Conquer Club

Is "anal retentive" hyphenated?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Is "anal retentive" hyphenated?

Postby KoolBak on Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:02 am

The age-old, burning question uppermost in every mind....

Let me remedy that for you:

If you use a compound modifier as an adjectival predicate (AFTER the noun phrase, as in "Sam is anal retentive") then you do not hyphenate.

However, if you use as an attributive compound (modifiers prior to the noun phrase), it is hyphenated (as in "Sam is an anal-retentive editor")


You're welcome :D
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
User avatar
Private 1st Class KoolBak
 
Posts: 6973
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:03 pm
Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest

Re: Is "anal retentive" hyphenated?

Postby Pack Rat on Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:31 am

KoolBak wrote:The age-old, burning question uppermost in every mind....

Let me remedy that for you:

If you use a compound modifier as an adjectival predicate (AFTER the noun phrase, as in "Sam is anal retentive") then you do not hyphenate.

However, if you use as an attributive compound (modifiers prior to the noun phrase), it is hyphenated (as in "Sam is an anal-retentive editor")


You're welcome :D


Anal fetish?
User avatar
Corporal Pack Rat
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:03 pm

Re: Is "anal retentive" hyphenated?

Postby Lonous on Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:55 am

Fetish? no.
Proper etiquette for posting when a person finds themselves in a forum up to their ears in assholes? Yes.

KB dispensing sage wisdom here. Thanks brother.
User avatar
Major Lonous
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:34 am

Re: Is "anal retentive" hyphenated?

Postby KoolBak on Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:22 pm

I'm yer huckleberry :lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
User avatar
Private 1st Class KoolBak
 
Posts: 6973
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:03 pm
Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest

Re: Is "anal retentive" hyphenated?

Postby Votanic on Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:50 pm

I see what you did here.
User avatar
Lieutenant Votanic
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:48 pm

Re: Is "anal retentive" hyphenated?

Postby Votanic on Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:51 pm

I see what you did here.

btw, the opposite condition is anal expulsive.
Last edited by Votanic on Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Lieutenant Votanic
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:48 pm

Re: Is "anal retentive" hyphenated?

Postby Pack Rat on Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:22 pm

Votanic wrote:I see what you did here.

btw, the opposite condition is is anal expulsive.


Anal expulsive fixation describes an adult who is rebellious toward authority. They are irresponsible, disorderly and wasteful. These traits are a reaction to overly passive toilet training. The child that creates a big mess at the most inconvenient time is like an adult who acts irresponsibly.
User avatar
Corporal Pack Rat
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:03 pm

Re: Is "anal retentive" hyphenated?

Postby Votanic on Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:46 pm

Pack Rat wrote:
Votanic wrote:I see what you did here.

btw, the opposite condition is is anal expulsive.


Anal expulsive fixation describes an adult who is rebellious toward authority. They are irresponsible, disorderly and wasteful. These traits are a reaction to overly passive toilet training. The child that creates a big mess at the most inconvenient time is like an adult who acts irresponsibly.

Thank god, no one around here has that problem, right?
User avatar
Lieutenant Votanic
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:48 pm

Re: Is "anal retentive" hyphenated?

Postby Pack Rat on Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:38 pm

Votanic wrote:
Pack Rat wrote:
Votanic wrote:I see what you did here.

btw, the opposite condition is is anal expulsive.


Anal expulsive fixation describes an adult who is rebellious toward authority. They are irresponsible, disorderly and wasteful. These traits are a reaction to overly passive toilet training. The child that creates a big mess at the most inconvenient time is like an adult who acts irresponsibly.

Thank god, no one around here has that problem, right?



It's running rampant here!!!
User avatar
Corporal Pack Rat
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:03 pm

Re: Is "anal retentive" hyphenated?

Postby Pack Rat on Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:38 pm

Votanic wrote:
Pack Rat wrote:
Votanic wrote:I see what you did here.

btw, the opposite condition is is anal expulsive.


Anal expulsive fixation describes an adult who is rebellious toward authority. They are irresponsible, disorderly and wasteful. These traits are a reaction to overly passive toilet training. The child that creates a big mess at the most inconvenient time is like an adult who acts irresponsibly.

Thank god, no one around here has that problem, right?



It's running rampant here!!!
User avatar
Corporal Pack Rat
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:03 pm

Re: Is "anal retentive" hyphenated?

Postby Votanic on Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:39 pm

Pack Rat wrote:
Votanic wrote:
Pack Rat wrote:
Votanic wrote:I see what you did here.

btw, the opposite condition is is anal expulsive.

Anal expulsive fixation describes an adult who is rebellious toward authority. They are irresponsible, disorderly and wasteful. These traits are a reaction to overly passive toilet training. The child that creates a big mess at the most inconvenient time is like an adult who acts irresponsibly.

Thank god, no one around here has that problem, right?

It's running rampant here!!!

See, when you say things like this, it makes me think Jusplay hacked your account.
User avatar
Lieutenant Votanic
 
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:48 pm

Re: Is "anal retentive" hyphenated?

Postby KoolBak on Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:03 pm

This is gold :lol:

Fascinating shit....I'm glad youse guys be ejumuhcayted!

Honestly, the stupid hyphen question low-key bugged me for probably 40 years. I looked it up last year :lol:

And I had an anal expulsive the other day; luckily I made it to the head.
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
User avatar
Private 1st Class KoolBak
 
Posts: 6973
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:03 pm
Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest

Re: Is "anal retentive" hyphenated?

Postby Pack Rat on Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:14 am

KoolBak wrote:This is gold :lol:

Fascinating shit....I'm glad youse guys be ejumuhcayted!

Honestly, the stupid hyphen question low-key bugged me for probably 40 years. I looked it up last year :lol:

And I had an anal expulsive the other day; luckily I made it to the head.






Edumacated?
Term for a person who has a good education but is still an idiot. Simple observation shows that 80% of people are edumacated.
User avatar
Corporal Pack Rat
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:03 pm

Re: Is "anal retentive" hyphenated?

Postby KoolBak on Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:35 am

:lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
User avatar
Private 1st Class KoolBak
 
Posts: 6973
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:03 pm
Location: The beautiful Pacific Northwest


Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users