Conquer Club

Pearl Harbour...

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Pearl Harbour...

Postby Bavarian Raven on Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:16 pm

...has anyone else found how the starting bonuses work...my first game, first round i got 12 armies...

...be that as it may, what are your guys strageties for winning this game?
Sergeant 1st Class Bavarian Raven

Postby frogger4 on Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:49 pm

I have played a few pearl harbor games, this is what I found

1. the bonuses are even more important on this map since there are so many of them
2. whoever can control more aircraft seems to win because of the huge bonuses you get from them
3. use the AA guns, the planes cannot attack the AA guns but AA can attack planes (important so the other guy does not get those bonuses)
4. remember that there are several one way attack territories - use them to your advantage
5. try to control battleships, they seem to put you in a good place to attack from

hope this helps (any other ideas?)
Last edited by frogger4 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal frogger4

Postby frogger4 on Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:52 pm

Bavarian Raven wrote:...has anyone else found how the starting bonuses work...my first game, first round i got 12 armies...

for the starting bonuses, notice that you get armies for holding two of one type of plane
Last edited by frogger4 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal frogger4

Postby insomniacdude on Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:46 am

frogger4 wrote:
Bavarian Raven wrote:...has anyone else found how the starting bonuses work...my first game, first round i got 12 armies...

for the starting bonuses, notice that you get armies for holding two of one type of plane

As well as any AA territory.

The trick to the map I found is be mindful of the planes. Planes make or break an offense. If a person wants to get really aggressive, they will either need a two continents (like the Naval Yard and oil field, or Ford Island and SP Tenders, etc.) or a continent and some planes. Z1 an Z2 are incredibly valuable, since no AA gun can attack them and they can be simplified into one common border at Arizona.
Cadet insomniacdude

Postby RobinJ on Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:43 pm

I'm afraid it just makes me :sick:

Great map graphically but there's just too much going on
nmhunate wrote:Speak English... It is the language that God wrote the bible in.

Highest Score: 2437
Highest Place: 84
Sergeant 1st Class RobinJ

Changes to Pearl Harbor

Postby EdwinG on Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:55 pm

Having now played this map I would suggest several changes.
The bonus for having 2 planes in a group should be reduced from +3 to +1.
Ford Island is the key to winning. It's far to easy to defend and once you get it all you have to do is work clockwise around the island to win. The one-way attacks from Hanger A and Control Tower out to the ships should be two-way. The bonus for Ford Island is effectively +7 with the 2 AA batteries. I think this is too high.
Controlling any one of the battleships West Virginia, Oklahoma, or Tennessee cuts the map in half. There should be another way to work around this bottleneck.
I love the AA attacks. I think the AA batteries should have more targets.
High score: 3052 (January 2015) High Position: #75/3850 (March 2024)
Colonel EdwinG

Re: Changes to Pearl Harbor

Postby sully800 on Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:19 pm

EdwinG wrote:Having now played this map I would suggest several changes.
The bonus for having 2 planes in a group should be reduced from +3 to +1.
Ford Island is the key to winning. It's far to easy to defend and once you get it all you have to do is work clockwise around the island to win. The one-way attacks from Hanger A and Control Tower out to the ships should be two-way. The bonus for Ford Island is effectively +7 with the 2 AA batteries. I think this is too high.
Controlling any one of the battleships West Virginia, Oklahoma, or Tennessee cuts the map in half. There should be another way to work around this bottleneck.
I love the AA attacks. I think the AA batteries should have more targets.

I don't know about the Ford Island thing. There are lots of great places to start on the map! Just check out the oil fields. Defendable by two borders, but you can quickly expand into the planes just above the oil. Those share one of the borders, and you control the AA to bring down any opponents in there and prevent future attacks.

Overall its a map with many high bonuses, which is fun because you have a lot of options and you get to have large battles right away.
Major sully800

Postby TipTop on Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:25 am

I wouldn't mind the high bonuses if you had to fight to get them first. A high bonus map would probably make the game better to play, but when some players get 11-12 reinforcements at the start while others get 3-4 it just makes the luck of the drop too important.

Oh and the plane bonuses stack. holding all 7 zero's for instance gives you 14 reinforcements!
Captain TipTop

Postby Aerial Attack on Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:30 am

TipTop wrote:Oh and the plane bonuses stack. holding all 7 zero's for instance gives you 14 reinforcements!

This is an incorrect statement. The way that BOB reads the XML causes this error. BOB does not properly handle pairings for partial bonuses. Therefore, it does not assign them until ALL terrs in a bonus are held. This causes them not to show whilst partials and then to incorrectly show whilst full. So, BOB gives out incorrect predictions on Pearl Harbor and Italy.

If you notice when a player with all the planes in a particular group starts their turn, they only receive the correct amount of armies (full) and none of the "extra" partials.
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby TipTop on Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:44 pm

Thanks Aerial. I didn't know about the bob error. His bonuses were broken before he could receive them.
Captain TipTop

Postby Coleman on Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:57 pm

Regardless, attacking the people with planes is the right thing to do if they are near where you want to build.

I find this map scary too, no games on it for me tell I feel better about it. If I lose I want it to be because someone else was dumb or better, not because I don't know what's going on.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby paulk on Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:32 pm

I love this map.
Partly because so many players don't seem to understand all possibilitys in it.

I have played it maybe 10 times now and this is what I have found out:

First of all, try to get and hold pairs of all 3 planes since they give you incredibly fat bonuses and are "half invisible" to new players.
The best spots are:
Nevada-Z1-Z2,
Oklahoma-K3-K6,
and Breese-V2-V1 OR RunwayC-V4-V6 (Both last two needs some extra holding spots).
I just won a game - 983648 - where I ONLY held the points Nevada and Breese, and where I was the weakest player, but stood still and fortified until someone left an opening by mistake.

Second.
Know the Oil borders. Oil C and Oil A connect to Dry Dock. Many people don't get this.

Third.
Try to hold Destroyers and Z4 to Z7. You get a bonus of 6+4 (or 6+3 if someone decides to use the AA gun at you) and you only have to defend yourself at 2 points. (Although I recommend to have an extra defend post at Dewey t strike back with if anyone tries.)

Fourth.
Dont waste your energy on Miners unless its an easy target, since its only worth 3 and hard to defend. You usually just get in the middle of crossfire between Ford Island and Destroyers.

Thats basicly it. Now go and win some games :) And if you play against me, thank me in the chat if this worked for you. That way I know not to open my big mouth again :D
Major paulk

Postby DAZMCFC on Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:51 pm

i`m in my 2nd game on this map(escalating), i`ve just wiped out 3 players and cashed in 4 sets of cards. had all the z`s and 4 k`s, the navy yard and oil fields. then the next player goes, cashed in worth 40(i think), wiped me out in navy yard and oil field. gutted. :roll:
high score:2765
high place:116
Major DAZMCFC

Postby Herakilla on Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:55 pm

your right about the oil borders but dont forget that the oil tap is attackable from district HQ so in essence if you dont have the dock its 4 territory bonus 3 with dock
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby frogger4 on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:44 pm

DAZMCFC wrote:i`m in my 2nd game on this map(escalating), i`ve just wiped out 3 players and cashed in 4 sets of cards. had all the z`s and 4 k`s, the navy yard and oil fields. then the next player goes, cashed in worth 40(i think), wiped me out in navy yard and oil field. gutted. :roll:

that is playing escalating, with all of the bonuses, I don't think that is to great of an idea
Corporal frogger4

Postby DAZMCFC on Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:32 pm

it`s a brilliant idea as i`m about to win about 80 points. :lol:
high score:2765
high place:116
Major DAZMCFC

This map is one of my favorites

Postby killaknight on Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:25 pm

I think the the naval yard and/or the oil fields are the best place to start.

If you can get the dry dock and the cruisers you get a 8 bonus. the whole southern area of that map has the best opportunity for bonuses and is relatively easy to defend.

The oil field is a good choice because it has the AA gun to take out the planes of players that might be menacing your control of the oil yards.

If you can manage to get the naval yard, oil yard and cruisers you will have a great chance of winning the game. you should have at the very least 24 armies per turn and if you have Oklahoma and Pennsylvania these will be the only two places you need to defend. The two AA guns will keep the other players from getting big plane bonuses.

I applaud anyone who has ever held Battleships for even a single turn.

Miners suck!

Destroyers are also a good start because of only two areas to defend as long as you have the four zero's to give you that extra 4 bonus giving you 10 total for just the mentioned.

Good luck to everyone on this map, take your time counting other players potential bonuses before deploying or attacking. many people find the bonuses too confusing to figure out and that will be their downfall.
Sergeant killaknight

Postby Econ2000 on Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:49 am

well i specialize in pearl harbor terminator, and i find this, it is easiest to control ford island and the oil bonuses along w/ the naval yard. If u have those, u ussually get around at least 40 pts a game. if u r stuck in the destroyers/minesweepers area, ur just about screwed.
Rap music is being listened to by 97% of teenagers, if you're one of the 3% of teenagers that actually listen to real music, then put this in your signature.
Corporal Econ2000

Re: This map is one of my favorites

Postby Econ2000 on Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:50 am

killaknight wrote:I think the the naval yard and/or the oil fields are the best place to start.

If you can get the dry dock and the cruisers you get a 8 bonus. the whole southern area of that map has the best opportunity for bonuses and is relatively easy to defend.

The oil field is a good choice because it has the AA gun to take out the planes of players that might be menacing your control of the oil yards.

If you can manage to get the naval yard, oil yard and cruisers you will have a great chance of winning the game. you should have at the very least 24 armies per turn and if you have Oklahoma and Pennsylvania these will be the only two places you need to defend. The two AA guns will keep the other players from getting big plane bonuses.

I applaud anyone who has ever held Battleships for even a single turn.

Miners suck!

Destroyers are also a good start because of only two areas to defend as long as you have the four zero's to give you that extra 4 bonus giving you 10 total for just the mentioned.

Good luck to everyone on this map, take your time counting other players potential bonuses before deploying or attacking. many people find the bonuses too confusing to figure out and that will be their downfall.

now that i see this, he is relatively correct.
Rap music is being listened to by 97% of teenagers, if you're one of the 3% of teenagers that actually listen to real music, then put this in your signature.
Corporal Econ2000

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:46 am

Pleased to see all you guys are getting this all worked out...when i did this map and checked the borders in Kevin Cs border checker, i was astonished at what i had created. some strategies are not even visible to me when i create these maps, since i create for the sake of creation and not for the sake of keeping people guessing about strategies to win. But i am pleased to see that people are helping other to work it out.

Might i also add, there are some other maps coming up in the foundry that are going to be similar to PH, so do visit the foundry and have your say before they get to the play stage, please.

Watch for Battle of Gazala.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Return to Conquer Club Discussion