Conquer Club

Things Liberalism Leads To.......

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Things Liberalism Leads To.......

Postby Mr_Adams on Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:03 pm

spurgistan wrote:
Mr_Adams wrote:
spurgistan wrote:Also, saying you see Jesse on tv talking about race more than the KKK is because Jesse Jackson is not some black version of the Klan. He's more than willing to engage in the discourse of participation, however loudly, which I don't think I need to tell you what the KKK thinks about that. No false equivalences here, plz.

:roll: When's the last time you heard about any klan activity? They are mostly silent, if existent. Jackson, on the other hand, won't shut up. I'm not saying he's worse, but he's the one who brings the topic up still. :roll:

You think the Klan doesn't talk about the race issue anymore? What do you think they do, mah-jong?

You, sir, are an idiot.
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby Timminz on Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:33 pm

Mr_Adams wrote:
spurgistan wrote:
Mr_Adams wrote:
spurgistan wrote:Also, saying you see Jesse on tv talking about race more than the KKK is because Jesse Jackson is not some black version of the Klan. He's more than willing to engage in the discourse of participation, however loudly, which I don't think I need to tell you what the KKK thinks about that. No false equivalences here, plz.

:roll: When's the last time you heard about any klan activity? They are mostly silent, if existent. Jackson, on the other hand, won't shut up. I'm not saying he's worse, but he's the one who brings the topic up still. :roll:

You think the Klan doesn't talk about the race issue anymore? What do you think they do, mah-jong?

You, sir, are an idiot.

I don't have anything to add. I just really enjoyed this post so much, that I wanted it posted again.
Captain Timminz

Postby john9blue on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:51 pm

MeDeFe wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
radiojake wrote:Humans have diversity - I'm not disputing that. But the whole 'race concept' is very much entangled with ideas of white legitmacy and superiority. That's how the whole concept came about. You can't ignore the historical significance of abstract concepts like this. The discourse has been normalised now and every takes the idea of 'race' as natural, as if it's always been here. It hasn't always been here, 'race' is only about 400 - 500 years old. Before this it was broken down to 'Us' and 'them' (them being barbarians.. not of us)

Whether the idea of "race" is used to advocate the idea of "White Male" dominance is not my argument, merely that race is a completely valid biological property. I'm saying that, if given another 10, 20, or more thousand years, speciation would have occurred between the various populations of humans. Some may choose to use this as "us vs. them," but I don't really care about that.

-TG

I believe you may be overestimating its validity. You can even crossbreed a bottlenose dolphin from the Atlantic with a false killer whale from the Pacific. There have been reports of hybrids between blue whales and humpback whales in the wild.

The idea of race is really just a way of compartmentalizing the world to make it seem more orderly.

i don't see a problem with that though, except when people use it for selfish ends (but they can do that with many other areas of science, so the point is moot).
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:56 pm

To me, race is in the same category as things like height, hair color, poop color, etc.

Yes, it exists. You can do general studies like the average IQ of brown haired people is higher than that of the average IQ of blond haired people (I'm not hating on blonds, I'm just picking arbitrary hair colors. If you really care, I'll say "the average IQ of tall people is higher than the average IQ of short people".). But these numbers shouldn't mean jack on an individual basis. If you see a short person and a tall person, you shouldn't automatically assume that the taller person is smarter.

If you do, your testicles should be removed and you should be fed to the modern Donner party
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby patrickaa317 on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:00 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:To make "flipping" work, you have to live in an "up and coming" area, PLUS have knowledge of home repairs that you can do yourself. That requires skill, not just knowledge. A LOT Of people think its easy.. and wind up losing their shirts.

And that is why some people can make a profit at it. If everyone had the knowledge and skill to do it, then there would be no profit in it because everyone would be flipping a house. :roll:
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby john9blue on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:13 pm

Army of GOD wrote:To me, race is in the same category as things like height, hair color, poop color, etc.

Yes, it exists. You can do general studies like the average IQ of brown haired people is higher than that of the average IQ of blond haired people (I'm not hating on blonds, I'm just picking arbitrary hair colors. If you really care, I'll say "the average IQ of tall people is higher than the average IQ of short people".). But these numbers shouldn't mean jack on an individual basis. If you see a short person and a tall person, you shouldn't automatically assume that the taller person is smarter.

If you do, your testicles should be removed and you should be fed to the modern Donner party

yeah, but when are we allowed to start judging? like, the average raven is smarter than the average crow. is it bad to assume that the raven is smarter if you see two of them together? what about one person dressed in a business suit, and another dressed in rags. who would you assume is smarter?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
Captain john9blue

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:18 pm

I don't assume either is smarter. Then again, intelligence is such a loosely defined term. I know people will disagree like fucking crazy, but IQ is, in my opinion, the best measurement of intelligence (thus higher IQ means smarter to me, inb4 someone disagrees).

But a person dressed in a suit and a person dressed in rags is a lot different than a black person and a white person. The suit tells me they're successful, and intelligence does help with success (though it isn't everything), so I'd guess they're smarter. If I see a black guy and a white guy in the same clothing, I wouldn't assume either was smarter than the other.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Nobunaga on Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:52 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Nobunaga wrote:... Anybody in the United States who is not in prison, or in some other way physically or mentally prevented, has the ability to work hard (both physically and mentally) to accumulate a bit of capital to take a risk.

Some captitol, but not enough to make real money unless you are very, very lucky. NOTE, I did NOT say "skill", I said pure luck. And pretending otherwise means you are living in a dream world, not reality..

... I'm not talking about "real money" if you mean millions. I'm talking tens of thousands, padding the retirement accounts and fixing up the house I actually live in with nice counter tops and the like.

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Nobunaga wrote:...
... Flipping a house is a risk that can pay off in a big way, if you go into it having studied past examples of success and failure, to cite one example (I made just over 11K on my first flip).

cute, but actually you prove MY point, not yours. To make "flipping" work, you have to live in an "up and coming" area, PLUS have knowledge of home repairs that you can do yourself. That requires skill, not just knowledge. A LOT Of people think its easy.. and wind up losing their shirts...

... They lose their shirts due to... (omg, here comes that "work" word again...) a lack of knowledge and hard work (aquisition of knowledge is work).

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Nobunaga wrote:...
... Failure is always a possibility, which is why the rewards are deserved.

I see, so according to you what matters is risk, not effort, not knowledge, not hard work... all that matters is that you were lucky.

Yep, that sounds about right.

... and that is why so many poor people "invest" in the lottery instead of putting out effort to actually work. Because they KNOW that that system does not reward work, not really.

... It amazes me that you attribute success to luck to such a great extent. You've said this before and I find it fascinating that anybody can believe this. How incredibly depressing.

... Certainly nothing is 100%. But when you flip a house (to stick to the example I originally presented), you work your arse off (that's effort, not luck) fixing up the dump you bought. You read continuously on subjects such as plumbing, electrical work, local property taxes, area flood plains, lead paint (found in too many older homes) and how to deal with it, insurance comparisons... etc..etc.. This is also hard work (notice I said work, not luck).

... So you go into it, having busted your arse, and your brain, now having maybe 75% to 80% shot at making some money. It's not 100%. But the only reason it's anything more than 15% is because you worked your arse off. (there's that damned word again, "work"). Get it?

... If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

... So now I've a question for you, Player. Let's take two random kids with the same general mental abilities and put them both through college (same college).

... Kid A decides to major in material science and metallurgy. He parties a lot, hangs out with friends all the time, rarely studies and so does poorly on his tests... ends up on academic probation... then eventually drops out.

... Kid B also majors material science and metallurgy. This kid would like to go to the big parties but sacrifices that fun due to the intense work requirements of his studies. Kid B has some friends, but he leaves his social life mostly to weekends. He studies like a madman, working his arse off, and graduates in 4 years, with honors.

... Kid A winds up working in his uncle's company, selling seed and chemicals to farmers. His earnings are sub-par (let's say, $35,000).

... Kid B, after he gets his masters, passes on the doctorate and goes straight to work for an international company building industrial drills to drill for oil and gas. His earnings are great (let's say, $175,000).

... You honestly attribute this disparity to luck?

Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby radiojake on Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:55 pm

1000th view of this thread
-- share what ya got --
Sergeant 1st Class radiojake

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:18 am

Army of GOD wrote:To me, race is in the same category as things like height, hair color, poop color, etc.

You seem just a tad butthurt about the underlined scientific FACT.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Army of GOD on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:20 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:

http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/001719.html

=(
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:27 am

Army of GOD wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/001719.html

=(

Solution: Wear high heels.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby b.k. barunt on Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:17 am

Awshit. Are you into that again? Please tell me you haven't pulled that dreadful purple shawl out of the closet . . .

Honibaz
Cook b.k. barunt

Postby john9blue on Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:04 pm

on topic: liberalism will lead to short people getting tax breaks/reaping the benefits of a.a. from the government
Captain john9blue

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:17 pm

It will lead to crazy people like you and me to accept some things we could not accept.

If ya know what I mean... <wiggles eyebrows>
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Mr_Adams on Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:55 pm

It leads to laws like 'No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour'. that isn't made up.
Captain Mr_Adams

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,