Conquer Club

[31-Aug-2007] Speed games

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

great job

Postby Shai on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:12 am

All the new features were worth the wait!
great job lack!
Why Search?
http://WWW.allmyfaves.com

Gooooooo Wizards!
Lieutenant Shai

Postby honestjohn on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:49 am

Just wanted to add my thanks and congrats to Lack.. this is truly an amazing site... =D> =D>
Quote to my grandson, "if the game isn't fun, we put it away"
"Aspire to inspire before you expire."

"And he went forth conquering and to conquer". Rev. 6:2

xi members are tops
Cook honestjohn

Postby Jay-Rod on Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:21 am

did you change the dice generator? my rolls have been royally awful!! only today and yesterday tho...
Private 1st Class Jay-Rod

Speed game 5 minutes

Postby ken0113 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:02 am

I love the speed game! I absolutely love it. BUT...
There is a but. I ran out of time during longer moves (its truly impossible to do some moves within 5 minutes).
I SUGGEST: If you don't use the whole 5 minutes time, it should be credited towards your next move, and so forth, so I may have 15 minutes possibly available for my 9 move, etc.
THAT would be GREAT... thanks. :)
Corporal 1st Class ken0113

Hooray!

Postby Heinyken on Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:11 am

A job very, very well done! I'm impressed and pleased with all the additions and new bits and pieces! Great job!
-T.R. Hein o'Ken-
-Heinyken-
Sergeant 1st Class Heinyken

Postby Snowpepsi on Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:08 pm

BrutalBob wrote:Absolutely Brilliant idea with the speed games.

Always annoying when you play a two player game and someone takes a few turns and disappears.

Might have to think about breaking with my personal philosophy of being a tight a.. and get one of them membership thingies.

The membership thingies are great. I can't imagine only being able to play 4 games at a time. Well, unless one was a speed game.
Captain Snowpepsi

Postby Keebs2674 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:30 pm

Well done with the update! I particularly like the new Ajax refresh program, it works well for me. Time will tell whether the anti-deabeat measures will work, but good start.
Captain Keebs2674

woot! go lack!

Postby 3mp3r0r on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:04 pm

the new features are some of the best yet (my fav new feature is still the assassin games :D but these come close) so i have to say it....
ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)ALL HAIL LACK!!8)8):lol::twisted::D :wink:
Private 1st Class 3mp3r0r

Postby MarVal on Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:02 pm

Congratz,

Another great update(s)!!!!

I love the game, the site and all the others on CC.
Because you listen what players like and dislike.
And you do something with it, thats great.

GREAT GREAT CC and hid mods!!!

three times Hoera (thats dutch)

Grtz
MarVal
Image highest score: 2157 (Major) / Verd ori'shya beskar'gam
ImageImage
Corporal MarVal

top marks

Postby tutenkamu on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:01 pm

Really good enhancements again, well done!
Corporal tutenkamu

Postby barterer2002 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:53 pm

Having had the opportunity to play some of the speed games I must say I enjoy them. They are obviously quite different than the regular game-kind of like speed chess vs. regular chess.

I have a question on the complaints. Admittedly I haven't been an active member of the CC boards and tend to peruse them only occassionally but I have read through this one and what I keep hearing is that people wanted shorter time limits than the 24 hours but that 5 minutes doesn't work. I'm not sure why that is. I understand that you can't do as much in 5 minutes as you might otherwise do and it changes the strategy but the same could be said for 15 or 20 minutes. I've watched players take most of their full hours and have taken 30 minutes or more in some of the larger maps myself. It can get more intricate and it may be that certain maps, such as 2.1 don't lend themselves to the speed format, however, it could also be argued that not all maps need to be perfect for each situation. I tend to find some of them (such as BeNeLux and the new Doodle map) to be a bit small for a 6 player game but it can be done and 2.1 in speed can be done as well. In the end its all risk whether it be classic, escalating, adjacent, untimed or Space, freestyle, flat rate, unlimited, speed. Your strategies may change a little but the basic game is itself. I'm sure we all have formats that we prefer, personally I like any map that I can play a flat rate, unlimited, standard game on but I understand that others prefer no cards or terminator or something else and I do play them to keep my hand in it but not as often. The same can be said of the new speed formats, it's just one more good variation on Risk.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby vbomber22 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:58 pm

lack, could you make speed games open for non premiums soon? :)
Private vbomber22

Postby She Wolf on Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:33 am

nice job. thank you.
Cook She Wolf

Postby Malkithe on Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:39 am

vbomber22 wrote:lack, could you make speed games open for non premiums soon? :)

Bad monkey!

*pulls the newly dead horse from his grasp*
50 DKP-MINUS!
Cook Malkithe

Postby TheTeacher on Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:26 am

Hi... um... i'll go ahead and say it: I'm a newb. I'm new here... and this is actually my first post. I would like to say that, from my experience, your "counter-deadbeating measures" didn't work. I nearly deadbeated (took me a little while to figure out what that word meant around here) after the first round of my first game, but the thing is... I didn't even notice that there was an "Inbox" thing on the right-side menu at all until I read this thread, realised that I joined Conquer Club after these new updates, and looked for those messages. If newbs are dumb and/or overwhelmed by confused by the layout and inface enough not to see the "instructions" button up at the top of the pages, I don't see why these PM messages are going to help... Newbs won't notice the "Inbox" button and will never see the PMs. I would advise doing something along the lines of sending newbs emails with the messages you're currently sending instead of sending them in PMs.

Well... great website... I think it's awsome... :)
Captain TheTeacher

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:32 am

The messages are just one of many measures we plan to employ.

Unfortunately CC can't be responsible for every deadbeat...we are doing our best to get people to come back. But those who just jump right into things without: A. Reading the Instructions, B. Reading the FAQ, C. Checking out the Forum, and D. General looking over the Site... will most always deadbeat because of their laziness, confusion, etc.

As I said, we will continue to do our best to manage the problem. Everything we employ is at least a step in the right direction...you must always keep that in mind.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby gimil on Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:39 am

TheTeacher wrote: I would advise doing something along the lines of sending newbs emails with the messages you're currently sending instead of sending them in PMs.

currently theres default setting that send you an email for every private message you get. :wink:
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Rocketry on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:44 pm

Doubt you will read this, but i wanna say thanks for the speed games lack they're good!

Rocketry
Last edited by Rocketry on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant Rocketry

Brilliant

Postby MrMcMoo on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:44 pm

Brilliant Lack - the new features are exactly what the game needed!!
All we need now is for greasemonkey to be written to comply with the new features - is that gonna be done?

Cheers
McMoo
Cadet MrMcMoo

Postby TheTeacher on Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:47 pm

gimil wrote:
TheTeacher wrote: I would advise doing something along the lines of sending newbs emails with the messages you're currently sending instead of sending them in PMs.

currently theres default setting that send you an email for every private message you get. :wink:

no there isn't... or at least I don't see it.
Captain TheTeacher

Join A Game

Postby dannyWEST on Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:27 pm

Is there any indication on the "Join A Game" link as to whether the game is set to a 5 minute or 24 hour clock?
Sergeant dannyWEST

Re: Join A Game

Postby dannyWEST on Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:29 pm

dannyWEST wrote:Is there any indication on the "Join A Game" link as to whether the game is set to a 5 minute or 24 hour clock?

I'm an idiot :oops: , found it.
Sergeant dannyWEST

Behaving strangely on Mac?

Postby wick47 on Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:58 pm

Since the update, CC has been behaving very sluggishly. Mostly, I have noticed that during attacks I get long pauses while it reloads. This never happened before so I am wondering if you've recoded something in a way that the Mac doesn't like. Anybody else reporting this kind of thing? I'm running Safari 2.02 on a g5 iMac & OS X 10.4.

Anyhow, just wanted to bring it to your attention. Thanks for all you do!
Private wick47

Postby TheTeacher on Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:00 pm

I have had similar problems, and I'm using a Dell laptop with Windows XP.

Ever since that AJAX stuff happened, sometimes when i push a button, the page freezes and I just close it and reopen it. I'm the sort of person who's to inpatient for to just wait for things to load when they're slow
Captain TheTeacher

Postby Jones888 on Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:18 am

I have not had any problems since the update.

However, there is some cheap ways to win in speed games. I just found this out, due to the fact that I did it to a player to win (accidently, at first). This applies to freestyle speed games. Rounds are 5 min, so if you end your turn first to have your opponent play last in that round. Then before you start your next turn delay starting until about 1 min or 1.5 min remaining. Quickly finish your turn and when you opponent starts his turn he will have like 30 sec or less to complete his/her turn. If they dont realize that they will run out of time and wont get a card!

Personally I dont like players who take the "cheap" route to win, so I wanted to point this out. I dont know how you can change the game rules to avoid such a thing, though. Just be careful of players starting to do this on freestyle speed games.
Sergeant 1st Class Jones888

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives