Conquer Club

A Bonus Per Territory?

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Would you like if I made a map where every territory is a bonus of one?

Total votes : 0

A Bonus Per Territory?

Postby Hoff on Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:18 pm

Would anyone be interested if I made a map where you would get a bonus of 1 for every territory you hold. Kinda like how, in montreal, you get a bonus for holding downtown, but it would be for every territory. This would be in addition to regular bonuses for continents and what not.

I think it would be a unique quality for a map that could add to the ever growing assortment of CC maps.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:19 pm

depends what map it is. what location are you planning on?
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:21 pm

Hm, I'm not sure about a bonus for every territory..but what about something that would give you enough of a benefit of keeping your territories? What about 1/2 bonus per territory, or 1/4 bonus per territory?

Or perhaps a formula...that as you increase to more and more territories, the bonus rises higher (than the standard bonus). Somewhat similar to the radiation zones in the USApoc map...starts out bad and small, but breaks even eventually, and then drastic jump when you get nearly all.

--Andy
Last edited by AndyDufresne on Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Hoff on Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:23 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:depends what map it is. what location are you planning on?

What do you mean? I would be making a completely new map...
Sergeant Hoff

Postby Hoff on Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:57 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Hm, I'm not sure about a bonus for every territory..but what about something that would give you enough of a benefit of keeping your territories? What about 1/2 bonus per territory, or 1/4 bonus per territory?

Or perhaps a formula...that as you increase to more and more territories, the bonus rises higher (than the standard bonus). Somewhat similar to the radiation zones in the USApoc map...starts out bad and small, but breaks even eventually, and then drastic jump when you get nearly all.

--Andy

I don't want to make it like the USApoc map, i'm not a huge fan of that anyway, and if i made something like that it wouldnt be originial.

The idea of 1/2 bonus for every territory isnt bad, it would still give you a greater bonus for territories. But I dont see the problem in having it be a full 1 point bonus for every territory. It would be similar to a regular game, but everyone will be getting more armies per turn. And it could add a new strategy by trying limit your oppentents territories, or growing in territories yourself.

So I guess i'm asking, why do you think a full 1 point bonus will be too much, andy?

And, haha, i dont really understand what you are saying in your post. sorry. Are you saying that we already to get bonuses for having territories? If thats what you are saying, yes i know. what i'm suggesting for a new map is to increase the importance of holding territories by give it a great bonus.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:02 pm

A 1 bonus for each seems like it might just be a little too powerful. 1/2 seems about right to me, but perhaps I'll think about it more.

And are you planning to have bonus continents as well, or just a country free for all? (both sound interesting)

--Andy

Postby sully800 on Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:03 pm

A 1 point bonus per territory simply would not be fair. It gives a huge advantage to whoever goes first. They get an enormous amount of armies to attack with on their first turn and take out as many of the opponents' coutnries as possible. Consequently the opponents don't get as high of a bonus and can't retaliate effectively which means to original first player would be even stronger on the second turn.

It just wouldn't work in my opinion.
Major sully800

Postby Herakilla on Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:21 pm

i agree with sully, i was gonna say that up till i read his post and hes right, first player gets a huge advantage that just doesnt seem fair. if you lowered to 1/3 it would be much more viable and i would certainly play it
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby Hoff on Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:08 pm

yeah that makes. I don't feel that 1/3 of a bonus would be enough to cause much difference in game play, what does everyone think about 1/2 bonus per territory?

And Andy, I was thinking That i would have regular continent bonuses, but a free for all with this system would be interesting. I'll let the forummers here decide what i'll do.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:33 pm

Well the idea of a 'no continent' map is interesting...and some one would the 'amap'...sort of similar to Circus Maximus, without the hindrance of one way only and the added bonus of more armies tossed in.

I don't know if the idea really could work, but it is an idea to ponder about more.

--Andy

Postby Marvaddin on Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:37 pm

I was always thinking about getting armies at half of your territories, instead of 1/3. We play half here in Brazil, since defense rolls 3 dice. And I thought about this +1/2 for each territory many times (1 for each 2 territories, in fact). But, I think it should be a game option, like cards or fortifications. Like, "spread power": 1/3, 1/2 (faster games), or maybe even 1/4 (you could choose this for bigger maps). Anyway, +1 per territory is tooooo much, it wouldnt work, I think. And if +1/2 bonus, well, is it possible? We still can have continents... I usually dislike these no continents thing...
Major Marvaddin

Postby Hoff on Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:47 pm

I'll give this thread a day or two more to sizzle. Than if we think that 1/2 bonus might work i'll make a new poll about that. But if everyone decides its a bad idea all together thats fine too. I just want to make a map that has some sort of unique element. I'm just throwing out ideas for debate...
Sergeant Hoff

Postby RexRegis on Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:15 am

I agree that this would be fun, but as said before, the first person would own the game every time...
so something else...

1/2 per country could work...
but same thing there the first player would get a pretty good bonus and could start taking lands...

what about a map with 2 country continents?
that way it is random IF you get the bonus first turn and you have to fight for specific countries and not just random.
I could say something interesting, but I wont
Sergeant RexRegis

Postby SkyCaptain on Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:14 pm

To make it fair for the other people who don't go first, you could set a minimum that's higher than the 3 it is now. That way the others have a chance to retaliate, even if you got a bonus for each territory.
Captain SkyCaptain

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas