Conquer Club

Famine V.19.3 pg1+35 [I] [Reworking]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Continue, vacation, or abandon?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:23 pm

Total votes : 0

Re: Famine V.18. pg1+28 [I] Need comments on hills, last page

Postby fireedud on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:48 am

Bry, can I do the XML?
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby bryguy on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:51 am

seamusk wrote:
InkL0sed wrote:He means literally drawing the shadows with a brush... which I think is insane...

so is doing 1500 redrafts. I think drawing by hand is preferable in certain instances. Personally I like it better than dodge and burn. Gives you a lot more control.

so far i have done 3 redrafts. Also, for the dodge and burn on the current version, that is not done with an actual dodge and burn tool. That is done with an airbrush on a seperate layer.
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:51 am

fireedud wrote:Bry, can I do the XML?

yea sure :)

ill do the coords tho ;)
Corporal bryguy

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:05 pm

You don't need to worry about the XML yet. I'd focus on the map, which has some time to go! :D

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby fireedud on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:53 pm

The monkey's too slow. I wrote the main bonus structure for the Flax region already:

Code: Select all
<continent>
<name>Ila Famine</name>
<components>
<territory>Ila</territory>
<components>
<bonus>-1</bonus>
</continent>
<continent>
<name>Payl Famine</name>
<components>
<territory>Payl</territory>
<components>
<bonus>-1</bonus>
</continent>
<continent>
<name>Keyl Famine</name>
<components>
<territory>Keyl</territory>
<components>
<bonus>-1</bonus>
</continent>
<continent>
<name>Wria Famine</name>
<components>
<territory>Wria</territory>
<components>
<bonus>-1</bonus>
</continent>
<continent>
<name>Opre Famine</name>
<components>
<territory>Opre</territory>
<components>
<bonus>-1</bonus>
</continent>
<continent>
<name>Col'es Famine</name>
<components>
<territory>Col'es</territory>
<components>
<bonus>-1</bonus>
</continent>
<continent>
<name>Flax Resource</name>
<components>
<territory>Flax</territory>
<components>
<bonus>0</bonus>
<overrides>
<continent>Ila Famine</continent>
<continent>Payl Famine</continent>
<continent>Keyl Famine</continent>
<continent>Wria Famine</continent>
<continent>Opre Famine</continent>
<continent>Col'es Famine</continent>
</continent>

I'm just puttin this here to make sure this is what Bry wants. And I need to ask, are the castles/villages autodeploy? And I need to know how many territories are on the map.
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby bryguy on Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:05 am

fireedud wrote:The monkey's too slow. I wrote the main bonus structure for the Flax region already:

Code: Select all
<continent>
<name>Ila Famine</name>
<components>
<territory>Ila</territory>
<components>
<bonus>-1</bonus>
</continent>
<continent>
<name>Payl Famine</name>
<components>
<territory>Payl</territory>
<components>
<bonus>-1</bonus>
</continent>
<continent>
<name>Keyl Famine</name>
<components>
<territory>Keyl</territory>
<components>
<bonus>-1</bonus>
</continent>
<continent>
<name>Wria Famine</name>
<components>
<territory>Wria</territory>
<components>
<bonus>-1</bonus>
</continent>
<continent>
<name>Opre Famine</name>
<components>
<territory>Opre</territory>
<components>
<bonus>-1</bonus>
</continent>
<continent>
<name>Col'es Famine</name>
<components>
<territory>Col'es</territory>
<components>
<bonus>-1</bonus>
</continent>
<continent>
<name>Flax Resource</name>
<components>
<territory>Flax</territory>
<components>
<bonus>0</bonus>
<overrides>
<continent>Ila Famine</continent>
<continent>Payl Famine</continent>
<continent>Keyl Famine</continent>
<continent>Wria Famine</continent>
<continent>Opre Famine</continent>
<continent>Col'es Famine</continent>
</continent>

I'm just puttin this here to make sure this is what Bry wants. And I need to ask, are the castles/villages autodeploy? And I need to know how many territories are on the map.

yep thats exactly right :) =D>

im not sure how many territs, ill count them soon

No they are not autodeploy. They have their own continent bonus
Corporal bryguy

Postby oaktown on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:46 am

bryguy wrote:
oaktown wrote:OK, but how do you tell what your castle area is?

theres a little picture showing each resource's effect area (thanks for telling me about the spelling).

Ah, so resources areas and castle areas are the same. You'll have to say that somehow on the map because most of the potential players will never have visited the Foundry. And what's with potatoes, which doesn't seem to have a castle?

I remember when the discussion was held about trying to find a theme for the map, and famine seemed like a good one. Trouble is, I look at this map and I still don't see famine - either in the gameplay or the graphics. I see water-intensive crops (like pumpkins) all over the map, castles and villages in the wasteland, and a full one-third of the map is either water or mud. Under drought conditions mud generally dries up.

There are two pretty good examples of dry maps right here in the foundry... the first is the Oasis map, in which 80% of the map is inhospitable and its refelcted in the gameplay, and the second is th Dustbowl, which makes excellent use of color to convey a sense of dryness.
Captain oaktown

Postby fireedud on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:11 am

oaktown wrote:
bryguy wrote:

theres a little picture showing each resource's effect area (thanks for telling me about the spelling).

Ah, so resources areas and castle areas are the same. You'll have to say that somehow on the map because most of the potential players will never have visited the Foundry. And what's with potatoes, which doesn't seem to have a castle?

I remember when the discussion was held about trying to find a theme for the map, and famine seemed like a good one. Trouble is, I look at this map and I still don't see famine - either in the gameplay or the graphics. I see water-intensive crops (like pumpkins) all over the map, castles and villages in the wasteland, and a full one-third of the map is either water or mud. Under drought conditions mud generally dries up.

There are two pretty good examples of dry maps right here in the foundry... the first is the Oasis map, in which 80% of the map is inhospitable and its refelcted in the gameplay, and the second is th Dustbowl, which makes excellent use of color to convey a sense of dryness.

I'm taking a longshot at this, but maybe the famine was caused by flooding...
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby bryguy on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:57 pm

fireedud wrote:
oaktown wrote:
bryguy wrote:

I'm taking a longshot at this, but maybe the famine was caused by flooding...

LOL that really is a longshot fire....

and in answer to your question oak:

have you taken a look at the example telvania did? im trying to make it like that, with the mud looking more dried up, and maybe even less/no water.

for about potatoes:

the potatoes area does have a castle, its in the lower left corner. I think its Lotrey Castle, but im forgetful....

and ok, ill look at those :D

oasis i know almost by heart....

but ive hardly ever seen dustbowl
Corporal bryguy

Re: Famine V.18. pg1+28 [I]

Postby BBoz on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:19 am

This looks like it could be an interesting map. Here were some ideas I had about tweaks / game play.

- I see an oasis on the map and that got me thinking. Since crops need water, you could have different "water" resources to water the crops. If you have a water resource and crop in the same "castle area", you could do a +3 deployed on the Village or maybe just a +3 bonus. (Options, Oasis, Stream, Well, Pump, Pond, Spring). You could spur some fighting too if you have a stream or pond that 2 castle areas might touch.

- Crops could be "shipped / delivered" to different areas of the Map via castles. For example, hold Crop/Water/Castle in one area, and Castle / Village in another. The Crops could be shipped to the other village (+2) not deployed, just earned.

- Hold Castle and Crop, but no water in same area, -1 (maybe negative deploy on the castle). (Peasants revolt because the feudal lord can't grow the crops). You could also do a "shipping thing" here with water too. +2 again to offset the -1, so the net would be +1. (i.e. you could get some water to the crops, but not much).

- Hold All Crops (or all Water) i.e. Corner the Market, +8.

Just seem like something along those lines would hold more of a Famine aspect to it.

Note on the Map Legend:
- I suggest putting the Mud bonuses together. It was a little confusing the way they are shown. I thought the evens didn't have any penalties and I can see people missing that. If you put them in one "paragraph", it will make it a little easier to catch.
Sergeant 1st Class BBoz

Postby bryguy on Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:44 pm

BBoz wrote:This looks like it could be an interesting map. Here were some ideas I had about tweaks / game play.

- I see an oasis on the map and that got me thinking. Since crops need water, you could have different "water" resources to water the crops. If you have a water resource and crop in the same "castle area", you could do a +3 deployed on the Village or maybe just a +3 bonus. (Options, Oasis, Stream, Well, Pump, Pond, Spring). You could spur some fighting too if you have a stream or pond that 2 castle areas might touch.

- Crops could be "shipped / delivered" to different areas of the Map via castles. For example, hold Crop/Water/Castle in one area, and Castle / Village in another. The Crops could be shipped to the other village (+2) not deployed, just earned.

- Hold Castle and Crop, but no water in same area, -1 (maybe negative deploy on the castle). (Peasants revolt because the feudal lord can't grow the crops). You could also do a "shipping thing" here with water too. +2 again to offset the -1, so the net would be +1. (i.e. you could get some water to the crops, but not much).

- Hold All Crops (or all Water) i.e. Corner the Market, +8.

Just seem like something along those lines would hold more of a Famine aspect to it.

hey cool ill have to sleep/think about those

Note on the Map Legend:
- I suggest putting the Mud bonuses together. It was a little confusing the way they are shown. I thought the evens didn't have any penalties and I can see people missing that. If you put them in one "paragraph", it will make it a little easier to catch.

yea, i can see that happening. Im thinking of changing it so that all of the mud have a killer neutral of 6 or more
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:24 pm

Just thought Id give you guys and update on how things are going....

uh.... work on the map is going good... I've modified the ground, mud, bridges, trees, roads, resources, oasis, mini-map-thingy, and land territory borders. I still have to work on the castles, mud borders, legend, water, and villages, but hopefully I can get those done soon. I sent a draft for how the map is looking to telvannia to see if he thinks its looking better, and im hoping he will say yes.... [-o<

OH! and I redrew/redid the borders. Hopefully you guys will like them better now... they aint blurry :D
Corporal bryguy

Postby BBoz on Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:44 pm

Any thoughts on the gameplay tweaks?
Sergeant 1st Class BBoz

Postby bryguy on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:23 pm

BBoz wrote:Any thoughts on the gameplay tweaks?

OH YEA! i forgot about those! let me read them again... my week(s) have been busy in RL lately and i forgot about them
Corporal bryguy

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:15 am

still waiting for update.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:53 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:still waiting for update.

who isnt?
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby bryguy on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:41 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:

who isnt?

sorry about it taking so long

Far as I know, I just have the following to fix before an update:

the water (needs depth)
the castles (i redid them, but i made them to symetrical)
the desert/brown area
maybe the bridges

as far as i know, i just have to fix those things. It hopefully wont take to long, but i havent had time to really work on it since monday. been to busy since then. I hope to get some work done on it tomorrow
Corporal bryguy

Postby BBoz on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:14 pm

and the ideas review... :D
Sergeant 1st Class BBoz

Postby bryguy on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:16 pm

BBoz wrote:and the ideas review... :D

oh shoot i keep forgetting!

darn my busy schedule!

i look at it again soon, i have to get off right now :(

oh well, i dont want to starve to death because im stuck on the computer :D
Corporal bryguy

Postby BBoz on Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:25 pm

bryguy wrote:oh well, i dont want to starve to death because im stuck on the computer :D

LOL, you made a funny... :lol: =D>
Sergeant 1st Class BBoz

Postby bryguy on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:33 pm

BBoz wrote:
bryguy wrote:oh well, i dont want to starve to death because im stuck on the computer :D

LOL, you made a funny... :lol: =D>

and i finally have had some time to think about it, and i dont think ill be able to fit it into this map. Maybe another map if i do another, but it wouldnt work for this one. Sorry :(

whitestazn88 wrote:

who isnt?

would a preview work for now?

edit:
mibi wrote:Seriously though, it looks as if someone snapped a photo of their nephew doodling and pissing in a sand box, then scanned the photo with one of those 6 in one machines that they got at a yard sale for 5 bucks because a gummy bear was wedged in the USB slot, then used a copy of Paint Shop Pro 3 Shareware they got out of a box of Cheerios back in 1999 to draw some basic shapes and test out all the filters, then used a random word generator that had a nordic accent to populate the map is one of the worst rendered fonts I have seen.

whoah, after remaking the map from the ground up (quite literally!) i can tell how true this statement is after looking at previous versions :shock:

and to believe I used to think it was a masterpiece 8-[
Corporal bryguy

Postby xruan on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:37 pm

The Oasis doesn't really blend with the rest of the picture. I can see the square for the oasis and it looks really awkward.
Captain xruan

Postby bryguy on Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:40 pm

xruan wrote:The Oasis doesn't really blend with the rest of the picture. I can see the square for the oasis and it looks really awkward.

that will get fixed, thanks :)
Corporal bryguy

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:41 pm

so I see your new sig, when can we see the rest of the image?
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby bryguy on Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:49 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:so I see your new sig, when can we see the rest of the image?

just need to tweak the gameplay a bit, re-word a couple things, and change the villages (maybe castles slightly) :D
Corporal bryguy

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas