Conquer Club

[16-Jan-2006] Double turns and deadbeats

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Suggestion

Postby AK_iceman on Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:40 am

bloodyfrog3 wrote:
lackattack wrote:
LALALA wrote:How about giving the option at game creation for a different amount of time between turns -- like specifying 15 minutes-->24 hours as an option?

It would still allow people to play the slow games that they want, and allow others to play more often.

Yes, this is something I'm looking into...

If you did this, then a certain host would be able to dominate the game if they are on constantly all day. This would not allow people such as myself that go to work or school during the day and do not have access to a computer with internet, to play or have a fair chance.

This game type would be only for people who have the time to complete a whole game in one sitting. Much like our current RT games.
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman

???????

Postby BeastofBurson on Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:27 pm

You did not play your previous turn, but you will get your armies multiplied for missed rounds.

This is whats a problem...I'm playing in a game with a captain...hes missed 3 or 4 turns out of 11 rounds..he gets double armies twice when he does play

why are you rewarding the deadbeats with extra armies?..seems like an unfair advantage to the people responsible enough to take thier turns like they are supposed to.

Why not take an army from each territory they own...maybe they;ll think twice and make it to play when they see thier troops dwindling down....

Being rewarded seems to egg thier absence on so they DO get more armies then say just 3

BeastofBurson
Cadet BeastofBurson

Surrender?

Postby Iainarm on Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:30 pm

How do we surrender from games?(Not that I'd want to!!!!)
Cook Iainarm

Postby dragonfly on Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:40 pm

Yeh can't!
0_o;
Corporal 1st Class dragonfly

Postby s.xkitten on Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:43 pm

the surrender button was taken away because it was abused...
Sergeant s.xkitten

Re: ???????

Postby Burrito Loco on Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:12 am

BeastofBurson wrote:
You did not play your previous turn, but you will get your armies multiplied for missed rounds.

This is whats a problem...I'm playing in a game with a captain...hes missed 3 or 4 turns out of 11 rounds..he gets double armies twice when he does play

why are you rewarding the deadbeats with extra armies?..seems like an unfair advantage to the people responsible enough to take thier turns like they are supposed to.

Why not take an army from each territory they own...maybe they;ll think twice and make it to play when they see thier troops dwindling down....

Being rewarded seems to egg thier absence on so they DO get more armies then say just 3

BeastofBurson

They get no more men per turn than you do. You don't have to attack in a given turn. However, it is generally a good idea to attack to get a card...

Just pay attention to how many turns they've missed.
Corporal 1st Class Burrito Loco

Postby liongate on Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:57 pm

Machiavelli wrote:It's not that big of a deal if they get 6 armies instead of three. Sometimes people just cant take their turn but if they are not there for 3 days they are kicked out of the game.

The system works just fine.

NEWBIE says, "I don't think that makes sense. when you play a multiplayer with like 6 players, then it could take like 6 days for everyone to make their move, if you missed a round then you would be out."

I get upset cause I can only play 3 games right now. Someone said that most new players never come back, so shouldn't we be able to play alot of games.. anyone loyal would end up paying for this place. It's real nice. :arrow:
Cadet liongate

Re: Suggestion

Postby dddangerousdan on Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:36 pm

lackattack wrote:
LALALA wrote:How about giving the option at game creation for a different amount of time between turns -- like specifying 15 minutes-->24 hours as an option?

It would still allow people to play the slow games that they want, and allow others to play more often.

Yes, this is something I'm looking into...

A big yes!!! I recently finished a game where 3 new players never came back after the first turn :x . That really took a long time to finish.
Corporal dddangerousdan

Postby cricket on Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:12 pm

wheres the double turns/no double turns option in the start your own game?
I am cricket, the cricket playing cricketer. The Master Blaster is the best in the world.

Highest Score - 1888
Highest Place - 292
Current Rank - Lieutenant
Current Score - 1630
Sergeant 1st Class cricket

Postby pancakemix on Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:18 pm

cricket wrote:wheres the double turns/no double turns option in the start your own game?

It was taken away... long ago...
Epic Win

"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember." - Richard Roma, Glengarry Glen Ross

aage wrote:Never trust CYOC or pancake.
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby larry holland on Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:01 pm

i dont like deadbeats i was playing a game and somebody missed and i thought that i would try to attack them and it was like a protection shield around them you couldnt do nothing with them and i think if you miss you loses 3 armies and if you missed any 2 turn in one game you need to be kicked off and loses 50 points because you come in here to play so play your turns and thanks for this game
Sergeant 1st Class larry holland

Re: ???????

Postby larry holland on Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:04 pm

Burrito Loco wrote:
BeastofBurson wrote:

BeastofBurson

They get no more men per turn than you do. You don't have to attack in a given turn. However, it is generally a good idea to attack to get a card...

Just pay attention to how many turns they've missed.
i think you arted to take 3 away
Sergeant 1st Class larry holland

Surrender?

Postby REDSKULL on Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:01 pm

chiefwiz wrote:How do you surrender from a game?

The rules say you have to play to completion, and smugly recommend winning. I love this site, but I'm stuck in a game now that's painfully out of my reach, and they other players are enjoying the 24 hour turn rule. So I'm stuck waiting for this lost cause to resolve itself before I get myself into another game.

With regards to the deadbeat business, I LOVE the idea of changing the turn wait time. Some of us ARE internet weirdos who can play at work and on the bus with our cell phones. There might as well be some way to get us our speedier games. :o :)
Sergeant REDSKULL

Money

Postby sapphosbro on Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:02 pm

Speed games are on the to-do list, which is surprising, since 24 hour turns and deadbeats are vital to this site's business model. Without them, what incentive would I have had to become a premium member? I could have just sat in Live Chat and played realtime games without ever filling up my 4 game limit.

And as for people who aren't at the computer 24/7 - you only have to be on the computer once in 24 to keep from missing a turn. If this is too much to ask, find a pen pal, since conquerclub is obviously not for you. And if you cannot play every 15 mins, you are not going to join a 15 minute game, and if you do, you should be punished, not rewarded with a strategic advantage as other players cannot predict your return. And if you miss because your mom cut her finger and you had to rush her to the hospital, then you probably have much more to worry about than a few missed turns :roll: .
Cadet sapphosbro

Postby alex_white101 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:45 pm

maybe freemium members can be limited to one speed game per day or two, that way they are still encouraged to buy premium.
''Many a true word is spoken in jest''
Corporal 1st Class alex_white101

Re: Money

Postby Gustaf Wasa on Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:28 am

sapphosbro wrote:Speed games are on the to-do list, which is surprising, since 24 hour turns and deadbeats are vital to this site's business model. Without them, what incentive would I have had to become a premium member?

You are right, I never thought of it that way. It was obvious that the site owner protected and encouraged deadbeating, but I didn't understand why. Now I do. It is so that you will be so bored when you have four games slowed down to a crawl, that you buy premium.

Nice.

And to those who say you don't get an advantage as a deadbeat, because you don't collect more armies - you collect when others have made their moves for two turns, showing the weakest spot to place all those armies you have gathered. You let A and B fight it out, and once you see which of them is beaten, you can place all your armies there and take him out. It is parasiting on other people's efforts.

Not to mention that you slow down the game to a crawl, like the asshat you are, when you deadbeat.

As for "what if something comes up and I just have to leave!" - so do. How often does that happen? You have accidents befall you every week? No? Didn't think so. So you can put up with being kicked from one game for deadbeating every now and then. If your life is so screwed up that you miss 24-hour turns all the time, then you shouldn't be playing.

Of course, it is pointless to point out all this, since, as Sapphosbro figured out, the site owner and mods know damn well what a problem deadbeats are but they have an interest in keeping it that way. The site owner makes money by annoying people.
General Gustaf Wasa

Postby alster on Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:24 am

Gustaf Wasa wrote:You are right, I never thought of it that way. It was obvious that the site owner protected and encouraged deadbeating, but I didn't understand why. Now I do. It is so that you will be so bored when you have four games slowed down to a crawl, that you buy premium.

Dude, the game is designed to be played so casual players can enjoy it. It's right there on page one spelled out clearly. If you have a problem with that, go to another site. No one is forcing you to be here.

And you make it sound like you have some kind of right to play for free. If you want to do that, code your own online game. In fact, the four free game is a nice thing, people can sign up and try it for free. But, the people who are paying (to keep the site going) have no interest in freeriders playing for free.

Gustaf Wasa wrote:And to those who say you don't get an advantage as a deadbeat, because you don't collect more armies - you collect when others have made their moves for two turns, showing the weakest spot to place all those armies you have gathered. You let A and B fight it out, and once you see which of them is beaten, you can place all your armies there and take him out. It is parasiting on other people's efforts.

Not to mention that you slow down the game to a crawl, like the asshat you are, when you deadbeat.

Ok. You need to keep your vocabulary straight. Deadbeating is when a player gets kicked out for missing three consecutive rounds. If you deadbeat, you're gone. Missing a turn or two is not deadbeating.

Further. If a player misses a turn or two, and you don't capitalize on it, you're a bad player. Why on earth would you assume that a guy missing a turn isn't coming back? If you assume that, you're taking a gamble, and deserves to loose the game if the gamble doesn't pay off.

Gustaf Wasa wrote:As for "what if something comes up and I just have to leave!" - so do. How often does that happen? You have accidents befall you every week? No? Didn't think so. So you can put up with being kicked from one game for deadbeating every now and then. If your life is so screwed up that you miss 24-hour turns all the time, then you shouldn't be playing.

I missed a lot of turns due to being too busy or having a bad hang-over. If you have a reasonably interesting life, things may come up during the week it can take to finish a game.

Gustaf Wasa wrote:Of course, it is pointless to point out all this, since, as Sapphosbro figured out, the site owner and mods know damn well what a problem deadbeats are but they have an interest in keeping it that way. The site owner makes money by annoying people.

Again, dude, get your act together. If you can't pay, don't expect to play.

And for those who don't pay premium but still enjoy the game - Shut The Fck Up And Be Happy That You Have An Account.
Gengoldy wrote:Of all the games I've played, and there have been some poor sports and cursing players out there, you are by far the lowest and with the least class.
Sergeant 1st Class alster

Postby jaydog on Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:41 am

alstergren wrote:
Gustaf Wasa wrote:You are right, I never thought of it that way. It was obvious that the site owner protected and encouraged deadbeating, but I didn't understand why. Now I do. It is so that you will be so bored when you have four games slowed down to a crawl, that you buy premium.

Dude, the game is designed to be played so casual players can enjoy it. It's right there on page one spelled out clearly. If you have a problem with that, go to another site. No one is forcing you to be here.

And you make it sound like you have some kind of right to play for free. If you want to do that, code your own online game. In fact, the four free game is a nice thing, people can sign up and try it for free. But, the people who are paying (to keep the site going) have no interest in freeriders playing for free.

Gustaf Wasa wrote:And to those who say you don't get an advantage as a deadbeat, because you don't collect more armies - you collect when others have made their moves for two turns, showing the weakest spot to place all those armies you have gathered. You let A and B fight it out, and once you see which of them is beaten, you can place all your armies there and take him out. It is parasiting on other people's efforts.

Ok. You need to keep your vocabulary straight. Deadbeating is when a player gets kicked out for missing three consecutive rounds. If you deadbeat, you're gone. Missing a turn or two is not deadbeating.

Further. If a player misses a turn or two, and you don't capitalize on it, you're a bad player. Why on earth would you assume that a guy missing a turn isn't coming back? If you assume that, you're taking a gamble, and deserves to loose the game if the gamble doesn't pay off.

Gustaf Wasa wrote:As for "what if something comes up and I just have to leave!" - so do. How often does that happen? You have accidents befall you every week? No? Didn't think so. So you can put up with being kicked from one game for deadbeating every now and then. If your life is so screwed up that you miss 24-hour turns all the time, then you shouldn't be playing.

I missed a lot of turns due to being too busy or having a bad hang-over. If you have a reasonably interesting life, things may come up during the week it can take to finish a game.

Gustaf Wasa wrote:Of course, it is pointless to point out all this, since, as Sapphosbro figured out, the site owner and mods know damn well what a problem deadbeats are but they have an interest in keeping it that way. The site owner makes money by annoying people.

Again, dude, get your act together. If you can't pay, don't expect to play.

And for those who don't pay premium but still enjoy the game - Shut The Fck Up And Be Happy That You Have An Account.

well said
Lieutenant jaydog

double turns

Postby waynemgough on Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:39 am

wot exactly are double turns, is it where sum1 accumilates armies by missing a go?
Brigadier waynemgough

Postby bridalmar on Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:22 am

:D I REALLY like the idea of timing options between turns!!!!
Sergeant 1st Class bridalmar

RT Time Option

Postby IccleJim on Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:06 pm

Is it possible to have a second "type" of game, for RT players, where the time limit is set to something like 10 minutes?

Watching the gabble chat, many players complain that they can't play a real time game because as non-premium players they only have 4 games, 3 of which started as RT, but are now 24 hour delays due to someone dropping off the RT. If RT games were limited to 10 minutes per go it would help this and keep many more "free" players in the loop.

Of course with premium this tends not to be an issue as much, however, I currently have 12 games on the go and possibly four of them, 2 weeks old, started as RT games!
Cadet IccleJim

Re: RT Time Option

Postby The1exile on Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:58 pm

IccleJim wrote:Is it possible to have a second "type" of game, for RT players, where the time limit is set to something like 10 minutes?

Watching the gabble chat, many players complain that they can't play a real time game because as non-premium players they only have 4 games, 3 of which started as RT, but are now 24 hour delays due to someone dropping off the RT. If RT games were limited to 10 minutes per go it would help this and keep many more "free" players in the loop.

Of course with premium this tends not to be an issue as much, however, I currently have 12 games on the go and possibly four of them, 2 weeks old, started as RT games!

1) suggestions form
2) already to-do
Lieutenant The1exile

Re: double turns

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:20 pm

waynemgough wrote:wot exactly are double turns, is it where sum1 accumilates armies by missing a go?

double turn= two turns in a row by the same player. gives them a huge advantage, which is why they were removed.

When you miss a turn, on your next turn you get the armies for the turn you missed AND the armies for this turn. since its two turns of armies, it basically doubles your armies.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby Jaleb on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:25 am

So how comes a player to night,got triple his missed rounds?I say you missed rounds your out)Simple)?
Another thing that would be interesting(Speed rounds)Say so long too take your turn?
Private 1st Class Jaleb

Postby Caleb the Cruel on Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:01 pm

Jaleb wrote:So how comes a player to night,got triple his missed rounds?I say you missed rounds your out)Simple)?
Another thing that would be interesting(Speed rounds)Say so long too take your turn?

Name theif.

Damn, now I'll probably be accused of being a multi again. :lol:
Corporal 1st Class Caleb the Cruel

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives