Conquer Club

Conservatism

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conservatism

Postby Timminz on Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:55 pm

ESL?
Captain Timminz

Postby Woodruff on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:21 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Pirlo wrote:Image

All thing?

Seems too perfect, doesn't it? <laughing>
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Mr_Adams on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:02 pm

notyou2 wrote:
radiojake wrote:Example of partisanship to a stupid degree -

My mum has a very good friend who lives in Virginia and who travels to Washington DC quite often for work. I was talking to her once about American politics and specifically (what I considered) a stupid amount of partisanship that seems to be totally counter-productive.

She told me a story that seems to sum up the ridiculous state of domestic politics in the USA - She had two of her younger cousins (or neice or nephew - doesn't matter) come and stay with her for a couple of weeks who were from a different part of the US. She took them into DC to check out the nation's capital because they were both politics students, and they hadn't been to the nation's capital before. Anyway, they got to the Whitehouse and she asked them if they wanted to go on the tour.

(The following conversation has been paraphrased)

'Oh, God no. We can't go into the Whitehouse!'

'Uhh, why not?'

'Because we are Republicans! We can't walk in there while Bill Clinton is President!' (obviously this was a few years ago)

'You wont go visit the Whitehouse because there is a Democrat in the Presidency?'

'No way!'

Obviously these two twats are not entirely representative of all Americans, and I'm no way suggesting that. I just think this type of partisanship (which seems very evident on this board), is completely counter-productive

I agree. It's not like Coke is trying to murder it's rival Pepsi.
So why is American politics so virulent?

Interesting story. that is really stupid. The sad thing is that the super partisan people are the ones who end up in the leadership of the parties in the long run. that's why the super partisan ship is passed on.
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby Symmetry on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:54 am

Woodruff wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
Pirlo wrote:Image

All thing?

Seems too perfect, doesn't it? <laughing>

Couldn't help myself.

But yes- conservatism isn't the rejection of intellectualism, it's an intellectual position in its own right. The problem with a lot of modern day conservatism, especially in the US, is the shutting down of intellectual conversation. The number of litmus tests a prospective candidate has to go through in order to simply be nominated is staggering. Liberals do it too, but I would say to a lesser extent.

It looks increasingly like the best candidates for office are the ones who have the least background, commit to nothing, and look pretty. And yes, that applies to Obama too.

Still- the stuff going in on Wisconsin with the targeting of that History professor who criticised Walker's plans is pretty disturbing.

But anyway- a distinction should be made between conservatism and, say Republicans, or Conservatives, even though the line gets blurred easily by both sides.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:17 pm

Symmetry wrote:But yes- conservatism isn't the rejection of intellectualism, it's an intellectual position in its own right. The problem with a lot of modern day conservatism, especially in the US, is the shutting down of intellectual conversation. The number of litmus tests a prospective candidate has to go through in order to simply be nominated is staggering. Liberals do it too, but I would say to a lesser extent.

This is mostly because the extreme left is effectively "quieted" now. What you see are moderate liberals, even some moderate conservatives being labeled "radical"
(particularly on some social issues, like abortion and homosexuality, where many conservative people take the "get the government out of people's personnal business" stance).. and very conservative, even ultra-right wing (in social issues AND a "no limits to business" stance) folks being labeled as "moderate".

Symmetry wrote:It looks increasingly like the best candidates for office are the ones who have the least background, commit to nothing, and look pretty. And yes, that applies to Obama too.
You think this is a change? ;)
Symmetry wrote:Still- the stuff going in on Wisconsin with the targeting of that History professor who criticised Walker's plans is pretty disturbing.
Its about education and information dissemination. Control the youth, control what people see and you control them.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby notyou2 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:59 pm

AMERICA THE NO LONGER FREE
Captain notyou2

Postby spurgistan on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:29 pm

IN RESPONSE TO THE OP:

It takes eight (8) conservatives to change a light bulb. It takes five (5) witches to form a coven in order to ask Ronald Reagan what to do, one (1) man to ignore that, and then one (1) Koch brother to tell John Boehner what to do. Eight.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby MeDeFe on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:11 am

spurgistan wrote:IN RESPONSE TO THE OP:

It takes eight (8) conservatives to change a light bulb. It takes five (5) witches to form a coven in order to ask Ronald Reagan what to do, one (1) man to ignore that, and then one (1) Koch brother to tell John Boehner what to do. Eight.

I count nine persons there.

5 Witches
1 Ronald Reagan
1 man who ignores it
1 Koch brother
1 John Boehner

So who's not conservative?
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby GreecePwns on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:32 am

MeDeFe wrote:
spurgistan wrote:IN RESPONSE TO THE OP:

I count nine persons there.

5 Witches
1 Ronald Reagan
1 man who ignores it
1 Koch brother
1 John Boehner

So who's not conservative?

John Boehner does nothing in the end?
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby spurgistan on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:40 pm

Ronald Reagan is dead. He's not a person anymore. I actually thought about whether to count him or not.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby natty dread on Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:10 pm

Except if it is...

Zombie Reagan!

Zombies are persons too
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Symmetry on Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:01 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Symmetry wrote:It looks increasingly like the best candidates for office are the ones who have the least background, commit to nothing, and look pretty. And yes, that applies to Obama too.
You think this is a change? ;)

Not a sharp change, but more a sharp increase in those trends. Being put on record saying anything of substance is increasingly likely to bite a candidate in their future. I do think this applies to both sides of the debate, but it seems to have taken hold on the right to a much greater extent.

Energising the base seems to be the key to getting a nomination nowadays. Much as I think Obama tapped into populism with promises he couldn't keep, at least he did so with a message of hope and unity. Conservative candidates are preaching fear and division.

This came up recently in a poll by Public Policy Polling:

"One other note from our Republican primary poll- GOP voters think that the ACORN threat has gone down significantly. In November of 2009 we found 52% of Republicans thought ACORN had stolen the election for Barack Obama in 2008. Now only 25% think the organization will steal the election for him again next year, while 43% think it will not and 32% aren't sure yet."
Here

Bizarre stuff.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,