Conquer Club

Eight Player Games Strategy

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Eight Player Games Strategy

Postby EmperorOfDaNorth on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:40 am

I've played a couple 8 player games now and let me start with some observations that may or may not hold any value.

1. In Sequential - Escalating, SEVEN players take turns after you had your last turn.. That means that you can take your turn when card value is 4 and not cash because of that, but the person going just before your next turn may find the cards value up to 12, 15 or even 20.. With so many people on the map everyone already has fewer armies to go around, so it's very likely the player before you can go on a domino-run, taking out player after player and there's nothing you can do about it.

So 8-player-sequential-escalating is broken: Don't play it unless you're the type who also enjoys a good Doodle Earth Assassin lottery.

With Freestyle however there's some possibilities.. Essentially what you want to do is manage the stuff that happens and be in a position to jump in at the right time. That means when you're up to round 4-5-6 or so, DONT play first in the round and then go to bed, because by the time you wake up the game will be over.

Instead you have to stall and play last at a time when you can watch things develop for the next round.

2. Map size.. Many maps have slightly more territories, say 48 instead of 42, and those may actually work very well with 7 or possibly 8 players. I think standard 42 territory maps work best with 6 players, but for the larger ones: ok!

3. This takes forever for everyone to complete their turn doesn't it.. Freemium players will need to decide if they're willing to wait up to 8 days in sequential between turns.. ( Oh wait, we weren't playing sequential.. :) ) so for freestyle it only adds a very small delay if any, because rounds still need to complete within 24 hours.

Along with Freestyle having been fixed to remove the worst exploits, I think Freestyle-Escalating is now one of the most exciting types of play around. Especially if you have the time to mother over things. ;)
Alex..? Alexander the Great, my Commander, what's wrong? Did someone leave you negative feedback again?
Colonel EmperorOfDaNorth

Postby oVo on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:12 am

An eight player, standard, no cards game on the World 2.1 map has the potential to take a really, really, really, really, really, long time to complete.
Major oVo

Postby MeDeFe on Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:17 am

Not much longer than a six player game with otherwise the same settings I should think.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby EmperorOfDaNorth on Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:04 am

oVo wrote:An eight player, standard, no cards game on the World 2.1 map has the potential to take a really, really, really, really, really, long time to complete.

Yes, there's a reasonably chance that the real world actually ends before the 2.1 game does. ;)
Alex..? Alexander the Great, my Commander, what's wrong? Did someone leave you negative feedback again?
Colonel EmperorOfDaNorth

Postby Bavarian Raven on Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:19 am

my one word strategy:

"WIN"

i won an 8 player europe and an 8 player 2.1, both gave me LARGE clumps of points and brought my score back up to a respctable level. :shock: :D
Sergeant 1st Class Bavarian Raven

Postby oVo on Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:15 pm

MeDeFe wrote:Not much longer than a six player game with otherwise the same settings I should think.

That would be logical MeDeFe... but an extra two days to take turns per round
seems to extend the game exponentually, as my 8 player rounds take forever.
Major oVo

Postby EmperorOfDaNorth on Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:37 am

Back to the topic of *strategy*, rather than just time: Which maps do you think are best suited to 8 player games? The larger ones?
Colonel EmperorOfDaNorth

Postby lord voldemort on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:39 am

i play a lot of 8 player speed freestlye esc games....
2 peices of advice...
DO NOT SUICIDE. it will piss people off and u will get ignore listed. every troops counts in these games.

also dont end your turn early round 4 onwards....cause there is usually action. and u dont want to miss the chance to take someone out
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby Tense on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:45 pm

I recently played a 8 player Conquer Man, escalating and sequential. The cards were up in 70 when still 7 players were alive. I cashed in 75 armies to kill just seven armies, cashed in again and so on.

It's about using the few opportunites you get, make sure you have good positions throughout the map to be able to take out a player and case a domino-effect at any time. Can't really say anything else, perhaps the rest is luck! :wink:
Major Tense

Return to Conquer Club Discussion