Conquer Club

[Rules] Drop from all awaiting games after missed turn

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

[Rules] Drop from all awaiting games after missed turn

Postby Queen_Herpes on Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:04 pm

Concise description:
  • When a player misses a turn, drop him/her from all awaiting games like to like. Casual missed turn results in drop of all casual games. Speed missed turn results in drop of all speed games.

Specifics/Details:
  • When a player misses a speed turn...drop him/her from all awaiting speed games
  • When a player misses a casual turn...drop him/her from all awaiting casual games

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Will help if a player is out without a sitter, that potential opponents or teammates don't have to wait for more missed turns or a lost teammate.
  • This might really help with new recruits who are awaiting games and have simply bailed on the site. If they miss a turn because they are never coming back, then they get dropped from all of their games (especially important for those 8 player games and any team games.)
  • Could also impact the frowned upon use of a missed turn as a tactic, could also impact the frowned upon deadbeat.
Last edited by Queen_Herpes on Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Re: Drop from all awaiting games with missed turn

Postby jrh_cardinal on Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:17 pm

A person with less than 100% turns taken is suggesting this :P

This suggestion is just bad. I mean 1 turn? It's a big deal to be dropped from clan war and tourney games, and you're saying that should be the punishment for missing one turn?

You're saying that if a person is playing a speed game, and they go to the bathroom or something, that they should have to get dropped from all of their pending games. Or if it starts storming and the power goes out. Or if the games been going on for 2+ hours and they are forced to log off. I mean, all of these things are not ideal situations, but come on, dropped from all of their games :-s
Sergeant 1st Class jrh_cardinal

Postby jefjef on Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:23 pm

Naw. What should be dropped is deferred troops. Miss a turn and not get any missed turn deploy at all.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:24 pm

To me it sounds like a benefit for players and not a punishment. I like this idea - if I started three speed games, and one of them actually started and then I had to abruptly leave, I'd want to be dropped from my other games immediately so that they didn't start and force me to deadbeat out of games I didn't even play in.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:08 pm

Would this have a negative impact on Tournaments as a whole? Or Clan Challenges?

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:15 pm

I think it would; when I read it, I immediately thought it would make sense if you were dropped from all speed games, but not from all games in general.

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:20 pm

Perhaps if others seem to agree it would have more negative impacts in its current state, someone could tailor it to speed games only, and investigate issues from that stand point? But in any case, more feedback is warranted.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Darwins_Bane on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:43 pm

but you're already dropped after 15 mins away. regular games aren't affected only speed. I can't help feeling like this suggestion is a modification of current rules.
high score : 2294
02:59:29 ‹Khan22› wouldn't you love to have like 5 or 6 girls all giving you attention?
10/11/2010 02:59:39 ‹TheForgivenOne› No.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:59 pm

Darwins_Bane wrote:but you're already dropped after 15 mins away. regular games aren't affected only speed. I can't help feeling like this suggestion is a modification of current rules.

Sure, but it's entirely possible that you join three games at once, and one starts immediately, and then your power goes out or something. There's potentially a 10 minute window where people can join the games that you're no longer playing in, forcing you to lose points in those because you can't play. So, in those cases, it would be a huge boon to not have to suffer lost points to games you couldn't possibly play.

Then again, the inconvenience may be huge if you have 10 speed games waiting and you accidentally miss a turn in an active speed game because you went to the bathroom or took too long in another game.

Postby Darwins_Bane on Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:22 am

its highly unlikely that anyone who has created 10 speed games would have all of them joined in 15 mins. that being said. If it were to happen, then you would lose points yes but they can be gotten back. and in reality, as has been stated before. Not that many ppl play more than maybe 2-3 speed games. you're losing 60 points. pretty easy to get that back.

EDIT: And think of the other downside. you accidentally go away for a few minutes and get dropped from all waiting games. or anything like that.
02:59:29 ‹Khan22› wouldn't you love to have like 5 or 6 girls all giving you attention?
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:18 am

Darwins_Bane wrote:its highly unlikely that anyone who has created 10 speed games would have all of them joined in 15 mins. that being said. If it were to happen, then you would lose points yes but they can be gotten back. and in reality, as has been stated before. Not that many ppl play more than maybe 2-3 speed games. you're losing 60 points. pretty easy to get that back.

I'm not really convinced that if we have a way to protect players from losing points when they shouldn't, that we should not do it simply because they can play other games to get the points back.

EDIT: And think of the other downside. you accidentally go away for a few minutes and get dropped from all waiting games. or anything like that.

Why would you go away for a few minutes while you're playing a speed game, other than for reasons out of your control like a power outage or computer crash?

Postby Darwins_Bane on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:22 am

Naming 5 things off the top of my head: Food, girlfriend, tv, bathroom, smoke.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:43 am

Darwins_Bane wrote:Naming 5 things off the top of my head: Food, girlfriend, tv, bathroom, smoke.

My point is that it's irresponsible of you to randomly leave a speed game like that, and you'll miss more turns than just one if games start and you're not at your computer. It just ends up sucking for the other players that way.

Postby Darwins_Bane on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:33 am

its irresponsible to forget? ummm...ok.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:45 am

Darwins_Bane wrote:its irresponsible to forget? ummm...ok.

No, it's irresponsible to leave in the middle of a speed game. If you forget to come back after you leave, then you shouldn't be penalized by adding games that you aren't going to play.

Postby Darwins_Bane on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:02 pm

its already been said in the past. Life has this way of coming up. and the 15 mins is there to mitigate the loss already. can you come up with even a couple examples of where this was detrimental and needs to be shortened?
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:09 pm

Darwins_Bane wrote:its already been said in the past. Life has this way of coming up. and the 15 mins is there to mitigate the loss already. can you come up with even a couple examples of where this was detrimental and needs to be shortened?

I don't understand why you're so actively against this. It could save some people losing points from games they don't end up playing, and save their opponents from the bore of a game where they have to wait for three missed turns. Doesn't that just sound like a good thing?

Postby Darwins_Bane on Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:17 pm

It seems like a redundant update, considering they already have something similar. I'm against it because I don't think it will be implemented and because I would rather see other updates get put up, considering they don't update that often.
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Postby Queen_Herpes on Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:07 pm

I updated the original post to relate like-to-like as requested by previous posters. If you miss a speed turn, you get dropped from awaiting speed games. This does not drop you from your active games, just drops those games you were awaiting. Similarly, if you miss a casual turn, you are dropped from awaiting casual games.

Here's the situation:
For whatever reason you miss a turn. Perhaps if you were playing a speed game, you lost your internet connection. To spare you from missing turns in games that haven't even started yet, you are dropped from those speed games that haven't started. You don't risk losing more points in case you cannot get back online.

Another scenario:
You go to the bathroom. You miss your turn. It turns out, you're having a bout of amoebic dysentery. You cannot get back to the computer to exit all of your awaiting speed games. Since you missed that one speed turn, you are dropped from your awaiting speed games. In the event that the amoebic dysentery turns out to simply be a case of indigestion, and you get back to your computer, you can simply join or start new speed games.

There really isn't a reason to be opposed to this from the speed game perspective. I would argue that there isn't a good reason to be opposed to this from the casual game perspective either. If you miss a turn in a casual game, you're probably going to miss more turns and potentially lose games in casual. 24 hours is a long time to be away from the game. Why would you want to miss more turns in casual games that haven't even started yet?

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby Timminz on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:01 pm

A single missed turn is far too quick. Perhaps this would be a better suggestion for when someone misses 3 turns consecutively.
Captain Timminz

Postby Metsfanmax on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:09 pm

Timminz wrote:A single missed turn is far too quick. Perhaps this would be a better suggestion for when someone misses 3 turns consecutively.

For speed games, this won't work, because that means 15 minutes will have passed, so those games will have dropped on their own.

Postby Timminz on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:44 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
Timminz wrote:A single missed turn is far too quick. Perhaps this would be a better suggestion for when someone misses 3 turns consecutively.

For speed games, this won't work, because that means 15 minutes will have passed, so those games will have dropped on their own.

That's fine by me. In my opinion, it's absolutely unnecessary to boot people after a single miss. Perhaps this could be a setting on one's profile. A checkbox reading, "drop me from waiting games upon missed turn" maybe. I , for one, would never check that box, and I would be quite upset if I started getting dropped from my waiting games every time I missed a turn because I got caught up in the forums in between turns, or some such.
Captain Timminz

Postby jrh_cardinal on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:45 pm

upon further thought I will not complain about this suggestion for speed games. I still disagree a little bit, but I certainly understand.

but casual? Let me try quoting the home page
home page (lack) wrote:Conquer Club is designed for the casual gamer

yes, I know that does not mean you should miss turns, but really, you're saying that just because I can't log on for 24 hours and 30 minutes that I should get dropped from all waiting games? Life does not revolve around CC, casual gamers have other things to do on occasion, and a punishment for missing one turn should not extend across games (for missing a turn in one game, you should not be punished in another game)

Andy- it would definitely affect Tournaments, could affect Clan Wars. For Clan Wars, if the other Clan was stringent, they could say that the games did not start in time, and could make your clan forfeit all of your waiting games (and 3 or 4 wins is huge in close clan wars).

For tournaments it's even worse because it's not just a punishment for you, it's a punishment to the great volunteers that put their valuable time into running all of the awesome tournaments we have. People not joining games is a relatively common problem in tournaments, which is why reserves are necessary. You are simply compounding this problem if someone in the tournament is dropped from their waiting games because of missing one stupid turn. Yes, it does punish the player, since they can no longer win the tournament, but so? There's 50 other tournaments they can go join, but it can create big problems for a TO who is out of reserves.

The suggestion that should be implemented is getting rid of deferred troops

Postby Queen_Herpes on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:37 pm

Timminz wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

That's fine by me. In my opinion, it's absolutely unnecessary to boot people after a single miss. Perhaps this could be a setting on one's profile. A checkbox reading, "drop me from waiting games upon missed turn" maybe. I , for one, would never check that box, and I would be quite upset if I started getting dropped from my waiting games every time I missed a turn because I got caught up in the forums in between turns, or some such.

I think you are off your rocker. You're screwing up an existing game with your missed turn, why screw up other games with more missed turns? Not to mention the fact that you're doing what amounts to irrepairable damage to the game you are playing by missing the turn. I completely understand that things come up to miss a turn, but this is more for the others that you affect (team games, making opponents wait, assassin games). In fact, the only reason I can see for supporting maintaining the current system is to point dump or to do the frowned upon practice of using those deferred troops to your advantage.

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby jrh_cardinal on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:27 pm

Queen_Herpes wrote:
Timminz wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

I think you are off your rocker. You're screwing up an existing game with your missed turn, why screw up other games with more missed turns? Not to mention the fact that you're doing what amounts to irrepairable damage to the game you are playing by missing the turn. I completely understand that things come up to miss a turn, but this is more for the others that you affect (team games, making opponents wait, assassin games). In fact, the only reason I can see for supporting maintaining the current system is to point dump or to do the frowned upon practice of using those deferred troops to your advantage.

I think you are off your rocker :P . How can you say that things come up to miss a turn, but that you should be dropped from games that you have an absolute minimum of 24 hours to take your turn in, and that's if they start right when you miss the turn. I mean, what, you have to work late then go out for dinner and a movie, and don't get home till midnight or later, and you had only taken your turns through 11 PM. Therefore you missed turns for an hour, but you're back in PLENTY of time to take any turns from games that had not yet started.

IMO, you've had a very narrow viewpoint in all of your suggestions QH. It's great that you're trying to improve the site, and many of your sugs are good, but it seems to me that whenever someone disagrees with you, you fail to understand/consider their point of view. People miss turns, and they are not point dumping or "using deferred troops to their advantage", it's very often that they just had a busy day or whatever, CC is not #1 on everyone's priority list.

Punishments for something like a missed turn should not spread across games, you should only get punished in that one game.

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions