Conquer Club

One day I'll drive to London.

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

One day I'll drive to London.

Postby tzor on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:10 am

Daily Mail: The 12,400 mile superhighway from Britain to America: Plans proposed for VERY ambitious road across Russia

Britain could be linked with America by road as part of an ambitious project to create the world's longest superhighway spanning half the circumference of the globe.

Proposals have been put forward to build the mega route stretching about 12,400 miles from the western edge of Russia to the Bering Strait where the country nudges Alaska.

Linking into existing road networks in Europe and Asia, for the first time it would allow travellers a proper highway to drive all way from the UK to the United States.

A Trans-Siberian rail link as well as oil and gas pipes would run alongside the highway, and plans have been mooted already for a rail tunnel connecting the far flung Russian region of Chukotka - where football tycoon Roman Abramovich once served as governor - and Alaska.

I can hear Sara Palin now, "I can drive to London from my home!"
Cadet tzor

Re: One day I'll drive to London.

Postby Army of GOD on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:55 am

I don't think it'd be smart to have 50%+ of the road in Russia.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby betiko on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:03 am

In terms of landscape i might make that road go a little more south when you don to work around the hImalayas.
Major betiko

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:23 am

betiko wrote:In terms of landscape i might make that road go a little more south when you don to work around the hImalayas.

Have you even looked at a globe? If you go any further south you will run into the Himalayas. That's part of the reason why the northern route works -- it's relatively flat.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:34 am

There's always the Bering Strait crossing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bering_Strait_crossing
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:53 am

Symmetry wrote:There's always the Bering Strait crossing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bering_Strait_crossing

Old hat.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:58 am

Is that not a link between Alaska and Russia?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby betiko on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:19 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
betiko wrote:In terms of landscape i might make that road go a little more south when you don to work around the hImalayas.

Have you even looked at a globe? If you go any further south you will run into the Himalayas. That's part of the reason why the northern route works -- it's relatively flat.

If you are going to talk about efficiency, you might consider the airplane. Driving through the entire tundra is dumb as f*ck. If you have some cargo just use the trans siberian. If you are going to go for a trip for the trip you might want it to be interesting.
Major betiko

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:44 pm

betiko wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

If you are going to talk about efficiency, you might consider the airplane. Driving through the entire tundra is dumb as f*ck. If you have some cargo just use the trans siberian. If you are going to go for a trip for the trip you might want it to be interesting.

If you want an interesting trip, take the side roads. Like it or not, superhighways are built for efficiency. Yes, it's true, planes are faster and trains are better for heavy cargo, but highways still have a place. Siberia has 30 million people, about the same as Canada, and Canada seems to find plenty of use for its highways.

Obviously some of the traffic would be tourists, but nobody builds a highway only for tourists. The highway still needs to carry its share of business and cargo traffic to justify the expense. I imagine a Siberian highway would be very much like the Yellowhead highway in western Canada, carrying 90% workers and equipment out to mines and construction sites, and maybe 10% tourist traffic in the summer.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby patches70 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:59 pm

Dukasaur wrote: Yes, it's true, planes are faster and trains are better for heavy cargo, but highways still have a place.

haha! Yeah, I'd say so, since the majority of freight moving across the world most of it is moved by truck. Planes carry maybe 1% of total freight, railroads come in second but the truck moves more than anything else. So yeah, highways have a place. How many stores have a railway station at their back door?
Private patches70

Postby betiko on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:06 pm

patches70 wrote:
Dukasaur wrote: Yes, it's true, planes are faster and trains are better for heavy cargo, but highways still have a place.

haha! Yeah, I'd say so, since the majority of freight moving across the world most of it is moved by truck. Planes carry maybe 1% of total freight, railroads come in second but the truck moves more than anything else. So yeah, highways have a place. How many stores have a railway station at their back door?

Trucks are placed on trains for more efficiency too you know? There is obviously nothing better than trucks for mid distances a and to get your cargo to its final destination. But you can just place those trucks on the trans siberian and stop where you need to.
Major betiko

Postby waauw on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:19 am

Is it possible to drive accross the northpole in the winter? Like a route Canada/Alaska-Norway.
If so, that would be my preferred route :)
Lieutenant waauw

Postby betiko on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:34 am

waauw wrote:Is it possible to drive accross the northpole in the winter? Like a route Canada/Alaska-Norway.
If so, that would be my preferred route :)

i saw a top gear episode where they drove to the north pole. that was freaking hard core. the ice isn't really flat to say the least. A car, even one super prepared doesn't sound like a good idea, mybe with a rat-track or some high tech giant snowbike with a cockpit
Major betiko

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,