, it will be the first thing fixed.

Let's hope you don't win the lotto then :)

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:18 pm

IcePack wrote:Or adds another layer of strategy, and doesn't need to be "fixed".

Disagree completely. When do you draw the line for what is and isn't strategy over taking advantage of programming?

Say if you and me and Duk were playing a game together, in person, with nuke settings, and I make a move and I say; "Welp, I'll be back in about an hour, you guys go ahead and talk and what not. Don't give me a card though." Lol?

It definitely falls under "Cheap Tactics". There's no reason why they shouldn't draw a card if they take a territory regardless of time spent during a turn.
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby IcePack on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:03 pm

DirtyDishSoap wrote:
IcePack wrote:Or adds another layer of strategy, and doesn't need to be "fixed".

Disagree completely. When do you draw the line for what is and isn't strategy over taking advantage of programming?

Say if you and me and Duk were playing a game together, in person, with nuke settings, and I make a move and I say; "Welp, I'll be back in about an hour, you guys go ahead and talk and what not. Don't give me a card though." Lol?

It definitely falls under "Cheap Tactics". There's no reason why they shouldn't draw a card if they take a territory regardless of time spent during a turn.

Well to start how about when the programmer says it wasn't a bug?

Great story about sitting around a table, but when we played around a table (Risk or otherwise) if someone forgot to draw a card it was tough luck. So I don't equate it to someone walking away, I equate it to someone remembering later going oh crap I was supposed to card and didn't, and everyone around the table telling them they were stupid for forgetting and they aren't getting one now.

Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby dollarsnosense on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:11 pm

Luckily I did a quick scan of attendance % of most of the profiles above and most if not all those who posted hold maintain a stellar attendance percentage. (Proud of you all) - Which lends huge credibility to your comments above here.

On a separate note, in regards to Speed games, getting deferred troops for a missed turn, does in fact sway to an advantage, I've seen it occur countless times. Especially in 4-player assassin speed games. (around 1/3 of my games completed are of that nature, as it's a popular Speed game on this site.)

Most likely more turns are 'naturally' missed in Speed games than 24 hr casual, BUT if I am not mistaken the OP's suggestion is Game Option: No deferred troops. Which would suggest NO deferred troops to be set as a game setting or option, NOT as global policy. So although there is a greater debate without parameters going on here, in regards to missed turns, (advantage or disadvantage, etc.) I continue to believe No deferred troops as an Option in game settings, is an outstanding suggestion! and overall would be a more gratifying Speed gaming experience.

Humblest regards,
dns
Captain dollarsnosense

Postby Donelladan on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:20 am

IcePack wrote:
DirtyDishSoap wrote:

Well to start how about when the programmer says it wasn't a bug?

Great story about sitting around a table, but when we played around a table (Risk or otherwise) if someone forgot to draw a card it was tough luck. So I don't equate it to someone walking away, I equate it to someone remembering later going oh crap I was supposed to card and didn't, and everyone around the table telling them they were stupid for forgetting and they aren't getting one now.

I think it's a very interesting discussion, but it's a little bit out of topic.
Please, keep it on deferred troops. There is several other suggestions about missing a card by intentionally running out of card if you wish to debate this issue. ( also there is at least two recent topics in GD).

dollarsnosense wrote:On a separate note, in regards to Speed games, getting deferred troops for a missed turn, does in fact sway to an advantage, I've seen it occur countless times. Especially in 4-player assassin speed games. (around 1/3 of my games completed are of that nature, as it's a popular Speed game on this site.)

Please explain how deferred troops are an advantage in this situation.
Also, did you ever consider missing a turn to get such an advantage, or you rather play all your turn trying to kill your target as fast as possible ? :)

dollarnosense wrote:Most likely more turns are 'naturally' missed in Speed games than 24 hr casual, BUT if I am not mistaken the OP's suggestion is Game Option: No deferred troops. Which would suggest NO deferred troops to be set as a game setting or option, NOT as global policy. So although there is a greater debate without parameters going on here, in regards to missed turns, (advantage or disadvantage, etc.) I continue to believe No deferred troops as an Option in game settings, is an outstanding suggestion! and overall would be a more gratifying Speed gaming experience.

As you said, much more people miss turn in speed game naturally. By that you mean they miss turn unintentionally.
Therefore how would it be a more gratifying speed gaming experience for those who miss turn unintentionally ?
It would only be better for people that didn't miss a turn and could get an easy win.

I have played more than 6000 speed games ( though rarely the setting you mentioned), and I never saw someone missing a turn intentionally so that they could get an advantage by getting deferred troops. But I have seen many people missing a turn ( especially the 1st and sometime 2nd) and getting rid of the deferred troops would mean those players would lose almost automatically. Getting 1st turn is already a big advantage ( in 1vs1 game especially) - when you miss your first turn, if you then don't get deferred troops, it's almost always over. ( well it's very often a loss anyway even with the deferred troops).

Deferred troops are nothing but a very small compensation for a miss turn, so that the game isn't completely screwed by a single miss.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Symmetry on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:16 pm

I think it is possible to deliberately miss a turn to gain an advantage, but it would be a huge gamble relying on another player, or more likely several other players (1 on 1 seems like a daft gamble unless against neutrals, unless it involved playing cards).

The most likely source of this complaint is that someone got hurt by expecting a missed turn to result in further missed turns, and ignored an opportunity when it presented itself, and was bitten by the comeback of a threat ignored.

Risky game, ain't it? You can't always only focus on the biggest threat.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Thorthoth on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:42 pm

Sym just doesn't get it.
It's been so long since he's played that he doesn't even comprehend sportsmanship anymore.

Yes Sym, any situation or operation imaginable will have a range of possible strategies associated with it. Thank you for stating the obvious.

But some game operations are not enjoyable. So these ones are often made against the rules to increase game enjoyability.

Waiting 24 hours or 1-5 minutes to have an opponent to miss or skip a turn is NOT ENJOYABLE. Wondering if the player has quit for two whole round is NOT ENJOYABLE.

Games (and gaming sites) that are NOT ENJOYABLE do not get played.

SO, to further discourages forgetful or dishonourable players from making the game LESS ENJOYABLE stop giving the deadbeats their deferred troops.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby Symmetry on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:18 pm

Thorthoth wrote:Sym just doesn't get it.
It's been so long since he's played that he doesn't even comprehend sportsmanship anymore.

Yes Sym, any situation or operation imaginable will have a range of possible strategies associated with it. Thank you for stating the obvious.

But some game operations are not enjoyable. So these ones are often made against the rules to increase game enjoyability.

Waiting 24 hours or 1-5 minutes to have an opponent to miss or skip a turn is NOT ENJOYABLE. Wondering if the player has quit for two whole round is NOT ENJOYABLE.

Games (and gaming sites) that are NOT ENJOYABLE do not get played.

SO, to further discourages forgetful or dishonourable players from making the game LESS ENJOYABLE stop giving the deadbeats their deferred troops.

Seems a little unsportsmanlike to insult me personally, but hey, I'll let it go if you will. Is that fair?

I'm not sure that every game should enjoyable if it means that enjoyment relies on every other player working to your plan. I rarely play Risk anymore, but I think that when you encounter a flaw in your in your strategy you should rethink.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Thorthoth on Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:52 am

Dodge Queen.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby Symmetry on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:04 pm

Or don't rethink, apparently.
Sergeant Symmetry

Previous

Return to Suggestions