Conquer Club

[09-Jun-2008] Ratings & Medals

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Clarity of Rating Scales, etc. (Empirically valid solutions)

Postby Nigelus on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:54 pm

Better upgrade than some of the abusive ranting that I've seen in the past - Though, some of it is just plain hilarious...

One suggestion: You might want to consider adding an "Aptitude" or "Strategy" ranking for overall ranking - It's too easy to skew rankings high unless there's obvious Positive or Negative feedback.

"Aptitude" might be likened to a movie rating - It's more subjective, but gives more information and will illustrate a larger difference b/t good v. okay v. bad v. great players. And, that's what we want, correct?

***Since I'm in the psychology field and have created "Likert-type" scales similar to these, it would be helpful to give "benchmarks" for the range of stars given (e.g., Fairness - Very hard to judge, so maybe a range from 1 star "Not fair at all", 2 stars "questionable", 3 stars "Hard to tell" or "N/A", 4 stars "fair", 5 stars "fair to a fault" or "very fair")

If the above were known, then people could more accurately & appropriately rank people accordingly. Obviously, the verbiage and applicability of each needs to follow suit and be appropriate for each scale. It would be really easy to do an "Incompetent", "not very competent", "No Way to know" or "N/A", "competent", and "Very competent" to a 5-star Likert scale; and, I think this would be easier for people to rate.

I'm skewing everyone high right now (4-5 stars), except for the 1-2 people that DB'ed, suicided or were completely rude; then they get no or 1 star - And, what's the difference b/t "no star" v. "1 star"? That could be rated completely different among people who have a different perspective on the meaning of the rating "variable" or "construct".

Hope this may help everyone make this system clearer...

Cheers,
Nigelus.
Corporal Nigelus

Re: Clarity of Rating Scales, etc. (Empirically valid solutions)

Postby Esn on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:59 pm

Nigelus wrote:Better upgrade than some of the abusive ranting that I've seen in the past - Though, some of it is just plain hilarious...

I think that abusive ranting generally says more about the person who wrote it than the person who receives it. So if I saw a negative that looked like it was written by an idiot, I'd just ignore it. The new system still allows that abusive person to give you the lowest score, but it doesn't allow the person looking at your feedback to see whether it was deserved or not.

P.S. I approve of the new "no secret diplomacy" rule... the fact that no-one's mentioned it so far probably indicates that it's the one non-controversial part of these updates.
Last edited by Esn on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Esn

Re: [09-Jun-2008] Ratings & Medals

Postby wolfman1969 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:00 pm

how do you know when you acheive a medal..and how close you re from one ?
Sergeant 1st Class wolfman1969

Postby truly_tasha on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:07 pm

What?!? I really liked my feedback - I enjoyed watching the positives pile up and I was proud of the fact that I didn't have a single negative :cry: I am ever sad that they are gone now....

Plus I would look to see what other people had for feedback... it gave me a good insight on how they played the game... if they had alot of negatives for deadbeating or missing turns I could choose not to play the game with them (i hate waiting on deadbeaters)

not sure if i like the star grading system....kinda feel like i am in grade school again...

:? :|

but that's just my opinion....
Lieutenant truly_tasha

Postby Fireside Poet on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:09 pm

Congrats on another fine update, lack. The medal system is quite ... interesting... it reveals just how much time I've spent at this place... ;) Do these medals make me look fat?
Last edited by Fireside Poet on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click this logo for more information on joining!
Major Fireside Poet

Postby Night Strike on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:09 pm

DiM wrote:but how about the map medal and tourney medal, why don't they work?
i assume they have to be edited manually since the games can be updated automatically but the maps and tourneys can't. am i right?

I'm pretty sure the TD's and Cartos will end up in charge of giving out the tournament and cartography medals, respectively, but lack hasn't told us for sure how it will work. They'll probably get out soon though.

To all the naysayers of this system: I wouldn't count on going back to the old system. Too many people complained about their negative feedbacks and the feedback mods were spending too much time answering their e-tickets.
Major Night Strike

Postby MuEagles79 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:13 pm

Night Strike wrote:
DiM wrote:To all the naysayers of this system: I wouldn't count on going back to the old system. Too many people complained about their negative feedbacks and the feedback mods were spending too much time answering their e-tickets.

so this current ratings system eliminates users wanting to complain about his/her ratings???

if anything...this will lead to more complaints to the mods because people will be asking for clarification on why his/her rating is a 1-star.

basically that is a cop-out response
Private 1st Class MuEagles79

Postby MasterGuns on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:13 pm

lancehoch wrote:
MasterGuns wrote:4) Create two Leagues: One for Premium Members and one for Non-Premium Members. (the reason I suggest this is because people who pay up for premium ussually dont break the rules as much because they have something to lose. Therefore, I can start a game for random players to join who are only premium and on average are more respectful players.) This would also be an incentive to purchase premium.
Regards,
MasterGuns[/color]

Clearly you do not go to the forums much. If you had, you would have noticed that one player was busted 4 different times last week for multis. He bought premium for both accounts on every occasion. That was over $225 in a week. Clearly some people do not care about the money.

That is just Crazy!!! but i would think he is the Exception not the Norm..... yeah definately not Normal

-MG
Lieutenant MasterGuns

Postby dalliance on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:19 pm

although the star system is definitely a bad idea, i think the medals add a nice flair to the site.
Sergeant 1st Class dalliance

Postby dalliance on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:20 pm

omg, please bring back feedback
Sergeant 1st Class dalliance

Postby Tommy Tucker on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:22 pm

I have to say I far prefer the old system. Like may others I was proud of my 0 Negs and before joining a game I could see exactly what Negs a player had before deciding whether to join in.

I also tried Rating a few players and for things like taking turns on time, you have to go back and look at the log to see if they were up to scratch. I know you don't have to rate on everything but if someone misses turns regularly you need to let others know.

There is also the temptation to just rate all attributes with a 4 without really thinking about it.

I also saw that although I rated about 50 players, when I look at "ratings Left", nothing has registered. I also can't see any medals next to me.... I definitely have one or two!
Major Tommy Tucker

Postby DukeToshiro on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:24 pm

alan.duanmu wrote:although the star system is definitely a bad idea, i think the medals add a nice flair to the site.

I agree. I say keep the medals and get rid of the new feedback system. Or at the very least, add a comment section to the star ratings. I kind of like the idea of feedback not showing up until the game is archived as well.

But the no comment thing sucks. It would almost be better to have no feedback system at all than the useless no-comment feature.
Captain DukeToshiro

Postby Esn on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:30 pm

DukeToshiro wrote:I kind of like the idea of feedback not showing up until the game is archived as well.

I like that also.
Sergeant 1st Class Esn

Postby gloryordeath on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:34 pm

I had my doubts but so far I like it. Time will tell more but I'm willing to give this a try. Good job Lack and all that made this happen.
The Society of Cooks Train a cook today battle an officer tomorrow! Making good players great! viewtopic.php?f=341&t=74468

xiGAMES Member

Lieutenant gloryordeath

Postby Megadeth666 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:37 pm

HOLY SHIT...WTF you all complainin about...Play the Game, Frickin Kill the ppl your playin, Fuckin End of story...who Cares bout Feedback, Metals, and Crap..Dont talk in the room ...an just play the frickin game..sure theres always a village idiot, but they thrive on your response, and if you feed them , their gonna keep bein an Idiot...The New system seems like it will work, cause you dont have these assholes leaving bogus feedbacks, and not to mention the higher ranks got special treatment from mods, and got there negative feed back takin off any way....We all should be here for fun, So just Play the Game...you dont have to play to win..Dont have to play for rank, or Metals....JUST PLAY FOR BLOOD :twisted:
Private 1st Class Megadeth666

Postby dakky21 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:38 pm

lackattack wrote:Medals
Look out as well for our line of contributions medals to be awarded to those who've helped make this website a better place.

You can expect more medals to come out in future updates...

I wouldn't be really sad if I got one of these "contributors" medals, as after all, it was my idea ;) (maybe it was thought before, but no one said that)

(link to post)
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49936&p=1296991#p1296991

:mrgreen:
Captain dakky21

Re: Clarity of Rating Scales, etc. (Empirically valid solutions)

Postby lancehoch on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:38 pm

Nigelus wrote:One suggestion: You might want to consider adding an "Aptitude" or "Strategy" ranking for overall ranking - It's too easy to skew rankings high unless there's obvious Positive or Negative feedback.

lack specifically said that he did not want any ratings based on gameplay or skill. That is what the rank is for.

Nigelus wrote:***Since I'm in the psychology field and have created "Likert-type" scales similar to these, it would be helpful to give "benchmarks" for the range of stars given (e.g., Fairness - Very hard to judge, so maybe a range from 1 star "Not fair at all", 2 stars "questionable", 3 stars "Hard to tell" or "N/A", 4 stars "fair", 5 stars "fair to a fault" or "very fair")

This is a very good suggestion. Make a thread in the Suggestions & Bug Reports forum.
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby Mr_Adams on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:41 pm

Fireside Poet wrote: Do these medals make me look fat?

most certainly
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby StevenJ on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:47 pm

I was told someone left me some ratings, but i can't find it

please help ... i'm so lonely without my ratings.
Sergeant 1st Class StevenJ

Postby lancehoch on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:49 pm

You cannot see them until after the game is archived (5 days after completion).
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby dskyline on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:55 pm

I also want to see the old system come back, I was very proud of my score of 3400 game over 250+ and 5- ( from silly players). If a player was a deadbeat other people could tell you this BEFORE you were stuck ina game with another deadbeat. I also do not care to play with foul mouth people who do nothing but cuss this, cuss that. The old system needs to come back please, BUT the medals are a nice new touch. =D>
Corporal dskyline

Postby Coleman on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:57 pm

I'm not sure how much whining there has been for people wanting to revert back to the older, flawed, feedback system. The new one is much better and there will always be those that resist change.

I'd just like to say I picked a good time to come back, as this is a very obvious step forward for the site. Thank you for your continued diligence in providing new features and rewards for members.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:58 pm

Coleman wrote:I'm not sure how much whining there has been for people wanting to revert back to the older, flawed, feedback system. The new one is much better and there will always be those that resist change.

I'd just like to say I picked a good time to come back, as this is a very obvious step forward for the site. Thank you for your continued diligence in providing new features and rewards for members.
100% agree. Every time a old thing changes, people complain for 2-3 weeks. then it is over and we get back to having fun and enjoying the better site.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby DukeToshiro on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:07 pm

Coleman wrote:I'm not sure how much whining there has been for people wanting to revert back to the older, flawed, feedback system.

If you're not sure how many people don't like the new no-comment system just look at the last 13 pages of this thread. On pretty much every single page there are multiple people complaining about the same thing. Any feedback system without comments is worthless and a horrible idea.
Captain DukeToshiro

Postby Pumpkin Heads on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:22 pm

OK finished my first games since the new ratings implementation.. so How do I rate them, I mean physically, what do I click? Perhaps a few bugs in the system?
Cadet Pumpkin Heads

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives