Conquer Club

Shed your chains, fly among the clouds

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Shed your chains, fly among the clouds

Postby mrswdk on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:24 am

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/a ... rvey-finds

At the bottom of the list was China where only 6% of people said they were religious while 61% said they were convinced atheists

Hooray for China, nation of the future. Say goodbye to the past, embrace tomorrow!

Lieutenant mrswdk

Re: Shed your chains, fly among the clouds

Postby mrswdk on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:28 am

Sweep out the cobwebs, free your minds!

"The Four Olds or the Four Old Things were Old Customs, Old Culture, Old Habits, and Old Ideas. One of the stated goals of the Cultural Revolution in the People's Republic of China was to bring an end to the Four Olds."

LIberation!

Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby khazalid on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:50 am

would that be the same country which, despite stringent government efforts to discourage religious activity, including the demolition of churches, will very shortly be home to the largest population of christians in the world?

that is to say nothing of the muslims, taoists, buddhists and others...

lastly: that's a mixed metaphor. i figure you of all people must have read Marx
had i been wise, i would have seen that her simplicity cost her a fortune
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby khazalid on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:56 am

According to the results of an official census provided in 1995 by the Information Office of the State Council of China, at that time the Chinese traditional religions were already popular among nearly 1 billion people.[65]
2005: a survey of the religiosity of urban Chinese from the five cities of Beijing, Shanghai, Nantong, Wuhan and Baoding, conducted by professor Xinzhong Yao, found that only 5.3% of the analysed population belonged to religious organisations, while 51.8% were non religious, in that they did not belong to any religious association. Nevertheless, 23.8% of the population regularly worshipped gods and ancestors, 23.1% worshipped Buddha or identified themselves as Buddhists, up to 38.5% had beliefs and practices associated with the folk religions such as feng shui or belief in celestial powers, and only 32.9% were convinced atheists.[66]
Three surveys conducted respectively in 2005, 2006 and 2007 by the Horizon Research Consultancy Group on a disproportionately urban and suburban sampling, found that Buddhists constituted between 11% and 16% of the total population, Christians were between 2% and 4%, and Muslims approximately 1%.[67] The surveys also found that ~60% of the population believed in concepts such as fate and fortune associated to the folk religion.[67][68]
2007: a survey conducted by the East China Normal University taking into account people from different regions of China, concluded that there were approximately 300 million religious believers (~31% of the total population), of whom the vast majority ascribable to Buddhism, Taoism and folk religions. Some scholars considered this number an underestimate, given possible higher numbers for the Chinese folk religion alone.[69]
2008: a survey conducted in that year by Yu Tao of the University of Oxford with a survey scheme led and supervised by the Center for Chinese Agricultural Policy and the Peking University, analysing the rural populations of the six provinces of Jiangsu, Sichuan, Shaanxi, Jilin, Hebei and Fujian, each representing different geographic and economic regions of China, found that followers of the Chinese folk religions were 31.9% of the analysed population, Buddhists were 10.85%, Christians were 3.93% of which 3.54% Protestants and 0.39% Catholics, and Taoists were 0.71%.[70] The remaining 53.41% of the population claimed to be not religious.[70]
2010: the Chinese Spiritual Life Survey directed by the Purdue University's Center on Religion and Chinese Society concluded that many types of Chinese folk religions and Taoism are practiced by possibly hundreds of millions of people; 56.2% of the total population or 754 million people practiced Chinese ancestral worship[note 2], but only 16% asserting to believe in the existence of ancestral shen; 12.9% or 173 million practiced Taoism on a level indistinguishable from the folk religion; 0.9% or 12 million people identified exclusively as Taoists; 13.8% or 185 million identified as Buddhists, of which 1.3% or 17.3 million had received formal initiation; 2.4% or 33 million identified as Christians, of which 2.2% or 30 million as Protestants (of which only 38% baptised in the official churches) and 0.02% or 3 million as Catholics; and an additional 1.7% or 23 million were Muslims.[72]

thanks, wikipedia. something was clearly amiss.
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby waauw on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:04 am

:shock: Vietnam is not in the top 6 most atheist countries
Lieutenant waauw

Postby mrswdk on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:31 am

khazalid wrote:
According to the results of an official census provided in 1995 by the Information Office of the State Council of China, at that time the Chinese traditional religions were already popular among nearly 1 billion people.[65]
2005: a survey of the religiosity of urban Chinese from the five cities of Beijing, Shanghai, Nantong, Wuhan and Baoding, conducted by professor Xinzhong Yao, found that only 5.3% of the analysed population belonged to religious organisations, while 51.8% were non religious, in that they did not belong to any religious association. Nevertheless, 23.8% of the population regularly worshipped gods and ancestors, 23.1% worshipped Buddha or identified themselves as Buddhists, up to 38.5% had beliefs and practices associated with the folk religions such as feng shui or belief in celestial powers, and only 32.9% were convinced atheists.[66]
Three surveys conducted respectively in 2005, 2006 and 2007 by the Horizon Research Consultancy Group on a disproportionately urban and suburban sampling, found that Buddhists constituted between 11% and 16% of the total population, Christians were between 2% and 4%, and Muslims approximately 1%.[67] The surveys also found that ~60% of the population believed in concepts such as fate and fortune associated to the folk religion.[67][68]
2007: a survey conducted by the East China Normal University taking into account people from different regions of China, concluded that there were approximately 300 million religious believers (~31% of the total population), of whom the vast majority ascribable to Buddhism, Taoism and folk religions. Some scholars considered this number an underestimate, given possible higher numbers for the Chinese folk religion alone.[69]
2008: a survey conducted in that year by Yu Tao of the University of Oxford with a survey scheme led and supervised by the Center for Chinese Agricultural Policy and the Peking University, analysing the rural populations of the six provinces of Jiangsu, Sichuan, Shaanxi, Jilin, Hebei and Fujian, each representing different geographic and economic regions of China, found that followers of the Chinese folk religions were 31.9% of the analysed population, Buddhists were 10.85%, Christians were 3.93% of which 3.54% Protestants and 0.39% Catholics, and Taoists were 0.71%.[70] The remaining 53.41% of the population claimed to be not religious.[70]
2010: the Chinese Spiritual Life Survey directed by the Purdue University's Center on Religion and Chinese Society concluded that many types of Chinese folk religions and Taoism are practiced by possibly hundreds of millions of people; 56.2% of the total population or 754 million people practiced Chinese ancestral worship[note 2], but only 16% asserting to believe in the existence of ancestral shen; 12.9% or 173 million practiced Taoism on a level indistinguishable from the folk religion; 0.9% or 12 million people identified exclusively as Taoists; 13.8% or 185 million identified as Buddhists, of which 1.3% or 17.3 million had received formal initiation; 2.4% or 33 million identified as Christians, of which 2.2% or 30 million as Protestants (of which only 38% baptised in the official churches) and 0.02% or 3 million as Catholics; and an additional 1.7% or 23 million were Muslims.[72]

thanks, wikipedia. something was clearly amiss.

I'm going to trust my population survey conducted in 2015 over a Wikipedia article mashed together from a variety of old, contradictory sources.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby mrswdk on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:42 am

Soaring so high we can literally see the future. Try not to get dizzy.

Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby nietzsche on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:53 am

What happened in russia when communism collapsed? Yes they became openly religious again, as soon as they were allowed to say it.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby khazalid on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:23 am

mrswdk wrote:Soaring so high we can literally see the future. Try not to get dizzy.

i've got it. it's all a piece of dubious performance art, and you are going to ride the coattails of this confabulated meta-satire all the way to the today show, Mao willing.
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby waauw on Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:25 am

I have a question. Is buddhism a religion or a philosophy? Most people seem to call it a religion though buddhism doesn't actually worship a deity.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby tzor on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:15 am

mrswdk wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/12/uk-one-of-worlds-least-religious-countries-survey-finds

At the bottom of the list was China where only 6% of people said they were religious while 61% said they were convinced atheists

There is an odd irony about both the UK and China. You see, in the United Kingdom, a very long time ago, King Henry VIII took over all the churches (and distributed the property to his friends) and claimed to be in charge of religion.

In China, all religion is controlled directly by the government and those not kissing central government's ass are generally persecuted. "Unregistered religious groups—including house churches, Falun Gong, Tibetan Buddhists, underground Catholics, and Uyghur Muslims—face varying degrees of harassment, including imprisonment, torture, and forced religious conversion."

So, think of it. If you are an Underground Catholic, are you going to admit that to a poll taker? :twisted:

"China is home to an estimated 12 million Catholics, the majority of whom worship outside the official Chinese Catholic Patriotic Association (CPA)."
Cadet tzor

Postby mrswdk on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:43 am

nietzsche wrote:What happened in russia when communism collapsed? Yes they became openly religious again, as soon as they were allowed to say it.

The difference being that China didn't collapse in the retarded way that Russia did.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby mrswdk on Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:54 am

waauw wrote:I have a question. Is buddhism a religion or a philosophy? Most people seem to call it a religion though buddhism doesn't actually worship a deity.

In terms of actual, true Buddhism it seems to be stuck somewhere in the middle. People pray to the buddhas in a way that would suggest the buddhas still exist somewhere up in the heavens (which I think is the belief), but then none of the buddhas are regarded as actual deities. Buddhism seems to be caught half way between philosophy and religion, much like Confucianism is.

And then there is 'Buddhism' as seen by the Chinese. One of my friends goes to the same (Buddhist) temple every Spring Festival to pray. I asked him who he prays to he said he doesn't know. He also pays some regards to his ancestors (which is a Confucian thing), and I get the impression that if a Catholic church opened up around the corner from his apartment he'd go there to pray on Sundays as well. Ask him directly and he'll tell you he isn't religious and doesn't believe in any kind of supreme being. The Chinese approach to religion and spirituality is pretty unique.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby mrswdk on Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:08 am

tzor wrote:In China, all religion is controlled directly by the government and those not kissing central government's ass are generally persecuted. "Unregistered religious groups—including house churches, Falun Gong, Tibetan Buddhists, underground Catholics, and Uyghur Muslims—face varying degrees of harassment, including imprisonment, torture, and forced religious conversion."

The issues that the government has had with Falun Gong, Tibetan monks and Uyghur Muslims are not strictly related to their religion. Whoever you're quoting there is extrapolating in a not particularly accurate way.

So, think of it. If you are an Underground Catholic, are you going to admit that to a poll taker? :twisted:

lol. Underground Catholics? Are they the people in berets who went round blowing up Nazis in 1940s France?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby tzor on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:54 am

mrswdk wrote:lol. Underground Catholics? Are they the people in berets who went round blowing up Nazis in 1940s France?

LOL all you want but you can't hide from us damn Papists! So I'll start with Wikipedia and work my way from there.

show: Wikipedia Quote

Here is an article from Crisis Magazine, a very good Catholic news source.

show: Crisis Magazine Article
Cadet tzor

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:44 am

The survey is interesting, but I think there are likely to be some flaws, as definitions for things like "religious" or "not religious" aren't the same to everyone, as they are pretty broad and generic. If they were more clear in their definitions like they were with "convinced atheist" I'd be more interested probably.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby macbone on Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:23 am

The numbers are similar to the figures in the CIA World Factbook:

Religions: Buddhist 18.2%, Christian 5.1%, Muslim 1.8%, folk religion 21.9%, Hindu < .1%, Jewish < .1%, other 0.7% (includes Daoist (Taoist)), unaffiliated 52.2%
note: officially atheist (2010 est.)

https://www.cia.gov/library/publication ... os/ch.html

If you want to be a party member, you have to be an atheist. That's kind of the reverse of American politics. =)

Applicants to the Communist Party of China (CPC) will be rejected in future if they are found to embrace any religion, and existing members forced to denounce their beliefs.

Li Yunlong, a professor at the Party School of the CPC Central Committee told The Global Times: "Party members are banned from joining religions. Believing in communism and atheism is a basic requirement to become a Party member."

Current CPC recruitment procedures state that checking on religious beliefs is the first step towards approving applicants to the Party, and members who are found to have participated in or religions will be required to "rectify" their beliefs.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 24034.html

The CCP's official anthem is The Internationale (also used during the Tiananmen Square protests). Here's the second verse of the Chinese version:

從來就沒有什麼救世主,
也不靠神仙皇帝。
要創造人類的幸福,
全靠我們自己!
我們要奪回勞動果實,
讓思想衝破牢籠。
快把那爐火燒得通紅,
趁熱打鐵才能成功!

這是最後的鬥爭,
團結起來到明天,
英特納雄耐爾
就一定要實現。

There has never been any saviour of the world,
Nor deities, nor emperors on which to depend.
To create Mankind's happiness
We must entirely depend on ourselves!
We shall retake the fruits of our labour,
And let the mind burst free from its prison cell.
Let the flames in the furnace burn red-hot,
For only when the iron is hot will we succeed in forging it!

This is the final struggle,
Unite together towards tomorrow,
The Internationale
Shall definitely be realised.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intern ... in_Chinese

And Tang Dynasty's version:

Man, I'm tearing up, and I'm not even Communist. =)
Colonel macbone

Postby mrswdk on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:33 am

That links says it's the de facto anthem of the CCP, not official. They're Chinese government officials, not WWE wrestlers.

Now I see why you're so insistent that Taiwan is a country - it's all a simple confusion over the difference between 'de facto' and 'de jure'! :D
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby tzor on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:44 am

mrswdk wrote:They're Chinese government officials, not WWE wrestlers.

Perhaps that is the problem? :twisted:

What if politics was more like a soap opera, with writers telling officials, "you have to play the role of the villain this term" and inventing interesting emotional conflicts among the politicians in order to keep us all interested in an otherwise dull and lifeless circus that is politics?

Feel free to ignore this rant, I just came from a town supervisor screening committee meeting yesterday. I really starting to prefer the entertainingly fake drama of the WWE over the not entertaining at all half lying and half crying babies that generally tend to be elected to politics.
Cadet tzor

Postby RD5 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:53 pm

mrswdk wrote:Soaring so high we can literally see the future. Try not to get dizzy.

Or drunk on American/European consumerism.
Private RD5

Postby muy_thaiguy on Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:02 pm

And the future is filled with orange colored smog!

I think the dizziness may not be from the height...
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby RD5 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:23 pm

Housecat kabobs! FTW!
Private RD5

Postby macbone on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:31 am

Mrswdk, I'm surprised at you! I thought you of all people would know the CCP's de facto anthem! No wonder you still think Taiwan's a "rogue province." =)
Colonel macbone

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:55 pm

I am dizzy from all the climate change!
Major Phatscotty

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,