Conquer Club

Will CC someday just be turned off?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Will CC someday just be turned off?

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:27 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:There is no way the site doesn't run at a profit. Servers are not expensive and it's evident we're not running on high quality ones. It could even be a shared server which costs an irrelevant amount it's so small. If the servers for CC cost more than £50/month I'd be shocked. The only thing to consider is how much KA gets paid and how many hours bW puts into the site himself.

I don't know where you're getting your numbers. I looked into this about five years ago because I was curious and got an estimate of $700/month. I'm not going to waste that much time again, but just a very quick Google of "how much for a co-locational server" yields an answer of something between $200 and $700.
https://www.optimalnetworks.com/2015/01/24/cost-server-colocation/

That's just for the space and the monitoring, not counting the actual cost of the hardware.

I get my numbers from the profession I work in 5 days a week selling website design and hosting. We handle much more intensive and demanding sites than CC has ever been. If you pay that much you’re getting ripped off and have no idea on how to negotiate a deal.

Generically speaking, how much server storage space would that £50/month get you?
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:36 pm

Terabyte.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:43 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:Terabyte.

Site Forum Statistics:
  • Total posts 4347193
  • Total topics 138362
  • Total members 795850

If we are just talking about the forum, do you think that only one TB would be enough to manage close to 800k users?

(Also keep in mind some forums allow for attachments)

We aren't even taking into account for beta site, website development tools, etc. I think the storage size is much greater than 1TB.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby iAmCaffeine on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:50 pm

How much storage space do you think posts on a forum take up? Didn’t you study computer science or something along those lines? You also need to consider that those figures for posts and threads is wrong.

I’d completely forgotten about the beta site to be honest, never had anything to do with it so that would have to be worked out as well. Based on that you could well need more space.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:07 pm

Jdsizzleslice wrote:
iAmCaffeine wrote:Terabyte.

Site Forum Statistics:
  • Total posts 4347193
  • Total topics 138362
  • Total members 795850

If we are just talking about the forum, do you think that only one TB would be enough to manage close to 800k users?

(Also keep in mind some forums allow for attachments)

We aren't even taking into account for beta site, website development tools, etc. I think the storage size is much greater than 1TB.
iAmCaffeine wrote:How much storage space do you think posts on a forum take up? Didn’t you study computer science or something along those lines? You also need to consider that those figures for posts and threads is wrong.

I’d completely forgotten about the beta site to be honest, never had anything to do with it so that would have to be worked out as well. Based on that you could well need more space.

View This for Reference

According to the topic above... And in tandem to this post, I would say a lot of data storage space. phpBB is what this site is run on.

phpBB probably take a chunk of memory and storage to run alone...

Ballpark 4.5M forum posts...

Ballpark 140k topics...

Ballpark 800k online users...

Needing to account for all the traffic...

It may not be as easy to run as you may think. There are other aspects of the site that we haven't even mentioned. We are just talking about the forum itself.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby nietzsche on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:21 pm

lol, caff is right in this one jd.. it's not about storage.

storage is cheap.

it's about the server that needs to be used, i imagine they rent you those.. we can guess a lot but while we don't get any real info.. we could be making a fool of ourselves, only someone who really knows servers and php loads and takes a little guess at the dice calculations and connections.. could give a better estimate.

i personally think they've been downgrading hosting, and that's the reason they don't care about speed games, casual is less demanding and the vast majority are casual gamers..
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:20 am

nietzsche wrote:lol, caff is right in this one jd.. it's not about storage.

storage is cheap.

it's about the server that needs to be used, i imagine they rent you those.. we can guess a lot but while we don't get any real info.. we could be making a fool of ourselves, only someone who really knows servers and php loads and takes a little guess at the dice calculations and connections.. could give a better estimate.

i personally think they've been downgrading hosting, and that's the reason they don't care about speed games, casual is less demanding and the vast majority are casual gamers..

Downgrading wouldn't surprise me. I had confirmation that the dice algorithm being used had been changed, but whether for the better or worse there was no comment and bW refused to disclose any information on how exactly the new algorithm was different. If they've done the same with servers I wouldn't be surprised.
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby MagnusGreeol on Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:37 am

I don't believe the lights would ever just get shut off here! If BW ever got tired or lost interest I think first the site would be up for sale, then the last resort none of us would like to hear, that there would be a countdown to extinction, Which in that case, For All/any who have real-life cash to put up and buy it, to keep it going, I know I would invest as much as I could to help, But hopefully there is a hidden millionaire amongst us that loves this place as much as I, to buy and keep this legacy of ours going!?

Sincerely,

\MGM/
Colonel MagnusGreeol

Postby nietzsche on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:29 pm

i might be millionaire but i'm not spending more than 1,000 on CC.

and i would only do it to mess with the medal system.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby TeeGee on Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:16 pm

nietzsche wrote:i might be millionaire but i'm not spending more than 1,000 on CC.

What currency you talking?

1000 btc? I might be interested
Colonel TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:18 pm

TeeGee wrote:
nietzsche wrote:i might be millionaire but i'm not spending more than 1,000 on CC.

What currency you talking?

1000 btc? I might be interested

I'm pretty sure he means pesos...:)
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby zeus111 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:09 am

seeeee we alll know it lets do some thing about it ,,,,,,,9 years ive played on and off ...il leave you all with this thought a sit e i play on has one board ,,no clans no 200 plus maps and is 22 more a year ,,,, at any given time of day there are hundreds playing risk ...there is now 24 hour format its play till winner declared,,,how is it a site that's inferior to cc club has so many ppl playing and we dont ...there is no foe option is that it is that why we now wait 2 to 4 hours to fill a classic speeder ,,most all on here are intelligent ppl so i ask u what do we do as a community to save what i feel is a dying site ..........every time i log on i really wonder is it still up and running
Lieutenant zeus111

Postby Keefie on Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:02 am

zeus111 wrote:seeeee we alll know it lets do some thing about it ,,,,,,,9 years ive played on and off ...il leave you all with this thought a sit e i play on has one board ,,no clans no 200 plus maps and is 22 more a year ,,,, at any given time of day there are hundreds playing risk ...there is now 24 hour format its play till winner declared,,,how is it a site that's inferior to cc club has so many ppl playing and we dont ...there is no foe option is that it is that why we now wait 2 to 4 hours to fill a classic speeder ,,most all on here are intelligent ppl so i ask u what do we do as a community to save what i feel is a dying site ..........every time i log on i really wonder is it still up and running

Did you go to school with confederateSS ???
Major Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby iAmCaffeine on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:19 am

Keefie wrote:
zeus111 wrote:seeeee we alll know it lets do some thing about it ,,,,,,,9 years ive played on and off ...il leave you all with this thought a sit e i play on has one board ,,no clans no 200 plus maps and is 22 more a year ,,,, at any given time of day there are hundreds playing risk ...there is now 24 hour format its play till winner declared,,,how is it a site that's inferior to cc club has so many ppl playing and we dont ...there is no foe option is that it is that why we now wait 2 to 4 hours to fill a classic speeder ,,most all on here are intelligent ppl so i ask u what do we do as a community to save what i feel is a dying site ..........every time i log on i really wonder is it still up and running

Did you go to school with confederateSS ???

:lol:
Cook iAmCaffeine

Postby Mad777 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:53 am

Today: Sun Oct 7, 2018 8:52 am

:arrow: 9 years? :-k
".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby xroads on Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:59 am

He got banned after 2 years and came back as a multi
Major xroads

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:14 am

Or maybe it's nothing nefarious at all. After a while, the years all blend together. I know I have to look it up when I want to know how long I've been here. When I guess, I'm usually wrong.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby zeus111 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:31 pm

Mad777 wrote:

lol oops 7 yrs was whiskey inviolved ......
Lieutenant zeus111

Postby Mad777 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:10 pm

zeus111 wrote:
Mad777 wrote:

lol oops 7 yrs was whiskey inviolved ......

:lol:
".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby TeeGee on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:26 pm

Only 9? I ‘I’ve been here since the 1980s
Colonel TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Keefie on Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:47 pm

TeeGee wrote:Only 9? I ‘I’ve been here since the 1980s

Well, your fashion sense has, by all accounts.
Major Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby iloverisk100 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:25 pm

[Mod Edit]
New Recruit iloverisk100

Postby iloverisk100 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:29 pm

what other site were you mentioning?

New Recruit iloverisk100

Postby shoop76 on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:40 pm

iloverisk100 wrote:what other site were you mentioning?

Must be better than cc. It has 9 players recently online.
Major shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion