Conquer Club

Post Any Evidence For God Here

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Post Any Evidence For God Here

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Thu May 09, 2013 7:05 pm

NoSurvivors wrote:I asked my grandmother (who is extremely religious, however the sweetest old lady you'll ever meet), why god allows suffering.

Her response was this:

God did not create suffering. However he allowed it to happen.

When the first two people (Adam and eve as per the bible) were created and put in the garden of Eden, they were told that "you can eat any of the fruit in here but not one from a certain tree" (he told them what tree I just don't know what one it was lol). They were told that if temptation were to get the best of them, they would suffer the conveniences of disobeying their creator.

God let them have a choice. If we were all simply made with love of god programmed into us what is the point in making us in the first place? Earning love is a much better feeling than just having it. Also; if fit did not give us choice, what kind of god is that? Not a very fair one.

So yeah, long story short they ate from the tree and now we are exposed to evils as the consequence of them giving in to temptation against god. (I think that I show the story went, vice likely knows more than me about it).

I think that god (if he exusts) is all fair. He gave us choice and that is a pretty fair deal. I'm not gonna reveal anything about what I personally believe, but yeah just trying to give poor vice a break from the mean people that seem to lurk this thread..

Hats off to you man, sticking by what you believe.

Point 1. BBS is right. You have to define god first for any meaningful discussion to occur. (I'd say tou have to define him in a falsifiable way, but let's take it one at a time)

Point 2. Is the god of Adam and Eve omniscient and omnipotent?
If yes, when he built the blueprints of Adam and Eve he knew that the way he designed them would result in them disobeying (if he didn't know this, then he's not omniscient). Further he could have designed them in such a way that they would have chosen not to betray him (if he couldn't do this, then he's not omnipotent). Therefore, god created Adam and Eve knowing perfectly well that they would inevitably rebel and then punished them for rebelling. This makes exactly as much sense as me punching my computer because the computer program I wrote has a bug. (or, as Fulke Greville more eloquently puts it, human are "created sick, commanded to be well")

Point 3. You seem like a reasonable fellow. I suggest you read a couple more pages of this thread before you feel too sorry for viceroy.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Thu May 09, 2013 9:15 pm

No Survivors wrote:God did not create suffering. However he allowed it to happen.

If God created everything, then ipso facto he created suffering. To say otherwise implies that he is not omnipotent and therefore not "god."

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri May 10, 2013 10:17 am

Haggis_McMutton wrote:Point 3. You seem like a reasonable fellow. I suggest you read a couple more pages of this thread before you feel too sorry for viceroy

ImageImage
ImageImage

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby GreecePwns on Fri May 10, 2013 10:54 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
No Survivors wrote:God did not create suffering. However he allowed it to happen.

If God created everything, then ipso facto he created suffering. To say otherwise implies that he is not omnipotent and therefore not "god."

-TG

Well, a more complete response would be this:

If God created everything, then he created suffering. Therefore he is not omnibenevolent.
If God did not create suffering, then he didn't create everything. Therefore he is not omnipotent.

So the only belief that is consistent with omnipotence is non-omnibenevolence.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri May 10, 2013 11:03 am

I think I may have posted this earlier, but it seems relevant again. It has been a while since I read the article though: An Imperfect God [Opinionator from the NY Times]. Check it out.

--Andy

Postby Gillipig on Fri May 10, 2013 11:07 am

Damn, is this thread still alive!? What a waste of time, we all know religious people can't be reached through logic, the only way they learn something is if you beat it into their head with a book and threaten them with eternal damnation if they don't believe what you're telling them. Not coincidentally that was how most of them learned to "accept" god in the first place. "What has been beaten in can only be beaten out" Oops I suppose that means I encourage violence against believers, I can't say they didn't have it coming, as they usually have been the ones resorting to violence.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Ray Rider on Fri May 10, 2013 11:34 am

GreecePwns wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:

-TG

If God created everything, then he created suffering. Therefore he is not omnibenevolent.
If God did not create suffering, then he didn't create everything. Therefore he is not omnipotent.

Or perhaps a simple misunderstanding of God's character has occurred in this old attempt at pigeonholing Him.

Gillipig wrote:Damn, is this thread still alive!? What a waste of time, we all know religious people can't be reached through logic, the only way they learn something is if you beat it into their head with a book and threaten them with eternal damnation if they don't believe what you're telling them. Not coincidentally that was how most of them learned to "accept" god in the first place. "What has been beaten in can only be beaten out" Oops I suppose that means I encourage violence against believers, I can't say they didn't have it coming, as they usually have been the ones resorting to violence.

Interesting how you guys respond to young, inexperience people whose logic is easy to poke holes in, but when a "religious" person comes along who has years of experience and has actually thought things through, you ignore him (such as D1G's massive rebuttal a couple pages back). Also, I'm not sure why you're intimating that the religious have a monopoly on violence; as I've mentioned multiple times here before, my grandparents fled an atheistic country (Russia) in which the authorities, raped, murdered, and sent off millions (thousands within their small group of pacifists, the Mennonites) to the gulags all the while banning and burning their Bibles and religious literature. Violence is a symptom of the sin which infects us all--theists, polytheists, and materialists alike.
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Postby crispybits on Fri May 10, 2013 11:47 am

Ray Rider wrote:Interesting how you guys respond to young, inexperience people whose logic is easy to poke holes in, but when a "religious" person comes along who has years of experience and has actually thought things through, you ignore him (such as D1G's massive rebuttal a couple pages back).

For the record, I'm still writing the response to D1G's post, it's just taking longer than I hoped because of how well argued it is (I still disagree with much of it, but I'll give credit where it's due for good writing)
Major crispybits

Postby rdsrds2120 on Fri May 10, 2013 11:53 am

AndyDufresne wrote:I think I may have posted this earlier, but it seems relevant again. It has been a while since I read the article though: An Imperfect God [Opinionator from the NY Times]. Check it out.

--Andy

That was something to ponder about.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri May 10, 2013 12:16 pm

Ray Rider wrote:
GreecePwns wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:

-TG

Or perhaps a simple misunderstanding of God's character has occurred in this old attempt at pigeonholing Him.

Well, the 'misunderstanding' is applying logic/philosophy to god or deities. The means for 'understanding' God is through revelation--not knowledge or logic. It's two completely different games, and problems occur when either side wants to bring their rules into the other side's game.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Viceroy63 on Fri May 10, 2013 4:58 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:

-TG

If you want to compare my thoughts to something then here is an analogy.

God is light. God knows that he is light and that there is no darkness in him. He also knows that where there is no creation then there is nothing to cast the shadow of darkness. So did God know that by creating a Universe, that shadows of darkness would automatically be created by the substance (matter) of creation? Yes God knew perfectly well that it would. Did he intend for darkness to exist for ever? No he did not. Did God then create the shadows of darkness or is it simply a by product of matter (creation) blocking light from the source of all light?

Eventually Beings of light as God beings created in the very image and likeness or Lightness of God will be created and bring light to every darkened corner of the material universe and thus flush out all darkness from existence. But before that can happen and in order for beings of light to do that, God's ultimate creation must compare the light with the darkness in the universe and then decide if they want to hide in the darkness or to bring light to every shadowy corner of the universe. Eventually there will simply be no place to hide for no darkness will exist. And that is Gods plan for all sin and suffering to cease from existence. But first the problem must be addressed. The very source is the matter that blocks that light.

God knew that Adam and Eve would choose to sin and that there really was no other way possible for the creation to come into existence. Just as our characters are formed through our growing up years, so also must the creation come to a point of growing up. And just as parents allow their children to learn from the error of their ways, So does God, the ultimate Father and Creator, allow his children to come to learn from the error of their ways. Does that mean that God intends for the suffering of human nature to continue on and on for ever? Once the lesson is learned does the classroom continue? Are we all still in high school or have some of us graduated?

God has a plan and it is revealed in his word for those who will study the Holy Bible. And who we end up becoming will depend largely on who we really want to be. And that is all part of God's plan. We Must Choose! There are things that God can not do. He can not create moral and righteous character in a creature who does not want to go through the process. For this reason those who choose not to continue into eternity (as beings of light), will simply not have to. The best thing that God created is Death. Everything in this universe must die. That is the nature of the created universe.

Simply put, that is where the process ends for those who simply do not want to live God's way. There is no choice in the matter. The gift of eternal life is given to all who choose to obey God, out of faith in the Son of God. Those who simply don't want to, don't have to. They will simply be allowed to just die in a lake of fire where all of their sufferings and sin will also end (be destroyed) as well. It's a very simple plan really. God created us to choose. We see the effect of the choice in our lives or we ignore the facts. God holds out a life rope and say's Obey me and take the rope (live life my way) or die. We make the choice to live God's way and live, or be cynical and ignorant and just die. Our choice. The final judgement will declare for all of eternity just how stupid and evil we are and just how good and wise is God. After all, the final judgement is also for the putting to rest all of those stupid comment's, "If God is all..., then why....?" God also will be judged on that day by all of His creation.

We either will become beings of light and sons and daughters of God or we will become beings who will hide in darkness until there is no more darkness to hide in because all of the creation will become like something transparent and reflective of God's light and then the problem of darkness, sin and suffering will end. It simply wont go on for ever. But just as our true character is formed by our growing up years so also is who we will become for all of eternity is formed into us, in the years of our lives. This then requires that we look upon both light and darkness, Good and evil, so that we can make that choice. It's simply our choice to make. God does the work, we make the choice.

Will you learn and make the right choice?
Last edited by Viceroy63 on Sat May 11, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
An Unproven Hypothesis; The Rise of Ignorance.
Ultimate Proof of Creation. Click the show tab below.
show
Major Viceroy63

Location: A little back water, hill billy hick place called Earth.

Postby john9blue on Fri May 10, 2013 7:34 pm

Gillipig wrote:Damn, is this thread still alive!? What a waste of time, we all know religious people can't be reached through logic, the only way they learn something is if you beat it into their head with a book and threaten them with eternal damnation if they don't believe what you're telling them. Not coincidentally that was how most of them learned to "accept" god in the first place. "What has been beaten in can only be beaten out" Oops I suppose that means I encourage violence against believers, I can't say they didn't have it coming, as they usually have been the ones resorting to violence.

you don't have to beat christianity out of rebellious teenagers with fundamentalist parents, they become atheists all by their little selves!
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Fri May 10, 2013 9:14 pm

greecepwns wrote:If God created everything, then he created suffering. Therefore he is not omnibenevolent.

Well, yeah.

Viceroy wrote:...die in a lake of fire...Will you learn and make the right choice?

I won't make your choice, no, because it's pointless, a waste of time, and is destructive at that. Also, there's no mention of a lake of fire in the Bible.

Notwithstanding your silly rationalizations for the existence of a creator, (let's assume he's real) then I have no desire to fall in line. Your god can kick rocks.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby comic boy on Fri May 10, 2013 9:18 pm

Viceroy63 wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:

-TG

The Spag Monster is light. The Spag Monster knows that he is light and that there is no darkness in him. He also knows that where there is no creation then there is nothing to cast the shadow of darkness. So did The Spag Monster know that by creating a Universe, that shadows of darkness would automatically be created by the substance (matter) of creation? Yes The Spag Monster knew perfectly well that it would. Did he intend for darkness to exist for ever? No he did not. Did The Spag Monster then create the shadows of darkness or is it simply a by product of matter (creation) blocking light from the source of all light?

Eventually Beings of light as The Spag Monster's beings created in the very image and likeness or Lightness of The Spag Monster will be created and bring light to every darkened corner of the material universe and thus flush out all darkness from existence. But before that can happen and in order for beings of light to do that, The Spag Monster's ultimate creation must compare the light with the darkness in the universe and then decide if they want to hide in the darkness or to bring light to every shadowy corner of the universe. Eventually there will simply be no place to hide for no darkness will exist. And that is The Spag Monster's plan for all sin and suffering to cease from existence. But first the problem must be addressed. The very source is the matter that blocks that light.

The Spag Monster knew that Adam and Steve would choose to eat and that there really was no other way possible for the holy carbs to come into existence. Just as our characters are formed through our growing up years, so also must the creation come to a point of growing up. And just as parents allow their children to learn from the error of their ways, So does The Spag Monster, the ultimate Father and Creator, allow his children to come to learn from the error of their ways. Does that mean that The Spag Monster intends for the suffering of human nature to continue on and on for ever? Once the lesson is learned does the classroom continue? Are we all still in high school or have some of us graduated?

The Spag Monster has a plan and it is revealed in his word for those who will study the Holy Carb guide. And who we end up becoming will depend largely on who we really want to be. And that is all part of The Spag Monsters plan. We Must Choose! There are things that The Spag Monster can not do. He can not create moral and righteous character in a creature who does not want to go through the process. For this reason those who choose not to continue into eternity (as beings of light), will simply not have to. The best thing that The Spag Monster created is Death. Everything in this universe must die. That is the nature of the created universe.

Simply put, that is where the process ends for those who simply do not want to live The Spag Monster's way. There is no choice in the matter. The gift of eternal carbs is given to all who choose to obey The Spag Monster, out of faith in The Spag Monster. Those who simply don't want to, don't have to. They will simply be allowed to just die in a lake of fire where all of their sufferings and sin will also end (be destroyed) as well. It's a very simple plan really. The Spag Monster created us to choose. We see the effect of the choice in our lives or we ignore the facts. The Spag Monster holds out a life rope and say's Obey me and take the rope (live life my way) or die. We make the choice to live The Spag Monster's way and live, or be cynical and ignorant and just die. Our choice. The final judgement will declare for all of eternity just how stupid and evil we are and just how good and wise is The Spag Monster. After all, the final judgement is also for the putting to rest all of those stupid comment's, "If The Spag Monster is all..., then why....?" The Spag Monster also will be judged on that day by all of His creation.

We either will become beings of light and sons and daughters of The Spag Monster or we will become beings who will hide in darkness until there is no more darkness to hide in because all of the creation will become like something transparent and reflective of The Spag Monster's light and then the problem of darkness, sin and suffering will end. It simply wont go on for ever. But just as our true character is formed by our growing up years so also is who we will become for all of eternity is formed into us, in the years of our lives. This then requires that we look upon both light and darkness, Good and evil, so that we can make that choice. It's simply our choice to make. The Spag Monster does the work, we make the choice.

Will you learn and choose the right carb?

I edited it as best I could but it still seems like a lot of fabricated nonsense to me.
Im a TOFU miSfit
Brigadier comic boy

Postby Viceroy63 on Sat May 11, 2013 10:41 am

comic boy wrote:
Viceroy63 wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:

-TG

God is light. God knows that he is light and that there is no darkness in him. He also knows that where there is no creation then there is nothing to cast the shadow of darkness. So did God know that by creating a Universe, that shadows of darkness would automatically be created by the substance (matter) of creation? Yes God knew perfectly well that it would. Did he intend for darkness to exist for ever? No he did not. Did God then create the shadows of darkness or is it simply a by product of matter (creation) blocking light from the source of all light?

Eventually Beings of light as God beings created in the very image and likeness or Lightness of God will be created and bring light to every darkened corner of the material universe and thus flush out all darkness from existence. But before that can happen and in order for beings of light to do that, God's ultimate creation must compare the light with the darkness in the universe and then decide if they want to hide in the darkness or to bring light to every shadowy corner of the universe. Eventually there will simply be no place to hide for no darkness will exist. And that is Gods plan for all sin and suffering to cease from existence. But first the problem must be addressed. The very source is the matter that blocks that light.

God knew that Adam and Eve would choose to sin and that there really was no other way possible for the creation to come into existence. Just as our characters are formed through our growing up years, so also must the creation come to a point of growing up. And just as parents allow their children to learn from the error of their ways, So does God, the ultimate Father and Creator, allow his children to come to learn from the error of their ways. Does that mean that God intends for the suffering of human nature to continue on and on for ever? Once the lesson is learned does the classroom continue? Are we all still in high school or have some of us graduated?

God has a plan and it is revealed in his word for those who will study the Holy Bible. And who we end up becoming will depend largely on who we really want to be. And that is all part of God's plan. We Must Choose! There are things that God can not do. He can not create moral and righteous character in a creature who does not want to go through the process. For this reason those who choose not to continue into eternity (as beings of light), will simply not have to. The best thing that God created is Death. Everything in this universe must die. That is the nature of the created universe.

Simply put, that is where the process ends for those who simply do not want to live God's way. There is no choice in the matter. The gift of eternal life is given to all who choose to obey God, out of faith in the Son of God. Those who simply don't want to, don't have to. They will simply be allowed to just die in a lake of fire where all of their sufferings and sin will also end (be destroyed) as well. It's a very simple plan really. God created us to choose. We see the effect of the choice in our lives or we ignore the facts. God holds out a life rope and say's Obey me and take the rope (live life my way) or die. We make the choice to live God's way and live, or be cynical and ignorant and just die. Our choice. The final judgement will declare for all of eternity just how stupid and evil we are and just how good and wise is God. After all, the final judgement is also for the putting to rest all of those stupid comment's, "If God is all..., then why....?" God also will be judged on that day by all of His creation.

We either will become beings of light and sons and daughters of God or we will become beings who will hide in darkness until there is no more darkness to hide in because all of the creation will become like something transparent and reflective of God's light and then the problem of darkness, sin and suffering will end. It simply wont go on for ever. But just as our true character is formed by our growing up years so also is who we will become for all of eternity is formed into us, in the years of our lives. This then requires that we look upon both light and darkness, Good and evil, so that we can make that choice. It's simply our choice to make. God does the work, we make the choice.

Will you learn and make the right choice?.

I edited it as best I could but it still seems like a lot of fabricated nonsense to me.

Well, certainly if no one considers you a troll for doing what you did then no one will consider me a troll for correcting the error or your ways. Too bad you don't have any contributions to make on this topic, but I guess that would require original thought.
show
Major Viceroy63

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat May 11, 2013 11:26 am

Viceroy63 wrote:Too bad you don't have any contributions to make on this topic, but I guess that would require original thought.

show

--Andy

Postby Gillipig on Sat May 11, 2013 12:10 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
Viceroy63 wrote:Too bad you don't have any contributions to make on this topic, but I guess that would require original thought.

show

--Andy

Lol, I liked Spock before but now I like him even more.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Phatscotty on Sat May 11, 2013 12:15 pm

Logic can show there is a God.

Major Phatscotty

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat May 11, 2013 12:28 pm

Viceroy63 wrote:
comic boy wrote:
Viceroy63 wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:

-TG

The Spag Monster is light. The Spag Monster knows that he is light and that there is no darkness in him. He also knows that where there is no creation then there is nothing to cast the shadow of darkness. So did The Spag Monster know that by creating a Universe, that shadows of darkness would automatically be created by the substance (matter) of creation? Yes The Spag Monster knew perfectly well that it would. Did he intend for darkness to exist for ever? No he did not. Did The Spag Monster then create the shadows of darkness or is it simply a by product of matter (creation) blocking light from the source of all light?

Eventually Beings of light as The Spag Monster's beings created in the very image and likeness or Lightness of The Spag Monster will be created and bring light to every darkened corner of the material universe and thus flush out all darkness from existence. But before that can happen and in order for beings of light to do that, The Spag Monster's ultimate creation must compare the light with the darkness in the universe and then decide if they want to hide in the darkness or to bring light to every shadowy corner of the universe. Eventually there will simply be no place to hide for no darkness will exist. And that is The Spag Monster's plan for all sin and suffering to cease from existence. But first the problem must be addressed. The very source is the matter that blocks that light.

The Spag Monster knew that Adam and Steve would choose to eat and that there really was no other way possible for the holy carbs to come into existence. Just as our characters are formed through our growing up years, so also must the creation come to a point of growing up. And just as parents allow their children to learn from the error of their ways, So does The Spag Monster, the ultimate Father and Creator, allow his children to come to learn from the error of their ways. Does that mean that The Spag Monster intends for the suffering of human nature to continue on and on for ever? Once the lesson is learned does the classroom continue? Are we all still in high school or have some of us graduated?

The Spag Monster has a plan and it is revealed in his word for those who will study the Holy Carb guide. And who we end up becoming will depend largely on who we really want to be. And that is all part of The Spag Monsters plan. We Must Choose! There are things that The Spag Monster can not do. He can not create moral and righteous character in a creature who does not want to go through the process. For this reason those who choose not to continue into eternity (as beings of light), will simply not have to. The best thing that The Spag Monster created is Death. Everything in this universe must die. That is the nature of the created universe.

Simply put, that is where the process ends for those who simply do not want to live The Spag Monster's way. There is no choice in the matter. The gift of eternal carbs is given to all who choose to obey The Spag Monster, out of faith in The Spag Monster. Those who simply don't want to, don't have to. They will simply be allowed to just die in a lake of fire where all of their sufferings and sin will also end (be destroyed) as well. It's a very simple plan really. The Spag Monster created us to choose. We see the effect of the choice in our lives or we ignore the facts. The Spag Monster holds out a life rope and say's Obey me and take the rope (live life my way) or die. We make the choice to live The Spag Monster's way and live, or be cynical and ignorant and just die. Our choice. The final judgement will declare for all of eternity just how stupid and evil we are and just how good and wise is The Spag Monster. After all, the final judgement is also for the putting to rest all of those stupid comment's, "If The Spag Monster is all..., then why....?" The Spag Monster also will be judged on that day by all of His creation.

We either will become beings of light and sons and daughters of The Spag Monster or we will become beings who will hide in darkness until there is no more darkness to hide in because all of the creation will become like something transparent and reflective of The Spag Monster's light and then the problem of darkness, sin and suffering will end. It simply wont go on for ever. But just as our true character is formed by our growing up years so also is who we will become for all of eternity is formed into us, in the years of our lives. This then requires that we look upon both light and darkness, Good and evil, so that we can make that choice. It's simply our choice to make. The Spag Monster does the work, we make the choice.

Will you learn and choose the right carb?

Well, certainly if no one considers you a troll for doing what you did then no one will consider me a troll for correcting the error or your ways. Too bad you don't have any contributions to make on this topic, but I guess that would require original thought.

How was he trolling?

He successfully did what you tried to do: make an analogy.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby comic boy on Sat May 11, 2013 3:41 pm

Viceroy
What you seem unable to grasp is the fact your God and my Spag Monster are both unfalsifiable , but also just 2 of many millions of similarly unfalsifiable possibilities. The probability of discovering and recognising the ' creator ' , if indeed one ever existed , is so small as to be utterly insignificant.
Your position is simply one of blind faith , do you conduct all your business in a similar fashion , I certainly dont.
Im a TOFU miSfit
Brigadier comic boy

Postby Phatscotty on Sat May 11, 2013 3:50 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:

show

--Andy

WOW! I am such a fan of your work Andy, I think I am going to start doing this too. Maybe some other people will join me.

From now on, every response will be a picture of spam, a troll, or star wars...not sure yet. I guess it depends on the thread topic.
Major Phatscotty

Postby waauw on Sat May 11, 2013 4:36 pm

daddy1gringo wrote:What I am saying is that we all actually make our decision whether or not to believe based on something other than reason. Once again, I am not saying “contrary to” reason, just “something else” since reason is inconclusive on the subject. Now the atheists here on the forum will be happy to agree that the Christians and other theists do that, but historically, they have insisted that their decision is still based on reason or logic, and I disagree. The decision not to believe is made on grounds other than reason just as much as the decision to believe is.

I disagree. Even though a god entity in general can not be disproven 100%, that does not mean that ones reasoning can not rely on logic. I chose to be an atheist because of 'probability' and I looked at certain things for that(a couple mentioned below). Probability is a very important concept in our current day society and it does carry along logical reasoning. Stock investing is a very good example of this.

• One point I take into consideration when listening to someones reasoning is that person's reputation and expertise. I value the knowledge and insight of higly regarded scientists a lot higher than those of scientists whose reputations are rather dubious. This is especially the case when comparing the statements of scientists and those of people who have merely studied the Bible or some other subject which is less relevant. For example I rather believe what people like Steven Hawking say about the universe, rather than the pope. Of course I do realise I cannot rely on just this, but it is a good way to evaluate as nobody is an expert on all possible subjects out there. Everybody relies on the expertise of one or another famous researcher.
  • Secondly I compare the stories that are told to me with history. If you look at the list of claims that the vatican has made over the centuries, quite a few have already been disproven and none of 'm have actually been proven. A good example of this is geocentrism.
  • Thirdly during the second world war the americans landed on several small island in the pacific which were inhabited by people who had never witnessed the technology of aviation. When arriving there the americans built an air strip and gave food to the locals. Consequently the locals started to revere the americans as deities. So it would seem to me that human beings have the tendency to explain what they don't understand as divine. This of course does not do a lot of good to credibility of divine stories.
  • etc. there is actually quite a long list of situations which hurt the credibility of and therefore the probability of a divine existence. I prefer not naming all of them as that would take me ages.

daddy1gringo wrote:The assertion that non-belief is more logical than belief, as far as I can see is related to one or more of two principles: 1. The idea that “you can’t prove a negative”, and 2. The related concepts of “burden of proof” and “Occam’s Razor.”

First let’s deal with the idea that “you can’t prove a negative.” Who says? Actually, that statement is itself a negative, and therefore by its own admission, you can’t know for certain that it is true.

Also, in symbolic logic, if you prove A, you thereby disprove (not A), so if you disprove A, you prove (not A). Actually, proving a negative may be easier than proving a positive. All you have to do is prove the existence of a condition with which A is not compatible, and you have proved (not A).

Here is a kind of weird example. When I was a Kid, I was given for Christmas a puzzle/game called Soma, invented by Danish scientist/philosopher/poet, Piet Hein. Besides making a cube, people make different sculptures with the 7 irregular combinations of cubes.

In the Wicki article about Soma http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soma_cube it mentions that it has been logically proven that the “T”-shaped piece can only go in one particular place to make the cube. This could be re-stated that no other place that it could go exists – a negative.

Hein’s son, Jotun proved that a particular theorized sculpture, called “The Basalt Rock” was impossible, by means of a pure-logic argument having something to do with alternating black and white cubes. Honestly, being just a kid at the time, I didn’t understand the proof, and I can’t find it on the internet, but here are some other proofs of things being impossible, by aficionados that mention Jotun’s. http://www.fam-bundgaard.dk/SOMA/NEWS/N001203.HTM , http://www.fam-bundgaard.dk/SOMA/NEWS/N981123.HTM

Now maybe you can find holes in these particular proofs, but the point is that they show the statement “You can’t prove a negative” to be highly suspect at best and at worst, clearly untrue.

Your presumption that atheists say "you can't prove a negative" is wrong. Atheist say that you can't prove that specific negative. You can't disprove the existence of a god in general. If you think you can disprove anything, then disprove that there isn't an invisible giant indestructable spagghettimonster somewhere out there.

daddy1gringo wrote:So we move on to the ideas of “Burden of proof” and Occam’s razor. Neither one is really a dictate of logic, but both are ways to deal with uncertainty. They are biases for one kind of assumption over the other based on what kind of results you want to get in the event of that uncertainty.

For example, in the U.S. Court system, supposedly at least, the burden of proof is on the prosecution because it is preferable for many guilty people to be acquitted than for one innocent one to be punished. It is a bias for one kind of assumption, innocence, over the other, because of the kind of results desired, not a way of determining which assumption is more likely.

Occam’s razor, similarly, makes no pretentions of saying that the assumption that satisfies its requirements better is actually more likely or more logical, simply that it is more productive to proceed on, or further examine such an assumption. My son-in-law, a skeptic, tells me that Occam doesn’t work well for physics. He rattled off a list of things, like “dark matter” and one-dimensional “strings” that are the either the prevailing theories or actually proven, but do not conform to the razor at all, being fraught with complications and unanswered questions.

All that is leaving aside the question of whether “It just happened” satisfies the razor better than what I believe does.

So what? I’ve said before that I am not so delusional that I think I’m going to post something and suddenly the atheists on the forum are going to declare, “Oh now I see the light! I now believe in Jesus!” The best I really hope for is that some will say, as at least one already has, “OK it’s not proven either way, so this is what I choose to believe, and not believe.” In a case of exceptional honesty, the person I’m thinking of actually said something like, “I guess the difference is that you want to believe it and I don’t.”

That’s what I’m getting at. I’ve said before that to a large degree the intellect is the whore of the will, telling it what it wants to hear and performing the tricks that it requires. To a large degree, what makes perfect sense to you depends on your preconceptions. Whichever way you choose to believe, the facts fall into place to support it.

In this aspect I entirely agree with you. The burden of proof is not on the believers only, but partially on the non-believers too. This is however only the case as long as you state that this is something you believe in. It changes completely when people start saying that it is a fact. For something to become a fact, it has to be proven. If it is not, it is but a theory.

daddy1gringo wrote:A great example is how some have posted as “proof” against the existence of the God of the Bible, pictures of starving children. I see that as proof that what it says in his word is true. He has commanded us to feed the poor and not to store up for ourselves treasures here on earth. He also said that the human race by and large has turned their backs on him and his words, including those who call themselves by his name, and as a result the world is in the hands of the evil one who seeks only to “steal, kill, and destroy”. Imagine if a significant number of us in the economic top 10% of the world started taking his words seriously. So for me a world filled with tragedies caused by selfishness, apathy and cruelty of people is far from proof that the God of the Bible doesn’t exist; it’s evidence that he does. It all depends on your point of view.

God makes his call to the whole person, intellect, will, emotions, desires, etc.; the intellect is not excluded, but it not a majority shareholder. When you hear his call and it starts to make sense to you that he is there, and is worthy of following, the debatable facts fall in place, if not right away, then with some study and examination.

This is a good segue into another issue. Many have mentioned that they couldn’t believe in the God of the Bible because there are many places in it where he seems cruel or unjust. (We could include history, current events, and our own lives, but for the sake of clarity I’ll stick with the Bible here) There are a number of such things that I have come to understand better, and they are actually examples of how wise and good he is. I’m not going to go into them specifically, because part of my point is that for every one of them, there are more that I don’t understand, and still seem cruel or unjust. So you could rightly ask me “Does that answer for this, or for that other case?” and I’d have to answer “No.”

In this aspect you also right, you can not disprove a god in general, but you can disprove certain definitions of him(look at one of my previous posts).

daddy1gringo wrote:In other words, the question of whether there is “something” beyond what is perceived by the 5 senses, and explained by science, is one thing. Exactly who/what that is, is a related, but different question. One of my frustrations in these discussions has been an illogical sloshing back and forth between those things. I demonstrate (not “prove”) one, and they say “That doesn’t prove the other,” then I deal with the other, and they say that it doesn’t prove the first. Thus we go round in circles and never really deal with anything.

That's what you get whith circular reasoning. FYI that's also a false kind of logic.

For example if I would take the Bible and change every mention of God by "Flying spagghetti monster", would that mean that the flying spagghetti monster is real? As the Bible would say it is real and the Bible itself must be real as it is supposedly written by the flying spagghetti monster.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby waauw on Sat May 11, 2013 4:39 pm

btw, I would like to raise a question in this discussion. Are we as human beings even able to recognize divine power if it exists? Because I don't think we are.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby crispybits on Sat May 11, 2013 6:56 pm

waauw has actually covered most of your points here D1G in a similar way to the post I was slowly drafting did, but more concisely. If you want my super-long rambling version just say and I'll finish it up but it's a loooong read. I do however just want to dwell on this section briefly:

waauw wrote:
daddy1gringo wrote:So we move on to the ideas of “Burden of proof” and Occam’s razor. Neither one is really a dictate of logic, but both are ways to deal with uncertainty. They are biases for one kind of assumption over the other based on what kind of results you want to get in the event of that uncertainty.

For example, in the U.S. Court system, supposedly at least, the burden of proof is on the prosecution because it is preferable for many guilty people to be acquitted than for one innocent one to be punished. It is a bias for one kind of assumption, innocence, over the other, because of the kind of results desired, not a way of determining which assumption is more likely.

Occam’s razor, similarly, makes no pretentions of saying that the assumption that satisfies its requirements better is actually more likely or more logical, simply that it is more productive to proceed on, or further examine such an assumption. My son-in-law, a skeptic, tells me that Occam doesn’t work well for physics. He rattled off a list of things, like “dark matter” and one-dimensional “strings” that are the either the prevailing theories or actually proven, but do not conform to the razor at all, being fraught with complications and unanswered questions.

All that is leaving aside the question of whether “It just happened” satisfies the razor better than what I believe does.

So what? I’ve said before that I am not so delusional that I think I’m going to post something and suddenly the atheists on the forum are going to declare, “Oh now I see the light! I now believe in Jesus!” The best I really hope for is that some will say, as at least one already has, “OK it’s not proven either way, so this is what I choose to believe, and not believe.” In a case of exceptional honesty, the person I’m thinking of actually said something like, “I guess the difference is that you want to believe it and I don’t.”

That’s what I’m getting at. I’ve said before that to a large degree the intellect is the whore of the will, telling it what it wants to hear and performing the tricks that it requires. To a large degree, what makes perfect sense to you depends on your preconceptions. Whichever way you choose to believe, the facts fall into place to support it.

In this aspect I entirely agree with you. The burden of proof is not on the believers only, but partially on the non-believers too. This is however only the case as long as you state that this is something you believe in. It changes completely when people start saying that it is a fact. For something to become a fact, it has to be proven. If it is not, it is but a theory.

There are two main issues here, one trivial and semantic and one fairly major.

Firstly, the trivial. Most people who have given serious thought to the matter and who do not believe in God don't say "it just happened" when talking of the creation of our universe. They say something more along the lines of "we don't know what happened or why before about 1 picosecond (about a millionth of a millionth of a second) after the big bang actually occured." Science doesn't say "everything came from nothing" or any of the other claptrap that some religious sources claim (much like you correctly say that the Bible doesn't say that God is omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient and omnibenevolent). It's a misrepresentation. We claim as a fact that "it happened", the proof is everywhere (quite literally), but nobody with an ounce of common sense says that it was a random event that happened just because.

There are theories for sure, string theory and brane theory to name but two recent ones, but even these are backed up with a semblance of justification in the form of mathematical arguments. The reason these are given more credence than religious arguments is that we see very little in this universe that does not conform (at least in theory, if we could collect enough data) to mathematical laws. The universe appears to be rational in this regard. If you can prove something mathematically, then our experience is that the thing is more likely to be true than if you can tell a good story about it, and so we place these kinds of proofs on a higher level than we do narratives. That's not to say we're always right, but when we are not it's generally because someone has found an error in the calculations or the way we are reasoning than in the mathematical system itself.

Secondly, the non-trivial. Can you name any situation from our everyday lives when someone can make a truly substantive claim without providing evidence, and can say that everyone has to act as though that claim is the truth unless someone else can provide evidence that it isn't? The "we don't know" position makes no claims of knowledge, it simply states that there is insufficient information upon which to make any conclusions about a topic.

I'll quote a little section of your other post here:

Talking about the origin of all things, whatever you choose to believe, it is mind-boggling and outside of our common experience. Either there was a time before anything existed, which is mind boggling: what would it be like for nothing to exist, or some things have existed eternally, which is contrary to our experience, or before some point there was no time. The idea that there is a personality behind it, only he is eternal and everything else was created by him, is really no more of a stretch.

I do not make any claim that anything has existed forever. I have never said that time existed before anything else did. I have never said that time began at some point either. I would not make any of these claims as claims of fact. I might conduct thought experiments to say "what if X, Y or Z are true" and see where it takes me, but I know that none of them prove anything without me first proving that X, Y or Z did actually happen. As a thought experiment, an eternal personality that caused creation is valid. As a claim of some sort of truth, it's totally meaningless unless you can also provide evidence of it, and evidence that it is linked in some way to your particular religious texts/principles. You're welcome to play around with it and amuse yourself with the fantasy, as is every other believer in every other faith, but to claim that anyone should structure even the smallest part of their lives according to this fairy tale is laughable, and worse, to teach it to children as "Truth" is child abuse, because once they learn that there is one thing that can be claimed as the truth without evidence or proper justification, then you have implanted a standard of knowledge into their heads that opens them up to all sorts of flim-flam, charlatanism and fraud.

They may be strong words, but just turn on any of the many TV evangelist channels. Think of people like Billy Graham, or Benny Hinn, raking in millions and millions every single year and not using it to help anyone but themselves and their own families and friends live ridiculously opulent lifestyles. Think of people like David Koresh, who killed himself and 81 of his followers that he gained by preaching a religious message. Think of the Pope, sitting on his golden throne with his stupid hat preaching about the virtues of charity while poor catholics all over the world donate whatever they can afford to his organisation. And before you respond please realise that I am making no claims about God here, merely the fact that once you teach a child that it's alright to believe in unsupported bullshit without being shown evidence as long as you stick the word God in there somewhere, then you leave them vulnerable to manipulation and victimisation from unscrupulous people and organisations for the rest of their lives. Why not simply teach them that they should think critically and be nice to others? Why do people insist that God has to be part of it?

(and the fact I've just turned one of waauw's paragraphs into something this length should give you an idea why I was still trying to tidy up my response to you so many days after I started writing it)
Last edited by crispybits on Sun May 12, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Major crispybits

Postby Viceroy63 on Sat May 11, 2013 7:08 pm

comic boy wrote:Viceroy
What you seem unable to grasp is the fact your God and my Spag Monster are both unfalsifiable , but also just 2 of many millions of similarly unfalsifiable possibilities. The probability of discovering and recognising the ' creator ' , if indeed one ever existed , is so small as to be utterly insignificant.
Your position is simply one of blind faith , do you conduct all your business in a similar fashion , I certainly dont.

Again the proof is in the prophecies. No spaghetti monster ever foretold future events or even stated such a thing as "test me in this or Prove me in this."

Malachi 3:10
Isaiah 46:10
Deuteronomy 18:22

The prophecies are all the proof and evidence that any objective and unbiased mind needs to reason and figure this out. But to the unreasonable mind there is no such thing. Even though it all happened as foretold and no spaghetti monster ever cause words like those to be written in advanced of their happenstances.

"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD:..."
Isaiah 1:18
show
Major Viceroy63

PreviousNext

Return to Out, out, brief candle!