Conquer Club

Double World [3/16/13] [V1] [P1/1]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Double World [3/16/13] [V1] [P1/1]

Postby cballer1010 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:16 pm

Map Name: Double World
Mapmaker(s): cballer1010
Number of Territories: 84
Special Features: None
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: It adds a twist to the classic map and makes everything more interesting with double of everything. It would also be a fun map for bigger games too.

This is just my first draft of the map and I plan on changing some things. I would love all the feedback I could get, so post any comments questions or concerns you have about the map.

To Do List
-Possibly change textures/colors of the land and water.
-Possibly change the setup/design of the bottom section.
-Fill that bottom middle space down in the bottom section with something. (Any suggestions?)
-Add 888s. (I will probably have to move around the territory names to do this so there will be room.)
-Possibly change the name to Double Earth. (I think I like Double World better though.)

Map Image:
Click image to enlarge.
Major cballer1010

Re: Double World [3/16/13] [V1] [P1/1]

Postby jigger1986 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:30 pm

I like the idea, but maybe a suggestion for gameplay.

Have starting position and separate the 2 worlds. Have a place (maybe in that corner you are trying to fill) be the only spot where transfer between the 2 worlds is possible.

Also maybe have it so that any regions can bomb the corresponding region in the 2nd world.
Ex. 1SA2 bombs 2SA2 etc....
Sergeant 1st Class jigger1986

Postby cballer1010 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:40 pm

jigger1986 wrote:I like the idea, but maybe a suggestion for gameplay.

Have starting position and separate the 2 worlds. Have a place (maybe in that corner you are trying to fill) be the only spot where transfer between the 2 worlds is possible.

Also maybe have it so that any regions can bomb the corresponding region in the 2nd world.
Ex. 1SA2 bombs 2SA2 etc....

Your ideas are really cool. Ill keep them in mind. Thanks for some good feedback.
Major cballer1010

Postby ManBungalow on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:42 pm

Check out this map thread for interest and concept:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=148995#p3254162

I had an idea once for a classic map, but where everything is scaled up by a factor of 10 (all the bonuses). This was intended to average out some of the extreme rolls, but there are some fundamental flaws in that idea. I guess I just thought you might like to know.

I think there's also an abandoned map/idea somewhere of a similar set of 'worlds' to your idea, which connected. I think it was something to do with plate tectonics. I'll have to have a look.

Actually, they connected - as I recall - in basically this way:

etc.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby cballer1010 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Check out this map thread for interest and concept:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=148995#p3254162

Not sure if i like this idea or not. But it's something to think about.

And for this, if i did happen to do this. You think it should be a few territories in each world that can attack 1 territory not in either world that connects the 2 worlds, or just one territory from each world that can attack the connector territory?
Major cballer1010

Postby jigger1986 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:10 pm

I was thinking more of a conditional border where if you hold like an an entire continent you can attack through a neutral stack to the other side
Sergeant 1st Class jigger1986

Postby ManBungalow on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:44 pm

Here, this is the thread I was thinking of before:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=152996
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:05 pm

cballer1010, firstly let me welcome you to the foundry. It is always nice to see new faces around here and we all hope that you stick around. Let me point you in the right direction and we will see if you can get a map made on Conquer Club. I hope you have read the map handbook, if not, then lease do so. It will give you lots of the information you will need to making a map. Anything else, just ask away. Another thing to consider looking at now would be this. It will get you acquainted on what you can do with a map nowadays.

Whilst I may not have anything against the map, I will throw cold water onto this now so as not to get your hopes up. You have a pretty good idea for a map but this one which ManB pointed out is a better idea. Size on yours is going to be a huge issue. You are trying to fit two classic maps onto one map without doubling the size. Never going to happen. Remember, each region not only needs to contain names, but also a triple 888 from one of theseImage Right now, your map will not. A nice try for a first attempt, but that is it.

Best advice for you, as you are a map virginImage, read the info given above, make sure you know what ever programme you are using (PS :-s or GIMP :D ), plenty of people here who can help. Then come up with something very simple. Your from the US and that is pretty much done to death, but one part is not on a map yet, Hawaii.

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby cballer1010 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:14 am

Thanks for the feedback. I do realize the size of the map is a big issue i have. Do you think i could possibly make it a super sized map? Another thing, i feel that the idea that ManB pointed out, is a pretty good idea but for what im trying to do im not sure that will work out too well. I really like the idea of just 2 classic maps side by side and maybe the possibility that there is only one territory connecting the 2 or something along those lines. Idk what do you think about it?
Major cballer1010

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:11 am

Even with super size, you will not get it all on. Remember, two maps need to be made (one small and one large) and the small super size map is smaller than the current large one. You just cannot fit all the information on needed. As I said, try to find something simple, keep this alive as it is something you can play with to learn your programme (what is it?).
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby cballer1010 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:38 pm

I use Gimp. Hmmm, what if i put one world on top of the other and not side by side. Idk it might not be small enough still, but ill play around with it and see how small i can get it.
Major cballer1010

Postby ManBungalow on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:30 pm

cballer1010 wrote:I use Gimp. Hmmm, what if i put one world on top of the other and not side by side. Idk it might not be small enough still, but ill play around with it and see how small i can get it.

Maybe you could do this but without the world map itself?

ie. have two main 'areas' with some sort of bottleneck between them but not based on the world map.
This might also give you some more flexibility with which to get it all on a non-supersized image.

Have you ever played the Arms Race map?
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby cballer1010 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:46 am

Have you ever played the Arms Race map?

No, but i know what it looks like. Thanks for the suggestion, but i don't know if i would want to do that. i like the idea of 2 classic maps but ill think about it. Thanks again for your help.
Major cballer1010

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:53 am

ManBungalow wrote:
cballer1010 wrote:I use Gimp. Hmmm, what if i put one world on top of the other and not side by side. Idk it might not be small enough still, but ill play around with it and see how small i can get it.

Maybe you could do this but without the world map itself?

ie. have two main 'areas' with some sort of bottleneck between them but not based on the world map.
This might also give you some more flexibility with which to get it all on a non-supersized image.

Two classic maps seems sort of gimmicky. I think the idea could be more interesting with something more original!

Best of luck.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby cballer1010 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:32 pm

hmmm ok i think about it.
Major cballer1010

Postby Seamus76 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:20 am

CB, welcome to the foundry. I know for me posting my first draft was pretty exciting and then the reality of the feedback, and what it would take to get a map into play hit me in the face. :lol: It looks like you have a good foundation to build your skills upon, koontz and I use gimp, so we can help you with that if need be. Now comes the time for persistence, I hope you stick with it.

As for the map. Personally I'm over the "world" view, but you have a good idea. This is your map, so you can certainly go in a direction you want, but koontz and ManB are right, you can do more with this idea, and make something unique.

I have been working on one along the same lines as some of those other ideas, but with three other maps in the foundry I have put this one on the back shelf. That being said, you might be able to draw some inspiration from it, and see that your map doesn't have to be a "World" view to have the gameplay you are looking for. Feel free to use this idea, but I'm sure you can come up with something different (more along your own style and desires ;) ).
show

Good luck, and STICK WITH IT!!
ImageImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class Seamus76

Postby cballer1010 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:12 am

Thanks and i think i will try something without the classic map, but with the same kind of idea.
Major cballer1010

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas