Conquer Club

[GP] Vote For Draw

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Should players be allowed to vote for draws?

Only in team games
No votes
Extend to all games with points
44%
Extend to all games without points
6%
Draws should not be allowed
47%
Other (post the suggestion)
3%

Total votes : 34

Re: Vote for a draw in ANY game type

Postby Shelter417 on Tue May 13, 2008 8:41 pm

Why couldn't draws be an option? That way players who don't believe in draws don't have to play with people who might be willing to draw.
Lieutenant Shelter417

Postby Simon Viavant on Tue May 13, 2008 10:46 pm

I'd advocate a draw, but only when it's down to two players, and they both agree to it. Otherwise people might vote draw just to stop someone from winning. How about a draw requires unanimous approval?
Corporal Simon Viavant

Postby jiminski on Wed May 14, 2008 6:03 am

The Point Beaker makes is that it could be used as a tactic.

Many people complain that high ranked players will not play lower ones in public games. Well it happens less and less in Public games for many reasons, a few are:
- Point loss is terrible due to the handicap system; a really high scoring player (5000 points) v cooks at the bottom of the scoreboard would pretty much have to win 100% of the games even in a 6 man esc. (not really possible)
- Unknown players and styles; sometimes new players are fantastic but it only takes 1 who is not versed in the nuances of the game, to 'ruin' a game for an established player with all their preconceptions.
- Deliberate targeting of higher ranking players by low; this is sometimes but not always about points (we all know as we were all cooks once, it can also seem to make sense as the higher rank may appear to be the biggest threat. You may want to challenge them; like the kid and the gun-slinger...heheh what a stupid game this is)

The practice of targeting rank for points and voting for a draw:

if a person has 1-4 multis all they would need to do is kill the high ranker, press the draw button and split the points with no fear of loss.
Even a group of 5 friends could do this... and if they announced the fact that they were going to not attack each other in game chat, it would not even be cheating under the present rules i believe.
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby vonForster on Wed May 14, 2008 5:06 pm

Well, according to what you say jiminski, couldn't 5 friends do that to the higher player anyways, in the only one person wins game? Assuming they join 5 games, each will win one and all will end better than they start. (While it is unlikely this would happen as it would be extremely obvious, they could space the games over time). And as I said before, the objection is generally a good one, but it doesn't leave out the option of not awarding any points.

And for previous posts, any form of draw voting should require unanimous approval. I don't think anyone can have any other option other than a majority of votes, which is still pretty stupid and unrealistic. Shelter's point about draws being an option is good, but I think that draws would be infrequent enough that it wouldn't really matter in most cases if some people are against them. And if a significant amount of people are against draws to where they don't occur in deadlocks where they would anyways, then it still doesn't hurt to have them (assuming of course that the coding for the draw wouldn't be super-complex and slow down/screw up the whole site, which it shouldn't).
Private 1st Class vonForster

Postby jiminski on Thu May 15, 2008 6:07 am

vonForster wrote:Well, according to what you say jiminski, couldn't 5 friends do that to the higher player anyways, in the only one person wins game? Assuming they join 5 games, each will win one and all will end better than they start. (While it is unlikely this would happen as it would be extremely obvious, they could space the games over time). And as I said before, the objection is generally a good one, but it doesn't leave out the option of not awarding any points.

yeap, of course Forster, most things can and in fact do happen. But the probability of it happening becomes more likely if we add a draw option. Purely and simply due to the ease of pulling the sneaky plan off for the cheater. No orchestration past one game is necessary and points get split - it is a no lose situation, using very little sophistication.

Also it would not necessarily be friends doing it, the majority/strongest players in a game could team-up in Chat and kill the rest, split the points and all within the rules!. .. It certainly would add a new dimension but not one i like the sound of.

Sorry to be a damp squib mate, i like the idea but in my opinion (blame Beaker he pointed it out ;) ) it is very open to abuse... maybe you can think of a way around that?
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby Incandenza on Thu May 15, 2008 6:28 pm

jiminski wrote:Splitting the points between all left in the game seems sensible based on unanimous vote... i need to think about it though.

I proposed this idea a few months ago here, but the response was kinda lukewarm. I'm still in favor of the concept tho.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby Emperor_Metalman on Tue May 20, 2008 8:54 pm

If all players agree to a draw, then nobody should gain or lose points.
Sergeant 1st Class Emperor_Metalman

Postby killmanic on Wed May 21, 2008 12:55 am

I really like the idea for all games since there is 1 game I am in where it will end when someone deadbeats and the only non-premium person in it has had to deadbeat because of the limit of games they can have.
Colonel killmanic

Postby Timminz on Wed May 21, 2008 1:29 am

killmanic wrote:I really like the idea for all games since there is 1 game I am in where it will end when someone deadbeats and the only non-premium person in it has had to deadbeat because of the limit of games they can have.

Which game is that? I can't seem to find it.
Captain Timminz

Postby killmanic on Wed May 21, 2008 2:52 am

they havent finished deadbeating yet, and they gave another reason but its pretty obvious they need the slot.
Game 2131602
Colonel killmanic

Suggestion for "Tie button"

Postby Theoharis on Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:41 pm

Concise description:
  • Add a "propose tie" button that brings a game to a draw if all other players agree.

Specifics:
  • In chess, as in real war, there is the possibility of "draw by agreement". One player offers a draw, and the other either accepts or declines. Likewise, in some CC games (especially long games, e.g. after round 50) there could be the opportunity for some "stalemate" games. Imagine a game that is, say, in round 70 and three players are amassing troops in their borders (one I play now, Game 5509539, is a good example). To reach this state, everyone most probably has played it well and therefore the resolution depends not on skill but on either luck or lack of patience. In such cases, a player could perhaps be given the opportunity to call for a draw. In immediately consecutive turns, the other players have the opportunity to accept or decline. If everyone agrees, the game ties, and surviving players share any points gained.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • It adds yet another strategic element, because calling/refusing a draw is a psychological factor that players can note.
  • It provides players with the opportunity to have an honourable ending after a long fight, recognising an equal.
  • It simulates further real-life conditions.

Note: This in not like the "concede button" discussion, which has been exhausted. I did a search for a "tie button" and nothing came up, but sorry if this is a repost.
Audaces fortuna juvat
Major Theoharis

Re: Suggestion for "Tie button"

Postby slowreactor on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:27 pm

Unless NO point transactions are made, it is still too easy to abuse - e.g.

3 player game, 2 friends team up on the 3rd guy, kill him, then agree to a draw. The 3rd guy loses points and the 2 friends never do.

slow
Colonel slowreactor

Postby haggispittjr on Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:47 pm

sudgested and denied before
Lieutenant haggispittjr

Postby AceArtemis on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:28 pm

I believe this should be implemented, but without any points gained/lost, because nobody won.
Lieutenant AceArtemis

Postby bruno fountain on Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:52 pm

I think there should be an option to allow all to agree to tie the game. At the moment I am in a game that is in round 82 and is going nowhere. There was 4 of us but it has been only 3 playing for weeks now. It is the chinese checkers map (5493648) which now looking at it with 3 players is a map that to easily stalemates. The way my game is currently going the three of us left would all accept a draw as we have all mentioned how it is repetitive and going nowhere at all.
I have read the post and accept that people could always team up and then split points. If people are going to go to these lengths of cheating they could effectively do the same thing now but just do two games and make sure they then deadbeat to there mate in one after eliminating the foe. If the points issue of an eliminated player is the problem maybe no points should change hands at all. Another option that might help this situation and would aid in getting a winner. Is an option allowing people to suggest that cards could change from either no spoils or flat rate to escalating. Of course this would have to be accepted by all playing the game. But It would be a lot harder for an escalating game to get to this state of stalemating.
Cook bruno fountain

Postby pmchugh on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:52 pm

slowreactor wrote:Unless NO point transactions are made, it is still too easy to abuse - e.g.

3 player game, 2 friends team up on the 3rd guy, kill him, then agree to a draw. The 3rd guy loses points and the 2 friends never do.

slow

I don't think that would happen any more than 2 friends teaming up on a third guy and letting each other win alternative games. Much more likely is that people would use this feature to practise without giving away points, where everyone agrees prior to joining to end as a tie before the last territ is taken.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby Gypsys Kiss on Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:37 am

pmchugh wrote:
slowreactor wrote:Unless NO point transactions are made, it is still too easy to abuse - e.g.

slow

I don't think that would happen any more than 2 friends teaming up on a third guy and letting each other win alternative games. Much more likely is that people would use this feature to practise without giving away points, where everyone agrees prior to joining to end as a tie before the last territ is taken.

which would come under 'gross abuse' would it not..............and easily checkable
Sergeant Gypsys Kiss

Postby MeDeFe on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:14 am

Gypsys Kiss wrote:
pmchugh wrote:

slow

which would come under 'gross abuse' would it not..............and easily checkable

Then imagine an 8 player game, 6 left, one person wants to battle it out because they are principled like that. The other 5 kill the guy and agree to a tie.

Besides, any stalemate can be broken, there are a lot of methods for doing it.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby frankiebee on Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:56 am

If youre in a stalmate, just make some alliances to get things moving !
It's not against the rules to make agreements in the chat about eliminating somebody !;)
Colonel frankiebee

Postby Titanin on Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:27 pm

I think that a "Tie button" it is a very good idea... Maybe only available after 40-50 turns. I am playing a game in "Chinese Checkers" map, and the simetry of this map is making the game going nowhere.
Captain Titanin

Postby JOHNNYROCKET24 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:30 pm

there is no such thing as a tie. Just players refusing to attack/move.
JR's Game Profile

show
Captain JOHNNYROCKET24

Postby haggispittjr on Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:42 pm

if you guys had premium, you wouldnt mind having a realy long ass game cause it doesnt take up one of your 4 spaces.
Lieutenant haggispittjr

Split the pot

Postby Halmir on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Concise description:
  • An honourable alternative to a feeble Suicide option. Stalemate is a bad dull thing, but deadbeating out of a game is worse. However, if most remaining players want to call it a day, why not enable this?

Specifics:
  • My suggestion is to add a Split the Pot option (a term originating from my card playing days, where those remaining players contesting the hand at Poker, Brag etc, agreed to end that hand and divide up the money in the middle equally, as they all judged themselves to be roughly equal but couldn't be bothered to try some outrageous bluff technique!).
  • Once you click on the Split the Pot option, it shows as a flag against your name and also in the text log. Once an appropriate number of players all click this (I'd say 5 out of 6, 6 out of 7, etc i.e. we just need a clear strong majority) the game ends. Some form of safeguard is needed to stop a bunch of near-dead guys choosing this to stop the big guy from stomping them. I would suggest that this can't be used if the 5 out of 6 (for example) have less troops/territories than those who haven't voted for it. If you can convince the currently winning player to end it, then it can happen.
  • You then lose a % of the points you could have lost, if you had lost to the lowest ranked player. This one needs some more work also but the concept is that it will cost you some points so that it's not used frivolously, but not a total 100% loss, so it's worth doing just to get on with other games.

• Some games drag on, far beyond the enjoyment of most players. If there was a consensus to end it by mutual agreement and get on with our other games, is that not better?
Lieutenant Halmir

Re: Split the pot

Postby jimboston on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:21 pm

I think it would have to be 100% of players still in the game.

That's how you do it in poker.
Private 1st Class jimboston

Game ending treaty

Postby dwilhelmi on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:54 pm

Concise description:
  • Allow for players to enter into a treaty that will end the game
  • The points would then be distributed among all players in the final treaty, based off of percentage of the board controlled

Specifics:
  • Place a "Suggest Treaty" button next to the "Begin Turn" button
  • If you choose "Suggest Treaty", your turn will be skipped. The next player will then have an "Accept Treaty" button next to their "Begin Turn" button.
  • If the second player declines the treaty, they may then begin their turn.
  • If the second player accepts the treaty, and there are more than two players left, it will move on to the third player, who may also accept or deny.
  • All remaining players must agree to the treaty in order for the game to end.

• Allow for more diplomacy opportunities - instead of suiciding, a losing third player can enter into a deal with one of two evenly matched players to give that player the edge.
  • Provides a way out of stacking games
  • More closely mirrors real world conquest scenarios, where deals can be and are made.
  • By forcing a player to skip a turn in order to suggest a treaty, it will reduce people from attempting it too often, and shows a sign of trust in your opponent - a key component of real world treaties as well.
Brigadier dwilhelmi

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions