Conquer Club

[14-Feb-2006] New dice, a bug fix, time zones and game limit

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

New dice, a bug fix, time zones and game limits

Postby lackattack on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:31 am

The latest batch of changes:

1. A new set of dice
The dice are now powered by random numbers from random.org. I won't go into the complicated details, but there may have been some "stickyness" to the dice that made them repeat themselves. This is just a theory and I'm not even sure if there was a problem. But the new dice are truly random and now I can safely ignore any complaints about them :)

2. Time zone support
Now the Game Log and Game Chat will appear in the time zone you have set in your Profile page.

3. Fixed a major bug
Conquer Club was plagued with something called "race conditions". Basically, when two members do something at the exact same second, the results can get weird. For example, I've seen 7 players in a triples game because the last two joined at the same moment. Or someone deploys at the exact same time that someone else attacked and the deployed armies disappear. Well, this should not happen anymore. A big thanks to everyone who reported strange happenings.

5. Changed the games limit
The good news is that you can now join a new game once you have been eliminated (you used to have to wait until somebody won the game). The bad news is that the limit is reduced to 4 games.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby YP_Legend on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:45 am

Great work lack......it is all very well appreciated. What a creation you have going here. Looking forward to much more!

YP_Legend
xiGames
Proud xiGames Member
_________Image_________
Lieutenant YP_Legend

Postby Twill on Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:02 am

It just keeps going and going :)

Well done Lack
Corporal 1st Class Twill

game limit

Postby Darklord001 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:49 pm

Amazing site Lack (hope you're not tired of hearing that)!

Does the 4 game limit (assuming you are dead in at least one) allow you to start a new game, or just join a new game?

I'm in that situation right now, and I got an error trying to start a new game.

Thanks
Sergeant 1st Class Darklord001

Ditto

Postby JBK on Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:53 pm

Your efforts are greatly apprecited - love the site!!
Private 1st Class JBK

Re: game limit

Postby lackattack on Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:10 pm

Darklord001 wrote:Does the 4 game limit (assuming you are dead in at least one) allow you to start a new game, or just join a new game?
whether you join or start the game, it counts towards your limit.

and i appreciate the feedback :)
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Darklord001 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:14 pm

I am able to join a 4th game (live game - with one where I have been eliminated)

but, if I try and start my own new game, I get an error message saying that I can only be in 4 games.
Sergeant 1st Class Darklord001

Postby Marvaddin on Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:08 pm

Lack, you are doing really great!! Congratulations. :D
Major Marvaddin

Good trade

Postby Dragonslayer on Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:28 pm

Thanks for the updates Lack, the quality started very good and just gets better and better.

4 games is a bummer, but not having to look at a game I've been eliminated from is a good tradeoff.
Private Dragonslayer

Postby RLeary06 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:26 pm

Defense just rolled 5 sixes against me. Real random :P
Private 1st Class RLeary06

Postby RLeary06 on Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:45 pm

Some how 12 times in a row the attack dice rolls were the exact same as the defense.
Private 1st Class RLeary06

Re: New dice, a bug fix, time zones and game limits

Postby apwessen on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:27 am

lackattack wrote:The latest batch of changes:
3. Fixed a major bug
Conquer Club was plagued with something called "race conditions". Basically, when two members do something at the exact same second, the results can get weird. For example, I've seen 7 players in a triples game because the last two joined at the same moment. Or someone deploys at the exact same time that someone else attacked and the deployed armies disappear. Well, this should not happen anymore. A big thanks to everyone who reported strange happenings.

The good news is that you can now join a new game once you have been eliminated (you used to have to wait until somebody won the game). The bad news is that the limit is reduced to 4 games.

Was there a number 4?
Sergeant 1st Class apwessen

Postby lackattack on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:34 am

no, i just can't count :lol:
Sergeant lackattack

Thanks lack!!!

Postby Scarus on Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:44 pm

Of course, we're all grateful for everything you're doing, but most of all I'm grateful that you did, in fact, come back online after being down to do the upgrades. I could not have survived much longer. After just a few hours I had progressed into advanced stages of physical withdrawal. I could not eat, my fingers were twitching, and I was experiencing a creepy, crawly sensation all along my skin surface. My family spread out a couple of gameboards in my room, and continuously played the battle theme from the RiskII cd, but to no avail. I just sat there, continually refreshing the screen, hoping that somehow my "forbidden" status would change.

Oh, thank you great lack!!! I will do whatever you say. Your word is my command. Just please! please! please! don't cut me off again.

Your servant,

Scarus
Been playing Risk for a bit

Proud Member of xiGames, where Friends Kill Friends, with Honor
Sergeant 1st Class Scarus

Postby molestar on Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:53 pm

Agreed. I was also experiencing my own shock and awe when the forbidden notification would nto go away for what seemed like weeks

Go LackAttack Go
Sergeant 1st Class molestar

Postby dagreatbroomhead on Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:38 pm

apwessen wrote:
3. Fixed a major bug

Was there a number 4?

pfft, i thought he was going for the Monty python reference
Sergeant 1st Class dagreatbroomhead

Postby .SCuD. on Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:47 am

Why is there a 4 game limit

I reckon it should be increased to 10 if anything!

Im sat here bored half the day at work, nothing else to do. Most sites are blocked!
Brigadier .SCuD.

Postby Itrade on Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:50 am

.SCuD. wrote:Why is there a 4 game limit

I reckon it should be increased to 10 if anything!

Im sat here bored half the day at work, nothing else to do. Most sites are blocked!

There was a 10 game limit once. Now the server strain is too much.

But Lack better get that premium membership thingamabobber up soon, 'cuz I want more games!
Image My set is a bone coat-of-arms and chandelier! How cool is that?
Sergeant Itrade

Postby craig84 on Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:08 pm

well thank u
Lieutenant craig84

Postby nhulbert on Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:04 am

Yes, I do agree that waiting and frequently checking on games can end up a bit grueling. That's how it is with turn based games, it binds you to them. I think what the internet is still hurting for is a real-time Risk game that can be played and gotten over with. It wouldn't be easy to make I'm sure, but it would attract a heck of a lot of guys. But Lack, I give you your propers for what you've done so far... This site looks great and is a lot of fun, and I especially like the ranking system.
Major nhulbert

Postby aaadamaa on Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:31 pm

dagreatbroomhead wrote:
apwessen wrote:
3. Fixed a major bug

Was there a number 4?

pfft, i thought he was going for the Monty python reference

monty python would be 1,2,5, not 1,2,3,5 in such seens as the holy hand gernade, and the bridge of peril. best movie ever.
Cadet aaadamaa

Postby dagreatbroomhead on Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:59 pm

i stand corrected, my apologies, i will brush up so i am not shamed like this again.
Sergeant 1st Class dagreatbroomhead

Bonus cards

Postby General Patton on Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:49 pm

I have had this problem in a few games recently.
i take my turn, i have 2 red cards, 2 blue cards. I finish my turn and get a green card.
My next turn the computer or game wants me to turn in a set but I have no set to turn in and there is no other option for me to take my turn. I then have to leave a note for all and explain what happened and continue to begin my turn and then let the hour expire so everyone else can play.
Can this be fixed?

Thank you very much for all.
Private General Patton

Re: Bonus cards

Postby AK_iceman on Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:55 pm

General Patton wrote:I have had this problem in a few games recently.
i take my turn, i have 2 red cards, 2 blue cards. I finish my turn and get a green card.
My next turn the computer or game wants me to turn in a set but I have no set to turn in and there is no other option for me to take my turn. I then have to leave a note for all and explain what happened and continue to begin my turn and then let the hour expire so everyone else can play.
Can this be fixed?

Thank you very much for all.

Mixed sets can be turned in also. 1 red, 1 blue, and 1 green is a mixed set.
Its impossible to have 5 cards without having a set, thats why it forces you to turn in.
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman

Postby zarvinny on Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:19 am

dang, i love the dice right now
Lieutenant zarvinny

Next

Return to Announcement Archives