Conquer Club

Rest In Peace, Cheffed

Information about clan activities and recruitment.

Moderator: Clan Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Rest In Peace, Cheffed

Postby TheSpaceCowboy on Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:52 pm

Dear friends of the Clan experience on CC,

I wanted to share with you the passing and great loss of one of our own here on CC, Cheffed. Ed was a retired Chef and had managed a group of commercial kitchens at the pinnacle of his career before his retirement. I can only imagine the excellence he demanded of his staffs in the culinary world based on my experiences with him here on CC. He spent 20 years in the US Navy where he worked sometimes in Galleys there, leading to his civilian career. He was a Tiger of a player whose attention to detail and out of box thinking garnered him and his clans much success over the course of his journey on CC.

Ed has consistently been #2 or #3 on the leaderboard for some time. I have had the opportunity to see him close up as a player and his ranking was so deserved. The great tragedy is that after 30 days of no games, the leader board will forget his name and accomplishments. However, for those who knew him, his memory will have no end. As a player, I have never known someone who took such care and time consistently game after game to try to arrive at the best possible outcome round by round. He wanted to be challenged and to bandy about idea after idea until the best one was discovered.

The thing that always struck me about Ed's score accomplishments is that he had no "gimme" maps. He could not, as some former conqueror and high rankers have done, limit himself to some particular map and settings where he was unbeatable, especially to noobs. But, his accomplishments came through team games on an assortment of maps he enjoyed with friends he treasured.

This site gave Ed an avenue for his competitive and intellectual spirit. He was a member of ICON before REP and his passion for excellence was eclipsed only by his sense of humor. Speaking for our clan, we will miss Ed terribly, and our clan will take some time to grieve for his loss, though we realize that we are all much better for having known him. For the site in general, it just lost a fantastic representative. If this site had more members like Ed, it would never decline, but go gangbusters with growth due to his immense enthusiasm.

Please take a moment to post a memory or kind thought about the life of Cheffed, best in CC and best in life. Every time I saw him in games, he started the chat by saying to the other team, "Good Luck. Be well, and stay healthy."

What I would give for those words to come back to him in total fruition, that we might get more time with a CC legend -- one who had no idea that this is what his legacy on site would be. RIP, dear friend, Ed.
Iacta Alea Est
Brigadier TheSpaceCowboy

Re: Rest In Peace, Cheffed

Postby pconnolly365 on Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:02 pm

I am so sad about the loss of our dear friend.

Ed is/was truly one of a kind.
The most precious soul in a clan of players who loved him and his guidance.
He always offered his advice and respected the advice offered.
I have a tear in my eye typing this.

RIP Ed, my friend.
I will miss you.
Last edited by pconnolly365 on Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant pconnolly365

Postby BabySasuke on Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:08 pm

I am no wordsmith by any means,

but Ed, I have known for many years now, and we got along like uncle and nephew, I often referred to him as Uncle Ed.

I wish I had more to explain how tragic of a loss it is, somebody in my many hiatus' of CC would personally reach out and just check in to say hello.

what I would give to see my phone ping me again, and see " Hey Jack, just a quick shoutout to you" and asking after my personal indevours that he cared about. He was extremely genuine in his care for people. He knew more about me than I know about me. honestly brings a tear to my eyes knowing that I wont hear from him again, and that we wont be bullying each other over fantasy hockey. to think that just a few hours before his passing he was still cracking jokes and striding to win the playoffs this year with his unmatched dad humour.

RIP to a beloved friend, and a very caring human.

Cheers Ed. Look out for us simpletons down here.
Major BabySasuke

Postby 4 U 2 NV on Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm

I know he’s played with a lot of people and with ease, found a way to create a personal relationship with many.

He was always a competitive player, but also a great human being. Very strict in his ways, but that made me a better player. He would always want to cheer our accomplishments.

He’s going to be missed.
Colonel 4 U 2 NV

Postby groovysmurf on Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:58 pm

I didn't know him as well as the REP guys, but I have heard so many good things about him from my friends there and know how much he will be missed.

A few years ago, I was in the hospital for an operation on my foot. Though Cheffed and I didn't know each other all that well, he still took the time to send me a message, wishing me good health, luck and telling me how much the players in REP care for me. It was incredibly touching and appreciated beyond belief. It is clear he was very caring and I know he was loved. Rest in Peace, Ed.
Major groovysmurf
Clan Director
Clan Director

Postby IcePack on Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:26 pm

Still quite don’t know how to put into words my thoughts. Don’t quite want to believe that it’s all real.

He was a great player, and an even better guy.

I’m glad I had the opportunity to meet him last fall. The site has lost someone special yet again

:cry:

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Captain IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby MTIceman41 on Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:28 pm

2024-03-16 19:54:13 - cheffed: gg guys, be well & stay healthy!
2024-03-16 20:00:21 - MTIceman41: Rough rolls as scooby doo would say for you guys…we put in a good effort I believe and dice went our way…cheers
2024-03-16 20:01:00 - MTIceman41: Cheffed always a better sport then me with poise…one day I will get there my man

Cheffed was obviously a better CC player than most here…but he was also such an amazing human being that had such wisdom and poise.
Much love and respect for this guy; prayers for his family in RL knowing he was an honorable and a good dude…
life is precious and always in the balance so be intentional, direct, loving and caring like cheffed…maybe make a good meal too to honor a CC legend :-D
Brigadier MTIceman41

Postby Denise on Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:02 pm

There are others here who knew Ed better than I, but I feel the loss and have been sad all day, shedding some tears even. It's hard because the people in my life would not understand why I feel so sad for someone I haven't actually met, so I've kept it to myself. I don't feel like trying to explain. Ed had a personal chat going with almost everyone in our clan, I think, and I've just re-read ours. He was always full of compliments and caring, asking about my personal life much more than I asked about his. I feel it an honor to have known him, and I'll miss him.
Colonel Denise

Postby pmchugh on Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:20 pm

Similar to Denise I probably knew him less than some of my clan mates, but you didnt need to spend long with him to see who he was. Ed was the best of us in so many ways. The best player by far. The best team mate. The best guy. Always up for a laugh, unless you suggested auto rolling the dice on a crucial turn.

He was extremely competitive, but never complained when losing through luck. He spoke up when we weren't doing our best, win or lose.

Most of all he cared about people.

Thoughts and prayers with his family and friends who will miss him so much.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby LFAW on Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:39 am

Very sorry to hear this. I only had the pleasure to play Cheffed once but he filled the chat with decorum and grace. A massive loss to the world and CC. My condolences to his family, friends and to REP.

RIP Ed.

2024-01-12 22:33:09 - cheffed: gg guys, well played, be well and stay healthy! I fight to the end because I am an ornery, cantankerous old man who just dislikes losing...even when the outcome cannot be reversed like this one.
Colonel LFAW

Postby Keefie on Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:18 am

I've only just finished 4 extremely demanding Stalingrad Quads with Ed. What an amazing player, who left no stone unturned in search of the best move. He could be difficult, demanding and controlling but also funny, charming, helpful and utterly brilliant. I just wish I wasn't talking in the past tense :(

This site and your dear friends in The Republic will miss and always be thinking of you.

If there is a heaven I'm sure you'll already be enjoying a beer and a game of risk with Josh.

Goodbye Mr Ed.

Mr Keith
Colonel Keefie

Postby The_Samurai on Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:14 am

Chef Ed, as I was calling him, was one of a kind, both on CC and in real life. He will be missed dearly.

In my heart, he is a "Honorary CC Conqueror", being ranked 2nd at the time of his passing, with 5092 points. What is remarkable about this achievement is that Chef Ed did it without using the farming strategy that many conquerors have used in the past. Chef Ed did it mostly by playing all sorts of team games on a variety of maps and settings with his clan mates. Respect all the way ! I will miss our games together, especially our dubs on Forbidden City that were colored with our long strategic discussions, often beyond 1am or 2am for him.

I'm sure he is watching us from above, wishing us to "Be well & stay healthy!", and sipping one of the best wines he could find - his expert knowledge of wine and good food was unbelievable and he could write a whole page describing all the flavours of a meal - most of it I couldn't even understand - I needed a whole new dictionary to understand it but his descriptive writing could let your imagination go wild on his culinary experiences.

RIP Chef Ed !
Best rank: Brigadier - ranked #45 | high score 3306 | 6 August 2015
Proud member of The Republic clan, and Co-leader of FBRD tribe
Major The_Samurai

Postby Shoe555 on Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:13 am

I’m sorry to hear about the passing of Chef Ed. My condolences to his family and friends.
Major Shoe555

Postby TrafalgarLaw01 on Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:37 pm

This was sad to hear.

I never knew him much, but he was always kind to me.
Always sad to lose a good player.

Best wishes for his family and to REP as well.
General TrafalgarLaw01

Postby joecoolfrog on Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:01 pm

A sad loss , RIP mate !
Brigadier joecoolfrog

Postby Iron Maid on Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:42 pm

RIP Cheffed. Wishing all his family & friends lots of strenght.
Highest Rank: 60 (Brigadier) Score: 3139 Date: March 26th 2010
Winner of Official 2010 CC World Cup - Singles & Official 200 Maps Tournament
Major Iron Maid
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Shannon Apple on Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:17 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

I didn't know him personally. I checked and I've only ever played one clan game against him and in the chat, his losing line was: 2023-03-30 21:01:08 - cheffed: gg, be well & stay healthy!

From reading the comments from his friends in here, it's clear that CC has not only lost a fantastic player, but an amazing person. RIP Cheffed!
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Tin Trumpet on Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:48 am

Very sad to hear this news. Always horrible to lose great people. From all at Atlantis, enjoy the after life, and may the wine and food in heaven be as good as you enjoyed on earth.
Colonel Tin Trumpet

Postby queen victorious on Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:04 pm

This is such sad news! Ed was a truly good man and friend on CC. We've chatted on whatsapp since the first time he invited me to a game
in 2020. He had a nickname for me...killer...I'd had some really good dice in that game. From then on he always began his messages to me with "Hi Killer!"
I last heard from him in March. Every time my rank went up on CC he would message me with congratulations; he was always so kind and thoughtful.
He loved to talk and knew so much about so many things! This is such a loss to us here on CC, and my deepest sympathy goes out to his family and friends.
He will be sorely missed by so many.
General queen victorious

Postby Arama86n on Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:11 pm

I really can't find the words. Should have written days ago.

For those of you that didn't know Ed, he was a kind, amazing person.
As I wrote to the clan, I will remember him as long as I live. I Can't express it.

As a player...
He truly deserved his rank. Making any team better. Always pushing his teammates to contribute more, and very much leading by example.

Rest in peace Mr. Ed
Legend, as a person, and a player.
Major Arama86n

Postby Devante on Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:03 am

My condolences to his family. My condolences to his friends and those of the CC community who were close to him. A loss is a loss, especially an unexpected one. Nothing can express the grief you feel but these words came to mind, hope their helpful;

Death is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away to the next room.
I am I and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other,
That, we are still.

Call me by my old familiar name.
Speak to me in the easy way
which you always used.
Put no difference into your tone.
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.

Laugh as we always laughed
at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me. Pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word
that it always was.

God bless and wish you closest and his family, nothing but strength
Major Devante

Postby Ark_Angel_NZ on Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:21 am

I'm very saddened to hear of the news of Cheffed's passing, although I haven't played many games with him, I still wanted to pay my respects on this thread.

I believe Cheffed's played at an extraordinary high level, more impressively, he was tremendous across a wide variety of maps/settings.
In the four games I played him, he kicked my butt 3 times convincingly, his rank as the best player on the site is thoroughly justified.

On top of being a fantastic player, he was a great person who was gracious in defeat and humble in victory.
The one game I did win, was an undeserved dice mismatch that handed me and my partner the game.

We acknowledged the mismatch and he responded with the following:
"you are both very good players and good guys. Wishing you the very best life can offer, always, Ed..."

The man was sincere, gracious and an absolute pleasure to play against - I'm sure he will be sorely missed.

My thoughts are with his family and friends, stay strong.

Ryan
General Ark_Angel_NZ

Postby niMic on Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:53 am

I didn't know him, but he was always very polite when we played against each other.
Highest score: 3747
Highest rank: 17
General niMic

Postby JJ41375 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:18 pm

So sorry to hear this news. My thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.

A great player and by reading the comments an even greater person.
Lieutenant JJ41375
SoC Training Adviser

Return to Clans