Conquer Club

The End of Conquer Club

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

How long till the end?

Total votes : 0

Re: The End of Conquer Club

Postby oaktown on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:38 pm

the gameplay used at CC is public domain - it was developed before hasbro boxed the game and called it "Risk." Lack has as much right to make this game as Hasbro or anybody else does - he just can't steal any of Hasbro's artwork, or call it "Risk."

But on topic, the way I see this ending is when Lack funds his retirement by selling the site to some larger corporation, who then go and screw it all up. And really, how do we know this site isn't already run by Hasbro? :o
Last edited by oaktown on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Captain oaktown

Postby InkL0sed on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:45 pm

oaktown wrote:the gameplay used at CC is public domain - it was developed before hasbro boxed the game and called it "Risk." Lack has as much right to make this game as Hasbro or anybody else does - he just can't steal any of Hasbro's artwork, or call it "Risk."

But on topic, the way I see this ending is when Lack funds his retirement by selling the site to some larger corporation, who then go and screw it all up. And really, how do we know this site isn't already run by Hasbro? :o

Couldn't Lack keep the company, but hire a bunch of people to do the work he does now for him?

I think the real problem will come when Lack dies. Hopefully he finds someone to give it to in his will that will keep the site the way it is...

Though, assuming Lack dies as an old man, I suppose I don't have too much to worry about.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:47 pm

I'm sure he'll put a clause in his will that his children/relatives, to gain their inheritance, must keep CC going strong. ;)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Ryall55 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:50 pm

How old is Lack anyway :?
Highest Score: 3073 - Brig - 7th in UK - 69th Overall
Sergeant 1st Class Ryall55

Postby lanyards on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:51 pm

Ryall55 wrote:How old is Lack anyway :?
My guess is mid 30's to early 40's.

--lanyards
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby Optimus Prime on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:52 pm

lanyards wrote:

--lanyards

Hehehe....
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby SlayerQC on Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:42 pm

owenshooter wrote:
THE KING65 wrote:Honestly, I just think this site is "flying under the radar" and no one at HASBRO has seen it yet. If you google search "risk" it doesnt come up for many pages.

Once they see it, and create a very similar game, they will most likely shut down this site.

Scrabulous was barely making any money and had like 50 million users and it was shut down.

All HASBRO would have to do is file a copyright suit, or better yet just threaten to do so and this site would have no choice but to shut down.

where do you get your info? scarbulous is not dead, it is up and running and i'm still a member. i was just playing a game before i came over here to check my games. so, wrong about that... hasbro knows about this site, and if the classic map were removed, they would have zero ground to stand on. hell, even that map isn't the same as hasbro. the rules and gameplay are different, and the maps on this site are wholly original. i love all the speculation and "facts" that people use that are just not true...-0

Scrabulous was shutdown then reopened in no time under a new name.
Its what ive heard on the news anyways.
oaktown wrote:the gameplay used at CC is public domain - it was developed before hasbro boxed the game and called it "Risk." Lack has as much right to make this game as Hasbro or anybody else does - he just can't steal any of Hasbro's artwork, or call it "Risk."

Not quite sure what you mean...Risk has been around for multiple decades, probably even longer than lack himself.
It was invented in France under a different name.
Sergeant 1st Class SlayerQC

Postby jbrettlip on Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:06 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:
lanyards wrote:

--lanyards

Hehehe....

LAnyards....posting personal info will get you suggsed (or is that wickeded?) right out of the forum...
nothing wrong with a little bit of man on dog love.
Lieutenant jbrettlip

Postby Soloman on Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:16 pm

1 THING WILL KILL CC, HASBRO AND WITH ECONOMIC TIMES AS THEY ARE AND CC MAKING MONEY OFF OF NOT ONLY PREMIUMS BUT MERCHANDISING, HASBRO WILL SOON COME KNOCKING FOR THERE CUT AND POSSIBLY SHUT DOWN THE SITE OR TAKE IT OVER...
You Have 2 choices,You can either Agree With Me or Be Wrong!!! http://www.myspace.com/solomanthewise http://360.yahoo.com/bolar35
Sergeant Soloman

Postby jbrettlip on Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:19 pm

Welcome back racist!!!! I guess you hate the caps shift unlock key, as much as you hate some people in America!!
nothing wrong with a little bit of man on dog love.
Lieutenant jbrettlip

Postby owenshooter on Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:31 pm

SlayerQC wrote:Scrabulous was shutdown then reopened in no time under a new name.

um... yeah... right... instead of making stuff up, why don't you just got to http://www.scrabulous.com, and see for yourself. those two brothers are alive and kicking... and they are way more at risk than CC. they use the ACTUAL scrabble board and it's rules. CC does not use the actual risk board and/or it's rules. the content of the site is wholly original. slayer, i don't understand how hard it is for someone to go to a site they claim is defunct, before posting an outright falsehood.-0
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby SlayerQC on Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:37 pm

owenshooter wrote:
SlayerQC wrote:Scrabulous was shutdown then reopened in no time under a new name.

um... yeah... right... instead of making stuff up, why don't you just got to http://www.scrabulous.com, and see for yourself. those two brothers are alive and kicking... and they are way more at risk than CC. they use the ACTUAL scrabble board and it's rules. CC does not use the actual risk board and/or it's rules. the content of the site is wholly original. slayer, i don't understand how hard it is for someone to go to a site they claim is defunct, before posting an outright falsehood.-0

did you miss the part about the news?
I thought scrabulous was only on facebook anyways, which is what the newscast was talking about.
They also said Electronic Art was going to do the licensed version.

I guess it proves we cant trust the news... :-p

Postby SlayerQC on Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:40 pm

jbrettlip wrote:Welcome back racist!!!! I guess you hate the caps shift unlock key, as much as you hate some people in America!!

lol, I know what you mean, I saw that thread.

and solowoman, CC isnt ripping off hasbro.
The worst it could happen to them is being asked to remove the classic map if they dont want to get sued.
Hasbro might try to sue, but the map is not exactly the same.
It would be a lwayer battle and a judge decision.

Postby fireedud on Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:55 pm

I'm pretty sure Lack made sure that this isn't possible. The disclaimer on the home page was probably made in agreement with Hasbro.
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby owenshooter on Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:05 pm

SlayerQC wrote:I thought scrabulous was only on facebook anyways, which is what the newscast was talking about.

doesn't matter what you thought or what you think you heard, you are still wrong. it is a stand alone site that exists outside of facebook and is a total rip of scrabble. same board, same rules, same graphics. CC has different rules, different and original maps, and could exist without the classic map, which isn't a direct copy of the risk board. sigh...-0

p.s.-soloman, type louder, i can't hear you.
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby SissitSuomesta on Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:15 am

Georgerx7di wrote:there are 23,000 members. Lets say 10,000 of them are premium. Premium cost $25/year. That means that lack is making about $25,000/year off CC, that's not including merchandise. Pretty soon he will be able to make a living off running this site alone, if he doesn't already. I don't see any reason why he would stop doing this. If anything I think that he would continue to put more time into it.

... sorry to "teach you" but 10 000 premium members @ 25 usd each is 250 000 dollars, not 25k !!

:P

I think this is a great site ... lets all keep it that way ...

:D
Private 1st Class SissitSuomesta

Postby owenshooter on Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:38 am

SissitSuomesta wrote:... sorry to "teach you" but 10 000 premium members @ 25 usd each is 250 000 dollars, not 25k !!

welcome to two days ago...-0
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby THE KING65 on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:45 am

owenshooter wrote:

Im sure your an expert on copyright laws, but you're wrong.
Cadet THE KING65

Postby Dancing Mustard on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:52 am

Soloman wrote:1 THING WILL KILL CC, HASBRO AND WITH ECONOMIC TIMES AS THEY ARE AND CC MAKING MONEY OFF OF NOT ONLY PREMIUMS BUT MERCHANDISING, HASBRO WILL SOON COME KNOCKING FOR THERE CUT AND POSSIBLY SHUT DOWN THE SITE OR TAKE IT OVER...

What? Do you think your opinion is more important than everybody elses or something? Is that why you felt the need to type it in caps? Or were you just afraid that people might not read such incoherent and poorly written prose if you didn't make it big enough?

Seriously Salmon, try to grow up a bit and use these boards like an adult.
Wayne wrote:Wow, with a voice like that Dancing Mustard must get all the babes!

Garth wrote:Yeah, I bet he's totally studly and buff.
Corporal Dancing Mustard

Postby Qwert on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:59 am

But on topic, the way I see this ending is when Lack funds his retirement by selling the site to some larger corporation, who then go and screw it all up. And really, how do we know this site isn't already run by Hasbro?

These scenario is very possible,but who knows maybe Lack childrens decide to continue hes work ;) (but money have nasty influence on human brain)
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby saaimen on Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:05 am

I guess you'd have to know exactly which parts of RISK were copyrighted by Hasbro. The artwork (map & cards) only? The gameplay, and what parts of it? It bet it's impossible but who can tell whether the system of 3 attacker dice and 2 defender dice isn't theirs? It's not because the game isn't completely the same, CC can't get sued. Just think of someone covering a song with other lyrics. It's not TOTALLY the same, but be sure he'll have lawyers all over his ass.
On the other hand, as owenshooter said before, it's quite impossible that Hasbro hasn't noticed CC yet.
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby owenshooter on Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:12 am

THE KING65 wrote:Im sure your an expert on copyright laws, but you're wrong.

listen, you aren't even clever enough to type in http://www.scrabulous.com/ to see if the site is gone before publicly declaring it as part of your argument. you have zero footing when one of the main tennants of your argument is farcical, imaginary, gossip, and a plain out fabrication. scrabulous is alive and kicking and using the same name as before. i'm playing jbrettlip right now, in a game on scrabulous, over some coffee... once you base an argument on such a glaring fabrication, you can't really try to just continue dumping buckets of water over the side of your sinking boat, that is your argument. scrabulous is doing fine, and they are an OBVIOUS infringement. show me where hasbro has proprietary rights over ANY map on this site. i am sure DiM, Gimil, Yeti_C, andy and the rest of the map boys would love to get some of that hasbro money for all the hard work, since hasbro seems to own them, according to you. but wait, you are the same guy basing your entire argument on http://www.scrabulous.com/ being shut down by hasbro!!!-0
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby gimil on Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:16 am

owenshooter wrote:
THE KING65 wrote:Im sure your an expert on copyright laws, but you're wrong.

listen, you aren't even clever enough to type in http://www.scrabulous.com/ to see if the site is gone before publicly declaring it as part of your argument. you have zero footing when one of the main tennants of your argument is farcical, imaginary, gossip, and a plain out fabrication. scrabulous is alive and kicking and using the same name as before. i'm playing jbrettlip right now, in a game on scrabulous, over some coffee... once you base an argument on such a glaring fabrication, you can't really try to just continue dumping buckets of water over the side of your sinking boat, that is your argument. scrabulous is doing fine, and they are an OBVIOUS infringement. show me where hasbro has proprietary rights over ANY map on this site. i am sure DiM, Gimil, Yeti_C, andy and the rest of the map boys would love to get some of that hasbro money for all the hard work, since hasbro seems to own them, according to you. but wait, you are the same guy basing your entire argument on http://www.scrabulous.com/ being shut down by hasbro!!!-0

IM due some money? Nice!
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby THE KING65 on Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:20 am

Doing fine = being shutdown, then using a temporarly loophole to get back up for a short time?

ummm, ok. Sounds fine to me...lol

Fact is if HASBRO wants to, they will force this site to shutdown, it isnt even worth the money for CC owner to fight it even if he could afford it.
Cadet THE KING65

Postby THE KING65 on Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:21 am

Oh and if you cant see that scrabouls and CC are obv knockoffs of the orginal and copyrighted games, well I dont know what to tell you. You arent very intelligent.
Cadet THE KING65

PreviousNext

Return to Conquer Club Discussion