Conquer Club

Is there really prejudice against lower ranks?

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Do you discriminate against lower ranks?

Total votes : 0

Is there really prejudice against lower ranks?

Postby cpurcell on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:07 pm

Well, is there? If you are in a game, and realize that there is no way that you can win, do you play normally, or suicide against the lower ranked player so that you will lose less points if/when the higher rank wins? Just wondering,
---C
Major cpurcell

Location: Bashing my keyboard because luck just screwed me to a noob! Oh, and Eastern PA

Re: Is there really prejudice against lower ranks?

Postby hwhrhett on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:31 pm

cpurcell wrote:Well, is there? If you are in a game, and realize that there is no way that you can win, do you play normally, or suicide against the lower ranked player so that you will lose less points if/when the higher rank wins? Just wondering,
---C

lol, a higher ranked player would hopefully never give up. you dont get a high rank by suiciding, lol. that just guaruntees a loss.
Cook hwhrhett

Postby kerntheconkerer on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:35 pm

hwhrhett wrote:
cpurcell wrote:Well, is there? If you are in a game, and realize that there is no way that you can win, do you play normally, or suicide against the lower ranked player so that you will lose less points if/when the higher rank wins? Just wondering,
---C

lol, a higher ranked player would hopefully never give up. you dont get a high rank by suiciding, lol. that just guaruntees a loss.

yea, even I've known that. I've never been above SRG 1st class, but won't to cling on to all those hard earned points as closely as you can.
"Why so Serious?"
<(‘.’<) ^(‘.’)^ (>’.’)>
Corporal 1st Class kerntheconkerer

Postby DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:39 pm

I admit in 8 player games if i get fucked over by a lower rank i f*ck him over or kill him :lol:
Colonel DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID

Postby FabledIntegral on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:44 pm

---C

No - it's against the rules to do so. Ask Twill or King_Achilles. Falls under "gross abuse of the rules." You have to have numerous cases to actually get a bust however.
Major FabledIntegral

Postby maxatstuy on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:53 pm

FabledIntegral wrote:
---C

No - it's against the rules to do so. Ask Twill or King_Achilles. Falls under "gross abuse of the rules." You have to have numerous cases to actually get a bust however.

lol...the problem is to prove that it was a "gross abuse of the rules" and not you last play for survival. I was watching one game where a private was going to win and a major hit him 17-40 gifting the game to a brig, it was a gift, but the major can claim that he was just trying to save himself.

My point is, there is a great prejudice against lower ranks and they are attacked all the time to save points, it is just hard to prove if a thread was made about it in C&A.
Field Marshal maxatstuy

Postby The Neon Peon on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:53 pm

I try not to join games with low ranks too much myself. (I did a week ago and lost 200 points, a whole other story, though) However, I would say I am prejudiced toward lower ranks as a whole.

I just played a speed with some captains, and one private 1st class. When it got down to three people, one was a captain, and the other one was the private. They had basically equal troops, and I bordered both of them. I was clearly the game leader.

Instead of making any type of logical decision (if I could have on a map I did not know hardly at all with fog on), I decided to attack the captain, focusing my efforts on him, rather than the lower ranked player.

Why? Well, either path would have been good, and I believe I would have won either way I chose. However, I am myself prejudiced towards low ranks. I chose to attack the captain because I thought that he would make more intelligent moves, and thus be far more of a threat to me.

I am prejudiced in this way. The private 1st class was actually that only recently (down from sergeant on a bad luck streak). I do not believe that this kind of thinking is good, but I think that many people resort to such beliefs while they have no time to actually check the logs, and determine where each person is, how many troops they probably have, where they are deploying... I have not played many speed games, and am not too good at them, so when put in such a position, I found myself incapable of making any better decision.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby waseemalim on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:54 pm

FabledIntegral wrote:
---C

Dont forget that its very difficult to prove. Has anyone been convicted on suiciding on lower ranks? Not that I know of. :)
Brigadier waseemalim

Postby whitestazn88 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:14 am

yes
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby FabledIntegral on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:20 am

waseemalim wrote:
FabledIntegral wrote:
---C

Dont forget that its very difficult to prove. Has anyone been convicted on suiciding on lower ranks? Not that I know of. :)

I've reported people and they've been "contacted and noted" by king_achilles. I discussed it with Twill for a while and while one game throwing IS considered abuse, it's not considered a GROSS abuse. Thus you need multiple games to make it a gross abuse.
Major FabledIntegral

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:07 am

---C

I mostly play 1 v 1, so it is irrelevant. But there are 2 basic problems with your question, this scenerio.

First, I am myself low ranked, so how I react is not the same as how a high ranked player would act.

Second, it is rarely so simple as " I know I am going to lose". I cannot count the number of times someone has said that only to win ... or at least not the person they presumed would win.

This is why suiciding, giving up in general is not a good idea. I play to win .. to the very end.

That said, I think if I stood to lose over 50 points versus maybe 20 ... it probably would affect my playing.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Jeff Hardy on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:19 am

high ranks are far less likely to make stupid moves (and ruin someone elses game) or even suicide someone
General Jeff Hardy

Location: Matt Hardy's account, you can play against me there

Postby The Neon Peon on Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:26 am

Jeff Hardy wrote:high ranks are far less likely to make stupid moves (and ruin someone elses game) or even suicide someone

The difference is. When a high rank suicides, they know exactly what they are doing. When a low rank suicides, they think they are making a really good move.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby Jeff Hardy on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:29 pm

The Neon Peon wrote:
Jeff Hardy wrote:high ranks are far less likely to make stupid moves (and ruin someone elses game) or even suicide someone

The difference is. When a high rank suicides, they know exactly what they are doing. When a low rank suicides, they think they are making a really good move.

which is really annoying
then when you are both out, they think they know better than you and often say stuff like: "well you didnt win either"
General Jeff Hardy

Location: Matt Hardy's account, you can play against me there

Postby pimpdave on Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:56 pm

I'm not sure about the prejudice against the lower ranks, but I do know that the mods have extreme prejudice when it comes to posting inflammatory material in GD, despite how hilarious it might be to any (even if it's just one) member.

So I say we join forces, and complain about both in this thread.

Also, if you are a high rank, then I am prejudiced against you.
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Postby owenshooter on Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:04 pm

only if they are black...-0
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby grantbro on Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:51 am

i'v seen many games where lower ranks get ganged up on if they're on top of the higher ranked individuals. its actually kind of sad in a way, seeing as its just a game, and its not like we win any fiscal reward besides the satisfaction of beatin ur highly ranked ass!

i dont care who i win OR lose against, as long as it was a good game.

-G

ps - i was a serget at one stage...
Private 1st Class grantbro

Postby Cundy on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:59 am

there is when they are playing with higher ranks (sometimes), but slight disadvantage in some games is nothing compared to the way point win/loss works at low ranks.

can easily gain rank, where there is no prob lol
Major Cundy

Postby Fruitcake on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:09 am

Lower ranks should know their place in the cc food chain, and fortunately most of them do, at the bottom. This is good and keeps the natural order of things stable.

However, it's those uppity bloody middle classes that get right up my nose. Bloody Junior hoccifer ranks, think they are celver because they aren't a serge. or some such any more. They are a real problem, and don't normally shake it off until they get to the higher reaches of majority.

Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
Colonel Fruitcake

Postby MajorRT on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:19 am

Fruitcake wrote:Lower ranks should know their place in the cc food chain, and fortunately most of them do, at the bottom. This is good and keeps the natural order of things stable.

However, it's those uppity bloody middle classes that get right up my nose. Bloody Junior hoccifer ranks, think they are celver because they aren't a serge. or some such any more. They are a real problem, and don't normally shake it off until they get to the higher reaches of majority.

Do I detect a condescending demeanor? Perhaps it's time to quell the spirit with some port?
Major MajorRT

Postby Mr Changsha on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:32 am

MajorRT wrote:
Fruitcake wrote:Lower ranks should know their place in the cc food chain, and fortunately most of them do, at the bottom. This is good and keeps the natural order of things stable.

Do I detect a condescending demeanor? Perhaps it's time to quell the spirit with some port?

*Fruitcake reaches for his bull whip*
Colonel Mr Changsha

Postby HayesA on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:57 am

Did it in the past, and got in quite a lot of trouble for it, too. Pissed off half the board, I believe. I had a guy contact me telling me he blocked me because it was reported that I suicided once in a game, and I never even played the guy. I believe there is quite a lot of barking about it, but I think it's all hypocrisy. As I think a lot of players will see how a game is going to turn out, and try to lesson the damage to their oh so precious score.

It's been debated in the past about the so-called meta game, or the score. How some players don't really play Risk, but they play the site's meta-game, or their score to rank them selves higher. It's been done before, and will continue to do so as long as there are players. I say just play the game as you wish. It's only a game afterall.
A mindless philosopher.
Sergeant HayesA

Postby Fruitcake on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:44 am

MajorRT wrote:

Well 9.09 in the morning was a tad early even for me. I am a firm believer that one should always wait for 10.00am to strike on the clock before cracking open a new bottle.

Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
Colonel Fruitcake

Postby KoE_Sirius on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:37 pm

I play the same every game. Rank doesn't mean much to me. I see more of a prejudice against higher ranks.
In several of my game players have annouced that they will attack me, because they think I am the better player.
I have never seen a colonel say "lets get the Cook".
A few high ranks will hand over the game to a higher rank.
I am not one of them. :D
Highest Rank 4th.
Major KoE_Sirius

Return to Conquer Club Discussion