Conquer Club

PSA: Optimal food supplies for disasters

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

How much food do you have stockpiled?

0 days (Friend comes out level)
11%
1 day (49ers lose the Super Bowl level)
No votes
3 days (Earthquake level)
22%
2 weeks (War with Canada level)
22%
1 month (Nuclear plant meltdown level)
11%
3 months (Civil war level)
22%
12 months (Caldera level)
No votes
12+ months (ET attack level)
11%

Total votes : 9

Re: PSA: Optimal food supplies for disasters

Postby mookiemcgee on Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:57 pm

KoolBak wrote::lol:

So, mook ....how many bottles of wine are appropriate for a family of 4, for a 1 month supply?

.5 bottles (2 glasses) per person per day. So 2 bottles a day X 30 = 60 bottles of wine aka 5 cases.

The math gets more complicated if it's 3 red drinks, and 1 white drinker.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby 2dimes on Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:55 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:The math gets more complicated if it's 3 red drinks, and 1 white drinker.

45 Bottles of red
15 Bottles of white
Corporal 2dimes

Postby mookiemcgee on Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:08 am

2dimes wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:The math gets more complicated if it's 3 red drinks, and 1 white drinker.

45 Bottles of red
15 Bottles of white

Just because the world is coming apart at the seams doesn't mean we sacrifice our integrity 2dimes. Do you want to tell your wife you get to open a fresh bottle of red every night for your enjoyment while she's forced to drink day old white wine for 15/30 days of the month? Now the red drinkers get a fresh glass each every night, and then one person gets another glass from the fresh bottle and the other two have to drink oxidized brackish poopwater that reeks of volatile acidity.

I think my preferred creative solution is at the end of the night you mix 1/2 bottle of leftover red with 1/2 bottle of leftover white so it slows the oxidation overnight and then everyone gets some ' Shady Estates Rosé ' with lunch. This ups everyones total consumption to 3 glasses per day but at least 'end of the world' resentment buildup is slowed.

If we just stick with everyone gets 2 glasses of what we like, then you'd need 30 bottles of white and 60 bottles of Red or 7.5 cases which is 50% more than just everyone drinking red wine.

@Koolbak, are the going to be any pets involved? In my experience they prefer beer but they would likely appreciate some of the 1/2 bottles that would otherwise go to waste.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby Votanic on Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:14 am

mookiemcgee wrote:
2dimes wrote:

45 Bottles of red
15 Bottles of white

Just because the world is coming apart at the seams doesn't mean we sacrifice our integrity 2dimes. Do you want to tell your wife you get to open a fresh bottle of red every night for your enjoyment while she's forced to drink day old white wine for 15/30 days of the month? Now the red drinkers get a fresh glass each every night, and then one person gets another glass from the fresh bottle and the other two have to drink oxidized brackish poopwater that reeks of volatile acidity.

I think my preferred creative solution is at the end of the night you mix 1/2 bottle of leftover red with 1/2 bottle of leftover white so it slows the oxidation overnight and then everyone gets some ' Shady Estates Rosé ' with lunch. This ups everyones total consumption to 3 glasses per day but at least 'end of the world' resentment buildup is slowed.

If we just stick with everyone gets 2 glasses of what we like, then you'd need 30 bottles of white and 60 bottles of Red or 7.5 cases which is 50% more than just everyone drinking red wine.

@Koolbak, are the going to be any pets involved? In my experience they prefer beer but they would likely appreciate some of the 1/2 bottles that would otherwise go to waste.

Aren't you the same guy who was stanning Henry Rollins for shading Toby Keith abouth singing alchy-promo songs?
Lieutenant Votanic

Postby mookiemcgee on Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:45 am

Votanic wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:
2dimes wrote:

45 Bottles of red
15 Bottles of white

Aren't you the same guy who was stanning Henry Rollins for shading Toby Keith abouth singing alchy-promo songs?

Yes!!!
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby KoolBak on Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:33 am

Excellent to know. Of course, with us low brow types, the ol big box solves those pesky bottle issues :lol:

Luckily for me it's McNaughtons, so damn easy math.

3 oz / day x 30 is 90....call it a half gallon :lol:
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant KoolBak

Postby mookiemcgee on Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:41 am

KoolBak wrote:Excellent to know. Of course, with us low brow types, the ol big box solves those pesky bottle issues :lol:

Luckily for me it's McNaughtons, so damn easy math.

3 oz / day x 30 is 90....call it a half gallon :lol:

Distilled spirits are a far better fit for survival in uncertain times than wine! Flammable, virtually impervious to going bad, smaller/lighter on a per drink basis.

Boxed wine also a excellent choice. Packaging can make such a huge difference, having been designed in the last 30 years vs like 1500 BC some real scientific improvements have been made.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby 2dimes on Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:30 am

Ah, understandable. Some suggest an opened bottle of wine lasts three to five days, but they are probably the type of person that would settle for mustard on their salad, when they asked for ketchup.
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby Votanic on Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:31 am

2dimes wrote:Ah, understandable. Some suggest an opened bottle of wine lasts three to five days, but they are probably the type of person that would settle for mustard on their salad, when they asked for ketchup.

Uh, Waitaminute, There's a problem here.
Either mustard or ketchup/catsup on a salad is getting into seriously troubled culinary territory.

I mean a mustard-vinaigrette, okay, ...but that's not what you wrote.
Lieutenant Votanic

Postby 2dimes on Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:25 am

Well, unlike the vast majority, you pay attention.

show

The point is not everyone has Mook's discerning palate.

Most people find day old to be fine. Others might send a freshly opened selection back, even though it was chosen and brought to the table by an experienced sommelier.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby KoolBak on Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:35 am

OR....he replies to EVERY post....

AND:
Sergeant KoolBak

Postby 2dimes on Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:02 am

Oh, he certainly replies to a few too many. He has missed some.
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby Votanic on Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:30 pm

2dimes wrote:Well, unlike the vast majority, you pay attention.

show

Most people find day old to be fine. Others might send a freshly opened selection back, even though it was chosen and brought to the table by an experienced sommelier.
Of course. When Mook suggested mixing up homemade rosé, I immediately assumed he worked as a sommelier... at 7-11.
Lieutenant Votanic

Re:

Postby mookiemcgee on Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:46 pm

2dimes wrote:The point is not everyone has Mook's discerning palate.

Truer words never spoken.

2dimes wrote:Most people find day old to be fine. Others might send a freshly opened selection back, even though it was chosen and brought to the table by an experienced sommelier.

Day old red actually fine most of the time, but whites do fall apart faster due to their lack of tannin structure. At the end of the day we all have a stick up our ass, its really just a matter of how deep it's penetrating i suppose. But If I'm building out someone else cellar for 30 days of being locked in a room together I'm going to err on the side of not pissing the wives off.

Given I only eat salad that has meat in it (fried chicken salad, steak salad, fried spam salad w/63 degree egg), the inclusion of catsup didn't seem that crazy to me. I try not to judge people for the flavor combinations they like because we do all experience/perceive taste/aromas differently (even if I have to close my eyes and say the serenity prayer a few times before getting back to business as usual).

I would still judge you hardcore if you were eating this salad after it sat out on the counter for 24 hours though.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Re: Re:

Postby mookiemcgee on Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:12 pm

Votanic wrote:
2dimes wrote:Well, unlike the vast majority, you pay attention.

show

Of course. When Mook suggested mixing up homemade rosé, I immediately assumed he worked as a sommelier... at 7-11.

Mixing white and red together isn't how rosé is made, but i thought it would be a reasonable solution to keep waste to a minimum.

If I could get a job handselling wines at the 7-11 I would do it in a heartbeat! Can you imagine following people trying to hardsell them on barefoot wines while they fill up their 72 oz soda??? Irony is sooooo fun!
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:38 pm

My wife is not a wine drinker. One of her very few flaws.

So, I open a bottle of red for myself, and if it so happens that I don't finish it in a few days, then I'll make French Onion soup with it. She won't drink wine, but she'll gladly eat my soup made with wine, lol.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Sergeant 1st Class Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Funkyterrance on Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:51 pm

Dukasaur wrote:My wife is not a wine drinker. One of her very few flaws.

So, I open a bottle of red for myself, and if it so happens that I don't finish it in a few days, then I'll make French Onion soup with it. She won't drink wine, but she'll gladly eat my soup made with wine, lol.

Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:19 pm

49ers lose the superbowl? Really? Saxi is another swiftie. Here we go
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby KoolBak on Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:09 am

Mook is actually very knowledgeable in the vino world...those of us that know him, know....

Much like The Shadow....

AND:
Sergeant KoolBak

Postby 2dimes on Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:35 am

mookiemcgee wrote:
If I could get a job handselling wines at the 7-11 I would do it in a heartbeat! Can you imagine following people trying to hardsell them on barefoot wines while they fill up their 72 oz soda??? Irony is sooooo fun!

Ah, two big bites and a tray of nachos, excellent choice. Might I suggest a nice merlot to pair with that?
Corporal 2dimes

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,