Conquer Club

[Rules] Limit New Recruit for 16 games in settings and maps

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: Limit New Recruits for 16 games, unlock settings and map

Postby Crazy Frog on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:58 am

TheForgivenOne wrote:
Crazy Frog wrote:(where they get a token of say 5 or 10 points awarded to them regardless of outcome)

I predict people would just use this to up their rank. So I say a nay on this area.

Maybe get a medal for doing this charitable work? I dunno

Ok try this:

First 10 games or so include an option of "Tutorial Game"
When a New Player clicks for a "Tutorial Game" The game shows up on searches as a "Reserved Player" and then Only specific Volunteers or Moderators would be able to "Accept" and play the game.

Maybe allow the normal 4 games of a freemium + 2 tutorial games
Only available for a limited time or until the player plays a certain number of games

The reason I say give them a 4 + 2 tutorials arrangement is that they will probably already book themselves with their alloted 4 games before they realize they need a tutor... so at that point or about that point they may find and click the Tutorial Game link and get some help... either with a normal 24 hour round or a RT game if the someone is available and willing...
Sergeant 1st Class Crazy Frog

Postby Crazy Frog on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:06 am

TheForgivenOne wrote:
Crazy Frog wrote:(where they get a token of say 5 or 10 points awarded to them regardless of outcome)

I predict people would just use this to up their rank. So I say a nay on this area.

If someone was willing to tutorial the players at 5 points a game... I Think we should pay the babysitter and be happy...
I mean think about it a moment.. would they not be earning the points?
So let them have them.. and if a Major becomes a General because he/she is playing a bunch of tutorial games... then fine and dandy... More points for you when you beat the teachers in other games right? It all works out.

Postby TheForgivenOne on Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:29 pm

Crazy Frog wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:

Ok try this:

First 10 games or so include an option of "Tutorial Game"
When a New Player clicks for a "Tutorial Game" The game shows up on searches as a "Reserved Player" and then Only specific Volunteers or Moderators would be able to "Accept" and play the game.

Maybe allow the normal 4 games of a freemium + 2 tutorial games
Only available for a limited time or until the player plays a certain number of games

The reason I say give them a 4 + 2 tutorials arrangement is that they will probably already book themselves with their alloted 4 games before they realize they need a tutor... so at that point or about that point they may find and click the Tutorial Game link and get some help... either with a normal 24 hour round or a RT game if the someone is available and willing...

Okay, I like this idea. Have some of the community either volunteer, or as you said, get moderator's to give the player a tutorial of what they are playing.

Maybe give them 1 tutorial game for each game type?
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Crazy Frog on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:42 pm

I Posted this as a New Topic in the General Furum...

Help for New Players
by Crazy Frog on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:20 pm

Here are a few "Crazy Frog" tips for beginners...
(I'm nowhere near the best strategist in the game... But these basics should help you get started)

On averages people will win over 10% of games regardless of how good they are... just the dice can do that.

Playing in Multi-player games are smart... even if you only win 1 out of 10 games you may get more points from that one game than if you won 2 or three games against a single player.

For the next few games play simple maps with a bunch of players.. say 6-8 player games.

Play on the same couple of maps that you like over and over again... You will get a feel for the map and understand its strategic points.

Round One... Deploy but try not to attack... ( a 3 vs 3 is an not really an even swap and you will usually end up loosing valuable men at a critical time... leaves you more vulnerable.

Look for a way to gain advantage and a few more points each round... deploy and reinforce toward a goal in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Example: On Pearl Harbor Map you may be able to get a bonus by taking another AA batery... or another Plane... or another two ships..

Another Example: on map D-day at Omaha Beach you can get a bonus from owning two of the bunkers. or all three of them... Or a bunus from owning each ship with its landing crafts...

Watch out for traps... on D-day for example you get a Negative 1 if you own both the Airplane and its corresponding parachute... So that is one place you do not want to hold onto... and once you have it.,.. noone else is going to kill you for it... they would rather see you crippled round by round than to kill you off of them.

Try to gain good Defensive Locations... Example... Feudal war look at "Feudal Empire".. there are only two avenues for attack... at FE 5 and 7
If you attack from one side you may have to go through a pile of 20 non player troops just to attack the defenders army... So it pays to Plan your defense...

Attacking with greater than 2-1 odds will throw the odds into your favor normally. So if you are going to attack a 3 then try to attack with a strength of 6 or better. A 5 may usually win but in the end you will not have much left after the fight to defend with... Remember its not just winning a skirmish... its having enough troops left after the skirmish to defend with... and eventually win the war.

Speed of attacking: On some maps you need to Blitzkrieg... and on other maps you just have to be patient... Watch the other players and see what they do... Especially the Higher Ranks... like Majors and Colonels. If you see them playing it cool and patient in round one... Its not a bad Idea usually to follow along. Don't feel like you have to do anything in particular... You can deploy and wait till another round for the attack if you like... Its your game.. Play it your way.

Hope these thoughts help...

Postby Queen_Herpes on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:35 am

Crazy Frog wrote:I Posted this as a New Topic in the General Furum...

Help for New Players
by Crazy Frog on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:20 pm

Here are a few "Crazy Frog" tips for beginners...
(I'm nowhere near the best strategist in the game... But these basics should help you get started)

On averages people will win over 10% of games regardless of how good they are... just the dice can do that.

Playing in Multi-player games are smart... even if you only win 1 out of 10 games you may get more points from that one game than if you won 2 or three games against a single player.

For the next few games play simple maps with a bunch of players.. say 6-8 player games.

Play on the same couple of maps that you like over and over again... You will get a feel for the map and understand its strategic points.

Round One... Deploy but try not to attack... ( a 3 vs 3 is an not really an even swap and you will usually end up loosing valuable men at a critical time... leaves you more vulnerable.

Look for a way to gain advantage and a few more points each round... deploy and reinforce toward a goal in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Example: On Pearl Harbor Map you may be able to get a bonus by taking another AA batery... or another Plane... or another two ships..

Another Example: on map D-day at Omaha Beach you can get a bonus from owning two of the bunkers. or all three of them... Or a bunus from owning each ship with its landing crafts...

Watch out for traps... on D-day for example you get a Negative 1 if you own both the Airplane and its corresponding parachute... So that is one place you do not want to hold onto... and once you have it.,.. noone else is going to kill you for it... they would rather see you crippled round by round than to kill you off of them.

Try to gain good Defensive Locations... Example... Feudal war look at "Feudal Empire".. there are only two avenues for attack... at FE 5 and 7
If you attack from one side you may have to go through a pile of 20 non player troops just to attack the defenders army... So it pays to Plan your defense...

Attacking with greater than 2-1 odds will throw the odds into your favor normally. So if you are going to attack a 3 then try to attack with a strength of 6 or better. A 5 may usually win but in the end you will not have much left after the fight to defend with... Remember its not just winning a skirmish... its having enough troops left after the skirmish to defend with... and eventually win the war.

Speed of attacking: On some maps you need to Blitzkrieg... and on other maps you just have to be patient... Watch the other players and see what they do... Especially the Higher Ranks... like Majors and Colonels. If you see them playing it cool and patient in round one... Its not a bad Idea usually to follow along. Don't feel like you have to do anything in particular... You can deploy and wait till another round for the attack if you like... Its your game.. Play it your way.

Hope these thoughts help...

Looks and sounds as though there are a number of people who agree with you froggie! Thanks for the support of this idea!
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby Pirlo on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:48 am

i like the idea of unlock steps.. it's pretty cool...

However, I believe that noobs quit the site because they unknowingly get stuck to 4 games with other new recruits... so imagine the game is full of noobs.... each one has only 4... if 20% of those noobs decided to abandon the site and went deadbeat, the other 80% will start getting bored and abandoning the site as well... just like domino thing :lol:

let farming away cuz it seems to be out of control... why not CC increase the limit of games to 10 instead of 4 for noobs...

I mean CC can let new recruits join up to 10 games until they complete 50 games... then decrease that limit to 4 or 5...

in other words, let the 1st impression be cool 8-)
Captain Pirlo

Postby Crazy Frog on Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:00 pm

"This part won't go through for the simple reason that, as already stated before, the points you have are a reflection of you skill, and not points to be bartered, rewarded or given away."

Every New Player is "Given freely 1000 Points"... so does this reflect thier "Skill Level"???

A Moderator /Tutor would be Reflecting his Skill every time he tutors a Player... The idea of a flat point rule above was to limit the swap of points because the Tutor is literally telling the trainee how to fight against his trainer. Which if done properly will result in the trainer loosing some games because of the trainee following instructions and getting some decent rolls...
What "Colonel" in his or her right mind would go into this situation of potentially gaining 10 points from the noob or loosing over a hundred points if the noob wins...??? And Still Train the Person Properly???

Postby skipopidid on Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:02 am

sorry if some of this has already been mentioned but i'm too lazy to go through and read the thread....

i like this idea a lot. (coming from an inexperienced player)
and if you are careful about the wording on the unlocks, you could make them seem like achievements in the next gen console games..

one of the first games i joined (i was already an experienced risk player so i wasnt too lost) was world 2.1 foggy. it threw me for a loop because until i started the game, saw the ?'s on all the teritories and then went back and found out what that was all about i had no clue what was going on. i'm still undecided on weather or not i like foggy.
opening up the settings one at a time with an auto pm from the system with either a link to a guide or instructions on how the setting works would be a great thing.

but it did suck all that time to be itching to join SOC before i got my first promotion.. maybe make terminator games open for new players to begin with, so they can begin learning a little earlier?
and if the coding isnt too terribly hard, maybe make it faster to unlock for a newbie that continually wins or have a way of opting out on training (like OP said with premium)? (i won my first 2 games in a row and was ready to face the scary world that cooks are allowed to play in.)
Private 1st Class skipopidid

Postby Crazy Frog on Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:21 pm

I got a PM from a person over at Cooks society...
Somewhere in that confab it came around that "Cooks society" could handle the tutoring... its what they do anyway... But we need to provide a better way of getting the newbies introduced...

Idea... start them off with their first few games inside a controlled environment... each game they play "Unlocks" the next like the man above just said... and the games would be "Cooks Society tournament games" with a tutor who is also playing along... and gives advice/answers questions and comments on the moves...

QH what do you think?

Postby Woodruff on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:38 pm

Crazy Frog wrote:Another thing that drives Newbies away is the Rudeness of some people in this site... Vulgarity, Insults etc... That is probably already a topic in another thread though...

The site really doesn't give a rat's ass about this, unfortunately.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby greenoaks on Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:30 am

as it is now NR's are allowed to play freestyle games so they get 1 turn the same time every day and yet they still leave

increasing the game limit to 16 will make deadbeating worse, instead of deadbeating in 4 games they will deadbeat 16

the biggest problem i have noticed is the delay between when they join the game and when they actually participate in the game. as hours or days could go by, they have lost interest before their first turn comes around.

perhaps allowing a NR access to 1 (and only 1) speed game would help. this would serve 2 purposes

• capture the imagination of the n00b at the moment they have signed up, hopefully increasing retention rates
  • be an example of the benefits of membership, hopefully increasing conversion rates
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Doc_Brown on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:33 pm

skipopidid wrote:but it did suck all that time to be itching to join SOC before i got my first promotion.. maybe make terminator games open for new players to begin with, so they can begin learning a little earlier?
and if the coding isnt too terribly hard, maybe make it faster to unlock for a newbie that continually wins or have a way of opting out on training (like OP said with premium)? (i won my first 2 games in a row and was ready to face the scary world that cooks are allowed to play in.)

You can join SoC before you get your first promotion. I joined while I was still a NR. The trick is that you can't search out terminator games to join on your own, but you can accept invitations. The SoC staff is pretty good about sending out occasional invitations to SoC games, and if you let them know that you're a NR and want to be invited, they'll happily oblige.
Colonel Doc_Brown

Postby Pirlo on Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:14 pm

greenoaks wrote:as it is now NR's are allowed to play freestyle games so they get 1 turn the same time every day and yet they still leave

increasing the game limit to 16 will make deadbeating worse, instead of deadbeating in 4 games they will deadbeat 16

the biggest problem i have noticed is the delay between when they join the game and when they actually participate in the game. as hours or days could go by, they have lost interest before their first turn comes around.

perhaps allowing a NR access to 1 (and only 1) speed game would help. this would serve 2 purposes

• capture the imagination of the n00b at the moment they have signed up, hopefully increasing retention rates
  • be an example of the benefits of membership, hopefully increasing conversion rates

lol the suggestion of 16 was for allowing a bunch of maps 1st 16 games or something like that not 16 games at a time for noobs....... then they will unlock another bunch of maps ...etc

however, allowing one speed game beside few casual games is exactly my point....... give new recruits 1 speed at a time until they complete 20 or 30 games whatever... then restrict them to casual games unless they upgraded to premium...

most new recruits (by most I mean +90%) give a very negative feedback once they get stuck in 4 casual games and find that they will have to wait for days to get a turn....

as a customer, when i get cool service, I may tell one or two of my friends about it. while I'd tell 20-30 persons if I got crap service... simply because I expect the cool one, and I'd talk more about the unexpected one
Captain Pirlo

Postby skipopidid on Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:31 pm

Doc_Brown wrote:
skipopidid wrote:but it did suck all that time to be itching to join SOC before i got my first promotion.. maybe make terminator games open for new players to begin with, so they can begin learning a little earlier?

You can join SoC before you get your first promotion. I joined while I was still a NR. The trick is that you can't search out terminator games to join on your own, but you can accept invitations. The SoC staff is pretty good about sending out occasional invitations to SoC games, and if you let them know that you're a NR and want to be invited, they'll happily oblige.

And had i known that as NR, it would have been nice. Maybe making information easier to find is the only solution we need..
maybe something big, right after you sign up or in your confirmation email saying "start here"
Private 1st Class skipopidid

Postby Pirlo on Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:13 pm

skipopidid wrote:
Doc_Brown wrote:

And had i known that as NR, it would have been nice. Maybe making information easier to find is the only solution we need..
maybe something big, right after you sign up or in your confirmation email saying "start here"

that's right =D>
I started exploring the forums after completing 1300 games :geek:
Captain Pirlo

Postby Queen_Herpes on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:52 am

Ultimately, Brand new players to a map will need a few games to understand the map. Its the truth, its a reality and a player would have to spend an inordinate amount of time researching the map (prior to playing it for the first time) to win against a player who had experience on the map (whether the player-with-experience is an effective strategist or not.) Ultimately this whole suggestion comes down to the validity of the "rank." The only way to truly validate any rank is put in place some sort of control that allows for games to be measured or not measured. While I never intend this suggestion to be debased to the point of suggesting eliminating the ranking system, it certainly makes sense to consider adding the option to either 1. play against the computer for no ranking points, or 2. to choose to play against an opponent without risking, earning, nor awarding ranking points. In every system (except here) where there is ranking, there is an option to "practice" or "scrimmage." Couldn't it be beneficial to the ranking system to build one of these two options in?

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby tkr4lf on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:20 am

I used to be against this idea as a newer player, but after recently going premium and playing way more games at once, and having new recruits join a bunch of them and the majority of them deadbeat, I am beginning to be in favor of it. That said, I do have a suggestion. It doesn't address the training aspect, but the limiting of deadbeating and new recruits joining certain games and/or being farmed.

Why not, similar to majorcommand.com, have an option to limit who can join your game, based on rank. Say, nobody above or below a certain rank may join the game. Just a simple option much like the other options at the create a game menu. It seems it would stop new recruits from playing in almost anybodies game except the ones that they start. Because I know I would never allow them to join my games. A few of them come back to make their turns, but the majority of them do not. I have one game, a 5 player standard on Texan Wars, which 4 new recruits joined, and all 4 have since deadbeated. It seems as though by the end of next turn or the next, I will win simply because I will be the only one left. That sucks. I wanted to play on the map, not be awarded a win because the other players don't have patience and/or lack understanding of this site's gameplay. Just my two cents.
Major tkr4lf

Postby ender516 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:43 pm

Although I cannot quote him directly, it seems widely held in the forums that lackattack would never agree to games which do not involve the risk of points. However, I did once propose Solitaire Mode, which I like to think is somewhat different. I would definitely support the idea of playing against the computer.
Also, I don't think the fact that a new player will not be able to defeat an experienced player is something that a new player must be protected from. Any new player who expects such an outcome is deluded. If you want to win, you have to play, and if you play, you will lose some of the time, and initially, most of the time.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby natty dread on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:56 pm

I don't think the fact that a new player will not be able to defeat an experienced player is something that a new player must be protected from.

Losing games is a natural part of the learning curve.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Queen_Herpes on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:45 pm

ender516 wrote:Although I cannot quote him directly, it seems widely held in the forums that lackattack would never agree to games which do not involve the risk of points. However, I did once propose Solitaire Mode, which I like to think is somewhat different. I would definitely support the idea of playing against the computer.

As this is a "casual gaming site" and, yes, that quote has been thrown around the forums frequently, I'm not quite certain why lackattack would be opposed to something so casual as "a game which does not involve the risk of points." Wouldn't it improve the ranking system to allow players to play such games? I could understand how games that do not risk points could overload the server, and if so, just put a limit on the number of those games that one player can play. Seems as though there are plenty of people who play volleyball recreationally and then those who play competitively for "points" and "rank." Why not give the casual gamers an option to keep it casual?

ender516 wrote:Also, I don't think the fact that a new player will not be able to defeat an experienced player is something that a new player must be protected from. Any new player who expects such an outcome is deluded. If you want to win, you have to play, and if you play, you will lose some of the time, and initially, most of the time.

I'm not supporting protecting new players from losing, and I'm not concerned if their mommy didn't hug them enough as a child (such that they come here to conquerclub to make themselves feel better.) What I am concerned about are the newest players and the experience they have in their first game or games on the system. Will they lose those first few games? Probably. Improving their experience by providing options for their learning experience is what this sug is all about. nuf said.

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:52 am

Well, where would be the risk and reward of trying out a new map? You risk points to try out a map, and if you get good at it, you are rewarded in the end.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby SirSebstar on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:42 am

I do believe the learning curve for CC should be a bit lower. Things like bob or bombarding or settings should be explained step by step instead of just dumped on your head. I joined a long long while ago when there were much less maps. The maps and even some strats have gotten much much better. So much that a noob cannot be expected to do well in the beginning when facing a more experianced player. the knowledge gap is rising fast
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby Queen_Herpes on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:07 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:Well, where would be the risk and reward of trying out a new map? You risk points to try out a map, and if you get good at it, you are rewarded in the end.

One needn't play professional football before one plays PeeWee, after all, he's only 7 years old.
-ancient Chinese Proverb

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby JoshyBoy on Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:01 am

Is the original post up to date Queen_Herpes?
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:09 pm

Queen_Herpes wrote:Ultimately, Brand new players to a map will need a few games to understand the map.

This has nothing to do with the number of maps available. You can be the best there is at Classic and go "stinko" when you play Age of Merchants or AOR2. Some people take the time to learn a map. Some people play a few games, lose and go off whining. Good riddance to them! In the meantime, by cutting out whole groups of maps, you cheat many who would might decide they like those other maps. I would never have stayed premium for two years if it were not for the huge variety of maps here. If I was limited to "classic" type maps, I never would have joined. I quickly found that those who played those maps specialized. But, I have had a lot of fun playing the wide variety of maps out there.

If you had your way, I and a lot of other people never would join. Folks who want to just play classic type maps can now use the Cook's Forum training program. That option was not even available when I started. That, already is a "self-limiting" program.

What we need is a way for people to know by a description whether they might like a map or not.
Queen_Herpes wrote:Its the truth, its a reality and a player would have to spend an inordinate amount of time researching the map (prior to playing it for the first time) to win against a player who had experience on the map (whether the player-with-experience is an effective strategist or not.) Ultimately this whole suggestion comes down to the validity of the "rank." The only way to truly validate any rank is put in place some sort of control that allows for games to be measured or not measured.

Now you are getting into something else entirely, and a topic that has beed fodder for many, many, many threads.

The real truth is that there is only a loose connection between skill and rank. Skill matters, but so does luck. A Major is probably a good deal better, in skill than a cook. However, upper ranks tend to be dominated by people who "game" the system in various ways. I am not against that. A game is a game. The problem is when people try to claim that the system should be somehow perfect, that ranks should truly mean more than they do.

The truth is that even setting aside various "tricks" (freestyle "double turning" and missing turns were ones earlier, then farming, multism has always been an issue... etc.), the whole idea that we could have one ranking system to rank a player of AOR to a player of Classic , singles and teams, fog, nuclear spoils, etc....
is pretty strange.

Queen_Herpes wrote: While I never intend this suggestion to be debased to the point of suggesting eliminating the ranking system, it certainly makes sense to consider adding the option to either 1. play against the computer for no ranking points, or 2. to choose to play against an opponent without risking, earning, nor awarding ranking points. In every system (except here) where there is ranking, there is an option to "practice" or "scrimmage." Couldn't it be beneficial to the ranking system to build one of these two options in?

Try making this a separate suggestion, but do research all that has been said before, first. These are all things that have been discussed and discussed and discussed.
Corporal PLAYER57832

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions