Conquer Club

Script question

Archival storage to keep things organized and uncluttered. Can't find what you need? Search for old topics here.

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Script question

Postby gdeangel on Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:36 am

Can a script be used to record and send data. More specifically, someone developed a set of menus to check the box with ratings for something, could the status of those menu settings be emailed as a flat file to a central server / email? Or maybe something like storing it a browser cookie, and then one of the items on the menu would be a link to a central site that reads the cookie data and updates the database?

This is not for anything nefarious... I'm think of how I could implement an easy way for map testers to submit ratings on maps for a new project I'm trying to start up.

Thanks in advance for thoughts...
Sergeant gdeangel

Re: Script question

Postby yeti_c on Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:47 am

GM scripts can write to cookies - but a different site won't be able to read the cookie (cookies are only accessible by the site that made them)

However - a GM script can save and load data to it's own storage - and then when you went to a different site a "load" button could be available that sets the data to the other site that you've "saved" onthe first...

The data could quite easily be saved in (for instance) a CSV format that gets sent to a server that can decode it into a file...

Having said that - the external site would need a fair bit of coding to receive this data and then parse it into meaningful stuff...

But, yes, technically - it could be done via a GM script.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Return to Tool Archives