Conquer Club

Mentoring Pilot Program

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Mentoring Pilot Program

Postby Turbowheel on Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:51 am

colton24 wrote:
Turbowheel wrote:
SFX! wrote:
Turbowheel wrote:
colton24 wrote:
:lol:A PFC as a mentor?

Yes, you see there's a thing called a rank restriction on the site if you haven't looked. No matter what your score is, you can't advance in rank if you don't have the required number of games finished. Maybe you should try and know the site first.
Rank isn't everything also. You can be a new recruit or even a cook and still beat the best person on this site. Heck, I've even beaten Sergeant First Classes before. I did a team game before where my entire team was about outranked completely yet we won, partially due to my straegies too I must say. So don't think for one second that anyone who's not very high ranking can't be a effective mentor because they can.

1. Sergeant 1st Class is no rank to boast about being or beating. I'd say when you get some swords you get that bragging right.
2. The majority who are a high rank are much more experienced in tactics, maps etc.
3. To be a Private 1st Class you only need 5 completed games, so your argument about not advancing in rank isn't very valid. I've seen a player who's a Lieutenant with over 2000pts, that's something remarkable.

1. For someone who's not high ranked to out tatic someone who's supposely more experienced in tatics, maps, etc according to you isn't very good? I'd say it is at least a little.
2. Yeah, and how many games has that lieutenant played? I'll bet you that my number of games done is no where near that persons, so he probaly has alot more wins to, maybe even a better win/loss ratio. Plus, that's one out of how many members on this site??? If you can prove all the higher ranking players are that good(including you) then I won't try to be a mentor ever I promise.
3. As I said before on my original statement, I've played other games like this that are similar to Risk and such alot of times, so I don't NEED to be on this site a long time and be high up in ranking yet to say I know how to play the game good and be a good strategist and tactician.
4. I'm not saying I'm some grand genius like you seem to imply I'm trying to say, but I'm good enough to give advice AT THE LEAST.

No you aren't good for a mentor as you can see by this:

Username: Turbowheel
Score: 1042
Games: 11 completed, 4 (36%) won | Find all games with Turbowheel

Most of the majors are around that exact percentage. Here's a group for example:

# Username score GC GW Percent Rank Rating Country ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1014 Dotacus 2020 661 229 (35%) Major 4.8 United States
1015 lordnex 2020 535 207 (39%) Major 4.8 Serbia
1016 Pander88uk 2019 1156 414 (36%) Major 4.9 United Kingdom
1017 oaktown 2019 551 229 (42%) Major 4.9 United States
1018 Nikita42 2018 1327 401 (30%) Major 4.8 Canada
1019 JD8 2018 82 35 (43%) Major 4.7 United States
1020 Kid_A 2017 5336 2206 (41%) Major 4.7 United States
1021 THORNHEART 2017 2719 949 (35%) Major 3.9 United States
1022 Magic_Ugn 2017 507 177 (35%) Major 4.7 Sweden
1023 DreadCat 2017 270 110 (41%) Major 4.9 United States

You also can't judge a person by how big a rank they have or by how many games completed. Take the above group for example. The only thing separating me from them is purely rank and score. Depending on the people they normally face in a game and on the game situation at the start, you can't even judge by percentage of games won. Face it, you guys are being stereotypical, espescially since you should know that games like on this site similar to Risk exist elsewhere on the web(which I've played plenty of), so it would not be wrong in saying that how long people have played on this paticular site and their rank have no worth in judgement whatsoever of a person's abilities.
Private Turbowheel

Postby Echospree on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:06 pm

Turbowheel, you want evidence you aren't a good mentor? Allow me to describe:

Let's take a quick look at your current Arms Race game:

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=5702976

The first round hasn't even finished, and nobody has attacked you. And yet? You have the LEAST number of troops on the board. You started the game with 9 troops on 3 territories, and got a drop of three. This brought you up to 12 troops at the beginning of your turn. But now you only have 6 spread over four territories? And you didn't even get a bonus for the effort? You were attacking FAR too often this early. If you were losing that much, there was no reason to waste more troops.

Knowing when to cut your losses is extremely important. Attacking when you only have 2 or 3 troops on a territory is almost always a bad idea, ESPECIALLY on your FIRST turn. You do know your attack odds are reduced when you have only 2 or 3 troops, due to the reduced number of dice?

I haven't looked at any of your other games, but that's a very telling example.
Major Echospree

Postby prismsaber on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:55 am

I will mentor inexperienced players for triples/quads. My previous mentoree's all made major+ and one Colonel. My main request is for the mentoree to have some kinda of messenger service, preferably msn, and to be relatively active on it or at the least accessible for turn discussion.

PM me if interested.
Colonel prismsaber

Postby Bruceswar on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:51 pm

prismsaber wrote:I will mentor inexperienced players for triples/quads. My previous mentoree's all made major+ and one Colonel. My main request is for the mentoree to have some kinda of messenger service, preferably msn, and to be relatively active on it or at the least accessible for turn discussion.

PM me if interested.

You will be in good hands. :)
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby skillfull on Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:35 pm

I could help an inexperienced guy in some team games(doubles-triples).
No freestyle
I want him/her not to miss turns.Just PM me( I will accept only one student by now)
Brigadier skillfull

Postby darkangelsguy205 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:00 pm

i will help anyone i am very good at aor2 and i was a private first class not so long ago
i also mastered arms race manual city mogal and feudal 2
Last edited by darkangelsguy205 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant darkangelsguy205

Postby skillfull on Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:51 am

skillfull wrote:I could help an inexperienced guy in some team games(doubles-triples).
No freestyle
I want him/her not to miss turns.Just PM me( I will accept only one student by now)

urbansloth asked for my help, so no more PM for me plz
thanks
sk-
Brigadier skillfull

Postby Duality. on Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:32 am

I would very much like to be tutored, particularly on team games, and also large singles.
Last edited by Duality. on Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Duality.

Postby lokisgal on Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:18 pm

Im available to mentor one or two new people.
You will need msn and the ability to listen and not miss turns
Lieutenant lokisgal
SoC Training Adviser

Postby gaegujange47 on Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:14 am

Im looking for a mentor. I've played the board game a handful of times and just got the premium membership to play speed games and to play more games. I mostly play the world and the classic map. I feel like I'm starting to catch on to strategy but I do make some mistakes. Get in tough with me here or on IM. check my profile. Thanx.
Corporal gaegujange47

Postby Duality. on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:05 am

Duality. wrote:I would very much like to be tutored, particularly on team games, and also large singles.

I've been instructed on the techniques of freestyle, and have also installed BOB, Map Rank, and Clickable Maps, as I was advised. However, I have no experience at all in team games of any variety, or large escalating games, both of which I would very much like to learn. Please PM me if you can become my mentor, as it were.

Postby Duality. on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:04 pm

Duality. wrote:
Duality. wrote:I would very much like to be tutored, particularly on team games, and also large singles.

I've been instructed on the techniques of freestyle, and have also installed BOB, Map Rank, and Clickable Maps, as I was advised. However, I have no experience at all in team games of any variety, or large escalating games, both of which I would very much like to learn. Please PM me if you can become my mentor, as it were.

I now have a mentor, but only for Doubles games. I would really like to learn how to play large Escalating games, so if anyone could assist me with those please contact me; I'll be very grateful :).

Postby Chuuuuck on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:13 am

I would like to be added to the mentor list.

I can help with virtually any game settings or maps as well as game selection. I am a top 75 player.
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby jleonnn on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:46 am

I would like to be added to the mentor list

option no.3

strengths: ranked #5 in CC for aor2 map rank, know basic strategy for 1v1 aor1(no fog) and am an expert on aor2(no fog) tactics and strategy... not to toot my own horn :oops:
Major jleonnn

Postby JoshyBoy on Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:23 am

HELP ME!

I would consider myself an average player on this site am always around Lieutenant/Sergeant 1st Class. I made it to Captain twice but never stayed there for long. I only have a win percentage of 28%. I seem to be lacking something and I've never been tutored. I was wondering if there's someone out there who could teach me how to be that little bit better. Ranks like Major and Colonel are ranks I can only dream of just now.

Could someone be my mentor/master? I'm very very willing to learn.

Cheers, JB ;)
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby JoshyBoy on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:48 pm

I have two mentors.

One of them is schooling me more in team games. The other is schooling me in standard games.

Cheers, JB ;)
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby MartijnF on Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:09 pm

Would anyone like to help me out a bit please? I started playing last week and would like to win a bit more often :D
Cadet MartijnF

Postby Georgerx7di on Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:48 am

MartijnF wrote:Would anyone like to help me out a bit please? I started playing last week and would like to win a bit more often :D

You've taken 96% of your turns in 21 games. I usually like to see that a little higher for students, as I will be teaming with them. If you can get that up to 98 or 99% in couple of weeks, I will take you as a student in doubles. I have 4 students right now, so the load is a little high, but soon I will be able to take on another student.
Major Georgerx7di

Postby Georgerx7di on Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:54 am

Turbowheel wrote:
colton24 wrote:
Turbowheel wrote:
SFX! wrote:
Turbowheel wrote:Yes, you see there's a thing called a rank restriction on the site if you haven't looked. No matter what your score is, you can't advance in rank if you don't have the required number of games finished. Maybe you should try and know the site first.
Rank isn't everything also. You can be a new recruit or even a cook and still beat the best person on this site. Heck, I've even beaten Sergeant First Classes before. I did a team game before where my entire team was about outranked completely yet we won, partially due to my straegies too I must say. So don't think for one second that anyone who's not very high ranking can't be a effective mentor because they can.

1. Sergeant 1st Class is no rank to boast about being or beating. I'd say when you get some swords you get that bragging right.
2. The majority who are a high rank are much more experienced in tactics, maps etc.
3. To be a Private 1st Class you only need 5 completed games, so your argument about not advancing in rank isn't very valid. I've seen a player who's a Lieutenant with over 2000pts, that's something remarkable.

1. For someone who's not high ranked to out tatic someone who's supposely more experienced in tatics, maps, etc according to you isn't very good? I'd say it is at least a little.
2. Yeah, and how many games has that lieutenant played? I'll bet you that my number of games done is no where near that persons, so he probaly has alot more wins to, maybe even a better win/loss ratio. Plus, that's one out of how many members on this site??? If you can prove all the higher ranking players are that good(including you) then I won't try to be a mentor ever I promise.
3. As I said before on my original statement, I've played other games like this that are similar to Risk and such alot of times, so I don't NEED to be on this site a long time and be high up in ranking yet to say I know how to play the game good and be a good strategist and tactician.
4. I'm not saying I'm some grand genius like you seem to imply I'm trying to say, but I'm good enough to give advice AT THE LEAST.

No you aren't good for a mentor as you can see by this:

Username: Turbowheel
Score: 1042
Games: 11 completed, 4 (36%) won | Find all games with Turbowheel

Most of the majors are around that exact percentage. Here's a group for example:

# Username score GC GW Percent Rank Rating Country ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1014 Dotacus 2020 661 229 (35%) Major 4.8 United States
1015 lordnex 2020 535 207 (39%) Major 4.8 Serbia
1016 Pander88uk 2019 1156 414 (36%) Major 4.9 United Kingdom
1017 oaktown 2019 551 229 (42%) Major 4.9 United States
1018 Nikita42 2018 1327 401 (30%) Major 4.8 Canada
1019 JD8 2018 82 35 (43%) Major 4.7 United States
1020 Kid_A 2017 5336 2206 (41%) Major 4.7 United States
1021 THORNHEART 2017 2719 949 (35%) Major 3.9 United States
1022 Magic_Ugn 2017 507 177 (35%) Major 4.7 Sweden
1023 DreadCat 2017 270 110 (41%) Major 4.9 United States

You also can't judge a person by how big a rank they have or by how many games completed. Take the above group for example. The only thing separating me from them is purely rank and score. Depending on the people they normally face in a game and on the game situation at the start, you can't even judge by percentage of games won. Face it, you guys are being stereotypical, espescially since you should know that games like on this site similar to Risk exist elsewhere on the web(which I've played plenty of), so it would not be wrong in saying that how long people have played on this paticular site and their rank have no worth in judgement whatsoever of a person's abilities.

Lol turbo, your score is 954, number of games it not holding you back. And btw, win percentage is affected by whether you play 2 player of 8 player games.
Major Georgerx7di

Postby abraxas65 on Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:04 am

New to the game and could use some help I have some limited experience with the board game risk so i guess I would be a 1-2 on the mentoree scale. Right now I am not looking for strategy help so much as simply help with game mechanics. To be honest the majority of the help i need right now could probably be done via private messaging.
Private abraxas65

Postby mcgiffen on Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:23 am

I could do with some help as well, I know the basics of the game, but sadly that is about it. Any help will be much appreciated.
Cook mcgiffen

Postby -Suffocation on Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:07 pm

I'm a new player and after reading all the Rules and Instructions I've decided I'd very much like to learn how to play Doubles! :D I've played it occasionally in real life within my family, but I'm sure it's different on Conquer Club, just like lots of other aspects of the game. Please can someone get in touch with me about mentoring? I have Skype, by the way, if that's any use to anyone?
Corporal 1st Class -Suffocation

Postby vodean on Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:36 pm

-Suffocation wrote:I'm a new player and after reading all the Rules and Instructions I've decided I'd very much like to learn how to play Doubles! :D I've played it occasionally in real life within my family, but I'm sure it's different on Conquer Club, just like lots of other aspects of the game. Please can someone get in touch with me about mentoring? I have Skype, by the way, if that's any use to anyone?
captain in 3 days!!!
<NoSurvivors› then vote chuck for being an info whore
Sergeant vodean

Postby C.D.S on Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:50 am

Hello, I have finished 10 games won 1, 1 on 1, and 2 team games, need help on strategy and assault methods, ie Assault v Bombardment, advantage? etc.
Cook C.D.S

Postby Jozza on Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:19 am

Hello I would really appreciate someone who could devote some time in mentoring me, I have maily played classic map so far but am keen to try some others.

Oh yes and my strategy sucks big time.
Private Jozza

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion