Conquer Club

Get to Know a CCer got tonkaed edition

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Get to Know a CCer got tonkaed edition

Postby got tonkaed on Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:53 am

eh im sure there were probably people who should have gone before me, but since ive got time to kill and nothing really to do i figured id make my thread anyway.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby 2dimes on Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:57 am

What's tonkaed?
Corporal 2dimes

Postby got tonkaed on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:00 am

it actually comes from a home poker game between some of my friends and I. Basically when we all started playing, one of the guys joked that the ace-5 straight (the wheel) should be worth more because it was a dirtier straight (since you wouldnt play those cards normally). Well, the surprise of getting hit by the wheel is often equated to getting ran over by a tonka truck, which is eventually what the wheel got named in our silly verison of a home game. Eventually i adopted the handle about a year ago and have used it ever since (mostly because i didnt have anything else clever).
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby 2dimes on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:19 am

Cool, I read it as totonka sometimes like the word for bison on "Dances with wolves".
Corporal 2dimes

Postby got tonkaed on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:20 am

It probably would speak more of me if it had been a better cultural reference, but sadly its just a simple somewhat goofy reference to the fact that in a game of a fair amount of luck like poker, some silly stuff is bound to happen.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby 2dimes on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:44 am

Meh, I've allways liked it.

It's nice to actually get it though.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby got tonkaed on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:47 am

well on some level i must believe its associated with me there is a certain level of general awesomeness guaranteed to be involved lol. Maybe not quite as awesome as that star wars picture with everyone playing the guitar but certainly some level of awesome and probably a formidable amount.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby Anarkistsdream on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:53 am

What is your name, age, and occupation?

Are you married? Children? Pets?
virus90 wrote: I think Anarkist is a valuable asset to any game.
Cook Anarkistsdream

Postby got tonkaed on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:56 am

Anarkistsdream wrote:What is your name, age, and occupation?

Are you married? Children? Pets?

My name is Justin, im quite nearly 21 (about 2 months) and im a very poor sociology undergrad who occasionally moonlights as a plasma donator, card player, and other forms of semi degeneracy.

I am not married, nor do i have children and back home i have a cat named haley who i am fond of, but would certainly kill through negligence if she was in our house up at school.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby Anarkistsdream on Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:57 am

Where are you from originally? What city do you live in now? What university?

What do your parents do? Any siblings?
Cook Anarkistsdream

Postby got tonkaed on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:01 am

Anarkistsdream wrote:Where are you from originally? What city do you live in now? What university?

What do your parents do? Any siblings?

I spent most of my childhood between Illinois and suburban detroit, mostly in Livonia. Now i live in Grand Rapids in a house with 4 other guys on the relatively cheap during the school year, and i usually head home for the summers (though this summer ill be in new york) I go to the being rapidly prestigious Grand Valley State University (though im not exactly sure why, all i know is it is blowing up, figuratively speaking)

My mom is a dental hygentist and has been for about 24 years now. My dad was a electrical engineer for ford for a while, but he passed away a few years ago. Needless to say, dad made most of the money and we have been struggling a fair amount since then financially. Ive got a younger brother and sister, and sister Andrea is going to be at GV with me next year. Eric, is going to be a junior in highschool and hes a lot more like my dad than me.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby Anarkistsdream on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:03 am

Why are you going to New York?
Cook Anarkistsdream

Postby got tonkaed on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:06 am

Anarkistsdream wrote:Why are you going to New York?

im actually going to be a camp counselor for some rich kids camp with my best friend. Basically its a good way to get away for a summer on the relatively cheap, and play sports with kids all day and find out about some other parts of the world (since the camp apparently gets a lot of kids from different countries). But basically i didnt have anything else going on so they offered me a decent amount of money for a month or so of my time with 3 meals a day, seemed like a good way to spend the last summer i have before i need to find something that actually will help pay to sustain me.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby Anarkistsdream on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:09 am

Yeah, take advantage while you can, ya lucky batard...

The real world sucks.
Cook Anarkistsdream

Postby got tonkaed on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:12 am

lol ive heard some rumors that its not exactly the most friendliest of places out there all the time.

Really it is a bit nervewracking at times though, because i know ill probably need additional degrees so im a bit nervous as to finding a way to pay for it all. I mean ill be doing a few internships but not likely anything that will really help me pay all that many bills. But i always claimed i was never worried about making a lot of money, i guess im just giving myself an oppertunity to prove it.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby Aegnor on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:13 am

What's your zombie plan?
"War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left" -Anonymous
Corporal Aegnor

Postby Anarkistsdream on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:14 am

Well, I am finishing my second degree in a year after taking a six year hiatus away from school... It's hard going back, but, yes, you'll want the extra education. The job market is a rough place.

What are your hopes for future employment? What do you want to do with your degree?
Cook Anarkistsdream

Postby got tonkaed on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:15 am

im afraid i dont know exactly what your talking about. You might need to be a bit more specific, unless you are referring to the zombie mafia game, which i am actually not playing as far as i remember so i dont think i would have much of a plan other than hoping the townies win.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby Aegnor on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:16 am

Eh there was this cool thread a week ago, So in case a zombie plague breaks the next day, what are your plans and preparations to survive on the zombie infested world?
"War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left" -Anonymous
Corporal Aegnor

Postby got tonkaed on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:19 am

Anarkistsdream wrote:Well, I am finishing my second degree in a year after taking a six year hiatus away from school... It's hard going back, but, yes, you'll want the extra education. The job market is a rough place.

What are your hopes for future employment? What do you want to do with your degree?

Thats pretty awesome getting another degree, i would think its prety hard to come back to it after going away for a while, but on the same hand you probably come back with a better mindset toward the process.

Im a bit torn about what exactly i want to be. There is defintly a part of me that wants to be involved in a variety of social activist projects. I dont have very much experience with it however, but im hopefully that through a couple internships with some independent media outlets, ill start to get myself involved with teh local scene at least. I think it would be cool to hook up with a couple of different programs from there if i find somethign that i can be passionate about.

However there is another part of me that really wants to go into academia and eventually teach sociology on the university level. I really do enjoy the college atmosphere and i feel that theres going to be a lot to say about the Globalization movement over the next few decades. Im also a fairly capable writer and a decent public speaker (i was once headed for the ministry coincendetally, something im sure that might get asked about later) but many have said that id be a fairly capable professor. I would think its a great way to have a positive impact on other peoples lives, so i might want to go the route of bachelors, masters (get a job somewhere teaching) PhD and then hopefully become a full professor some day.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby got tonkaed on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:21 am

Aegnor wrote:Eh there was this cool thread a week ago, So in case a zombie plague breaks the next day, what are your plans and preparations to survive on the zombie infested world?

ah my apologies.....

First things first i think we need to find out what we are dealing in terms of suriviors. Can i reach them? Do i have help? If not i need to find a way to secure myself for the short term while i figure out a way to sustain myself, so theres probably going to be some fortification necesary. Then once i feel fairly confident in my local surroudings, i might try to find other supplies (mainly weapons) and continue to try and reach out an find others. If i cant find anyone else im probably in trouble, but if i can find others i would probably work on finding a way to reach them as theres clearly strength in numbers. If the zombies find me before then, i might just be hosed.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby Anarkistsdream on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:23 am

Teachers are by far one of the most underappreciated yet KEY occupations in the world... Helping people grow and attain their dreams and do so in a positive way is something we need more of...

If you become a professor, you may not be a billionaire, but you can most certainly feel satisfied that you are helping the world become a better place.
Cook Anarkistsdream

Postby got tonkaed on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:25 am

one of my favorite professors always tells me that we need people who are willing to share their voice. Im certainly not someone with all of the answers, but i think that ive slowly been able to see the world through some slightly different lenses through studying in my discipline. I think its helped to make a more balanced observer of human affairs. And i cant really think of too many things more important to humans than humans. I think my perspective would hopefully find its place amongst many others and maybe discourse would move forward. Im a big discourse guy, i think its the start to finding some of the hard solutions to the tricky problems we have.

Even though it doesnt always mean money, i could go to bed at teh end of the day and not hate myself, and i think that probably counts for something lol.
Cadet got tonkaed

Postby Anarkistsdream on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:27 am

So what is your favorite memory?

And who is your biggest hero?
Cook Anarkistsdream

Postby got tonkaed on Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:31 am

Anarkistsdream wrote:So what is your favorite memory?

And who is your biggest hero?

its difficult to come up with one specific memory. I have a lot of great memories from my childhood, practices for sports teams, spending time with my family on vacations, good experiences from youth group trips, hanging out with some of my friends. Admittedly not one great hallmark memory comes to mind, rather just a collection of positive moments that hopefully impacted me for teh better.

I would imagine its fairly cliche, but my father. I think especialy since hes gone now it kind of allows you to appreciate him in a different fashion. I love him for his humanity, its easy for me to see things about him that werent so great, and to admire his little personality quirks. But mostly he was a great father and husband and a very hard worker, who for the most part lived in a way id like to live. Though i imagine we would disagree on most everything politically now a days, it was because of his open mind that ive been allowed to forumate my own. I think if i end up turning into a man like him someday there certainly would be many worse fates.
Cadet got tonkaed

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,