Conquer Club

Conqueropoly [Back!]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conqueropoly [Back!]

Postby ManBungalow on Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:34 am

I like the idea behind this map, but I think you need to work some more regions into it if your map is to become a success.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby captainwalrus on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:42 am

it sort of looks distorted in some areas. For example, the red bonus on the legend is all smudged and it makes the value unreadable.
Is it saved as a jpeg? I find that .png's come out better quality.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby darkangelsguy205 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:58 pm

wait i thought we changed somethings and when is this going to become a map
Sergeant darkangelsguy205

Postby captainwalrus on Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:44 pm

darkangelsguy205 wrote:wait i thought we changed somethings and when is this going to become a map

It takes a long time for a draft to become a map, it needs to be approved for Gameplay, Graphics and xml, which takes usually no shorter than 6 months, but if people give good feedback it goes a lot faster!
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby Gilligan on Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:45 pm

ManBungalow wrote:I like the idea behind this map, but I think you need to work some more regions into it if your map is to become a success.

Care to elaborate?
Captain Gilligan

Postby Pedronicus on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:02 pm

So the site has got round the copyright problem then?

ManBungalow wrote:I like the idea behind this map

What idea is that then? stealing a famous board game layout and renaming parts of the board? Yeah! - in the world of ideas, this has to be the laziest idea ever.

I must go to the tool shed this weekend and invent a round device that would help move heavy loads....
Highest position 7th. Highest points 3311 All of my graffiti can be found here
Major Pedronicus

Postby phantomzero on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:14 pm

Pedronicus wrote:So the site has got round the copyright problem then?

What idea is that then? stealing a famous board game layout and renaming parts of the board? Yeah! - in the world of ideas, this has to be the laziest idea ever.

I must go to the tool shed this weekend and invent a round device that would help move heavy loads....

I think this map could considered a heavy load.
Sergeant 1st Class phantomzero

Postby Gilligan on Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:02 pm

Umm...anybody?
Captain Gilligan

Postby danfrank on Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:41 pm

Pedronicus wrote:So the site has got round the copyright problem then?

I have an idea , it may be round or even oval , but we could call it a toilet.. That may get rid of a heavy load..

also another bite off hasbro was conquer4 :roll:
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:46 pm

I like it so far, I think the biggest key element is that there are lots of borders on different territories, to prevent players from holding one key territory.

I think if anything gameplay related, it would be more smaller bonus areas, rather than fewer large ones.

The reason I say this is I think the best way to work this is to allow for lots of mobility, not allow one person to hold one bonus and steamroll everyone. I don't know how everyone else feels.

I think the CC logo (where I assume Go would be in the other game) should be an auto-deploy.

Attack Multis and Multi are sort of silly. Unless you are an idiot and more troops into Multis, its sort of a non-territory, and could just make for increased deadbeating. What happens when someone is killed everywhere but at Multis? Since they have to deploy 3 each turn, no one else would want to waste troops killing them. But since they can't attack anywhere, they can't do anything, except build up an army that eventually needs to be taken done roll by roll. Seems sort of pointless to me.

And before we argue "San Fransisco has Alcatraz!!!" I think they are used very differently. Alcatraz has three entrances, making it more accessible, and is part of a bonus system, providing incentive to go out there.

I think it would be really cool if a set of three territories were called "classic" "Shapes" and "art"
Private SuicidalSnowman

Postby barterer2002 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:20 am

OK, in the legend you refer to advertising but on the board its called referrals. Needs to be consistent.

I don't like that the Admin/Mod terts are worth +4. There are just 3 terts there (assuming that the -1 is also included) and should be lesser. I really don't think that any of them should be +4 because they're all smallish with easy to hold borders. You're setting it up for stalemates. I'm not sure why nobody can attack the multis except the attack multis.

Anyway, the problem with a board like this one is that its far to linear IMO. I know you've got things like cards, dice and RRs that attack across but while I like Monopoly itself, I'm not sure that it translates well into a CC map.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:08 am

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby number five on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:27 pm

dude make it u totally shud like if i were u id just put it up as bete all redy
Corporal number five

Conqueropoly V6.2 [Transport Poll][D][Pg.8]

Postby TheSaxlad on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:00 pm

show: Previous Versions

V6.2
Click image to enlarge.

V6.2
-Changed cars to monopoly trains.

To Do (Now): Change Legend To Trains

To Do (Later):

Fix/Change Names (Graphics Workshop)
Update House Graphics (Graphics Workshop)

Gameplay Breakdown (Subject To Change)

- Conquest Style Map
- 8 Colours, one House in each Colour is a starting postition the rest are neutrals. (Major Flaw Spotted! Bonuses are different amounts of troops, so would be easier for the drop on a more troop bonus?)
-Can Attack any way around the Board (Although people have a stated a more monopoly like attack upto 12 around the board. Is this possible?)
- Bonuses for Horseshoes and Moodys includes ALL Moody and Horseshoe spaces. The card decks work like a one way attack similar to Alcatraz in SanFran.
-To gain a bonus you have to hold all colours and all houses.

Starting Positions
-Profile House
-Start Game House
-Student House
-Busted House
-Live Chat House
-Suggz and Buggz House
-Clans House
-Mods House

Also Toying with the idea of putting troops on the trains and the lucky Horsehoes.

N.B The Other type of Gameplay available for this map is if I were to enlarge the table around it and put pieces on the table that attacked the conquerstar (similar to baseball, kod) and then they could attack up to 12 squares around the board. When this gets out of the bin, ill stick a poll up.
Here it is again, please comment and put this map through the foundry, thanks.

TheSaxlad/Gilligan
Last edited by TheSaxlad on Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:20 am, edited 25 times in total.
Image Caution: playing team games with TheSaxlad can lead to shortness of breath, high blood pressure and other-stress related illnesses!

Visit CC on Facebook and Twitter!
Corporal TheSaxlad

Postby TheSaxlad on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:16 pm

Image Caution: playing team games with TheSaxlad can lead to shortness of breath, high blood pressure and other-stress related illnesses!

Corporal TheSaxlad

Re: Conqueropoly Returns (And this time it's staying for goo

Postby Leehar on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:16 pm

nice premise
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby army of nobunaga on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:23 pm

"Free Army" for the win baby!
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:11 pm

That territ's referring to me
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:14 pm

I think it would be more interesting if you made them 1-way attacks clockwise, like in the real game that isn't in anyway related to this map due to copyright issues.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:37 pm

Hey, neat-o idea! Some suggestions:

1. You're going to have to have a lot of starting neutrals to avoid people dropping bonuses. Will that be a problem?
2. Not crazy about the symbols used for the Luck Deck and the Online Community (the orange power button and the horseshoes). I'd suggest dice for the Luck Deck symbol (for obvious reasons) and either the CC logo or a smiley (maybe MrMoody's smiley) for the Online Community.
3. Instead of "Attack Multis" and "Multis" maybe have something like "Multi Hunters" and "Forum Ban" or something similar.
4. What does the star space do?
5. You think you could give the battleships names instead of numbers?
6. The Luck Deck and the Online Community "decks" in the middle should have their respective symbols on them.
7. For the "property" names. you could name them after the different forums and teams (g.e. "Cartographers" and "Suggestions") I see you've already done that a little.
8. Isn't Multis a bad thing (like the "jail" of M*nopoly)? Why do you get a bonus? Oo, maybe try something like -1 troop per turn for holding just Multis (or "Forum Ban" or whatever you decide to make it) and +3 for holding both Multis and Attack Multis, like you have.
9. For the Luck Deck and Online Community bonuses - Are they awarded for holding all three territories on the decks in the center of the board or do you have to have the spaces on the board "track" or what? It's not really clear as to what you need to have to acquire those bonuses.
10. For the "Horseshoes and Power Button..." thing in the legend, the word should be "respectively", not "consecutively".
11. More of a nitpick - the blue used for the three blue territories at the bottom should be a much lighter blue.
12. The horseshoe space at the bottom should be switched with the deadbeat space at the bottom.

That's all for now ;) I think this'll be a great map!

Cheers,
Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:15 am

Agree with AoG about the one way attacking around the board. I don't think it should have to be made obvious, as most people would get the premise, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby sonicsteve on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:42 am

Wonderful - my other favourite board game.

Can I throw some stuff into the ideas pot, here?

How about making the bonuses 1 for the brown and light blue sets, 2 for pink and orange, 3 for red and yellow and 4 for green and purple/dark blue.

This would more closely resemble the property values on the board game and lead to some very interesting strategies - i.e. a very hotly contested bonus on the high value properties.

If you do go for a one way around the board attack style, then in keeping with the board game every region should be able to attack up to 12 regions in front of it. Would be mayhem of course...
Major sonicsteve

Location: within walking distance of the sea, waiting for global warming so I can jump in.

Postby TheSaxlad on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:28 am

Ok Guys I'm going to attempt to answer your questions:

Army of GOD wrote:I think it would be more interesting if you made them 1-way attacks clockwise, like in the real game that isn't in anyway related to this map due to copyright issues.

And for all those who suggested this, I see why but it would end up like circus maximus except with one lane, the amount of stalemates would be amazing and I wish to avoid that.

Victor Sullivan wrote:Hey, neat-o idea! Some suggestions:

1. You're going to have to have a lot of starting neutrals to avoid people dropping bonuses. Will that be a problem?

I don't think so because when people drop bonuses on other maps they can get it back. The only bonuses that can be dropped with no chance of breaking are the rh corner bonuses and there worth only ones.

Victor Sullivan wrote:2. Not crazy about the symbols used for the Luck Deck and the Online Community (the orange power button and the horseshoes). I'd suggest dice for the Luck Deck symbol (for obvious reasons) and either the CC logo or a smiley (maybe MrMoody's smiley) for the Online Community.

I'm open to suggestions on this, I like the moody idea, that would be good, but im not sure about dice for luck, I wanted to stay away from dice because as you can see on the previous conqueropoly mapI don't think it worked.

Victor Sullivan wrote:4. What does the star space do?

starts neutral and gives you plus 2 like the free army, except the free army gives you 1.

Victor Sullivan wrote:5. You think you could give the battleships names instead of numbers?

I can't see how to fit the writing in without going outside the space. any suggs please say.

Victor Sullivan wrote:9. For the Luck Deck and Online Community bonuses - Are they awarded for holding all three territories on the decks in the center of the board or do you have to have the spaces on the board "track" or what? It's not really clear as to what you need to have to acquire those bonuses.

You have to get all signs and all three card spaces. i think that the bonuses should go up...

Victor Sullivan wrote:12. The horseshoe space at the bottom should be switched with the deadbeat space at the bottom.

I would, however that would make it too much like that dreaded board game of which noone will speak of in this thread.

Victor Sullivan wrote:That's all for now ;) I think this'll be a great map!

After all that im glad you think so... :shock:

sonicsteve wrote:How about making the bonuses 1 for the brown and light blue sets, 2 for pink and orange, 3 for red and yellow and 4 for green and purple/dark blue.

I would but this would mean that taking two territories would give you 4 extra armies, and if you were to get the bonus from the start the game would be over.

sonicsteve wrote:If you do go for a one way around the board attack style, then in keeping with the board game every region should be able to attack up to 12 regions in front of it. Would be mayhem of course...

Again and thats another reason why im not planning to do it, however if anyone can find a way for it to work im open.

Corporal TheSaxlad

Postby TheSaxlad on Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:04 am

New edit up.

Corporal TheSaxlad

Postby sonicsteve on Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:58 am

Expect a lot of constructive criticism from me on this, cos I love the idea.

Couple of things on the rules:

1. the word consecutively, should actually be respectively I think. OR, something more like "Horseshoes & Power Buttons one-way attack their own cards; Each card space is a dead-end. Hold all group symbols for bonus", and back that up by putting the symbols on the cards.

2. the autodeploys could be more clearly shown in the rules by having the free army symbol just saying +1 autodeploy in the text next to it and the cc symbol with a +2 autodeploy.

Also,

3. Should the attack-multis square have an army circle on it?

and

4. If you do want to use battleship names, just get rid of the 'battleship x' and replace with relatively short names of battle ships. 'HMS Victory' or 'HMS Valiant' should easily fit in, 'USS Arizona', 'USS Iowa' or 'USS Maine' would be no problem and 'Potemkin' could be a contender. The battleship graphic could be a lot better, but I guess that comes later.
Major sonicsteve

Location: within walking distance of the sea, waiting for global warming so I can jump in.

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas