Conquer Club

Comics

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Comics

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:41 pm

natty dread wrote:Maybe someday we'll get to the point where low-level languages become redundant for everything except the system kernel. On the other hand, it could be that we'll just come up with more resource-hungry applications that still require coding with lower-level languages - the phenomenon is best seen in computer games: no matter how powerful a new gaming hardware is, someone is going to come up with ways to utilize all of its potential...

I think eventually most people will be using higher level languages, seems like the natural trend. I mean, at one point, C was considered high level.

Also, I remember reading this article about the making of some really old games The challenges they had to solve due to very limited hardware resources were just insane. I dunno if games today have to worry THAT much about performance and footprint. And surely the whole "let's pour a shitload of money into making the game super-duper realistic" must be nearing the tapering point. They pretty much almost look real already.

This scavenger hunt is getting boring. Let's go work on the treehouse!

I am firmly of the opinion that if something doesn't have a year on it, every time the expiration date rolls around it is good again for the two weeks preceding that date.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:22 pm

Oh, found an oddly appropriate one:

Unsafe vehicles, hills, and philosophy go hand in hand.
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby natty dread on Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:21 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:I think eventually most people will be using higher level languages, seems like the natural trend. I mean, at one point, C was considered high level.

Also, I remember reading this article about the making of some really old games The challenges they had to solve due to very limited hardware resources were just insane. I dunno if games today have to worry THAT much about performance and footprint. And surely the whole "let's pour a shitload of money into making the game super-duper realistic" must be nearing the tapering point. They pretty much almost look real already.

But there's an almost infinite amount of things that computing power can be used for. Not just more realistic graphics (although, if we get 3d screens with parallax viewing, that's going to take a fair bit of computating power to render all the possible view points you can look at the screen from) but also things like physics engines, completely destructible environments, ultra-massive sandbox games (like, how about a game where the entire nation of USA is rendered... or hey, how about the entire world)... imagination is the limit. And that's not even counting AI... imagination is the limit, really.

And then there's all kinds of scientific uses - scientists are already creating immense grids and networks for computing because regular supercomputers just aren't fast enough for some calculations.

No, I think we're going to need lower level languages for quite some time. And let's not forget environmental concerns - more effective code uses less CPU resources, thus requiring the CPU to use less power, thus consuming less real world resources.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby natty dread on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:11 am

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:19 am

natty dread wrote:But there's an almost infinite amount of things that computing power can be used for. Not just more realistic graphics (although, if we get 3d screens with parallax viewing, that's going to take a fair bit of computating power to render all the possible view points you can look at the screen from) but also things like physics engines, completely destructible environments, ultra-massive sandbox games (like, how about a game where the entire nation of USA is rendered... or hey, how about the entire world)... imagination is the limit. And that's not even counting AI... imagination is the limit, really.

And then there's all kinds of scientific uses - scientists are already creating immense grids and networks for computing because regular supercomputers just aren't fast enough for some calculations.

No, I think we're going to need lower level languages for quite some time. And let's not forget environmental concerns - more effective code uses less CPU resources, thus requiring the CPU to use less power, thus consuming less real world resources.

Ok, but the flipside is we might be able to develop compilers/interpreters smart enough such that the difference between writting low and high level is minimal. (with different paradigmes such as functional languages one might argue that you are expressing the concepts in a clearer way and that a smart enough compiler could generate more efficient byte code than you'd be able to yourself.)
I don't know how many people there are left today that could actually write a somewhat complex application more efficiently in assembly than in C. Virtually all efficiency tricks are already performed by the C compiler.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:20 am

Family going to bed at 10 PM is so much worse than jet lag.

Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively while mouthing 'look over there'.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby natty dread on Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:19 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
natty dread wrote:But there's an almost infinite amount of things that computing power can be used for. Not just more realistic graphics (although, if we get 3d screens with parallax viewing, that's going to take a fair bit of computating power to render all the possible view points you can look at the screen from) but also things like physics engines, completely destructible environments, ultra-massive sandbox games (like, how about a game where the entire nation of USA is rendered... or hey, how about the entire world)... imagination is the limit. And that's not even counting AI... imagination is the limit, really.

Ok, but the flipside is we might be able to develop compilers/interpreters smart enough such that the difference between writting low and high level is minimal. (with different paradigmes such as functional languages one might argue that you are expressing the concepts in a clearer way and that a smart enough compiler could generate more efficient byte code than you'd be able to yourself.)

Ok, yes, compilers can develop, and maybe at some point we will just code programs that code other programs... however, the syntax or paradigm of the language isn't the main point, it's more about what kind of code it produces - if the language compiles to bytecode that needs to be interpreted at runtime, that always adds another level of virtualization which slows down the program.

I don't know how many people there are left today that could actually write a somewhat complex application more efficiently in assembly than in C. Virtually all efficiency tricks are already performed by the C compiler.

Actually, assembler is still being used as part of programs written in C etc. because sometimes you just need to squeeze out that extra bit of performance. It's no longer practical to write entire programs in assembler, because programs have become so big and complex, but when some function or method needs a speed boost, assembler can still give faster code.

Also, somewhat relevant (panel 2):

Click image to enlarge.

Postby natty dread on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:17 am

Click image to enlarge.

Postby x-raider on Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:19 am

I'm a proud kiwi-like-an-apple eater.
Corporal 1st Class x-raider

Location: Lost in the Complexities of the Undiscovered Universe

Postby Gillipig on Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:27 am

Haggis_McMutton wrote:Image

Click image to enlarge.

These two are geniously funny!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:38 am

8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:44 pm

8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:25 pm

Can't remember if I already posted this one.

Click image to enlarge.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby ender516 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:25 pm

That one's new to me, and much appreciated.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby natty dread on Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:48 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:30 am

8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:43 am

Back when subnormality had somewhat normal sized comics.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Getting bigger now:

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:14 pm

Yeah, I'm just going through the subnormality archives. This has not been a productive day.

Anyway:

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:19 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:Yeah, I'm just going through the subnormality archives. This has not been a productive day.

Anyway:

show

At first I was like, "oh haha!," but on the last one, I got all, "hey! c'mon! The emperor has no clothes! Why would the author say otherwise?"
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:05 am

2nd batch

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:43 pm

Short intermission from the wall-o-text marathon

8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:46 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:Short intermission from the wall-o-text marathon

+1 Rover Points for this. I liked it.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Neoteny on Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:16 pm

As if one depressing rover comic wasn't enough.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby MeDeFe on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:20 pm

saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:23 pm

MeDeFe wrote:Image

Half the fun for some of these is trying to figure out how the hell the addition of Garfield could make it less depressing.

8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,