Conquer Club

The first turn advantage

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

The first turn advantage

Postby meno71 on Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:14 am

Been sitting here idly ruminating about the first turn advantage — something that is particularly meaningful in 1-on-1 games with big maps. I’ve been playing most of the Map Masters tournaments and so it is something I’ve taken more note of lately.

I’m wondering if there would be any interest in an option that would provide that in the first round every player gets to deploy however many armies they were entitled to deploy when the game started. It would make it a lot less likely you’d run into scenarios in head to head matches where the game is essentially over after the first player acts.

As a corollary, I am also wondering if it would make sense to have an option for deployment in round one for every player to be the same amount — if someone’s drop provides them with a continent bonus, for example, they would get that bonus until round two (assuming they still hold it).
Captain meno71

Re: The first turn advantage

Postby Qwert on Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:29 pm

in scenario where you have starting positions these its pointless
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Donelladan on Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:58 pm

There is no such option at the moment.
I've played some 1vs1 with gentleman agreement that first player only deploy, no attack. But that doesn't work with random opponent ofc.

In general, do not play 1vs1, they're mainly luck anyway. By playing team game, polymorphic or multiplayer game, I find the first turn rarely matter that much.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Silly Knig-it on Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:57 am

The best way I have found to get rid of the first turn advantage is to play trench and to play poly. Doesn't completely get rid of it but it limits it a lot.
Lieutenant Silly Knig-it
SoC Training Adviser

Postby HitRed on Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:31 am

On a manual drop I try to pick a terr very unlikely to be next to someone’s first-to-attack stack. Best to have a neutral between you and where he can drop. You can make a single stack or a defused defense for longer term survival.
Captain HitRed

Postby 100023690 on Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:32 am

I Will stop to play 1 VS 1,. It is not funny, when from 7 games again a player,he start 6 of the games, or in a tournament of 3 games, he start the three games.

I played a manual troop torunament lately, my opponent started 5 of 7 games, i Lost the games before start.

No more 1v1 games, are so unfair
Captain 100023690

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:16 am

meno71 wrote:Been sitting here idly ruminating about the first turn advantage — something that is particularly meaningful in 1-on-1 games with big maps. I’ve been playing most of the Map Masters tournaments and so it is something I’ve taken more note of lately.

I’m wondering if there would be any interest in an option that would provide that in the first round every player gets to deploy however many armies they were entitled to deploy when the game started. It would make it a lot less likely you’d run into scenarios in head to head matches where the game is essentially over after the first player acts.

As a corollary, I am also wondering if it would make sense to have an option for deployment in round one for every player to be the same amount — if someone’s drop provides them with a continent bonus, for example, they would get that bonus until round two (assuming they still hold it).

I have long wondered if the best way to solve this is in allowing first turn player to drop troops but not attack, it doesn't remove the ability to get a first turn bonus, but it does mean a chance for player 2 in many more scenarios. Of course if player 2 drops a bonus, he's still just as lucky as the old player 1 would be... but its a game of chance, we can't always have it the most even possible! But I do think a drop with no attack in 1v1 makes sense.
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:46 pm

1. Stop playing 1 v 1. How is it even fun? It's so luck based, why even bother? You can't really complain when you play the settings knowing it's like 80% luck anyways.

2. There is no good solution - so if player 1 gets dropped a bonus, they drop to protect and player 2 is still fucked.

3. Someone has to go first. I'll take 6 v 6 attackers dice vs 6 v 6 defenders dice so now you're twisting the advantage to player 2. In 1 v 1, it's inevitable that someone has to go first and have an advantage. Play enough and you should end up relatively even.

4. Silly is right, poly trench mitigates most of this problem while still putting you in a mano e mano setting.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby 100023690 on Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:39 pm

Well, second round of tournament started today,

Again, 5 Games 1v1 and again i Will start 1 of 5 Games,
There are some games that are lose before start.
Well really i dont have any interest to continue the Game, i Will
play by respect to my opponent and his waste of time.
Captain 100023690

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:35 am

100023690 wrote:Well, second round of tournament started today,

Again, 5 Games 1v1 and again i Will start 1 of 5 Games,
There are some games that are lose before start.
Well really i dont have any interest to continue the Game, i Will
play by respect to my opponent and his waste of time.

Stop playing 1 v 1 then.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby 100023690 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:45 am

Yes, i Will stop play, Now 1v1, and maybe stop all types of games.
Captain 100023690

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:53 pm

100023690 wrote:Yes, i Will stop play, Now 1v1, and maybe stop all types of games.

seems extreme.
Major Nut Shot Scott

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:46 am

Nut Shot Scott wrote:
100023690 wrote:Yes, i Will stop play, Now 1v1, and maybe stop all types of games.

seems extreme.

I think he should also give up sex and booze.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby 100023690 on Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:30 pm

Well, i dont drink alcohol since 24th August 2014 , but i dont think many on It :-)
Captain 100023690

Postby Ltrain on Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:43 pm

Nut Shot Scott wrote:

seems extreme.

Does fix all risk related problems tho :)
I play way too much 1v1 and sometimes if it's not poly then yea, the game is over in 2 rounds basically.
Only time it really matters is in those tournaments where you have 7 games and you get 1 starting turn.
That does blow.
Major Ltrain

Postby Ragnars Wolves on Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:04 pm

I am a long time player...I have noticed the last few weeks. that in Freestyle..IF you just stale out as the last player to play..it bypasses you and goes to the last player that played a turn. I have noticed this in a couple of games and thought it was a quirk. However, in Game 211601445 the team with Softbelly and The Boss, has done this in the later game to get the first move. This is NOT the first time recently I have noticed it, but I thought it was a glitch the other time. Could somebody look into this!! IF. it is fair, I will certainly take advantage of it. However, when it gets down to 2 two man teams, there just isn't that many points to be doing that. Thank you. Ragnars Wolves
Sergeant 1st Class Ragnars Wolves

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:14 am

Not a glitch. It's so that you stalling doesn't force the other player to miss a turn. While most good freestyle players are online 24/7 basically :lol:

It's safe to assume that not all players can log in every 12 hours everyday. So it's there so that if you stalk too long the other player won't be forced to miss because of it. So yes, if you play freestyle, make sure to take your turn in 12hrs.
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby Ragnars Wolves on Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:57 pm

THANK YOU for answering...but i don't think I made myself clear...YES, if you don't make your turn and are last to move in the turn...you have to wait 1/2 the next turn OR until someone moves...that is the way it has been for years.......NOW, if you miss your turn and are last to move (maybe just a team game???) i watched as I was taking my time to move as I was looking to move as the player had staled and had to wait tuntil I moved oR 12 hours if nobody moved. However in in our game..1/2 hour after he staled out their team moved again, and have done this 3 times. If this is the new normal, then I think maybe a blurb about it in public would be of assistance. It really is causeing a rft in the game...and the problem is...One of the team mates doing it is an 81 year old Grandmother...How in the world do I start accursing her of Cheating? Thanks for looking into this and explaining it to a dummy I suppose!!!
Sergeant 1st Class Ragnars Wolves

Postby Nut Shot Scott on Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:21 am

Ragnars Wolves wrote:One of the team mates doing it is an 81 year old Grandmother...How in the world do I start accursing her of Cheating? Thanks for looking into this and explaining it to a dummy I suppose!!!

You say, "Listen up, Patty. Knock off your cheap tactics. If you tried this shit at your weekly bridge game, Wanda would tip your old ass over in that rocking chair, drop a half eaten hard candy on your forehead and throw your hideous old lady shawl out the window."
Attachments
2.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/wxJ5p8G6/j2pojtp.png https://i.postimg.cc/tgqr9LRM/sdfgg.png
2.jpg (11.54 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
Major Nut Shot Scott

Return to Conquer Club Discussion