Conquer Club

Classic: Shapes and Classic: Art

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Classic: Shapes and Classic: Art

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:38 pm

lackattack wrote:
RjBeals wrote:Surely we can still have some form of a map based on continents.

Not with similar gameplay as Classic, I'm afraid :(

What I'm wondering is:

Why not a map based on a different place? It's much more enjoyable to play on a map that represents actual locations. If it's not a world map, then it doesn't resemble what we're avoiding in any way... right? The regions could even be oriented in a completely different way, further differing the look from what we're avoiding. In fact, it would look less like what we're avoiding that the current "classic art" map... "classic art" still resembles a world map fairly closely.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby Red6 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:50 am

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. CC may have originally been based on a board game, but it has since exceeded that concept in every conceivable respect. 100+ maps. Team play. "Spoils" options. The board game sucks ass compared to this.

I can't grasp why people are so concerned about the demise of a map which is, compared to the dozens and dozens and dozens of others that are available, pretty freaking average anyway. Nostalgia I guess. Fond memories die hard.

Me, I say let it go, the Classic map was nothing special and was, at best, so-so. There is so much better on offer. Celebrate what is good about CC. There's too much negativity on these forums.
Colonel Red6

Postby Ditocoaf on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:56 am

Red6 wrote:Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. CC may have originally been based on a board game, but it has since exceeded that concept in every conceivable respect. 100+ maps. Team play. "Spoils" options. The board game sucks ass compared to this.

I can't grasp why people are so concerned about the demise of a map which is, compared to the dozens and dozens and dozens of others that are available, pretty freaking average anyway. Nostalgia I guess. Fond memories die hard.

Me, I say let it go, the Classic map was nothing special and was, at best, so-so. There is so much better on offer. Celebrate what is good about CC. There's too much negativity on these forums.

I think people were mostly attracted to having one map that a lot of people knew very well. With the others, very few people know any of the deeper strategy; the level of play to be found on Classic was much higher than you could find anywhere else. Of course, I'm just assuming things, because I didn't used to play classic very often, but this seems to be why having a generic map with that particular gameplay is so important.

I just think that more interesting graphics can be made without infringing on any problems.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby Robinette on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:56 am

almost 24 hours later... and only 28 replies....

I think maybe this has been overlooked by most,
I'll go post a link in the GD

well, i must say it was nice to hear from Lack,
even though we all would have liked to hear more,
it was reassuring to hear a somewhat relaxed tone to his words...
Brigadier Robinette

Postby max is gr8 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:38 am

I think that we could make a risk based map, but with the bombardments etc. different borders, bonuses, remember the classic map was not perfect, SA was harder to hold and got same bonus as Australia...
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby Sven Hassel on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:47 am

max is gr8 wrote:I think that we could make a risk based map, but with the bombardments etc. different borders, bonuses, remember the classic map was not perfect, SA was harder to hold and got same bonus as Australia...

yes but i would have prefered SA instead of Australia anyday, just because of the possibility of thaking NA easily
"Bullets kill, grenades kill, bayonets kill, the cold kills. Death has a thousand faces. The worst of them all: the Court Martial."
Lieutenant Sven Hassel

Postby max is gr8 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:24 pm

Of course I think that we could just remove it completely, and only have it as a search only, the site will probably be better because of it, over 100 maps, if we take away one players move to others.
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby mpjh on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:36 pm

Nope, lose it and lose at least me.
Cadet mpjh

Postby kerntheconkerer on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:13 pm

The classic art is much better than the other attempt at classic, but the names are too confusing...
so was that just saying we are not going to be another reiteration of the classic map? :cry:
"Why so Serious?"
<(‘.’<) ^(‘.’)^ (>’.’)>
Corporal 1st Class kerntheconkerer

Postby john9blue on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:58 pm

The map isn't bad, but we should just make an abstract version instead. Like the art one, but with triangles and diamonds and different place names.

Oh, and there's no way that they have a copyright on "cards" and "attack" and "dice"... those need to come back ASAP. 8-)
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Sargeant_Pepper on Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:40 am

The idea for a game is not protected by copyright. The same is true of the name or title given to the game and of the method or methods for playing it.

Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author's expression in literary, artistic, or musical form. Copyright protection does not extend to any idea, system, method, device, or trademark material involved in the development, merchandising, or playing of a game. Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles.

Some material prepared in connection with a game may be subject to copyright if it contains a sufficient amount of literary or pictorial expression. For example, the text matter describing the rules of the game, or the pictorial matter appearing on the gameboard or container, may be registrable.
http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl108.html

Does this shed a little light?
Visit Felipe Alvarez's website.
Private 1st Class Sargeant_Pepper

Postby oaktown on Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:00 am

Interesting read, Sargeant... so while the basic principles of play can be reproduced, the specifics of a game are subject to copyright. Thus, using words like "cards," "attack," and "dice" may actually be in violation since they are "the text matter describing the rules of the game," and it could be argued in a court of law that reproducing the layout of somebody else's map violates the "pictorial matter appearing on the gameboard."
Captain oaktown

Postby danfrank on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:09 am

i would have to agree that using a picture of the map would violate copyright rules.. As far as the terminology goes words cannot be copyrighted (phrases can), if that was the case a game like monopoly would not exist.. in reality risk would not exist because monopoly came first.. It is also my belief that gameplay is copiable and i say this because of all the different types of first person( unsure if this is the correct term) war games available on the gaming systems produced by different manufacturers..
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby azezzo on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:38 am

Red6 wrote:Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. CC may have originally been based on a board game, but it has since exceeded that concept in every conceivable respect. 100+ maps. Team play. "Spoils" options. The board game sucks ass compared to this.

piss off!

so your saying screw all the people who became paying customers to this site so that they could play the classic map.
Captain azezzo

Postby Regs on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:48 am

I think people are confusing privileges with rights.
Lieutenant Regs

Postby max is gr8 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:57 am

I agree, Lack has vetoed a new classic map, it has to have new graphics and new game play,
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby azezzo on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:11 am

lackattack wrote:Fellow Conkies,

I want to apologize for the way things went down when, without any warning, we replaced our beloved Classic map with the "lucky charms" version. Same for the unusual way we came up with the Art version. Normally, we like to run things transparently and seek community input before making major website changes. This time that wasn't an option. Any further changes to these maps is also not an option. Believe me, I would love to bring back the original Classic as much as you do, but that is not in the best interest of our club.

I'd like to thank the "Star Chamber" for their stellar contribution - designing Classic: Art in just 12 hours to give all of us an interesting alternative to Classic: Shapes. I'd also like to thank the Map Foundry and all of you that showed support and patience during this period.

Now it's time for me to shift my focus back towards programming new features :ugeek:

Long live the Conquer Club!

lack i have a question for you, this site is almost 3 years old, at what point did you realize that getting rid of the classic map was a very real possibility? I doubt that it was only last week.
I'm guessing that your contingency plan was just create more maps, hope that the masses wouldnt mind losing 1 map when there was soooooo many other maps to play.
but what about all the members who joined this site for the classic map?
you have the stats, there have been more than a million classic games played on this site, thats about 1/3 'rd of all games
Captain azezzo

Postby Mensathis on Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:49 pm

I think Classic Art rocks.

It's a brilliant adaptation to a difficult situation, it looks enough like the Original Board to be playable, and I even like the graphics. Simple.

Get a grip, people. The mechanics make the game, not the graphics. In ten years time we could all be playing risk with sticks and gravel, so enjoy it while you can.
Corporal Mensathis

Postby KidWhisky on Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:02 pm

azzezo there is nothing stopping you from playing the classic map. Just because the visuals have changed the game play does not change in the least. The terits, continents, and bonuses are the same. If your to stupid to figure out how the new map works then you should probably be wearing a helmet and playing over at landgrab. Your 25 dollars a year gives you the privilage of taking advantage of all the site has to offer including playing more than 4 games at once, be it classic or other maps. So get over it, adjust your play to the same map that you have been playing for however long you have been here and quit mucking up the forums with negativity. No one wants to hear it!!!
Baby, When You Look This Good, You Don't Have To KNOW Anything.

"You? Whats To Know? Your A Punk, A Rank Amature...Still If It's A Whoopin Your A Wantin!
Captain KidWhisky

Postby azezzo on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:35 am

kid whiskey thats very intelligent talk coming from a player who doesnt play the classic map much
i havent gone out and bought the other hasbro risk maps in the stores so why should i here?
Captain azezzo

Postby n00blet on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:46 am

azezzo wrote:kid whiskey thats very intelligent talk coming from a player who doesnt play the classic map much
i havent gone out and bought the other hasbro risk maps in the stores so why should i here?

From this statement I have produced the following code to determine your worth in CC (and therefore, life):

if (playerUsername.equals("azezzo"))
{
system.out.println("Your worth is: " + (gamesPlayedOnClassic + RiskPoints - GamesNotPlayedOnClassic);
}

else
{
system.out.println("Your worth is: " + ((gamesPlayedOnClassic + RiskPoints - GamesNotPlayedOnClassic) / 100));
}
Captain n00blet

Postby KidWhisky on Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:40 am

Thanks for the wall post azzezo. You bet I'm a Turtle shell suck ass. Lack has provided me with a site were I can enjoy a world domination game with people I enjoy playing with. Without this site I would probably still be trying to get my friends to play the board game on weekends.

Before you decide that I don’t play on the classic map you should take a look at the last 5 pages of my games played. I play classic map more than any other map. I am mostly a tourney player these days so I play whatever map is assigned to the tourney however Classic is still my favorite map. The new graphics have not changed the game play at all. It is still the same map with the same strategy. I am not suggesting that you quit playing classic. I am saying that you need to get over the new graphics and still enjoy the map for what it is.
Baby, When You Look This Good, You Don't Have To KNOW Anything.

"You? Whats To Know? Your A Punk, A Rank Amature...Still If It's A Whoopin Your A Wantin!
Captain KidWhisky

Postby azezzo on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:09 pm

whiskey you have played the classic map less than 18% of your games, i did look at your games played when i said that you didnt play it much,
regardless, i do realize that no matter what i say, it wont change things
Captain azezzo

Postby hecter on Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:43 pm

What about me? 42% of my games are on Classic and I'm doing just fine. Or wacicha? 88% of his games are on Classic and he's doing just fine as well. The maps we have, Classic Art being actually pretty nice, are still, for all intensive purposes, Classic. Yes, it sucks that the map we knew and love is gone, but it isn't coming back and you've got to accept that and move on. Kthxbai.
In heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine, in heaven... Everything is fine... You got your things, and I've got mine.
Private 1st Class hecter

Postby n00blet on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:12 pm

hecter wrote:What about me? 42% of my games are on Classic and I'm doing just fine. Or wacicha? 88% of his games are on Classic and he's doing just fine as well. The maps we have, Classic Art being actually pretty nice, are still, for all intensive purposes, Classic. Yes, it sucks that the map we knew and love is gone, but it isn't coming back and you've got to accept that and move on. Kthxbai.

=D>
Captain n00blet

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives