Conquer Club

Sandbox-ish Type games

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Sandbox-ish Type games

Postby TheForgivenOne on Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:33 pm

Hi Guys :mrgreen:

So I was thinking while talking with my friend about how to "lighten" up the Mafia games here a bit. We were talking about games how they have 2 general types of online games. Competitive and a "more-for-fun/sandbox" type gamestyle.

So why not try that here? Granted C9 Games are hard to make a sandbox type game, But I know a setup i've used on another site which basically isn't competitive (Too much chance is involved in the game to be competitive).

Do you think would help lighten people up a bit?

Just trying to help. 8-[
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Re: Sandbox-ish Type games

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:38 pm

Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby TheForgivenOne on Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:53 pm

WingCmdr Ginkapo wrote:http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=JK9%2B%2B

Do you mean these forms?

Something like that, but a bit more bizarre.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby aage on Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:30 pm

Do you think people need lightening up?

Mafia is a game where we try to convince each other to virtually murder one of the other players. It's a game of wit and logic, and tempers get high when players feel they're being misunderstood, treated unfairly and ridiculed. Unfortunately this is all part of the game, because the inherent premise of the game is that certain players must lie, twist the reality and play people against each other in order to win.

People don't need to lighten up, people just need to understand the difference between a game and an insult.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby StorrZerg on Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:56 pm

i mean, i'd say any heavy flavor based game = sandbox

and most of the games played here are very flavor/role centric
Major StorrZerg

Postby TheForgivenOne on Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:15 pm

aage wrote:Do you think people need lightening up?

Mafia is a game where we try to convince each other to virtually murder one of the other players. It's a game of wit and logic, and tempers get high when players feel they're being misunderstood, treated unfairly and ridiculed. Unfortunately this is all part of the game, because the inherent premise of the game is that certain players must lie, twist the reality and play people against each other in order to win.

People don't need to lighten up, people just need to understand the difference between a game and an insult.

I honestly think some people do. I've seen so many grudges go on between people and from game to game. I know I had this problem at one time.

It makes it harder for me, someone who likes the game, but doesn't like to take it overly serious, to stay involved. I also think it's harder for new people to try it out. Because as much as everyone says they don't, i've seen people treat new people pretty poorly.

That's why I like the idea of a less intense game. Sort of like Super Smash Bro's online options. For Glory and For Fun.

It's just a thought. I've played set-ups on another website that make the atmosphere more relaxed.

For me it's just a thought, plus a chance to try out wackier roles I've seen that more than likely wouldn't work in a regular type game we see here. (I don't mean flavor cops or anything) But for example (I honestly haven't seen these roles here, so ignore me if you have), one of each type:
Loudmouth: If anyone visits the LM at night, they are revealed at start of day. Player X, Y, and Z have woke me during the night! <------ Town
Yakuza - During any night phrase, he may kill himself, but may convert one player to a Nilla Mafia.
Third Party: Mistletoe - Picks 2 players each night. If they are in same alignment, they fall in love. If not, they don't. Wins if every living player is in love with someone.

I honestly don't think any of these roles would work in the standard games seen here. Most times roles are within set parameters that don't mess up the flow of the game.

One setup I had in mind involved Werewolves, which is a role I don't see here.

I'm honestly just brainstorming here (and rambling...)
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby / on Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:12 am

Mafia was never really serious in the years that I played. In fact, I don't think I've ever hosted a single game one here with purely normal roles, and I've hosted quite a few.
If you look through the archives for a bit, you'll find an absolute treasure trove of wacky games by some of the best mods even to grace this site (and quite a few wonderfully horrible ones too :P). Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the "nonstandard" games outnumber the standard games on this site.

So by all means, it would be wonderful if you added those roles some crazy and hilarious games here, heck, it'd be great to pepper some in to the serious ones too!

Cool roles btw. :D
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby Streaker on Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:19 am

I remember especially the Fircoal games. Just any. Pick a random one of his games.
Did you have fun in them? I bet you did!

Personally I really like the heavy power role setups, like Storrs PYP mafia.
Epi's HP flavoured mafia was great, but it revolves around so much flavour discussion, so heavy power roles but no flavour apart to spice up the scenes.

TFO, why don't you try hosting a game that involves some (or all) crazy roles? If it doesn't work, too bad. I'll bet you will find enough interest here to try out something crazy.
First Tournament Victory: Game 6518858

Image[/quote]
Captain Streaker

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:55 am

Streaker wrote:I remember especially the Fircoal games. Just any. Pick a random one of his games.
Did you have fun in them? I bet you did!

Personally I really like the heavy power role setups, like Storrs PYP mafia.
Epi's HP flavoured mafia was great, but it revolves around so much flavour discussion, so heavy power roles but no flavour apart to spice up the scenes.

TFO, why don't you try hosting a game that involves some (or all) crazy roles? If it doesn't work, too bad. I'll bet you will find enough interest here to try out something crazy.

Hm, see it sucks that I wasn't here in the old years. I played 1 Fircoal game and I think it got abandoned. Or maybe it was the MLP game and that confused the ever loving heck out of me :lol:

I'll think about hosting one. I'd have to think of the roles that are available, try and sort them into what would be possible or not. I'd also need someone to TRY and see if the setup is balanced.
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby aage on Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:42 am

Fir definitely gave out the best role PMs ever. This gem's been sitting around in my archive folder for ages now.

Fircoal wrote:You are Charizard, a total loser who has nothing going in your life what so ever. You go from town to town trying to find someone who will take you in. That is when you found the mafia. Eager to take anyone you joined them. They weren't the nicest but at least they were someone. As much as they gave you, you were not satisfied, you wanted more. You wanted power. You now have it out for the leader of this mafia, you must kill her so you can become the leader instead.

Each night you talk with your mafia and kill someone.

The mafia are Nagerous, Aage, and Doom Yoshi. You are free to talk to each other at night.

Goal: Eliminate Nagerous and have the mafia outnumber the total population of the town.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:47 am

aage wrote:Fir definitely gave out the best role PMs ever. This gem's been sitting around in my archive folder for ages now.

Fircoal wrote:You are Charizard, a total loser who has nothing going in your life what so ever. You go from town to town trying to find someone who will take you in. That is when you found the mafia. Eager to take anyone you joined them. They weren't the nicest but at least they were someone. As much as they gave you, you were not satisfied, you wanted more. You wanted power. You now have it out for the leader of this mafia, you must kill her so you can become the leader instead.

Each night you talk with your mafia and kill someone.

The mafia are Nagerous, Aage, and Doom Yoshi. You are free to talk to each other at night.

Goal: Eliminate Nagerous and have the mafia outnumber the total population of the town.

I doubt I could ever match Fircoal in his role descriptions. I remember one game I was the buizel (Sp?)

aage, if I was to PM the roles I was thinking of to you, could you give me an opinion on if they'd work well here?
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby aage on Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:36 pm

I'm no expert on balance, you're better off asking someone with more experience on modding games.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:22 pm

Eh, less looking for balance, more looking for... Playability of a role?
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby StorrZerg on Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:44 pm

Tfo, you have skype?
Major StorrZerg

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:44 pm

StorrZerg wrote:Tfo, you have skype?

Certainly do. I might be at work at the moment though 8-[ Don't tell my boss.
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby StorrZerg on Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:46 pm

i have a friend that will be pming you on cc. should be able to help you out
Major StorrZerg

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:12 pm

StorrZerg wrote:i have a friend that will be pming you on cc. should be able to help you out

He better not tell my boss either.
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby StorrZerg on Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:04 pm

bribe him well then
Major StorrZerg

Postby TheForgivenOne on Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:33 pm

StorrZerg wrote:bribe him well then

Psst, I haven't heard from your friend. 8-[
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby aage on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:16 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:Eh, less looking for balance, more looking for... Playability of a role?

I could give you my thoughts on a single role but nobody could have a clue of its playability if they don't know what setup it is being used in. You can PM me if you value my opinion, but I doubt whether I will have insights which you didn't already have.

So PM me if you want to, I'll respond. Don't base your opinion of a setup on them though.
Sergeant 1st Class aage

Postby TheForgivenOne on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:38 pm

aage wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:Eh, less looking for balance, more looking for... Playability of a role?

I could give you my thoughts on a single role but nobody could have a clue of its playability if they don't know what setup it is being used in. You can PM me if you value my opinion, but I doubt whether I will have insights which you didn't already have.

So PM me if you want to, I'll respond. Don't base your opinion of a setup on them though.

I respect your opinion as much as anybody here. When I have a moment, I'm going to sort through the roles I have. I'll shoot you a list with what they do and if you would be "Cool, this is a neat role I have!" Or "This role is dumb and stupid and TFO should stop eating glue"
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Streaker on Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:37 am

TheForgivenOne wrote:
aage wrote:

I respect your opinion as much as anybody here. When I have a moment, I'm going to sort through the roles I have. I'll shoot you a list with what they do and if you would be "Cool, this is a neat role I have!" Or "This role is dumb and stupid and TFO should stop eating glue"

You should try it out in a game. Stupid roles aren't necesarilly bad for gameplay, ya know.
First Tournament Victory: Game 6518858

Image[/quote]
Captain Streaker

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:18 am

Streaker wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:
aage wrote:

You should try it out in a game. Stupid roles aren't necesarilly bad for gameplay, ya know.

Well according to aage, I had a couple repeats, but a lot of my town roles were dumb. :( HE'S A BIG MEANY.

Although he loved a majority of my Mafia roles 8-[
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:13 pm

I'd probably need help hosting the game as I've never hosted before.
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Return to Mafia Discussions