Conquer Club

Poll on Dice Rolling

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Do you think the defensive dice rolls are too high?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:21 pm

Total votes : 0

Poll on Dice Rolling

Postby meltinguras on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:21 pm

I know the dice are truly random, but it seems like the defensive dice seem more powerful than anything i have experienced while playing with real dice, i guess its just my bad luck
Lieutenant meltinguras

Postby madeinchinain85 on Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:27 pm

chop it up to bad luck, there is no conspiracy to make the deffensive rolls higher than offensive
Corporal 1st Class madeinchinain85

Postby kusunoki on Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:20 am

interesting split in the votes here
Captain kusunoki

Postby meltinguras on Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:46 am

I'm going to keep a track of all my rolls, its rediculous to lose 10 units attacking a single unit defended country
Lieutenant meltinguras

Postby Nobunaga on Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:27 am

... If the guys who wrote this program know even the most basic fundamentals of Math functions - "Random functions" and what not, then they are completely (as far as we're concerned) random.

... And no doubt they know what they're doing.

... It gets weird sometimes - I threw six armies at ONE and failed to take it out. But real dice will do that to you sometimes, too, eh?
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby SprCobra on Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:35 am

I sent 7-10 armeis at one and lost them all
Cadet SprCobra

Postby Nobunaga on Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:18 am

... Now that IS odd . . . :roll:
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby Axelius on Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:25 am

yeah, similar things has happened to me...
Corporal 1st Class Axelius

Postby qeee1 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:42 am

I've had plenty of really bad rolls, but similar things have happened in real life, still due to superstition, or defensive rolls actually been higher I've started to play a more defensive game.
Colonel qeee1

Postby Ran Taro on Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:37 pm

As I have said before the rolls are fine.

The reason it seems like your luck is suspiciously bad sometimes is that you don't see other peoples bad luck when they roll (since it doesn't show you other peoples failed attacks in the log). Having nothing to compare it to makes your own bad luck seem worse than it is.

If they made defense less powerful it would make the game all out attack all the time, no strategy, and very unfun.
Corporal Ran Taro

Postby madeinchinain85 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:14 pm

I'd also like to point out that when the rolls favor you, you tend to just ignore it. For example once I had won about 4 or 5 rolls against 1 army countries in a row, but the ones that REALLY stick in my mind are the ones that I lose attacking 5 to 1, even the 5-1 attacking has a much higher chance of occurance.

Postby Crimson_Knight on Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:06 pm

It all depends on the rolling. I just had a bad spate of rolling; if it hadn't been the endgame and I was simply mopping up with a massive army, that might have actually hurt me (4 territories of 1 each almost chewed up my 18 strong army). There's the flip side, as well: I can remember a recent game in which I had a streak of maybe ten victories with NO losses in a row. Certainly turned the tables for me as I managed to capture a bunch more than I originally planned on. It's all about luck... and some days you're hot and can do anything, and some days would should have been an easy win turns out impossible. *shrugs* They DO call the game Risk, do they not? :wink:
"I can only express puzzlement, that borders on alarm..."
~Klump, Sin City
Private Crimson_Knight

Postby Matteo_zelenko on Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:28 am

Actually the defence does have a leg up. I noticed that a defending country with two armies is rolling two dice, when in the actual game of risk a defending country of two can only roll one dice at a time, twice. This gives the attacker the appropriate advantage since he'll be rolling 3 dice to 1 twice, rather than 3 dice to 2 once.
Corporal 1st Class Matteo_zelenko

Postby kusunoki on Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:33 pm

mat, what r u talkin bout?
Captain kusunoki

Postby qeee1 on Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:05 pm

He's talking about the rules that you get with the offline game. In it it states that when a defender has two armies in his teritory he can only roll one dice for the defense (and can also only lose one army in that roll).
Colonel qeee1

Postby madeinchinain85 on Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:21 pm

hehe, one more and it would have been a postacular

anyways, I checkup on my rules book for Risk, and found no such rule (in the 1999 edition). Besides that rule makes no sense to me, if you roll twice with only two armies left, either a) you lose 1 and you keep the territory because there's still one army remaining or b) you lose both and the attacker claims the territory. I think he might have confused it with the attacking rule where you MUST leave 1 army behind (so if you have 2 armies on one country you can only attack with 1 army).

Postby kusunoki on Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:07 am

i agree with above
Captain kusunoki

Postby Matteo_zelenko on Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:10 pm

No there isn't any confusion. That's the way it's played. On the game board theoretically you're supposed to put your peices in a 'battle' section. The defender can choose one or two defenders but if he only has two defenders, just as it states for the attacking country, one army must always be occupying the country. In any case, this is the way it's played from my experiences, though there are variants. Perhaps it could be an option when starting a game.
Corporal 1st Class Matteo_zelenko

Postby toneill on Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:10 pm

Ya, there can be some bad beats - its like online poker. sometimes the game just screws with you.
Private 1st Class toneill

Postby weidsun on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:15 pm

mat, i think ur way is the variant
Major weidsun

Postby madeinchinain85 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:26 pm

Matteo_zelenko wrote:No there isn't any confusion. That's the way it's played. On the game board theoretically you're supposed to put your peices in a 'battle' section. The defender can choose one or two defenders but if he only has two defenders, just as it states for the attacking country, one army must always be occupying the country. In any case, this is the way it's played from my experiences, though there are variants. Perhaps it could be an option when starting a game.

ahh, i see what you're saying now, but stil, I've never heard of a battle section nor is it mentioned in the rules

Postby thegrimsleeper on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:33 pm

Only one I've ever seen it on is LOTR... Although Godstorm may have it as well. Never seen Classic with a seperate attacks section tho.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby lackattack on Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:05 am

just wanna mention that I have replaced the dice. here's the details.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby meltinguras on Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:33 pm

lack, can u close this poll now? thx for all the adjustments!
Lieutenant meltinguras

Postby mister_third on Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:34 pm

Nobunaga wrote:... If the guys who wrote this program know even the most basic fundamentals of Math functions - "Random functions" and what not, then they are completely (as far as we're concerned) random.

... And no doubt they know what they're doing.

... It gets weird sometimes - I threw six armies at ONE and failed to take it out. But real dice will do that to you sometimes, too, eh?

Actually, it is impossible to come up with a truely random number generator. The whole thing is based off of probablility of number patterns. Basically, it has a pattern of numbers, determined by another pattern of numbers, which is determined by yet another pattern of numbers (and so on depending on the quality of the generator). it uses these patterns and some simple math functions to pick one number to use. In order to have a truely random selection, the number of patterns used to select this number would have to be infinite, which is impossible. Somewhere along the line, someone has to put in a pattern for the machine to base itself off of. Thus, the number generator isn't random at all. If you could get your hands on the patterns it uses, you could also predict with a reasonable degree of accuracy what each dice roll will be.
Private 1st Class mister_third

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion