Conquer Club

[PC] Update Explanatory Tags

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Do the explanatory tags need reviewing and possibly updating?

Yes.
86%
No.
14%

Total votes : 21

[PC] Update Explanatory Tags

Postby JoshyBoy on Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:01 pm

Concise description: A review and update of the current explanatory tags which can be used when leaving ratings.

Specifics/Details: Ok so I've seen a few threads recently around suggesting changes to some of the ratings explanatory tags so I am proposing a review and update of the tags.

We currently have 35 tags available when leaving ratings for our opponents. These tags are Quick or Slow, Deadbeat, Friendly, Funny, Helpful, Talkative or Silent, Rude, Complainer, Paranoid, Bully, Trustworthy or Backstabber, Good Teammate or Bad Teammate, Teammate Killer, Cooperative or Uncooperative, Brave or Coward, Irrational, Reckless, Suicider, Vindictive, Sore Loser, Quitter, Clueless, Balanced Play, Secret Diplomacy, Cheap Tactics, Leader or Follower, Good Strategy or Poor Strategy.

I believe that some of these are irrelevant, unneccessary, pointless, and we could use some new ones, as well as removing some of the current ones. It would be beneficial if there was some way to collect data and log how many times each tag has been used since the ratings system came out.

Explanatory tags I have scrutinised (with notes), there are eight in total.
  • Cooperative or Uncooperative - I don't think we need these two tags as you could use Good Teammate or Bad Teammate. If you are talking about non-team games I think that these tags are irrelevant. We could quite easily find other tags to replace these two tags.
  • Irrational - Matter of opinion as to what is, or is not, rational surely? This could also be thrown in with Reckless below. Make way for a new tag?
  • Reckless, Suicider - These two are kind of similar or could at least be misconstrued as the same sort of thing. Could we not remove one?
  • Vindictive, Sore Loser - These two are also kind of similar. Vindictive could be changed to "Bad Sport" or "Poor Sportsmanship".
  • Secret Diplomacy - For me, the most controversial tag. If you rate a player and use this tag you should be filing a C&A report and the player should be banned. If you don't then you are just throwing accusations about. Therefore this tag is unneccesary and, in my opinion, should be removed.

Proposed changes to the explanatory tags.
  • Remove six of the eight explanatory tags above and/or replace them with new ones.
  • As of now, I am not going to list any, but new tags such as "magnaminous", "noble", or "honourable" are some that I have been thinking about.
  • It would be great to have lots of input and ideas from the community.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments: A much more relevant and "user friendly" ratings system. Besides, it's always good to be updated.

That's my thoughts, all input and feedback is welcome!
:D
Last edited by JoshyBoy on Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Re: Explanatory tags - review and update?

Postby JoshyBoy on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:38 am

Anyone? :)
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby Darwins_Bane on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:46 am

well for one. vindictive would be if someone suicides into you, then you decide to get them back and follow through. sore loser would be whining. i would say those should both stay. i think that a couple more tags should probably be brought it. I remember seeing a thread around somewhere with some good suggs on new ones. also reckless could be where i leave very little to defend territories i own and push others hard, which is different from suiciding i think. I agree that some of them should be either or. Perhaps instead of removing tags just adding a few more if they're good suggestions? I can't agree about the secret diplomacy tag tho. sometimes ppl are accused but because of lack of evidence are only noted. this is like another way to show others they use cheap tactics.
high score : 2294
02:59:29 ‹Khan22› wouldn't you love to have like 5 or 6 girls all giving you attention?
10/11/2010 02:59:39 ‹TheForgivenOne› No.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby JoshyBoy on Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:58 am

You make some fair points but I think that we could maybe cut back on the current tags, then add new ones in, so as not to give too many to choose from.

However....
Darwins_Bane wrote:also reckless could be where i leave very little to defend territories i own and push others hard, which is different from suiciding i think.

Surely that could be tagged as poor strategy?

Darwins_Bane wrote:I can't agree about the secret diplomacy tag tho. sometimes ppl are accused but because of lack of evidence are only noted. this is like another way to show others they use cheap tactics.

Then just tag them with cheap tactics, poor strategy etc. I stand by my statement that we should not have this particular tag.

To be honest, I think that most people will agree that we could probably add one or two really good new tags.

Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby Darwins_Bane on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:04 am

JoshyBoy wrote:You make some fair points but I think that we could maybe cut back on the current tags, then add new ones in, so as not to give too many to choose from.

However....
Darwins_Bane wrote:also reckless could be where i leave very little to defend territories i own and push others hard, which is different from suiciding i think.

Surely that could be tagged as poor strategy?

what if it works? then it would no longer be poor lol. but still reckless.
JoshyBoy wrote:
Darwins_Bane wrote:I can't agree about the secret diplomacy tag tho. sometimes ppl are accused but because of lack of evidence are only noted. this is like another way to show others they use cheap tactics.

Then just tag them with cheap tactics, poor strategy etc. I stand by my statement that we should not have this particular tag.

To be honest, I think that most people will agree that we could probably add one or two really good new tags.

and i think you're prob right here.
02:59:29 ‹Khan22› wouldn't you love to have like 5 or 6 girls all giving you attention?
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:07 am

I like your suggestion.
I especially like lumping a lot of stuff into "good sport"/"bad sport".

Because there is so much controversy over tactics, I think more detail is warrented there, perhaps. Instead of "forms unnannounced alliances", maybe "forms legal alliances", or "uses tactics I dislike"... etc.

I would also like to see a reference to language, since this is a biggie for some people. That is, some people really don't like swearing and so forth, others consider it "just a part of the game". Tags allow people to identify this, without making it a "bad" or "good rating".

The problem with the "bad teammate"/goodteammate is that too many people use it for non-team games OR they use it for opponents.

I would like to see some tags ONLY allowed for specific games -- teams, assassin, etc. AND I would like to see people within a team be allowed to judge their teammates -- "cooperates well in a team", (or other wording), as opposed to a general "plays team games well" or "plays team games poor", which could come from either opponents OR teammates.

Similarly, for Assassin, I think we need a tag that says "needs to read Assassin rules before playing again!"

Unfortunately, though, unless the tags are more accessible -- are "sortable" for example, any tag will do little good except for players who have played few games. Then, you always wonder if they got real, honest rankings or just happened to get a few people who generally rate bad/good.
Last edited by PLAYER57832 on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Darwins_Bane on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:11 am

perhaps also adding a tag for patient/impatient? and i dont just mean about whining cuz ppl arent taking their turns fast enough in a FS game. but rather gameplay-wise. this could be easily miscontrued tho.
PLAYER57832 wrote:Similarly, for Assassin, I think we need a tag that says "needs to read Assassin rules before playing again!"

I like this sugg. there should be more like it :)
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby JoshyBoy on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:28 am

Great feedback guys. I think a tag for patient/impatient would be great. "Needs to read the rules" could be phrased as naive? Sounds a little harsh but still....

I really like the idea of a tag for a player who is a "good sport", since we already have "bad sport" as "sore loser", and we don't have anything for the opposite of someone who is a bad sport.

Finally, I agree with you on the subject that some tags should only be available for specific games, particularly for team games ie. Good/Bad Teammate.

Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby SirSebstar on Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:31 pm

Secret Diplomacy - For me, the most controversial tag. If you rate a player and use this tag you should be filing a C&A report and the player should be banned. If you don't then you are just throwing accusations about. Therefore this tag is unneccesary and, in my opinion, should be removed.

I think mods might base verdicts on the amount of secret tags some player got as an indication of noticiable foul play. Also it is the only way to make this kind of thing/record known.
however, yes its all subjetive, an allegation without need for proof, so maybe it should go..
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby JoshyBoy on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:12 pm

SirSebstar wrote:
Secret Diplomacy - For me, the most controversial tag. If you rate a player and use this tag you should be filing a C&A report and the player should be banned. If you don't then you are just throwing accusations about. Therefore this tag is unneccesary and, in my opinion, should be removed.

I think mods might base verdicts on the amount of secret tags some player got as an indication of noticiable foul play. Also it is the only way to make this kind of thing/record known.
however, yes its all subjetive, an allegation without need for proof, so maybe it should go..

Secret Diplomacy should definately go. Just to stop any unpleasantries. Now what are we thinking for new tags? :-k

Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby squishyg on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:47 pm

i really agree with adding good sport. i think we need more positive tags. they tags currently provided seem more for criticizing than praising players. we also have waaaaay too many tags.

other tags that i agree with or want to add:
patient
impatient
gracious winner
fun player? (this is a game afterall, don't we want to have fun?)

tags that i agree/suggest should be eliminated:
secret diplomacy
reckless
brave/coward (this is a game, not a real war)
backstabber (cheap tactics or bad teammate cover this)
paranoid
teammate killer (bad teammate covers this)
clueless (poor strategy covers this in a less mean way)
talkative (confusing as to whether this is a positive or negative, friendly covers the positive and there's no need to criticize someone for talking in game chat, it's irrelevant)
vindictive (covered by poor strategy)
follower (covered by poor strategy or good teammate depending on whether its positive or negative)
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby Jatekos on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:41 pm

JoshyBoy wrote:Cooperative or Uncooperative - I don't think we need these two tags as you could use Good Teammate or Bad Teammate. If you are talking about non-team games I think that these tags are irrelevant. We could quite easily find other tags to replace these two tags.

I use these tags regularly, although I do not play team games. There is a stage in each game when one of the players starts to dominate the map, but can be stopped from winning if the others work together. This is a very important feature (i.e. if someone is able to realize the danger and put feud aside for a common short term goal or not), and I would like to continue using these tags. What other tags would you like them to be replaced with? Would they apply more to the situation I described above?

JoshyBoy wrote:
  • Vindictive, Sore Loser - These two are also kind of similar. Vindictive could be changed to "Bad Sport" or "Poor Sportsmanship".
  • Secret Diplomacy - For me, the most controversial tag. If you rate a player and use this tag you should be filing a C&A report and the player should be banned. If you don't then you are just throwing accusations about. Therefore this tag is unneccesary and, in my opinion, should be removed.

You are suggesting to use general terms instead of specific ones. True, 'bad sport' could be used instead all of these, but then we would miss the details. I would rather keep the specific tags and avoid using e.g. poor sportmanship, because it is too general. If someone received a 'poor sportmanship' tag how would we know the reason? Do we want to check the relevant games to find it out or would it be better if there were a couple of tags for the main cases, and we could use them instead?

It is probably not the right word, but I would add something like liar or deceptive. You know, there are people who are so deceptive and exaggerate so much that it becomes annoying. It is also one form of bad sportmanship, but it is quite different from e.g. being vindictive, which would be also categorized as bad sportmanship according to your suggestion.
Major Jatekos

Postby squishyg on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:08 am

deceit is part of the strategy of the game. i strongly oppose adding that tag.

after sleeping on it, i retract my vote for patient/impatient. if someone is being outwardly impatient, then they are being rude. if someone is being patient, good sport or friendly would cover it.
Robinette wrote:

The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:44 am

One positive tag I would like to see is "helpful".
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Darwins_Bane on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:48 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:One positive tag I would like to see is "helpful".

You should check your ratings more carefully? (It's there)
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby Jatekos on Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:06 pm

squishyg wrote:deceit is part of the strategy of the game. i strongly oppose adding that tag.

Yes, I know that it is, for part of the players. However, there are ones that can win without using it, and maybe not everyone likes it (some may even honour it with an appropriate negative tag ;)).
Major Jatekos

Postby squishyg on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:21 pm

Jatekos wrote:
squishyg wrote:deceit is part of the strategy of the game. i strongly oppose adding that tag.

Yes, I know that it is, for part of the players. However, there are ones that can win without using it, and maybe not everyone likes it (some may even honour it with an appropriate negative tag ;)).

i get what you're saying, but can't we just tag that player with cheap tactics then?
Robinette wrote:

The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby Darwins_Bane on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:08 am

squishyg wrote:
Jatekos wrote:

i get what you're saying, but can't we just tag that player with cheap tactics then?

I agree. If I'm playing a foggy game I like to shout out false claims in chat if someone else is revealing stacks. if they do reveal stacks they get a cheap tactics tag.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby Jatekos on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:04 pm

squishyg wrote:
Jatekos wrote:

We could, but then it could refer to multies and secret diplomacy as well (and maybe more). There could be very different reasons why a player is using this tag. Why should we use general terms that do not reveal what the rater thought to be important? E.g. if you are OK with deceit used, then you probably would not mind joining a game with someone who received a lot of deceit tags. On the other hand, you may not want to join a game with someone who e.g. received a lot of secret diplomacy tags.
I think we should distinguish a couple of key cases that incorporate cheap tactics, and use those specific terms instead.
Major Jatekos

Postby alex951 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:56 pm

Nothing more specific then being able to write your own feedback ;)
Corporal alex951

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:56 pm

alex951 wrote:Nothing more specific then being able to write your own feedback ;)

Already a thread asking for that ;)
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby JoshyBoy on Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:10 am

TheForgivenOne wrote:
alex951 wrote:Nothing more specific then being able to write your own feedback ;)

Already a thread asking for that ;)

Yeah unfortunately I think the old feedback system, like Flame Wars, will not be returning. A shame really because I liked the feedback system.

Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby Arama86n on Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:52 am

I have always tried to use the ratings sytem fairly. If I have an overrepresentation of 5stars and "good ratings" it's because I try not to rate unless I get a real feel for the persons playing style. ie, a escalating game thats "over before it begins" I don't rate except the winner, because, it's very hard to form an objective opinion about the other players, somtimes hard to form one about the winner too.

I really like freedom of choice with ratings, so I'm very much *against* taking AWAY options. They are never irrelevant, and Can be used to describe the subtulties of varying situations. (eahc game is after all unique)

I would like to make the more offtopic suggestion of creating MORE *positive* options. There are plenty of options for poor/rude players, but fewer tags to describe the great/honourable players one meets

my five cents.
Major Arama86n

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:14 am

Trouble is, how many people ever actually take the time to READ other people's tags?
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Arama86n on Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:18 am

I know I check other peoples ratings every day for a wide variety of reasons.
Major Arama86n

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions