Conquer Club

Firefox 3

Archival storage to keep things organized and uncluttered. Can't find what you need? Search for old topics here.

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Firefox 3

Postby chipv on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:56 pm

RiskTycoon wrote:that didn't work chip ... I looked for the xpi to rename it and it didn't work ... I think these fixes are working for some and aren't for others .....

I'm not surprised because .xpi is the wrong extension, you need to rename the .ini, .cache, and .rdf extension files:

Corrupt extension files

Files that store information about the extensions you have installed can sometimes be corrupted. Deleting them can fix a number of extension issues; they will be regenerated the next time you start Firefox. Exit Firefox completely, then open your Firefox profile folder (read the linked article for its location) and delete* these three files:

extensions.ini
extensions.cache
extensions.rdf

* Note : Although unwanted files/folders can be deleted, renaming them is generally considered a safer option. This achieves the same result, but allows the user to retrieve any possibly required information from them later on. In the case above, rename the above 3 files as , 'extensionsOLD.ini', 'extensionsOLD.cache', 'extensionsOLD.rdf'

Unexpected installation error -203

Installing themes or extensions may fail with the message, Unexpected installation error -203. (If this occurs after a Software Update you may find that add-ons that were previously installed also do not work.) Follow the above directions to remove corrupt extension files. If the problem is not resolved and you use ZoneAlarm or CA Firewall, disable it temporarily (enable Windows Firewall in the interim) to allow the installation. If the problem persists, your profile may be corrupt (bug 361358). Use the Profile Manager to create a new profile or create a new default profile and then transfer your data to the newly-created profile.
Sergeant 1st Class chipv

Postby RiskTycoon on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:05 pm

could you please cite your source on that ....

is that the link up there ^ i think it is ... nevermind ... lol

chip have you actually tried that or are you just copying and pasting that link .....
I just tried it and that didn't work either .....
"How do you like that? Even among misfits you're a misfit!"
Major RiskTycoon

Postby RiskTycoon on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:10 pm

chipv wrote:
RiskTycoon wrote:that didn't work chip ... I looked for the xpi to rename it and it didn't work ... I think these fixes are working for some and aren't for others .....

I'm not surprised because .xpi is the wrong extension, you need to rename the .ini, .cache, and .rdf extension files:

Corrupt extension files

Files that store information about the extensions you have installed can sometimes be corrupted. Deleting them can fix a number of extension issues; they will be regenerated the next time you start Firefox. Exit Firefox completely, then open your Firefox profile folder (read the linked article for its location) and delete* these three files:

extensions.ini
extensions.cache
extensions.rdf

* Note : Although unwanted files/folders can be deleted, renaming them is generally considered a safer option. This achieves the same result, but allows the user to retrieve any possibly required information from them later on. In the case above, rename the above 3 files as , 'extensionsOLD.ini', 'extensionsOLD.cache', 'extensionsOLD.rdf'

Unexpected installation error -203

Installing themes or extensions may fail with the message, Unexpected installation error -203. (If this occurs after a Software Update you may find that add-ons that were previously installed also do not work.) Follow the above directions to remove corrupt extension files. If the problem is not resolved and you use ZoneAlarm or CA Firewall, disable it temporarily (enable Windows Firewall in the interim) to allow the installation. If the problem persists, your profile may be corrupt (bug 361358). Use the Profile Manager to create a new profile or create a new default profile and then transfer your data to the newly-created profile.

see this i did
start > run
firefox -Profilemanager
blah blah blah
still didn't work

stupid .... save yourself the headache and just use Firefox 2 ..... maybe chip will be kind enough to make his map rank script work with it .... it might already ... you would have to ask chip ... I don't do that kind of stuff lol
Major RiskTycoon

Postby chipv on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:20 pm

RiskTycoon wrote:could you please cite your source on that ....

is that the link up there ^ i think it is ... nevermind ... lol

chip have you actually tried that or are you just copying and pasting that link .....
I just tried it and that didn't work either .....

Ok, no I haven't tried it because I didn't have the problem.

Did you delete the .ini, .rdf and .cache files (I don't see in your posts).
Sergeant 1st Class chipv

Postby RiskTycoon on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:22 pm

hey chip,
i just sent you a PM maybe we could correspond over PM? i only have one or two questions for you ....

thanks,
RT
Major RiskTycoon

Postby Blitzaholic on Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:19 pm

chipv wrote:If you are getting corrupt extension file problems or 203 errors here is what to do: (Also gives tips on other problems too)

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_ins ... _-_Firefox

Go to the Corrupt Extensions Files section.

Follow the advice in the Note and rename the files rather than deleting them.

tried that, didnt work, i had like i said about 9 cc members try to and some with god computer skills, to no avail

this is why the frustration earlier, i am mad at no on,e just cant figure out why some cant get it and some can, oh well

hope FF2 stays around for long time, cause it works great for me, just miss the map rank
General Blitzaholic

Postby pancakemix on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:04 pm

I installed FF3 yesterday. I went back today because FF2>FF3.

Will future updates be compatible with FF2?
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby max is gr8 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:11 am

I'm still suffering the problem, however intermittently BOB works but none of the others do.
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Previous

Return to Tool Archives