Conquer Club

[05-Mar-2008] Server overload this week

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Itrade on Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:27 pm

Noooooooo! The inactive posts are part of CC's rich history.

Shut down the forums and live chat for two days.
Image My set is a bone coat-of-arms and chandelier! How cool is that?
Sergeant Itrade

Postby autoload on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:57 am

hecter wrote:
Fireside Poet wrote:Just think of the savings by getting rid of Spamalot... :twisted:

And the Longest Thread Thread.

hecter! I thought we were better than that!
Major autoload

Postby yeti_c on Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:38 am

wicked wrote:I have 4.1.10 and it works fine with the new log.

Your stats will be wrong.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby wicked on Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:06 am

yeti_c wrote:

C.

how so?
Major wicked

Postby yeti_c on Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:15 am

wicked wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

how so?

Because the full log isn't there to be processed - things like Escalating card turn in, Eliminator Summary, last bonus & FOW Calc territories won't be correct.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby wicked on Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:18 am

Will the stats be correct with the new version if the full logs aren't loaded?
Major wicked

Postby yeti_c on Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:26 am

wicked wrote:Will the stats be correct with the new version if the full logs aren't loaded?

The new version downloads the full log for processing... so Yes.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

CC's shit

Postby luapie on Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:27 am

Aint gonnah pay no more for this kind of site
Sergeant 1st Class luapie

Postby Iliad on Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:37 am

I'm sure you will be missed :roll:
Private 1st Class Iliad

Postby potiusmori on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:56 am

wicked wrote:
potiusmori wrote:Lack, thought i'd drop a note... i suppose there's a better spot for it, but.

When you finish a game it loads the full log instead of just the last 50 lines.

Glad to know the game's being well cared for, :lol:

Are you sure? I just finished a few games and only the last 50 lines were loaded.

I saw the game initialized, and it was long enough it shouldn't have shown that line. maybe i'm just seeing things.
Sergeant 1st Class potiusmori

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:15 pm

Thanks for the work. This is, of course, the other side of success, especially in the computer world, that sometimes too many customers is as bad or WORSE than too few ... still, all in all, I think most would prefer this side of the problem

Anyway, if you really want folks to not play speed games, etc. you might need to either send out a clearer (more forceful, less polite) message or just temporarily shut down the capability to start new speed games.

I did a check for new games without thinking and was quite surprised to find a bunch of folks with open speed games. I emailed a couple I recognized, just to see if they happened to catch your note. The response? Basically, "he didn't really mean that I shouldn't play speed games"

Just a thought ....
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby JustCallMeStupid on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:07 pm

I dont know if it is speed games that are really slowing down the server all that much is it? It seems the risk of the speed game is if the server has a hiccup or goes down again. Just 30 minutes could end many speed games giving the win to the last person to take a turn, or to ??? if it was freestyle.

I personally, haven't added any new games lately. Anyways, lack is doing agreat job of keeping the effects minimal while he gets a sure fire solution in place.

TY Lack!
Major JustCallMeStupid

Postby Night Strike on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:14 pm

Well, speed games definitely don't help the problem because the game log is frequently updated and retrieved. The database (games, logs, etc.) was that part of the site that was having problems. So, recommending avoiding speed games keeps the players from losing a game that gets stalled as well as reducing some server/database load.
Major Night Strike

Postby lackattack on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:21 pm

The main reason I asked people to avoid speed games is that they could be ruined by a server hiccup. But now I think there is less chance of a hiccup because the band-aid fix is working quite well (which is key, because I've been told it will take several days before the replacement db server is ready)
Sergeant lackattack

Postby bryguy on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:23 pm

good cause otherwise i kept missing turns for regular games
Corporal bryguy

Postby wcaclimbing on Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:34 pm

lackattack wrote:The main reason I asked people to avoid speed games is that they could be ruined by a server hiccup. But now I think there is less chance of a hiccup because the band-aid fix is working quite well (which is key, because I've been told it will take several days before the replacement db server is ready)

I think you should leave the "band-aid" fix.
Cause it does take a lot of work off the servers, and people rarely need the entire log anyway. for the few times it is needed the "show entire log" will still be there.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby BrilliantGenius on Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:59 pm

I got frustrated too when it seemed nothing was being done. I am happy now, though. Lack IS trying to fix things up, and he's in overdrive now.

But I do have a suggestion or two, as others have pointed out. I forget though, is this set up so that when you register for the game you register for the forum? If so you'd have to consider not deleting gold members (since if they do come back they'll be VERY mad they paid and were deleted). I think you should prune inactive forum posters. I also think that you could clear some of the posts.
Cook BrilliantGenius

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:00 pm

Old users and forum posts do little to stress the server.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

sooooo whats the news?

Postby laddida on Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:24 am

So far im hearing half and half from people that the server is working great and some are still experiancing alot of slowness and freezing and missing deployments. So whats up with the new server Anywhere near putting it in yet?
General laddida

Postby lackattack on Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:07 pm

It's going to take serveral more days before it's delivered and ready. But things appear to be running smoothly now thanks to the tweaking.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby hulmey on Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:07 pm

Iliad wrote:I'm sure you will be missed :roll:

LOL
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby tutenkamu on Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:36 pm

detlef wrote:
lord voldemort wrote:it his full time job
he doesnt do much else
well thats what i thought anyway
Well then, I feel even stronger about what I said.

To compare it to what I do:

If there was some major screw up at my restaurant and shortly afterwards another very similar one. If I had a dining room full of people who were waiting for their food for the second time in a rather short period of time, I wouldn't exactly expect a standing ovation when I finally got them their food.
<snip>

I can see your point, but I'd also add:

If your restaurant had built up a loyal following by being paticularly attentive to the needs of its regular customer, who came back time and time and againb, those customers would understand if there were occassional problems, esp if you communicated those problems clearly.

[edit]

Note: this is not to say you don't in your restaurant, I'm just saying that there is more to it than "bit of downtime = poor service".
Corporal tutenkamu

Postby Plutoman on Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:21 pm

lackattack wrote:It's going to take serveral more days before it's delivered and ready. But things appear to be running smoothly now thanks to the tweaking.

Definitely glad to hear it, the rapid turnaround for fixing the problem has definitely decided that I'm going to put my money here as soon as I can ;)

I haven't seen many private sites (as in not a company hosting it) that fixes problems so rapidly, and I've been around the internet alot - keep that in mind people, lackattack isn't a company with 20-30 people working under him - he's one person working, and this was an extremely rapid fix for these conditions.

I truly do admire you for keeping the site open for free players, and considering them into everything. Detlef, I have to say - I don't want to play on a site that only offers a "demo" of it's services. I want something that truly represents how much good it can be. I've played for a while, and am now enjoying the game enough that I want to be a member - if I was forced to become a member after just a month, I wouldn't be here now.
Private 1st Class Plutoman

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:27 pm

lackattack wrote:It's going to take serveral more days before it's delivered and ready. But things appear to be running smoothly now thanks to the tweaking.

Look forward to the new server! From what I understand (about servers, which is little) it sounds like a doozy! :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:31 am

About damn time
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives