Conquer Club

Any watch collectors in cc land?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Any watch collectors in cc land?

Postby betiko on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:27 am

elfish_lad wrote:Wow. Super helpful stuff b! Going give this some study.

Cheers.

Keep us posted ! I m rather new to this and would love to hear the impressions of another watch noob.
Major betiko

Postby nietzsche on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:36 am

the tension in this thread is beautiful.

we for now have betiko and demonfork agreeing on stuff.. but we know betiko, and we know demonfork.. this is going to explode at some point.. there must be a disagreement somewhere..

and then fireworks.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby demonfork on Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:06 am

betiko wrote:I personally like that AP better and great configuration like that. I really don’t like the pink gold version.

I just received 8 nato straps ; i got 3 watches on 22mm band, so I will have some fun with my daughter trying combinations this afternoon.

Also i just realized that my OG turtle from my grand dad is fully original and from 1977, the first year of production, so it’s got more value than I thought

I don't like rose gold either. The AP is less expensive but I like the Patek more. Both watches were designed by the same watchmaker, so they are somewhat similar in form. If I can find either for the right price then I will grab it, otherwise I may be looking at a second Rolex. I picked up a used no date Submariner for 5k and I'm interested in the Pepsi bezel GMT Master 2 and it's considerably less expensive than the AP or Patek.

NATO straps are great. I have a bunch of them as well & they go great with dive watches.
Captain demonfork

Postby demonfork on Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:30 am

nietzsche wrote:the tension in this thread is beautiful.

we for now have betiko and demonfork agreeing on stuff.. but we know betiko, and we know demonfork.. this is going to explode at some point.. there must be a disagreement somewhere..

and then fireworks.

It's cool if you want to stir shit up...NBD as you probably wont be able to contribute in a meaningful way to this discussion anyway, as you most likely don't get much exposure to nice watches in Mexico #thirdworldblues.
Captain demonfork

Postby KoolBak on Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:37 am

I appreciate nice watches....just dont collect. My only contribution is my dad got a watch as an award in the 70's...had to do a bunch of searching but it was a Pulsar P3 digital monster of a thing. Ugly, zero functionality but Its cool feature was that it was SOLID 14k yellow gold. It was stolen many years ago and I recall he was pissed that the insurance gave him a couple hundred for it. Found one for sale on ebay at 5 grand.

Personally I love pocket watches ;o)

"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby elfish_lad on Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:39 pm

I’m still working on this project. It’s something I’ve never really considered before. It’s quite amazing the wide variety of options available.
Major elfish_lad

Postby Symmetry on Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:50 pm

elfish_lad wrote:I’m still working on this project. It’s something I’ve never really considered before. It’s quite amazing the wide variety of options available.

With any collection, you should start with a kind of watch you like. That might be watches from a certain time period, say WW2 watches, It might be watches in a certain style- say early digital watches. It might be a brand, or a manufacturer, or watches for a certain profession...

Narrow your focus to start with, anyway. It means that you'll spend money more wisely on filling gaps in your collection.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby nietzsche on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:50 am

should?

maybe suggest it instead of giving him instructions?

he should apologize to you too, i suppose.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby betiko on Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:01 am

KoolBak wrote:I appreciate nice watches....just dont collect. My only contribution is my dad got a watch as an award in the 70's...had to do a bunch of searching but it was a Pulsar P3 digital monster of a thing. Ugly, zero functionality but Its cool feature was that it was SOLID 14k yellow gold. It was stolen many years ago and I recall he was pissed that the insurance gave him a couple hundred for it. Found one for sale on ebay at 5 grand.

Personally I love pocket watches ;o)

i think it looks cool as hell. the kind of watch captain kirk should've been wearing
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:10 am

Symmetry wrote:
elfish_lad wrote:I’m still working on this project. It’s something I’ve never really considered before. It’s quite amazing the wide variety of options available.

With any collection, you should start with a kind of watch you like. That might be watches from a certain time period, say WW2 watches, It might be watches in a certain style- say early digital watches. It might be a brand, or a manufacturer, or watches for a certain profession...

Narrow your focus to start with, anyway. It means that you'll spend money more wisely on filling gaps in your collection.

he never said he really wanted a collection... he said he wanted to buy a watch in memory of his mum. Watches aren't about "collecting"... they're stuff you're gonna wear for different type of ocasions. So no, it's not about getting a theme like WW2 watches.... unless you're already at a certain point in your collection.
Also it's not about hoarding watches.... watch collectors tend to resell some of their pieces to upgrade them with something else expensive they like..... watch collectors rarely have over 12 watches.
I mean I guess there are people that really "collect" like you would collect stamps or baseball cards; but the vast majority of "watch collectors" aren't about that at all... they are about getting the "ultimate set" of watches for any occasion in life based on their tastes... and they often try to downsize their collection as much as possible.
Major betiko

Postby betiko on Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:23 am

demonfork wrote:
betiko wrote:I personally like that AP better and great configuration like that. I really don’t like the pink gold version.

I just received 8 nato straps ; i got 3 watches on 22mm band, so I will have some fun with my daughter trying combinations this afternoon.

Also i just realized that my OG turtle from my grand dad is fully original and from 1977, the first year of production, so it’s got more value than I thought

I don't like rose gold either. The AP is less expensive but I like the Patek more. Both watches were designed by the same watchmaker, so they are somewhat similar in form. If I can find either for the right price then I will grab it, otherwise I may be looking at a second Rolex. I picked up a used no date Submariner for 5k and I'm interested in the Pepsi bezel GMT Master 2 and it's considerably less expensive than the AP or Patek.

NATO straps are great. I have a bunch of them as well & they go great with dive watches.

This is just my opinion but.... what's the use of a gmt when you already have a sub? I know there are a few details different, I think they also have a different movement but.... If I were you I'd consider a daytona. love that watch. I think all the rolex divers have become such classics and have inspired the whole industry so much, also thesedivers look too similar between themselves.
Maybe you're not into chronographs or something....

I'm personally thinking about buying an alpha daytona. I know that will make people scream but whatever. 150$ for a watch that looks that good with a mechanical chronograph.... so tempting

Major betiko

Postby mrswdk on Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:05 am

Do you guys buy these watches then just put them somewhere to look at, or do you actually wear them all out?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby betiko on Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:35 am

mrswdk wrote:Do you guys buy these watches then just put them somewhere to look at, or do you actually wear them all out?

i wear all the watches I own. I even change watch during the day
Major betiko

Postby saxitoxin on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:55 am

betiko wrote:
mrswdk wrote:Do you guys buy these watches then just put them somewhere to look at, or do you actually wear them all out?

i wear all the watches I own.

At once?
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby mrswdk on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:27 am

fkn balla
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby betiko on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:46 am

saxitoxin wrote:
betiko wrote:

i wear all the watches I own.

At once?

wearing 2 right now. also just managed to repair the bezel of my diver watch stealing the ballpoint of a bic pen and the spring of a lugnot thing whatever it's called, after trimming it. So proud of myself, it works perfectly. Take that grandpa, I'm more crafty than you
Major betiko

Postby mrswdk on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:15 am

betiko wrote:wearing 2 right now.

Iced like a freezer!
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby demonfork on Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:17 pm

betiko wrote:
demonfork wrote:

This is just my opinion but.... what's the use of a gmt when you already have a sub? I know there are a few details different, I think they also have a different movement but.... If I were you I'd consider a daytona. love that watch. I think all the rolex divers have become such classics and have inspired the whole industry so much, also thesedivers look too similar between themselves.
Maybe you're not into chronographs or something....

I'm personally thinking about buying an alpha daytona. I know that will make people scream but whatever. 150$ for a watch that looks that good with a mechanical chronograph.... so tempting

The GMT complication adds a 2nd timezone. Since I'm always traveling out of the country it's nice to wear a GMT so that I can track 2 different timezones. I have the new TAG Calbre 7 GMT that I wear when I travel. I leave the base time my home time zone & set the 2nd to whatever timezone I'm traveling to. GMT stands for Greenwich Mean Time

Captain demonfork

Postby elfish_lad on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:57 pm

This is a super helpful thread actually. It has given me something exciting to think about with regard to doing something tangible in mom’s memory that will put a smile on my face each day. So I’m going with/researching online a watch that is worthy for/of work. That work shifted 3 years ago from management to a grass-grunt on a Toro 360 Groundmaster leading/working with a team of 2 cool dudes. So I want it to look smart, keep perfect time, be analog with some digital functions (like a stop watch to time cuts in the early cutting season), and be durable as hell for about 500 CDN.

Fun stuff.

E.
Major elfish_lad

Postby demonfork on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:02 pm

elfish_lad wrote:This is a super helpful thread actually. It has given me something exciting to think about with regard to doing something tangible in mom’s memory that will put a smile on my face each day. So I’m going with/researching online a watch that is worthy for/of work. That work shifted 3 years ago from management to a grass-grunt on a Toro 360 Groundmaster leading/working with a team of 2 cool dudes. So I want it to look smart, keep perfect time, be analog with some digital functions (like a stop watch to time cuts in the early cutting season), and be durable as hell for about 500 CDN.

Fun stuff.

E.

HMMM. You're requirements has Citizen Eco-drive written all over it...

Last edited by demonfork on Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain demonfork

Postby elfish_lad on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:38 pm

Holy shit... actually brought some tears to my eyes. I’m also drubk but that’s beside the point. How much?
Major elfish_lad

Postby demonfork on Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:51 am

elfish_lad wrote:Holy shit... actually brought some tears to my eyes. I’m also drubk but that’s beside the point. How much?

It's in your price range.
Captain demonfork

Postby Symmetry on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:22 pm

demonfork wrote:
elfish_lad wrote:This is a super helpful thread actually. It has given me something exciting to think about with regard to doing something tangible in mom’s memory that will put a smile on my face each day. So I’m going with/researching online a watch that is worthy for/of work. That work shifted 3 years ago from management to a grass-grunt on a Toro 360 Groundmaster leading/working with a team of 2 cool dudes. So I want it to look smart, keep perfect time, be analog with some digital functions (like a stop watch to time cuts in the early cutting season), and be durable as hell for about 500 CDN.

Fun stuff.

E.

HMMM. You're requirements has Citizen Eco-drive written all over it...

Bit too busy on the face for my taste (marketing dept. still went for smiley face hands though, I notice).
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby elfish_lad on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:23 pm

https://500px.com/photo/276918867

What I’m sporting right now. I beat this sucker to a pulp this season. I think I killed it. The digital time is always wrong. The date and day are whacked. The minute hand is disfunctional. Only the stop watch works. That’s why I wear it.

I had high hopes for this 60 buck watch back in April. But I have a pretty labour intensive job and I’ve got to have a watch that can take the wet, the heat, the sweat, the banging, etc.

Thinking about it today maybe I’m better off just buying a new work watch for 50-60 bucks every year rather than something else?

Dunno.

E.
Major elfish_lad

Postby Symmetry on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:50 pm

elfish_lad wrote:https://500px.com/photo/276918867

What I’m sporting right now. I beat this sucker to a pulp this season. I think I killed it. The digital time is always wrong. The date and day are whacked. The minute hand is disfunctional. Only the stop watch works. That’s why I wear it.

I had high hopes for this 60 buck watch back in April. But I have a pretty labour intensive job and I’ve got to have a watch that can take the wet, the heat, the sweat, the banging, etc.

Thinking about it today maybe I’m better off just buying a new work watch for 50-60 bucks every year rather than something else?

Dunno.

E.

Probably- a lot of watch buying depends on what you want. I really don't need most of the clumsy stuff that even my basic phone does better.

I don't need my watch to be a Swiss Army knife.
Sergeant Symmetry

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,