Conquer Club

Gay should not be considered taboo

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Gay should not be considered taboo

Postby Symmetry on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:12 am

Concise description:
Using the word "gay" should not be deemed automatically a bigoted term.

Specifics/Details:
I received a ban from chat for using the word "gay". The mod who delivered the ban thought that I should make a suggestion topic. I was surprised that CC considered it to be a slur.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:

I think that the word "gay" shouldn't be taboo and seen as an insult. It bothers me that CC currently thinks it is taboo. The site would, in my opinion, be better off if the word "gay" was not considered taboo under the current rules
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re: Gay should not be considered taboo

Postby Lord Arioch on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:20 am

That would depend on the context of using the word.
Cant people just be polite and play games instead?
Captain Lord Arioch

Postby Symmetry on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:28 am

Lord Arioch wrote:That would depend on the context of using the word.
Cant people just be polite and play games instead?

For me, "gay" is not an impolite word, and having the word considered as not something that should be used is kind of the issue.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Lord Arioch on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:53 am

Well i tend to agree with u... its not impolite per se. BUT it can be used in a way thats demeaning, and i think thats why CC dont want to allow it. The funny thing is if u are GĀ¤y and u want to describe yourself as that how do u do it when its not allowed:)

What should be done it think is to smash down hard on thoose that uses the word wrong. Not on the word itself cause there is nothing bad/evil or wrong with it... and there are plenty of id&%ots around that dont respect people for various stuff they should be hammered!
Captain Lord Arioch

Postby Symmetry on Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:18 am

Lord Arioch wrote:Well i tend to agree with u... its not impolite per se. BUT it can be used in a way thats demeaning, and i think thats why CC dont want to allow it. The funny thing is if u are GĀ¤y and u want to describe yourself as that how do u do it when its not allowed:)

What should be done it think is to smash down hard on thoose that uses the word wrong. Not on the word itself cause there is nothing bad/evil or wrong with it... and there are plenty of id&%ots around that dont respect people for various stuff they should be hammered!

The mod who banned me argued a similar position- that the current rules take the word as bigotry automatically. He seems to be in a position where he's enforcing a rule he thinks should be changed.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Lord Arioch on Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:37 am

Thats stupid! U should look at the context of using words ... not just a word grabbed out of context!
Captain Lord Arioch

Postby betiko on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:52 am

yes, i think the way it's enforced is a bit ridiculous.
a lot of things that are way worse can be said on this site, but if it comes to sexual orientation that's like the end of the world. Like wishing someone's death and shit is ok here...
Major betiko

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:06 am

So what was the actual context the word was used in? Or are we just going to have to draw conclusions about this from an incomplete set of facts?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:27 am

Symmetry wrote:
Lord Arioch wrote:Well i tend to agree with u... its not impolite per se. BUT it can be used in a way thats demeaning, and i think thats why CC dont want to allow it. The funny thing is if u are GĀ¤y and u want to describe yourself as that how do u do it when its not allowed:)

The mod who banned me argued a similar position- that the current rules take the word as bigotry automatically. He seems to be in a position where he's enforcing a rule he thinks should be changed.

So this suggestion should be implemented quickly, right?

Perhaps this is a "live chat" quirk. If I recall, global moderators took context into account when making bigotry (and other) determinations (or at least I did when I was a global moderator). That being said, I remember Andy (or someone in a head job position) telling me that chat was a different place.

Just out of curiousity, how many times have you used the word "gay" in the forums and how many time were you banned for it? I think you've used the word at least five times in the last 24 hours (and I've just used it here). I think under the escalating systems, I'm up to a one day ban so I'll let you know when the ban comes down for bigotry for me using the word "gay." Shit, I did it again.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Symmetry on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:50 am

mrswdk wrote:So what was the actual context the word was used in? Or are we just going to have to draw conclusions about this from an incomplete set of facts?

Trini hasn't given me an exact context beyond saying that using the word "gay" with regards to someone else is currently a major violation of the rules.

I've pieced together a few more details, but I can't be sure of them.

Essentially, I'm told that I used the word "gay" in a conversation with another player in Live Chat. That resulted in a chat ban for myself and the player I was talking too.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Symmetry on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:53 am

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

So this suggestion should be implemented quickly, right?

Perhaps this is a "live chat" quirk. If I recall, global moderators took context into account when making bigotry (and other) determinations (or at least I did when I was a global moderator). That being said, I remember Andy (or someone in a head job position) telling me that chat was a different place.

Just out of curiousity, how many times have you used the word "gay" in the forums and how many time were you banned for it? I think you've used the word at least five times in the last 24 hours (and I've just used it here). I think under the escalating systems, I'm up to a one day ban so I'll let you know when the ban comes down for bigotry for me using the word "gay." Shit, I did it again.

Never been banned for using the word "gay" before. so finding out that it was a major violation of the rules and a bigoted word was kind of surprising.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:52 pm

Maybe it was felt you were using the word gay as a homophobic slur (lol - the irony!).

Shoot first, don't reappraise later. The one constant.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Symmetry on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:59 pm

mrswdk wrote:Maybe it was felt you were using the word gay as a homophobic slur (lol - the irony!).

Possibly, but of the word with regards to anyone is currently seen as bigotry according to the mod,
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby JBlombier on Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:05 pm

Symmetry wrote:Trini hasn't given me an exact context beyond saying that using the word "gay" with regards to someone else is currently a major violation of the rules.

Essentially, I'm told that I used the word "gay" in a conversation with another player in Live Chat. That resulted in a chat ban for myself and the player I was talking too.

That sounds completely ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with using the word 'gay', unless you use it as an insult. Even then, I wouldn't be insulted if someone called me gay. It'd have to an explicit homophobic comment, not towards a specific person, but insulting to homosexuality. I don't know you that well, Symmetry, but I don't think you wrote something like that from the posts I've read earlier from you.

Very questionable decision, seemingly one that is made by the personal preference of the mod. I'll refrain from actual mud-throwing until the mod has come here to defend himself, though.
Colonel JBlombier

Postby Symmetry on Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:14 pm

JBlombier wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Trini hasn't given me an exact context beyond saying that using the word "gay" with regards to someone else is currently a major violation of the rules.

That sounds completely ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with using the word 'gay', unless you use it as an insult. Even then, I wouldn't be insulted if someone called me gay. It'd have to an explicit homophobic comment, not towards a specific person, but insulting to homosexuality. I don't know you that well, Symmetry, but I don't think you wrote something like that from the posts I've read earlier from you.

Very questionable decision, seemingly one that is made by the personal preference of the mod. I'll refrain from actual mud-throwing until the mod has come here to defend himself, though.

The mod who made the decision suggested that I post a suggestion about changing the rules. My impression was that he personally disagreed with the rule, but had to enforce it in his role as a moderator. Hopefully the suggestion will be approved.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby JamesKer1 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:05 pm

If you get chat mods to support this, then they should probably bring it up for mods to discuss. I know that this probably belongs in Suggestions, but I'm not sure if it's a decision that should be made in Suggestions.

My rule of thumb, personally, is to try and stay classy. If the only way you can describe a person, situation, or to make a joke is to use words that could possibly be demeaning to audiences other than the target, then go read a dictionary. References to women's genitalia, women's sexual activity levels, mental abilities, sexual orientations, and the likewise in a demeaning way are all wishy-washy with the rules and are enforced differently by different mods in different situations (even though all should be treated as a severe infraction per Community Guidelines), so avoiding those words as much as possible is your best course of action.
Join CrossMapAHolics!

Stephan Wayne wrote:Every day is Fool's Day on CC.

A new era of monthly challenges has begun...
Private JamesKer1

Postby Symmetry on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:40 pm

JamesKer1 wrote:If you get chat mods to support this, then they should probably bring it up for mods to discuss. I know that this probably belongs in Suggestions, but I'm not sure if it's a decision that should be made in Suggestions.

My rule of thumb, personally, is to try and stay classy. If the only way you can describe a person, situation, or to make a joke is to use words that could possibly be demeaning to audiences other than the target, then go read a dictionary. References to women's genitalia, women's sexual activity levels, mental abilities, sexual orientations, and the likewise in a demeaning way are all wishy-washy with the rules and are enforced differently by different mods in different situations (even though all should be treated as a severe infraction per Community Guidelines), so avoiding those words as much as possible is your best course of action.

The mod who banned me PM'd me to say that he would support a suggestion. He was also the person who said a suggestion should be made.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby mrswdk on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:54 pm

Symmetry wrote:
mrswdk wrote:Maybe it was felt you were using the word gay as a homophobic slur (lol - the irony!).

Possibly, but of the word with regards to anyone is currently seen as bigotry according to the mod,

In the absence of a chat log of what you said and an explanation of exactly why the decision was taken to ban you, talking about this is going to be pretty fruitless.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby TeeGee on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:39 pm

in my personal opinion and I think most other Aussies, the word gay is not considered bigoted at all. Sydney has the GAY Mardi Gras and it is a hugely popular event. Homosexuals openly refer to them and their partners as being gay.

But many words between nations and cultures can have different meanings and I have always tried to incorporate that when I have to make a decision as a moderator.

However the site currently has a zero tolerance policy on the use of the word gay.

I would be happy to see the site policy on this changed.
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby codierose on Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 am

is there a list of what words cant be used
Major codierose

Postby TeeGee on Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:42 am

codierose wrote:is there a list of what words cant be used

As far as I know its only 2 words currently not allowed

1 starts with F and rhymes with duck and the other starts with C
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby codierose on Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:01 am

TeeGee wrote:

? So gay and the N word ok
Major codierose

Postby Lord Arioch on Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:22 am

Come on...
First the mods usually do a great unappriciated job! Kudos well earned to them and so on.

But words must be considered in their context some words can be used both in good way and a bad u cant judge them on a nonono basis u must put it in context. "normal" words can also be used to insult people, and if we open the lets ban door more we can scrap the entire forum.

1. people should be better at writing, and not troll and work activly to inslut people
2. context reading must be considered before passing a verdict
3. and plz remeber not everybody is as thick skinned as i and other people are:)

Man i feel like a hippie today, peace be on u:)
Captain Lord Arioch

Postby blakebowling on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:31 am

I've made a post to TeamCC letting them know that using the word gay alone should not be considered offensive or derogatory. Showing prejudice against homosexuals is still against our bigotry guidelines.
Private blakebowling

Postby tkr4lf on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:39 am

TeeGee wrote:

Wait, what? Seriously? f*ck and cunt aren't allowed to be used on this site? What the actual f*ck, man? That's pretty cunty of you guys.
Major tkr4lf

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions