Conquer Club

[16-Jan-2006] Double turns and deadbeats

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby newboy on Sun May 28, 2006 10:16 pm

What if they only got half of the troops, it would give them incentive to play the round instead of deadbeating, but legitimate occurences wouldn't lose out altogether.

If people lost points for deadbeating out of a game (even though the points don't to go to the winner) it would make it a fairer system.
Sergeant 1st Class newboy

Postby Machiavelli on Mon May 29, 2006 8:22 pm

It's not that big of a deal if they get 6 armies instead of three. Sometimes people just cant take their turn but if they are not there for 3 days they are kicked out of the game.

The system works just fine.
Sergeant Machiavelli

Postby guidmeister on Tue May 30, 2006 5:07 pm

very good :D
Cook guidmeister

Re: Deadbeats...

Postby aceofcups on Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:34 pm

Yes Deadbeats are annoying but surely we can take a balanced perspective on this,ie...Some of them are simply people who have "searched" for games through Yahoo etc and are therefore simply either trying it for the first time..or..have played before but,unlike us dyed in the wool commited freaks,simply see it as fun.These people have no idea how frustrating they are!..If we restrict entry too much or "lean" on the newcomers too much we remove the fum/relaxed element of our game and thus risk scaring off the new blood which otherwise would join us...May i point out that WE have all gone through the process as it is/was and it has done us no harm...I read a comment from a guy who pronounced deadbeat-newcomers as being "easy meat" but i consider this point of view as twisted and not in keepimg with the wonderful ethos of the "real" players that i have had the pleasure of encountering in the short time that i have been a member of this most excellent club. In short: Its fine the way it is...leave it alone and look to your own advancement....Cheers! Karl (aceofcups)
Corporal 1st Class aceofcups

Postby pyrofatigue55 on Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:22 pm

steel24 wrote:It sucks not knowing whether or not a deadbeat is going to play the next round or the round after, especially when deploying your armies. Should I protect my border against this dead beat or is his country gonna go neutral? Since this deadbeat`s not gonna play, I`ll deploy against the active players. 3 days later the deadbeat has 12 armies barking up your arse! I vote for no multiplication of armies for days missed.

^im with him
:twisted: i show no mercy, i burn down ur citys, kill all the men, and rape all the women (and they like it) :twisted:
Private 1st Class pyrofatigue55

Postby pyrofatigue55 on Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:24 pm

i say no to multiplying but maybe add the armies that they lost
:twisted: i show no mercy, i burn down ur citys, kill all the men, and rape all the women (and they like it) :twisted:
Private 1st Class pyrofatigue55

Re: Deadbeats...

Postby alster on Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:24 pm

aceofcups wrote:Yes Deadbeats are annoying but surely we can take a balanced perspective on this,ie...Some of them are simply people who have "searched" for games through Yahoo etc and are therefore simply either trying it for the first time..or..have played before but,unlike us dyed in the wool commited freaks,simply see it as fun.These people have no idea how frustrating they are!..If we restrict entry too much or "lean" on the newcomers too much we remove the fum/relaxed element of our game and thus risk scaring off the new blood which otherwise would join us...May i point out that WE have all gone through the process as it is/was and it has done us no harm...

I'm with him. You gain a few, you loose a few. If it's even just 1 out of 10 new players wo get hooked, the communtiy grows and the site can be improved. That's worth the annoyance that deadbeat players causes.
Gengoldy wrote:Of all the games I've played, and there have been some poor sports and cursing players out there, you are by far the lowest and with the least class.
Sergeant 1st Class alster

Postby Ronaldinho on Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:38 am

i love the new Deadbeating rules. Good call lack.
Sergeant Ronaldinho

Postby Dulier on Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:52 am

Is this thing that's dated Jan 16th, the new deadbeat rule everyone is talking about, or is there something new, that I can't find.
Corporal Dulier

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:26 pm

why has this thread been bumped?
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Time limit perameters

Postby Curt on Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:29 am

Maybe during game creation some options could be created that would allow a few options:
-change of time between turns,
-number of allowed turns to miss before you are kicked from game.

And some other all around additions.
-automatic DEADBEAT label on a player who gets kicked from a game due to missing turns,
-after a certain # of games missed, your account is deleted.

And I am sure we could come up with plenty of other options.
Corporal 1st Class Curt

Postby whitetail hunter on Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:40 pm

I am new in here and I can understand the frustration with peeps joining then not playing, I think it would be a good idea myself, or if they miss more than 5 rounds eject them and divide the land to others
Cadet whitetail hunter

Postby chiefwiz on Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:17 pm

How do you surrender from a game?
Private 1st Class chiefwiz

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:35 pm

since that new thread is locked im posting about it here.

1. what is it going to happen?
2. whats going on with the new menu on the side of the screen?
3. does anyone know what lack is going to do besides lack?
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby P Gizzle on Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:36 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:since that new thread is locked im posting about it here.

look at my thread in general discussion
Gridiron Gang- CC's largest Clan!
Cook P Gizzle

Postby wicked on Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:37 pm

OMG, can't you show one iota on patience? It's obvious he's changing things RIGHT NOW. Hold your damn horses...sheesh. :roll:
Major wicked

Postby Fireside Poet on Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:40 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:since that new thread is locked im posting about it here.

Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll ban you. :D
Click this logo for more information on joining!
Major Fireside Poet

Re: Double turns and deadbeats

Postby D.IsleRealBrown on Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:31 pm

lackattack wrote:I just finished 2 improvements that are worthy of an announcement.

First, I got rid of the 180 minute "Turn Lag" and replaced it with a game option Allow Double Turns (Yes/No). If set to No, players will not be able to take back-to-back turns when they trigger a new round.

Thanks to Ran Taro, Itrade, molestar and destructo for their input on this.

The other change addresses the deadbeat problem. 35% of new players that join a game will never come back to take a turn. And more flake out in the middle of a game. It's really annoying to wait for these deadbeats who never play, so let's annoy them back! My solution is to send out emails like the one below after every missed round. I hope it makes a difference.

Code: Select all
Hello username,

It's your turn in Game 1!

You did not play your previous turn, but you will get your armies multiplied for missed rounds.

Visit http://www.conquerclub.com to make your move.

Note: New players receive these notices after missing a turn. If you do not want to play, then surrender from the game and you will stop receiving these notices.

Regards,
The Conquer Club

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
ImageImageImage
Lieutenant D.IsleRealBrown

Postby everyone on Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:30 am

lack attack im not sure bout some things like how to get that questionmark away from my name it reailly bugs me and i carnt be botherd to ask at gabby cos no1 will ever tell me.

p.s. i should be good at this type of game cos i play risk all the time at home and i allmost win everytime.
r u being funny?
cos i dnt like funny
Private 1st Class everyone

Postby GloriousL on Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:57 pm

It is my impression that some people choose to go deadbeat when they realize their chances of winning are small.

I havent been able to find any penalties for going deadbeat, is there any?
I suggest that anyone that gets kicked out of a game for missing turns should have 50 points deducted from their score.

"XXX" missed a turn
"XXX" was kicked out for missing 3 turns and loses 50 points

I think this would discourage higher ranked players from chosing an easy exit strategy from games they are losing.
Major GloriousL

Postby dussle on Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:27 pm

GloriousL wrote:It is my impression that some people choose to go deadbeat when they realize their chances of winning are small.

I havent been able to find any penalties for going deadbeat, is there any?
I suggest that anyone that gets kicked out of a game for missing turns should have 50 points deducted from their score.

"XXX" missed a turn
"XXX" was kicked out for missing 3 turns and loses 50 points

I think this would discourage higher ranked players from chosing an easy exit strategy from games they are losing.

I'm sorry but let me just say that that was the most stupid suggestion I've heard on hear for a long time. Do you presume that people don't have lives? Say a game lasts longer than you thought and now you have to leave for say.. three days, then you lose 50 points per freestyle game! That would destroy your score. Curently the system is losing points if you deadbeat or no, losing 50 points as punishment is overdoing it.
Sergeant dussle

Postby JerseyDevil on Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:47 am

chiefwiz wrote:How do you surrender from a game?

I want to know if this question has been answered. I want to know how to surrender without being called a deadbeat. I recently had to have a stay in the hospital, and I don't think it is fair that everyone in the game I am playing has to wait 72 hours to continue play. I also hate deadbeats, and if I find I have one in the game I am playing, I'll commit suicide to get out of the game. I want to play, not sit around and wait.

I HAVE a life, but I still find time to check my games!
Cadet JerseyDevil

Postby moz976 on Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:50 am

Check out the FAQ and your question will be answered.
"The suitcoats say, 'There is money to be made.'
They get so excited, nothing gets in their way
My road it may be lonely just because it's not paved.
It's good for drifting, drifting away."
-Vedder
Private moz976

Postby JerseyDevil on Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:26 pm

Then, since there is no longer a way to "ignore" people, or any way to resign from a game with a bunch of deadbeats and I don't have that many people in my circle of friends that enjoy this game, I guess I will just have to not come to the sight to play any longer.

I played this game as a teen over 40 years ago and enjoyed it then (and still do) but I hate waiting for someone to take a turn. You know that you are in a game, if you can't finish, be good enough to let other people know you have a problem.

To all that read this and agree or disagree, good luck and have fun playing the waiting game.

Oh yea, and don't bother to give me the line about having a life. I have one, and still find time.
Cadet JerseyDevil

Postby obysan on Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:31 am

Lets hope it works, he. It just sucks getting deadbeated. Well done
Sergeant 1st Class obysan

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives