Conquer Club

[16-Jan-2006] Double turns and deadbeats

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Suggestion for team play

Postby mathgeni on Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:51 pm

I like that when your teammate gets booted from a game for missing too many turns that you get all of the territories and armies instead of it becoming a neutral player- but i was wondering if it could be made so that your teammates armies reamain that color and you just take control of that color as well as your own- basically so that in a sequential gameplay game your oppenents won't get 2 turns compared to your 1 which gives them a great advantage event though you may have more territories and armies
Lieutenant mathgeni

Postby maniacmath17 on Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:41 pm

Another math person on the site!? I don't believe it!
Brigadier maniacmath17

Postby mathgeni on Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:09 pm

maniacmath17 wrote:Another math person on the site!? I don't believe it!

Well you better believe it- math rules- but forensic chemistry is even better
Lieutenant mathgeni

Postby bangthetank on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:56 pm

I am a new player. I am in my first 3 games right now. I had totally forgot about them until I got my e-mail. I think it will work out great. :roll:
Corporal bangthetank

Postby frankyboy on Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:55 am

The new players might not realize that they are holding up the game. Perhaps the e-mail should mention that also.
Lieutenant frankyboy

Re: Double turns and deadbeats

Postby ChiPsiUpsilon on Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:00 pm

lackattack wrote:
Hello username,

It's your turn in Game 1!

You did not play your previous turn, but you will get your armies multiplied for missed rounds.

Visit http://www.conquerclub.com to make your move.

Note: New players receive these notices after missing a turn. If you do not want to play, then surrender from the game and you will stop receiving these notices.

Regards,
The Conquer Club

The FAQ says there's no way to surrender a game once it starts. So why would the e-mail sent suggest players to surrender then?
Private ChiPsiUpsilon

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:06 pm

The post you read is outdated...check the dates...about a year old. 2006.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

new player perspective

Postby Gareth on Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:55 pm

Hi,

First I think this site is great, and I love playing risk, so I'm wrapped to have found this place, a couple of things as far as new player dead beats go.

There's a yahoo risk which is pretty small, maybe you could reccomend new players who don't know how to play the game at all, look at downloading this, it gives you 1 hour trial, like risk but is heaps smaller to download.

When I first came in here, I could find a lot about how to play the game, but not how the interface would work or what it would look like, so when the game I'm in started I didn't see any controls, and couldn't understand how it was going to work. Once it was my turn it all became real clear, but I almost didn't come back. Maybe some screen dumps of the controls would help explain it to people better. I apologize if these do exist and I couldn't find them.

Cheers
Gareth
Private 1st Class Gareth

How does one 'surrender"?

Postby tomtorresson on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:11 am

This is a great idea Lack! Thank. Curious...in your proposed email to folks missing a turn you mention the surrender option.

Is that an option that is available to all? There are cases where I would like to be able to surrender...and don't see an option on the game page?
Sergeant tomtorresson

Postby moz976 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:20 am

When the game was originally launched there was a surrender button. But after much abuse of the button it was removed and will probably never return.
"The suitcoats say, 'There is money to be made.'
They get so excited, nothing gets in their way
My road it may be lonely just because it's not paved.
It's good for drifting, drifting away."
-Vedder
Private moz976

Postby mikejordan17 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:40 pm

steel24 wrote:It sucks not knowing whether or not a deadbeat is going to play the next round or the round after, especially when deploying your armies. Should I protect my border against this dead beat or is his country gonna go neutral? Since this deadbeat`s not gonna play, I`ll deploy against the active players. 3 days later the deadbeat has 12 armies barking up your arse! I vote for no multiplication of armies for days missed.

I think that it would be very nice to have the option to skip your turn and use double the armies next round, that would be cool actually. This would also allow for the people that know they won't be able to take their turn in 24 hours to select, skip next turn so that you guys don't have to wait around as long for the next turn. Hows that sound?
Sergeant 1st Class mikejordan17

Postby mikejordan17 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:42 pm

steel24 wrote:It sucks not knowing whether or not a deadbeat is going to play the next round or the round after, especially when deploying your armies. Should I protect my border against this dead beat or is his country gonna go neutral? Since this deadbeat`s not gonna play, I`ll deploy against the active players. 3 days later the deadbeat has 12 armies barking up your arse! I vote for no multiplication of armies for days missed.

Also, people, if you get a premium membership for a lousy $20 a year you can avoid being annoyed by having to wait around to take a turn because you can have so many games going at once instead of just 4. I have a premium membership and I know it's not as annoying for me when there is a deadbeat in a game because I know I have 20 other games running.
Sergeant 1st Class mikejordan17

Great! but 1 thing...

Postby Chystal Halon on Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:24 am

So how do newbies surrender? :-k :?:
Me and my brothers motto.

Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for an hour. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his lifetime.
Private Chystal Halon

hey guys click here

Postby OgreatMao on Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:38 pm

Cadet OgreatMao

Oh wha???

Postby Chystal Halon on Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:41 pm

What. Was.That? It. was. weird. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Me and my brothers motto.

Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for an hour. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his lifetime.
Private Chystal Halon

Postby Ros on Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:48 pm

battletroop27 wrote:hey, i'm a deadbeat! i quit in the middle of games often. mostly because i always lose unless the other players don't pay attention to me

Weak in risk & weak in mentality.

Guess we can't do much about your kind, except flaming & avoid playing you.

But about newbies I had this idea in case the new reminder mails don't work: :idea: only privates & higher ranked players have the privilege to miss turns, newbies will be kicked out after missing 1 turn. If you explain this properly they and they really want to play they can start a new game and won't make the same mistake again. This way missing turns will be A RIGHT which has to be earned first.
I don't know if the game wizzards could fix this but if so it would be a 100% proof deal.
Major Ros

Postby Kyle Trite on Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:48 am

Ros wrote:
Weak in risk & weak in mentality.

Guess we can't do much about your kind, except flaming & avoid playing you.

But about newbies I had this idea in case the new reminder mails don't work: :idea: only privates & higher ranked players have the privilege to miss turns, newbies will be kicked out after missing 1 turn. If you explain this properly they and they really want to play they can start a new game and won't make the same mistake again. This way missing turns will be A RIGHT which has to be earned first.
I don't know if the game wizzards could fix this but if so it would be a 100% proof deal.

That's a bit harsh don't u think? I think the current system of missing 3 turns before getting kicked out is better but u could lessen the time u can take for your turns like if u missed your first turn u would have only 12 hours to take your next one and so on, but if u take a turn again your time goes back to 24 hours.
"Why save the world when you can rule it?"
-Goldeneye

Highest Score-1657

Highest Place-3557
Sergeant Kyle Trite

Postby Ros on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:40 am

Yeah, that's nice but complicated. I just think that the newbies who care about risk won't miss turns. In my proposal u eliminate the ones who don't care. And if newbies who care miss a turn for a genuine reason they can start a new game straight away and once they've played 10 games they've proven that they want to play. Also by that time they most probably fully understand the rules.
Major Ros

Postby Lanceyboyuk on Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:18 am

Or we could forget your kind, who seems to forget that you were a newb aswell once! :twisted:
Sergeant 1st Class Lanceyboyuk

Postby Lanceyboyuk on Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:23 am

Or we could forget your kind, who seems to forget that you were a newb aswell once! :twisted:

Postby Ros on Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:30 am

Lanceyboyuk wrote:Or we could forget your kind, who seems to forget that you were a newb aswell once! :twisted:

With 'your kind' I wasn't talking about newbies. If u read carefully u would notice that I was talking about deadbeats missing turns on purpose and that they hope that people 'forget' them so they can stab them in the back once they get double or tripple reinforcements.

And I usually don't miss turns and also didn't mess up games when I was a newb. Unfortunately about 50% of newbies miss their turns and get kicked out of games I play with them.

So I'm not talking about newbies in general but about the 50% nobody wants and of course these cowardly playing deadbeats!

But if u support these kind of players and oppose my kind of players your free to say so. But just say this once cause that would be silly enough....
Major Ros

Postby Lanceyboyuk on Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:40 am

sorry about the double post. no idea there. Anyway i take your point, it just resolves me to get prem and not worry about it.

Re: Suggestion

Postby Dunk90 on Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:03 pm

lackattack wrote:
LALALA wrote:How about giving the option at game creation for a different amount of time between turns -- like specifying 15 minutes-->24 hours as an option?

It would still allow people to play the slow games that they want, and allow others to play more often.

Yes, this is something I'm looking into...
I'M FOR THAT ONE!!! DIFFERENT TIME LIMIT OPTIONS. AWESOME IDEA!!!!!!!! :D
I like to kick ass and chew bubble gum and right now I'm out of bubble gum......
Sergeant Dunk90

Postby antjo on Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:19 am

LALALA wrote:How about giving the option at game creation for a different amount of time between turns -- like specifying 15 minutes-->24 hours as an option?

It would still allow people to play the slow games that they want, and allow others to play more often.

and if you set the timer on like 3hours, you can keep people awake all night, nice
Sergeant 1st Class antjo

Postby bloodyfrog3 on Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:38 pm

lackattack wrote:

Yes, this is something I'm looking into...

If you did this, then a certain host would be able to dominate the game if they are on constantly all day. This would not allow people such as myself that go to work or school during the day and do not have access to a computer with internet, to play or have a fair chance.
=)-l<
=)3l<

hahaha.....
Private 1st Class bloodyfrog3

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives