Conquer Club

Darts

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Darts >> GAMEPLAY DISCUSSION

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:13 pm

Here for the review,
love darts, love the concept.
I have not yet read the entire thread, but has anyone suggested using darts instead of the stars. I believe that it would look better, and be more interesting. ;)
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby MichelSableheart on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:52 am

The current version is a bit outdated, IMO. I'm not sure if the outshots are being continued, and I believe that it has been accepted that the +4 for a wedge currently in the legend should be toned down. Personally, I believe it would be a good idea if there was another update posted. A number of good suggestions have been posted recently. It would be good to see which of those the mapmaker wants to implement.
Brigadier MichelSableheart

Postby Dexsting on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:15 pm

So I've had an brilliant idea for conquer club darts gameplay; well, I think its brilliant, feel free to squash it if you don't like it :P

Have darts on the side of the board that are territories, Dart1, dart2, dart3 (more if necessary) and have each dart able to attack any space on the dartboard, and every space on the dartboard able to attack the darts, but the darts cannot attack each other and the spaces on the dart board cannot attack each other. This would have the feel of "darts" attacking the board perfectly I think.

The darts would also reset to 1 neutral so a person couldn't just block a huge army on the darts to hold it. I don't know if you can reset to zero at the end of a person's turn, but even if you have to wait for their next turn start; if they're leaving a bunch of armies on the dart they're going to lose them when it resets to zero.

A side thought is you could also have specific darts able to attack only specific parts of the board and maybe add a thrower, and the darts can attack thrower to get to the other darts that could attack the other parts of the board, but I'm not sure if that would fit/work/balance/etc...

Another thing I would think maybe have all the doubles and triples and bullseye start out neutral (at varying amounts), but have each of those give a bonus...doubles give +1, triples +2, bullseye +3, or whatever numbers balance out best and not have any "continents" at all.

What'cha think? Just an idea that popped into my head today.
Sergeant 1st Class Dexsting

Postby lt_oddball on Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:14 pm

Dexsting wrote:What'cha think? Just an idea that popped into my head today.

naaah [-(
Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intellegor ulli.
Major lt_oddball

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:15 pm

lt_oddball wrote:
Dexsting wrote:What'cha think? Just an idea that popped into my head today.

naaah [-(
HA, HA, Keefers' dad, Kellys heroes, One of my favorite movies. What an awesome all-star cast. I loved that Burning Bridges song. Just downloaded the tabs for it. :D
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby Silent Killer on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:54 pm

An update is in the offing for this weekend guys...

SK
Corporal 1st Class Silent Killer

Postby darkangelsguy205 on Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:00 pm

this is cool
Sergeant darkangelsguy205

Postby pikkio on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:42 pm

i didn't have time to read the post, so excuse me if i will say something that you have discussed yet.

i like the idea and the gameplay seems interesting and balanced. i want to suggest only some tweaks:

- Delete the psychedelic-cube border of the map! i really hate how it looks, expecially if it covers the darts board..
- try to make a title more well insert in the background and with more appeal with the rest of the map. maybe you can try to change the legend at the same, making it like a board on the wall..
- i don't see the army circles.. without them, i think that probably it will be difficult to read some colours of number on some colours of territory..
Sergeant 1st Class pikkio

Postby captainwalrus on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:08 pm

Right now the white and black beds sort of just look like marble from a chess board, which obviously wouldn't work for darts. Try to make it a little more felt like.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby Dexsting on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:26 pm

So my idea is a bust?
Sergeant 1st Class Dexsting

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:37 am

it's been a while without an update... :(
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:19 pm

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;)

Postby Silent Killer on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:09 am

Right - I've recently come back to CC and want to continue this map.

I've created an update on page 1 on the graphics and gameplay, all incorporated on the new map for you guys to discuss.

Postby natty dread on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:10 am

Uh... darts?

You obviously have graphical talent, why not use it for something a bit more interesting...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby DiM on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:31 pm

what he said. the graphics are nice but the map isn't appealing at all. symmetry is bad.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:44 pm

I agree with the two above, however if you want to make a darts map, maybe do it something like the archery map to make it less symmetric.

Something like each player get 3 autodeployed on him and he can assault any part of the board, (maybe have more than one territory per section of the board) and different areas start with different amounts of neutrals and are worth different amounts. For example triple 20 could start with 10 neutrals but be worth 5 a go to hold, however single 1 only has 1 neutral and is only worth 1.
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby MrBenn on Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:01 pm

Silent Killer wrote:Right - I've recently come back to CC and want to continue this map.

I've created an update on page 1 on the graphics and gameplay, all incorporated on the new map for you guys to discuss.

Ignore natty, DiM and Telvannia... I was disappointed that this map stopped development a couple of years ago...

All you need is to firm up what you wanted to do gameplay-wise. I have no concerns about your ability to polish off the graphics once that's in the bag ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby zimmah on Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:14 pm

how about this:

make all the territories with a number higher then 10 start neutral

make a bonus system using the numbers of the dart game board (so treble 20 giving 60 armies etc.)

just make sure you balance it out so that a player with a lucky rop doesn't instantly wn the game and/or the first player to take his turn can eliminate all other players in his frst turn.

would be epic gameplay.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby natty dread on Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:28 pm

zimmah wrote:make a bonus system using the numbers of the dart game board (so treble 20 giving 60 armies etc.)

Yeah... how's that going to work? I got a load of complaints on the Korea map when taking a single territory can give a bonus of 10 or so... I can only imagine the uproar that would ensue with a bonus scheme that gives you +60 for a single territory...

Also, what was said about symmetry, I also agree with. Symmetry makes for boring gameplay. The openness of the map is also a concern. At the very least the map would need some impassables, but I'm not sure how that could be done so that it would fit the theme...

And I still wish the mapmaker would utilize his obvious graphical talent for something more interesting. There's loads of unexplored, interesting subjects still unmapped, the recycling bin is even full of abandoned projects that could be picked up... Darts just doesn't strike me as a game that would lend itself well for CC gameplay.

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm

welcome back! :)

[Moved]

Postby Silent Killer on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:26 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:welcome back! :)

[Moved]

Thank you very much!!

------

Now about the symmetry thing - well theres nothing I can do about a dartboard being symmetrical but theres an opportunity to
explore gameplay that we haven't seen yet - not from a unique coding point of view, just something a little more clever!

So what we have to play with are several different coloured beds, red, green, black and white.
And also the fact there are single, double and treble beds.

If we can come up with attack routes that must follow a certain path (red can only attack green, black can only attack white)
until you conquer the outer bull, then it opens up the whole board to attack.
We need to think outside of the box on this one.

I'm definitely gonna need some help on the gameplay front to make this work.
- And yes, we will make this work!! :)

I will, once I get this map done, venture into the world of conventional map-making.
Well, conventional-ish!!

Postby DiM on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:43 pm

well, at least you seem determined which is a good thing.
in my opinion even with "red can only attack green, black can only attack white" you still have a perfectly simmetrical map that will lead to stalemates and bland gameplay.
look at chinese checkers and how few people play that map. and that map has a better gameplay because it has the corners that are somewhat easy to take and hold and use as a base for launching attacks. the dart board doesn't even have those borders. it's just an open free for all massacre place with no easy to get and hold continents with nothing to make strategy important.
you could develop an interesting gameplay like holding 301/501 points to win or holding certain combinations to get bonuses but ultimately the map will still be very open and very symmetrical. the openness of the map could be somewhat cancelled by inserting special attack rules (like allowing only one way attacks from the outer rim to the center and then allowing the bull to attack back to the outer rim, or what you suggested that red can only attack green, black can only attack white. but you'll still be symmetrical.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby zimmah on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:44 pm

natty_dread wrote:
zimmah wrote:make a bonus system using the numbers of the dart game board (so treble 20 giving 60 armies etc.)

Yeah... how's that going to work? I got a load of complaints on the Korea map when taking a single territory can give a bonus of 10 or so... I can only imagine the uproar that would ensue with a bonus scheme that gives you +60 for a single territory...

Also, what was said about symmetry, I also agree with. Symmetry makes for boring gameplay. The openness of the map is also a concern. At the very least the map would need some impassables, but I'm not sure how that could be done so that it would fit the theme...

And I still wish the mapmaker would utilize his obvious graphical talent for something more interesting. There's loads of unexplored, interesting subjects still unmapped, the recycling bin is even full of abandoned projects that could be picked up... Darts just doesn't strike me as a game that would lend itself well for CC gameplay.

putting a huge amount of neutrals on fields like triple 20 will both make the map less open and will eliminate the chances of early huge bonuses.
maybe also have like pokerclub where only your 3 best regions count towards your bonus.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby natty dread on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:48 pm

zimmah wrote:putting a huge amount of neutrals on fields like triple 20 will

...make sure they'll be ignored in every game.

Postby Silent Killer on Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:53 pm

DiM wrote:well, at least you seem determined which is a good thing.
in my opinion even with "red can only attack green, black can only attack white" you still have a perfectly simmetrical map that will lead to stalemates and bland gameplay.
look at chinese checkers and how few people play that map. and that map has a better gameplay because it has the corners that are somewhat easy to take and hold and use as a base for launching attacks. the dart board doesn't even have those borders. it's just an open free for all massacre place with no easy to get and hold continents with nothing to make strategy important.
you could develop an interesting gameplay like holding 301/501 points to win or holding certain combinations to get bonuses but ultimately the map will still be very open and very symmetrical. the openness of the map could be somewhat cancelled by inserting special attack rules (like allowing only one way attacks from the outer rim to the center and then allowing the bull to attack back to the outer rim, or what you suggested that red can only attack green, black can only attack white. but you'll still be symmetrical.

Yeah, symmetry is a problem - I understand this.

When I got this map going once before, I mentioned a bonus system of "Out-shots".

Basically they were a three terit bonus system that meant if you held them together you'd get a bigger bonus than say, holding a couple of continents.
It may also be possible to have these terits only attack-able from the outer bull - therefor creating a somewhat less open map.

I would propose 3 such bonuses to be incorporated into the board - which would mean there would be 9 terits that could only be attacked from the outer-bull.
And as discussed previously here, and in an earlier dart-board map, diagonal movement would be a no-no.
Meaning there would now be terits on the map beside the "out-shot" bonus terits that one could deem strategical positions.

The attack routes would then be as follows:
Singles can only attack the double and treble in its own number, and the Outer-Bull
Doubles can only attack the single directly below and doubles left and right of it.
Trebles can attack each space, up down, left or right.
Outer Bull can only attack the single directly above it, AND bombard the "Out-Shot" beds.
The bull can only be captured but cannot attack

I'll try to explain in the image below...

Click image to enlarge.

I've placed 3 sets of coloured darts into beds that tally an "Out-shot".
These can become impassables and only attacked, or rather bombarded by the Outer-Bull.

With symmetry outta the way, we can proceed further with gameplay.
Ignore the symbols used in the map - I quickly threw them on for visual purposes only.

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas