Conquer Club

[GO] Speed Games / Varying Turn Time Limits Round Lengths

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Re: 5 minute limit on speed games.

Postby pjromano on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:19 am

I think it would be nice to allow premium members to define the time limit to something between 5 minutes and 24 hours. So, if you wanted, you could set up a 12 hour time, or 16 hour time, instead of it being 24 hours.

Certinaly, if it were 4 hours it would kind of be pointless because, contrary to popular belief, nobody is playing 24 hours a day and if you only had 4 hours to take your turn, you'd likely lose at least one turn, if not more.

But, like I said, having a 12 or 16 hour time limit might speed up those games that just seem to take days on end because people always are missing turns, or taking their turn during the 23rd hour.
Private 1st Class pjromano

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:33 am

Phlaim wrote:
Artie wrote:How about 30 seconds to begin your turn. Once your turn begins add 4 and a half minutes.

I just proposed that in this thread when I suddenly saw your post. I think this will speed up a LOT of seq games. =D>

Terrible Idea... Sometimes you need to think a bit before you start. Doubles, SEQ, Free etc. They all have thinking times. The time is fine if you ask me. Could even be longer, but shorter would cause many problems.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Re:

Postby KoE_Sirius on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:04 pm

Shino Tenshi wrote:To Andy and Herakiller:

Have either one of you ever played a freestyle speed game before, particularly with escalating cards?

If one such game were to last 20 rounds, I can guarantee you that at least 16 of those rounds would have at least 3 minutes, likely 4 minutes, burned off by 3/4's of the people sitting there and waiting for everyone else. I swear that most 4 player sequential games with active people in them go as fast as any freestyle game.

I think you two are the first people I've ever seen who've said that 5 minutes is a minimum. Absolutely everyone I've ever played with who's made a comment one way or the other have said that 5 minutes is an absurdly long time.

Any time I've ever seen someone actually need 5 minutes to take their turn, it's because they've eliminated someone and are continuing with their turn, which has already been dealt with by adding 2 1/2 minutes to the clock whenever someone is eliminated.

I don't know what the best way to fix the problem is, but it really, really needs to get fixed. It's insanely boring sitting there for 4 minutes out of any given round, waiting for the round to start.

The only three solutions that I've come up with myself are:

1) Variable clock settings (though I would agree a 1 minute clock would be pushing it, 2 minutes would do fine in most cases)

2) Installing a button for everyone to press if they're intending to sit there, and then have the clock drop to 1 minute after everyone pushes it. A 15 second warning would probably be good if such a thing were installed.

3) Dropping the clock to 1 minute if nobody does anything within 30 seconds.

I think the variable clock settings is the best option though. I would also think that 5 minutes for the first round would be best as well, so that no one misses a turn.

I don't know if there's any better solutions, but something's really gotta be done about the 5 minute turns. Most of the turns, by far, just drag out endlessly.

Yes and I noticed everytime you kill someone time is added to the clock .I believe its its 3 mins .If we keep this 3 minute add on the clock dont see a 2 minute speed game being a problem .
Highest Rank 4th.
Major KoE_Sirius

Postby Kemmler on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:25 pm

Part of the reason I'm quitting CC is because I have to wait every time - in most maps all moves are taken within the last 30 seconds, so staring at the map for 4 and a half minutes every round is just horrible. It would be so much more fun to play in 2 minutes.
Cook Kemmler

Postby White Moose on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:59 pm

Kemmler wrote:Part of the reason I'm quitting CC is because I have to wait every time - in most maps all moves are taken within the last 30 seconds, so staring at the map for 4 and a half minutes every round is just horrible. It would be so much more fun to play in 2 minutes.

I TOTALLY agree.. the most boring part of speed is to wait those first 4.5 min (in 1v1's mostly)... if it would be an option to play it in 2-min speed.. then that would be GREAT!
Highest Score: 3374
Major White Moose

time for turn

Postby Gunner1980 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:17 pm

Hi,
Not sure has this been discussed before, and i cannot seem to find it:
How about having an option in the settings to have for instance one hour for taking the turn. Does not have to be one hour, as long as it is something in between 5 minutes and 24 hours if you know what I mean. I think it would add a benefit to this site, cause some of us do not have the time to play a speed game and to look every few minutes to the screen, nor do we want to play an 6-men terminator/assassin and to have to wait 4 days to play one turn. If there was an option to have (for instance) 3-4-5 hours to play a turn I think that would be poyfect. Available to freemiums as well.
Sergeant 1st Class Gunner1980

Re: time for turn

Postby spiesr on Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:19 pm

It has been discussed before and rejected because people need to sleep or work or have lives and can't be at the computer once every hour or three hours or so on...
Captain spiesr

Postby Gunner1980 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:24 pm

lol, i do have a life too, 1-2-3 hrs was just an example, anything in a range from 5 minutes to 24 hrs is good. n/m, if it was discussed before then fget it, my bad.
Sergeant 1st Class Gunner1980

Postby Evan Thomas on Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:52 pm

i think what he is trying to say is that if some1 knows they cannot be at the comp in 24hrs then they can skip theier turn. or they could just get a babysitter :?
>----------āœŖ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! āœŖ----------<
Private Evan Thomas

Freestyle speed game length

Postby johnniewalker on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:40 am

Hi

It would be nice if the length of speed game could be determined at game creation instead of being fixed at 5minutes. This is particularly true for freestyle play as freestyle speed games always end up with everyone waiting for the last second to make their moves. I really like this type of play as it is fast and challenging but find I it annoying that every turn in a game like that will end up being 4 mintues of waiting and 1 minute of playing the turn. Being able to choose the length in 1 min increments would be super and not just for freestyle. It would mean that the people interested in playing more then 1 game at once could keep playing using 5min people who would rather concentrate on just 1 game but still want it moving at a brisk pace could set a lower time limit. I'm actually surprised this hasn't been implemented yet unless there is a technical reason for it.

my 2 cents
Lieutenant johnniewalker

Re: Freestyle speed game length

Postby lancehoch on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:19 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Regarding Speed Games, 5 minutes will almost always be the shortest length of turn we offer.

This has already been suggested in the thread SuperSpeed game option-You choose 1-5 minutes. Please continue the discussion there. Locked.
Sergeant lancehoch

Re: SuperSpeed game option-You choose 1-5 minutes

Postby White Moose on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:15 pm

We need this suggestion to make it through..

Perhaps change it so you can choose 2-min game length for 1v1 games only?

2 min is more than enough to take a turn in a 1v1 game.
Major White Moose

Postby Megadeth666 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:56 pm

White Moose wrote:

I agree, even on dial-up there is enough time, also it would eliminate alot of these people joining multiple speed games and missing there turns cause they are busy playing others....Maybe? even have 2 min speed games , miss 1 turn you lose, mmmm

I think it would be an easy option to apply, and have an intense speed game without the wait.

Another reason being in a 8 man speed ,you might have to wait almost 35 mins for a turn, which in my opinion is not a speed game........Very good suggestion!!
Private 1st Class Megadeth666

Postby White Moose on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:03 pm

Megadeth666 wrote:
White Moose wrote:

I agree, even on dial-up there is enough time, also it would eliminate alot of these people joining multiple speed games and missing there turns cause they are busy playing others....Maybe? even have 2 min speed games , miss 1 turn you lose, mmmm

I think it would be an easy option to apply, and have an intense speed game without the wait.

I don't think it would be good to change all speed games down to 2 min... i ment that it should be a option to set the time on the speed game.
Major White Moose

Postby BENJIKAT IS DEAD on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:35 pm

White Moose wrote:

No it's not! (well most of the time it is, but not always)
Colonel BENJIKAT IS DEAD

Postby White Moose on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:38 pm

BENJIKAT IS DEAD wrote:
White Moose wrote:

No it's not! (well most of the time it is, but not always)

For me it is at least.

But it should be an option.

like:

Time: 2 min / 5 min

So it fits everyone.
Major White Moose

Postby Megadeth666 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:16 pm

Megadeth666 wrote:

Thats exactly what I mean, an option for some 1 to join or not, some can join multiple speed games and have the chance of playing them all. But others just want 1 good speed game and play a turn at once, instead of waiting 4 mins and 58 sec, and the multi speed guy comes in deploys, than leaves for another 4 mins and 58 sec
Private 1st Class Megadeth666

Postby cicero on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:18 pm

Topics merged:

5 minute limit on speed games
5 minute
SuperSpeed game option-You choose 1-5 minutes

All threads discuss the same suggestion (despite the subject lines of the first two).

Please remember to use the 'search' box (it's next to the 'new topic' button) to see if there are existing discussions on a particular suggestion. That way, if you find an existing discussion, you can join in and also see any useful posts - both for and against - that might influence your own thinking. Thanks.

Back on topic I'd suggest that Andy has pretty much answered the request for a straight reduction in the round length by his posts here and here - now both within this thread.
Having said that Shino Tenshi makes a good reasoned post that something must be done ... Of his three numbered approaches to the problem as I say Andy has pretty much said no to number 1. There is however already a suggestion thread for number 2 - "skip a minute" button for speed games - please feel free to join the discussion there.

Cicero
FREE M-E-Mbership and simple rules. Conquer Club - it's not complicated.

random me statistic @ 13 December 2008 - 1336 posts : 232nd most public posts (not counting Tower of Babble) of all time.
Sergeant cicero

Location: with the infected neutrals ... handing out maps to help them find their way to CC

Time in Speed Games

Postby egri_bikaver on Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:51 pm

OK. Let me preface everything with "I am a new player."

Let me then say, without any embarrassment, that Speed Games move too fast.

From what I can tell, Speed games are the equivalent of having everyone sitting around the table (present at their computers) with the intent of focusing on the game in one sitting. However, the type of game this site is dedicated to is a strategy game, akin to chess if you will, and while there are certainly Speed varients of chess, it is far from the norm.

The problem that arises in Speed games is that some turns take longer to take than 5 minutes. When you are battling on multiple fronts, on larger more involved maps, or in cases where the rolls are especially good or bad from what you expected, it simply takes more time to assess the situation.

I propose the following:

1) Speed games should have a configurable timer.
2) Seconds could be added to the clock after certains actons.

Speed games should have a configurable timer.There is nothing wrong with a Speed Game that is truly a speed game at heart. You've got five minutes, you better damn well use them well. However, those who want the feeling of the table top session without the immediate pressure of having to rush through their turn, should have the option of choose 10 min timer or 7 min, or 3 min (works well with my second proposal), or whatever!

Seconds could be added to the clock after certains actons.
Some of you may be thinking, "10 min is great but i dont want to sit for that long when somone deadbeats". Neither do I! Why not start the time when its the players turn, and then add time to the clock (say 15-30 sec) whenever they complete an action? Whenever you deploy troops, whenever you attack a territory, whenever you fortify, whenever you cash in cards. All these actions would add seconds back to the, "shot clock" so to speak, up to the original time of the timer. The timer still encourages fast play, but is flexible enough to allow for some extra thinking if the need arises.

Think about it, you could have 2 minute games that move along quickly even with deadbeats (you only wait for two min instead of 5). And as long as you are taking your turn you never really are in danger of running out of time. And for the more relaxed speed game, I think we're all happy to wait, if someone is actually thinking and actively playing the game.

Anyone with me?!
Private 1st Class egri_bikaver

Re: Time in Speed Games

Postby The Neon Peon on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:02 pm

I am with the first part of the idea, about that the time should be adjusted (I am for less time, though).

However,I doubt people would use this suggestion to add time.

First off, the point of a speed game is to have a fast game and finish in one sitting. If people left, then it would be for an indefinite period of time, and would be more like a casual.

If you made the times longer... then the game would have to be finished in one sitting still; however, that sitting would be several hours long. Think about it... 15 minutes instead of 5... that makes the game 3 times longer, but you still have to pay attention (how much can you do in 15 minutes? you can't go anywhere.) So, lets make the time even longer, say enough to go run around and do something quickly... 25 minutes, maybe? Then the game is five times longer, and a few round game would last for several hours... Increase the time any more, and it would be impossible to finish the game in one sitting unless everyone ends their turn early, which is an rt casual game.

So, how would you even use this for your purposes? The add time every move... what if it is an escalating, and you are making a whole bunch of attacks? Then one round might go from 10 minutes to ending in 2 hours if it is 8 player.

I personally think that 5 minutes is too long... 3, 2 or even 1 minute games would be much better. Not having to wait 4:50 while people stall.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby Qwert on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:06 pm

I personally think that 5 minutes is too long... 3, 2 or even 1 minute games would be much better. Not having to wait 4:50 while people stall.

I like that,something to call "Super Speed Game" 2 minute to play your turn,or to have options from 5 minute to 1 minute,because these will be very interesting.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby egri_bikaver on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:18 pm

Hi Neon,

Thanks for taking the time to respond, but i think you might have misunderstood what i was saying (or i havent said it clearly enough! :? )

The Neon Peon wrote:
First off, the point of a speed game is to have a fast game and finish in one sitting. If people left, then it would be for an indefinite period of time, and would be more like a casual.

We agree on the point of a speed game, but if someone leaves during a speed game, their turn times out (this is both the case for how it is now and in my proposal).

The Neon Peon wrote:If you made the times longer... then the game would have to be finished in one sitting still; however, that sitting would be several hours long. Think about it... 15 minutes instead of 5... that makes the game 3 times longer, but you still have to pay attention (how much can you do in 15 minutes? you can't go anywhere.) So, lets make the time even longer, say enough to go run around and do something quickly... 25 minutes, maybe? Then the game is five times longer, and a few round game would last for several hours... Increase the time any more, and it would be impossible to finish the game in one sitting unless everyone ends their turn early, which is an rt casual game.

Absolutely. Increasing the turn time will increase the length, though timer length and game length are not as directly related as you imply. Most turns will take the same amount of time, but players will now have extra time to take their turn should they need it.

Also, I am not suggesting that turns be made so that people can run errands, but so that they have more time to strategize on turns that require a little more thought. You'll notice that i mentioned 7 and 10 minutes (and even one you would like, 3 minutes).

The Neon Peon wrote:So, how would you even use this for your purposes? The add time every move... what if it is an escalating, and you are making a whole bunch of attacks? Then one round might go from 10 minutes to ending in 2 hours if it is 8 player.

I think you missed the point i made about the timer being capped at the original limit. So time added during a 5 minute game will never cause the timer to exceed 5 minutes. So just as you said, you would actually love this. You could set a game for 2 minutes and never have to wait for anyone to do anything but take their turn, and as long as the are doing things to advance their turn, they wont run out of time. If they step away to do something else, then their timer continues to run and they timeout.

Still don't like the idea? You can change your vote... ;)

Postby Timminz on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:22 pm

Variations on this idea have been suggested numerous times already, and shot down each time.

personally, I was a fan of one suggestion that involved having a button to add time to a turn, when needed. People could use it when they need more time, but if you're not there to click the button, your turn ends in 5 minutes still.
Captain Timminz

(poll)SPEED GAMES TIME OPTIONS

Postby Qwert on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:26 pm

Concise description:Create options from 5 to 1 minute

Specifics:In Game finder instead 5 minute,will be more option for these gameplay,player will have choice to use:
-5 minute
-4 minute
-3 minute
-2 minute
-1 minute
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will improve the following aspects of the site:Bring more interesting games,and very chalenging
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Qwert on Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Re: SPEED GAMES TIME OPTIONS

Postby egri_bikaver on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:30 pm

That's silly...

How can you play a turn in one minute (without my seconds to added after action suggestion ;) )?

Think about it. Deploy, attack, cash-in, cash-in again if you conquer a player who has cards, reinforce. No way.

But it is possible if my options are implemented... see this post:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73282

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions