Conquer Club

Babies

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Do you support babies or oppose babies?

Total votes : 0

Re: Babies

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:29 am

Funkyterrance wrote:Eh? I'm just recognizing hang-ups and tendencies. I'm not detecting any hang-ups from 2dimes so far but is he miserable? Hard for me to say but I'm not eliminating it as a possibility. At any rate, I wasn't getting the impression that 2dimes was necessarily supporting either side.
If you want to give me some insider information about your level of "sickness" I'm all ears though. Are you trying to tell me you're actually a sadist? If so, whatevs, this is the interwebs after all.

Well your criteria for "having hang-ups" and "being miserable" seem to centre around enjoying black humour even when one isn't under the drinking age. If that's the standard then I'd say 2dimes is up there with the best of 'em.

Incidentally I think the same criteria are a good indicator of whether a person is interesting.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:24 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:Incidentally I think the same criteria are a good indicator of whether a person is interesting.

Yeah? Well, aim high I suppose.
So you've had some success then with this method as far as enriching relationships are concerned? Sounds like something of a crap-shoot with long term odds in your disfavor.
Perhaps this explains the aforementioned bleak outlook and general cynicism?

My understanding of hang-ups: Emotional difficulties or inhibitions.

Enter black humor, exaggerated response to other individuals' belief systems, etc..
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby 2dimes on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:54 pm

On another forum I'm on right now. There was a thread about superstitions. Another member mentioned magpies and stated he never saw one since he moved to canader. I have met him briefly in person. I suggested he could come visit and we would shoot some magpies with my daughter's BB gun. In the hopes we could maybe make them into eating pies.

One of the other members seemed to get very upset about the whole thing. I may be misreading what he wrote but it was nearly a threat. Kind of weird I thought. It is mildly admirable to stand up for animals but I was mostly joking because the guy I met is a real mild mannered British fellow. I'll paste the defensive rant in a few minutes.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:07 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:Incidentally I think the same criteria are a good indicator of whether a person is interesting.

Yeah? Well, aim high I suppose.
So you've had some success then with this method as far as enriching relationships are concerned? Sounds like something of a crap-shoot with long term odds in your disfavor.

No, you of course don't base long term relationships on such shallow measures. However, when you're trying to make a initial opinion on a large number of new people triage methods are needed. I've found that people who don't need to bring out the smelling salts when they hear a darker joke generally have more interesting contributions to make than those that are 100% in sync with the current societal sensibilities. Conversely people who view normality as somehow being intrinsically correct and any deviant behaviour as being inapropriate are generally huge dullards.
However, dark humour that seems to have discrimination as it's purpose usually seems to correlate with ignorance, so it's a fine line.

Funkyterrance wrote:Perhaps this explains the aforementioned bleak outlook and general cynicism?

Enter black humor, exaggerated response to other individuals' belief systems, etc..

I keep trying to steer this rather odd convo towards general principles and you keep turning it towards myself. That's interesting.

Anyway, we've pretty much established that black humour has nothing to do with your diagnosis of my personality because you ignore 2dimes' black humour. Therefore you must be using this black humour as an excuse to reach a pre-existent conclusion.
I'm guessing we're getting towards the root of the issue with the "exagerrated response to individual beliefs" line. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate on that, or whatever else is the real reason behind your "diagnosis".
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Re:

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:08 pm

2dimes wrote: I'll paste the defensive rant in a few minutes.

Ok. :)
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby 2dimes on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:42 pm

Wantonly killing an animal you don't intend to eat... must be a prairies/redneck/ American thing. I've never really understood the urge. I wonder if it gives you good luck. It wouldn't if I was around.

First, I said, "You can make pies out of them, yeah?" What do you do with pie?
Second, I forget because I can't decide between white sauce and dark gravy in the pies.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby fadedpsychosis on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:50 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
notyou2 wrote:The world needs billions more

Billions more, billions less, meh. Neither way isn't going to pull anyone out of their pit of despair.

I say we take this along with Swift's A Modest Proposal... thus my feelings
John Adams wrote:I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace, that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! And by God I have had this Congress!
Private fadedpsychosis

Postby Funkyterrance on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:26 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:No, you of course don't base long term relationships on such shallow measures. However, when you're trying to make a initial opinion on a large number of new people triage methods are needed. I've found that people who don't need to bring out the smelling salts when they hear a darker joke generally have more interesting contributions to make than those that are 100% in sync with the current societal sensibilities. Conversely people who view normality as somehow being intrinsically correct and any deviant behaviour as being inapropriate are generally huge dullards.
However, dark humour that seems to have discrimination as it's purpose usually seems to correlate with ignorance, so it's a fine line.

Ok, but why use that particular trait as filter? I mean, you admit its superficial so why would that be one of your foremost "triage methods"?
Are you under the impression that my reaction to black humor is swoon-like? I don't even know anyone who reacts that way tbh except for little old ladies who generally don't tend to visit online forums. I just view black humor as a flag of sorts regarding hang-ups and more or less toxic energy. It's much more to do with health than normality.

Funkyterrance wrote:Perhaps this explains the aforementioned bleak outlook and general cynicism?

Haggis_McMutton wrote:I keep trying to steer this rather odd convo towards general principles and you keep turning it towards myself. That's interesting.

Why is it interesting? You're posting black humor and I'm attempting to explain/understand why someone might. I don't see why the scope should change all of a sudden? I don't find the convo odd, it's just not as impersonal as you are comfortable with for some reason. I'm asking for a level of accountability that may be higher than usual but in the interest of clarification. It seems more like you are trying to steer the convo not towards general principles but away from yourself.

Haggis_McMutton wrote:Anyway, we've pretty much established that black humour has nothing to do with your diagnosis of my personality because you ignore 2dimes' black humour. Therefore you must be using this black humour as an excuse to reach a pre-existent conclusion.
I'm guessing we're getting towards the root of the issue with the "exagerrated response to individual beliefs" line. Perhaps you'd like to elaborate on that, or whatever else is the real reason behind your "diagnosis".

Arguably 2dimes' black humor is an entirely different brand in its intent and severity (remember that fine line you mentioned earlier?).
I'm not sure why you feel I need to have an ulterior motive. I feel the subject is interesting enough in of itself. If you think I'm referring to my individual beliefs and that this conversation is somehow a retaliation of sorts from a previous incident I can tell you that it's not and therefore that fish won't bite. I feel strongly enough about the subject at hand for it to be my actual motivation.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby 2dimes on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Ok the humour of the old lady one for me is because she looks to be a little past "jock sniffing" prime athlete age.

It's a bit like those python skits with them playing football, ruffing up the town, or something.

The first time I ever saw that break dance one I was shocked, then I wondered. Why doesn't that kid know anyone that would have kept them back with the rest of the crowd?
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:44 pm

Funkyterrance wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:No, you of course don't base long term relationships on such shallow measures. However, when you're trying to make a initial opinion on a large number of new people triage methods are needed. I've found that people who don't need to bring out the smelling salts when they hear a darker joke generally have more interesting contributions to make than those that are 100% in sync with the current societal sensibilities. Conversely people who view normality as somehow being intrinsically correct and any deviant behaviour as being inapropriate are generally huge dullards.

Ok, but why use that particular trait as filter? I mean, you admit its superficial so why would that be one of your foremost "triage methods"?
Are you under the impression that my reaction to black humor is swoon-like? I don't even know anyone who reacts that way tbh except for little old ladies who generally don't tend to visit online forums. I just view black humor as a flag of sorts regarding hang-ups and more or less toxic energy. It's much more to do with health than normality.

Didn't say it's one of my "foremost". And the extremes were somewhat exaggerated for humorous purpose.
Just said I think it's a good filter. As in if someone makes a certain kind of dark joke or seems to enjoy someone else's dark joke of a certain nature it gives me some confidence that the person will be more interesting than average.
Also, the implied ability to not take offence easily is another plus.

Basically you seem to be saying that your opinion of a stranger drops if they make a dark joke. I'm saying my opinion of him would increase.

Funkyterrance wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:I keep trying to steer this rather odd convo towards general principles and you keep turning it towards myself. That's interesting.

Why is it interesting? You're posting black humor and I'm attempting to explain/understand why someone might. I don't see why the scope should change all of a sudden? I don't find the convo odd, it's just not as impersonal as you are comfortable with for some reason. I'm asking for a level of accountability that may be higher than usual but in the interest of clarification. It seems more like you are trying to steer the convo not towards general principles but away from yourself.

Basically the question of what the use of black humour might say about a person is interesting and might be worth debating.

The issue of why I posted that gif is less interesting by nature of it referring to single event rather than a class of events and it is also less interesting because the answer is quite clear, namely "The thread reminded me of the gif, I thought the gif might give someone a chuckle of the 'pie in the face' variety, so I posted it".

Funkyterrance wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:Anyway, we've pretty much established that black humour has nothing to do with your diagnosis of my personality because you ignore 2dimes' black humour. Therefore you must be using this black humour as an excuse to reach a pre-existent conclusion.

Arguably 2dimes' black humor is an entirely different brand in its intent and severity (remember that fine line you mentioned earlier?).
I'm not sure why you feel I need to have an ulterior motive. I feel the subject is interesting enough in of itself. If you think I'm referring to my individual beliefs and that this conversation is somehow a retaliation of sorts from a previous incident I can tell you that it's not and therefore that fish won't bite. I feel strongly enough about the subject at hand for it to be my actual motivation.

Fair enough.
So, why exactly do you think black humour would be indicative of "hang-ups". Is it not healthy to acknowledge the real state of the world with all it's pain and suffering rather than ignore it?

Oh, and just to check, by "black humour" you aren't just referring to "baby in blender" jokes, right? You realize there's a wide range mocking everything from forced leadership idolatry to famine to various violent repressions and such.
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Funkyterrance on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:26 am

Haggis_McMutton wrote:Didn't say it's one of my "foremost". And the extremes were somewhat exaggerated for humorous purpose.

No you didn't say this directly but you may as well have. You said that upon meeting a new person you use this as a filter. Aren't first impressions arguably reflective of our foremost filters?
Haggis_McMutton wrote:Just said I think it's a good filter. As in if someone makes a certain kind of dark joke or seems to enjoy someone else's dark joke of a certain nature it gives me some confidence that the person will be more interesting than average.
Also, the implied ability to not take offence easily is another plus.

So ability to not take offense, in other words, emotional numbness, is more interesting than someone who's emotions are active? I would think having what most refer to as a "human" quality as opposed to a lack thereof would be more interesting.

Haggis_McMutton wrote:Basically you seem to be saying that your opinion of a stranger drops if they make a dark joke. I'm saying my opinion of him would increase.

Actually what I've been saying is not that my opinion drops exactly but I wonder about the emotional health of an individual who makes said dark joke. Incidentally, it does not surprise me that your opinion of said person would increase (see:misery loves company).

Haggis_McMutton wrote:The issue of why I posted that gif is less interesting by nature of it referring to single event rather than a class of events and it is also less interesting because the answer is quite clear, namely "The thread reminded me of the gif, I thought the gif might give someone a chuckle of the 'pie in the face' variety, so I posted it".

So, why exactly do you think black humour would be indicative of "hang-ups". Is it not healthy to acknowledge the real state of the world with all it's pain and suffering rather than ignore it?
I imagine we all get a hefty enough dose of the pain and suffering without adding black humor in for good measure. Who says if you don't make jokes about pain and suffering you would ignore it by default? I also don't think that black humor and a healthy outlook on pain and suffering are necessarily congruous. In fact, I think just the opposite may be true.

Oh, and just to check, by "black humour" you aren't just referring to "baby in blender" jokes, right? You realize there's a wide range mocking everything from forced leadership idolatry to famine to various violent repressions and such.

The little old lady in the second post I admit I found somewhat humorous in that it was a ridiculous image. It was the recipient of the punt that was unfunny to me.
The clip of the break dancer I found to be more or less straight-up sadism. I found it similar to that Faces of Death scene where a little girl and her father(I assume) are passing a railroad crossing and while the father escapes, the little girl is dashed to oblivion. 2dimes seems to have felt this fine line between the two clips while you seem to pass right through it more or less obliviously.
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:54 am

Funkyterrance wrote:No you didn't say this directly but you may as well have. You said that upon meeting a new person you use this as a filter. Aren't first impressions arguably reflective of our foremost filters?

Yes, this filter in conjunction with many others.
Don't you notice certain behavior patterns in people that you associate with certain traits? That's what I'm referring to as "filters" It's not like a hard test "either you laugh at the joke or you're out", it's just one of the things that affects my perception of one's personality.

Funkyterrance wrote:So ability to not take offense, in other words, emotional numbness, is more interesting than someone who's emotions are active? I would think having what most refer to as a "human" quality as opposed to a lack thereof would be more interesting.

Emotional numbness? Hah, I'd say emotional maturity.
Letting your emotions be wildly influenced by what someone involuntarily says (or worse by someone voluntarily trying to hurt you) is a virtue to you? To me it's a sign that the person has lived in a bubble and is not at all used to having their oh so cherished views challenged. It also means that certain areas of possible discussion are now minefields where I must gently tread to not offend the other's sensibilities.
Your emotions should indeed be active, I'm not talking about sociopaths. However you should be in control of your emotions, not your emotions in control of you (which leads to things like warmonger's recent outburst).

FT wrote:Actually what I've been saying is not that my opinion drops exactly but I wonder about the emotional health of an individual who makes said dark joke. Incidentally, it does not surprise me that your opinion of said person would increase (see:misery loves company).

I await the proof/argument that black humour is correlated with misery. Without that, this is meaningless.

FT wrote:I imagine we all get a hefty enough dose of the pain and suffering without adding black humor in for good measure. Who says if you don't make jokes about pain and suffering you would ignore it by default? I also don't think that black humor and a healthy outlook on pain and suffering are necessarily congruous. In fact, I think just the opposite may be true.

When do you acknowledge it? Ignoring huge amounts of suffering is intrinsically necessary for us to continue our current lifestyle. After all, those headphones I bought last week? That money could have feed a starving kid for a couple weeks.
We can't all sell everything and donate it to the poor, but it seems healthy to at least acknowledge this discrepancy once in a while, and humour seems like one of the easiest ways for most people to stomach this acknowledgment.
See:

FT wrote:The little old lady in the second post I admit I found somewhat humorous in that it was a ridiculous image. It was the recipient of the punt that was unfunny to me.
The clip of the break dancer I found to be more or less straight-up sadism. I found it similar to that Faces of Death scene where a little girl and her father(I assume) are passing a railroad crossing and while the father escapes, the little girl is dashed to oblivion. 2dimes seems to have felt this fine line between the two clips while you seem to pass right through it more or less obliviously.

Fair enough. I'm probably more desensitized than average. I saw that video more as silly than anything (I'm pretty sure the toddler is absolutely fine. kids that young are pretty much made of rubber)
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,