Conquer Club

Game Statistics

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Game Statistics

Postby denominator on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:35 pm

Everyone against this new update is really starting to irk me.

First of all, counting territories does not equal strategy. Anyone can sit at the computer and count territories all day long and it still does not make you a better player than somebody that just goes without bothering to count. It gives you a slight advantage in playing the region bonus against other players (ex 12 vs 13 territories). But counting =/= strategy.

Secondly, the game log has counted territories all along. It shows you exactly how many territories your opponent had at the beginning of their turn, and you can simply count the lines that they conquered territories. So you actually don't have to count the territories on the map ever.

Thirdly, the same information has been there for fog games all along. The game log has always shown the number of territories that a player has, and how many troops they got for a bonus. I find it astounding that people have been playing without this knowledge.

Fourthly, BOB has been there for a long time as well. While I do realize that not everybody has BOB, and not everybody can get BOB, or know about BOB, it is there, and it is simply a tool, not an entire strategy. BOB just keeps track of everything at a glance for you so you can play more games at once. Sure, when I play RISK with my friends I don't have BOB, but I'm also sitting at a table with them watching every move closely for hours on end. On CC, I'm playing upwards of 40 games at once and BOB simply allows me to do that. I choose to play the game this way, whereas others play one or two games at a time watching everything closely. Regardless, there is no advantage to either player with or without BOB - BOB is simply doing the work for me that the other player is choosing to do for himself.

Finally, to those who would like a disable button, it's called ignoring it. BOB does all the same functions, and with the latest update it works perfectly with the stats bar. So just ignore the stats bar. To those who liked the old way, the spoils are now in the left column and are easily accessible and you can simply ignore the rest of the stats. If you choose to continue playing without any of these aids, be my guest. But there is no reason you need to disable this, or even have an option to.
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

Postby dcowboys055 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:47 pm

I love the live clock.
Captain dcowboys055

Postby turtleboy on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:48 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
=D> Good update =D> =D> =D> Good points denominator =D>
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Sergeant 1st Class turtleboy

Postby khazalid on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:56 pm

when will you learn to give some forewarning before springing these 'updates'? is it so much to fucking ask?

for the record this one is an ugly, pointless waste of time. but no doubt very easy to implement
had i been wise, i would have seen that her simplicity cost her a fortune
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:06 pm

yeti_c wrote:Good changes Lack...

Not sure what the HooHaa is all about...

If you really don't like it - you could make a GM script that hides the data for you? Would be the matter of 5 minutes I expect.

C.

This is sorely needed if they do not want to make this go away.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Bruceswar on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:09 pm

khazalid wrote:when will you learn to give some forewarning before springing these 'updates'? is it so much to fucking ask?

for the record this one is an ugly, pointless waste of time. but no doubt very easy to implement

Thank you! Well put! You would spare everybody all this pain if you just warned us!
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby R.theghost on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:14 pm

just wanted to add that this doesnt give an advantage to anyone because... it works for all... everyone gets the same benefits so it benefits noone in particular...
Lieutenant R.theghost

Postby nesterdude on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:14 pm

khazalid wrote:when will you learn to give some forewarning before springing these 'updates'? is it so much to fucking ask?

I rarely agree w/ you khaz
but here, well, yes I do.
High: 08 Dec. 08; Pts: 3141 Ranking: 57 Rank: Brig
Lordhaha is my hero too.
Cook nesterdude

Postby AzureX on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:28 pm

denominator wrote:Everyone against this new update is really starting to irk me.

First of all, counting territories does not equal strategy. Anyone can sit at the computer and count territories all day long and it still does not make you a better player than somebody that just goes without bothering to count. It gives you a slight advantage in playing the region bonus against other players (ex 12 vs 13 territories). But counting =/= strategy.

Secondly, the ......
.... there is no reason you need to disable this, or even have an option to.

Ok, point well taken. However, four things/examples:

1) Lazy people will do better now. They should not be rewarded for being lazy.

2) example.... England (BETA), most people don't look for those region bonuses but will notice it before the first turn is taken because the amount of men to be received is clearly displayed. Yeah, i know, u can read the key. But, many people don't read it and make sense of it.

3) strategy is gone when you spoon feed information to people.

4) Do you know how many times people miss that you obtained a bonus in the previous round! Well before the stat bar, it happened fairly frequently. Not now, BOOM, lazy people, look at the STAT bar.

I have a grand idea....
Like I said before, lets go ahead and make another stat bar that tells you the odds that you will win when you roll against the adjacent territory. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Sergeant 1st Class AzureX

Postby AzureX on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:31 pm

To be frank, I am surprised some of you are accepting of the new stat bar.
Last edited by AzureX on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby sherkaner on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:32 pm

AzureX wrote:I have a grand idea....
Like I said before, lets go ahead and make another stat bar that tells you the odds that you will win when you roll against the adjacent territory. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Cool idea, I could make that (but I'll keep it all for myself, why give other ppl that advantage?) ;)
Colonel sherkaner

Postby luv2tri2 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:33 pm

I cant frigging take it. When my premium is up in January I am done. Speed games suck with the new update. No point in having premium anymore.
Captain luv2tri2

Postby drunkmonkey on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:35 pm

I keep reading the same complaint over and over again.

A lot of players are lazy. Now I can't exploit their laziness anymore; I actually have to use strategy.

Do you expect to be taken seriously?
Major drunkmonkey

Postby nesterdude on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:35 pm

OMFG
IT's STILL doing it, and I even updated BoB three times!
Get rid of this thing. My clock just keeps bumping the screen up and down for every action in the damn game.
Lordhaha is my hero too.
Cook nesterdude

Postby AzureX on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:37 pm

luv2tri2 wrote:I cant frigging take it. When my premium is up in January I am done. Speed games suck with the new update. No point in having premium anymore.

I agree! Speed games do SUCK NOW! TURN OFF THE DANG STAT BAR, pleeeeeaaaaasessssssssseeee!

Postby drunkmonkey on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:39 pm

nesterdude wrote:OMFG
IT's STILL doing it, and I even updated BoB three times!
Get rid of this thing. My clock just keeps bumping the screen up and down for every action in the damn game.

Did you completely close and restart your browser?
Major drunkmonkey

Postby nesterdude on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:42 pm

Yessir.
Lordhaha is my hero too.
Cook nesterdude

Postby nesterdude on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:46 pm

Fixed
Still don't like it
Thanks Sherk.
Lordhaha is my hero too.
Cook nesterdude

Postby AzureX on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:48 pm

I know, lets make the new stat bar only for those with Super-Duper Premium Memberships. And, if you donate and extra $10 you get to see the future before you roll, that way you know how many men you will lose or beat. Heck, if you forsee that you are gonna' lose the dice, then you might as well stack 'em. Cool idea. I can't wait for this mod.!

Postby AzureX on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:49 pm

God, i really really hate this stat bar. Speed games are so lame and boring now. I am done playing speed games. Thanks CC for messing up a good game site.

Postby THORNHEART on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:03 pm

Guess who will not be renewing his premi...thanx cc...you finally ran me off
Hello THORNHEART,

You have received a formal disciplinary warning.
THORNHEART has earned himself a 24 hour Forum ban..
1st user that hasn't taken the C&A Report Abuse / Spurious Reports Warning we give seriously.
Corporal THORNHEART

Postby drunkmonkey on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:05 pm

If this update has taught me anything, it's that CC is full of crybabies.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby sully800 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:12 pm

AzureX wrote:God, i really really hate this stat bar. Speed games are so lame and boring now. I am done playing speed games. Thanks CC for messing up a good game site.

What has the stat bar changed? If you didn't have this info before, a lot of your opponents did. If you still don't want to have this info, you can ignore it (your opponents will still have the info, so nothing has changed).

AzureX wrote:I have a grand idea....

That already exists as well.

Of course you can manually calculate any odds by hand. Or if that's too much work you can manually plug the numbers into a computer to get the odds each time. But since you can do both of those, someone will always have the process automated and know the odds without any extra work.

I would like to reiterate denominator's point: Counting and figuring out percentages are not skills and they are not strategies. Those should be pre-reqs that everyone here is capable of doing, so why not make life easier on yourself instead of redoing the calculation every time?

I'm a HUGE proponent of using your brain and not just relying on a computer. BUT for simple tasks that don't tax your brain you are simply wasting time if you don't automate the process. For me, counting and adding and most multiplication fits into this category. I don't feel like I'm smarter or I have better strategy than someone else because I can count.

Analogy: Most of us on this site are quite good at long division. We understand the principles, and when asked we could figure out a calculation by hand. BUT if you have to divide 58419795 by 8945, I bet you aren't going to do that calculation by hand. You will pick up a calculator and find the answer. We all COULD do the math, but it's pointless because the math is simple and just takes longer. So for everyone who wishes to continue wasting time you are free to ignore the stats. But I don't think we should call the ability to count a "skill"
Major sully800

Postby hahaha3hahaha on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:14 pm

niMic wrote:My monitor is big enough that I can see both the stats and the large map, but I still think it looks bad.

Also, the new clock is not an improvement.

how big is your monitor lmao?!?! Mines 23" and I still got scroll tonnes
Cook hahaha3hahaha

Postby nippersean on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:15 pm

nippersean wrote:For team games I can only highlight for team1. Is anyone else having this problem?

Scott-Land wrote:Hmm, can no longer highlight Team 2 to see which territories are occupied. Still works for Team 1 so I'm assuming it's a bug?

the highlighter still doesn't work for team two... :?

Is everyone having this problem?
Is it known / being fixed?

Cheers, Nipper

EDIT - Just got latest update - FIXED - thanks guys
Last edited by nippersean on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brigadier nippersean

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives