Conquer Club

Daylight Savings Time (U.S.)

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Daylight Savings Time (U.S.)

Postby ImaNoid on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 pm

Here in America, we have just one of many idiocies known as Daylight Savings Time. In the way back, the government decided to begin having it for some reason lost to antiquity. Because of modern technology, there is no longer a use for it. To my knowledge, no other place on earth has it. My question is this: does it screw with the minds of other people in the world, who interact with us, or is it just me? Thoughts?
Private 1st Class ImaNoid

Re: Daylight Savings Time (U.S.)

Postby KoolBak on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:59 pm

Never read about this before...interesting.

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/history.html
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:02 pm

Lol. Daylight Saving Time was first proposed by a New Zealander and first implemented by Germany (and still implemented in the European Union). But sure, blame Americans for it.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:20 pm

ImaNoid wrote:My question is this: does it screw with the minds of other people in the world, who interact with us, or is it just me? Thoughts?

nietzsche has been taking his siesta from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. and then going to bed at 10 p.m.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby ImaNoid on Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:21 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:Lol. Daylight Saving Time was first proposed by a New Zealander and first implemented by Germany (and still implemented in the European Union). But sure, blame Americans for it.

I stand corrected. It was not an American construct. However, the question remains: Does it mess with other peoples' minds (in other parts of the world that do not have it and interact with us that do) or is it just me?

Postby Serbia on Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:59 pm

The world really doesn't revolve around the US. I really doubt anyone else gives a fuck. I've got family in the UK and Spain, and their time change occurs on a different date than ours, so there is a period of time when the time difference is different than usual, but it's not a big deal.

Bollocks.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:08 pm

Most countries worldwide use it. It has ruined many an online encounter, as someone will say to me: "meet me at 630 PST" and I say, "do you mean PDT" and then they say "no Pacific Standard Time" and then I show up an hour late? Give me a break.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby notyou2 on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:13 pm

Serbia wrote:The world really doesn't revolve around the US. I really doubt anyone else gives a fuck. I've got family in the UK and Spain, and their time change occurs on a different date than ours, so there is a period of time when the time difference is different than usual, but it's not a big deal.

Bollocks.

Thank you Serbia.

Noid, as previously stated many places around the world use it. I'm sure google could tell you this. Also, google could tell you why it was implemented. Furthermore, google could tell you it is not used in all 50 states.
Captain notyou2

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:24 pm

Alaska - still in PST!
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:28 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Most countries worldwide use it. It has ruined many an online encounter, as someone will say to me: "meet me at 630 PST" and I say, "do you mean PDT" and then they say "no Pacific Standard Time" and then I show up an hour late? Give me a break.

For the amount you're paying for your "online encounters" they should be more considerate.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby mrswdk on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:11 am

Typical America, now it's even trying to tell the sun what to do.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:16 am

mrswdk wrote:Typical America, now it's even trying to tell the sun what to do.

Says the guy from a country that has a single time zone where most other countries would have six.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby mrswdk on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:20 am

Metsfanmax wrote:

Says the guy from a country that has a single time zone where most other countries would have six.

Typical American, trying to tell China what time zones to have.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby nietzsche on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:35 am

Metsfanmax wrote:

lol, really?
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby macbone on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:40 am

ImaNoid, it can be confusing for me because my family lives in North America, so I can never remember the time difference. I imagine companies that trade with the US just roll with it, though.
Last edited by macbone on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel macbone

Postby mrswdk on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:44 am

nietzsche wrote:
Metsfanmax wrote:

lol, really?

Yeah, all of China uses Beijing time.

It's not that big a deal. The only parts of China that aren't in the Beijing time zone are the western regions, and none of them are very important anyway.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:12 am

I hope everyone is going to cope with the extra second tonight.
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby ConfederateSS on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:27 am

----It has no use,in today's world... :roll: The very purpose,is so you can save on you electric bill. So you can charge you phone...To tell time... ;) Also do you want your kids walking to school in the dark in the winter time. YEAH! Today's world...Got to Love it... :D :D ConfederatSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... You say new Tech. Clocks/Phones...You have just offended THE AMISH ...From now on everyone has to use SUN DIALS...ALL OTHER FORMS OF TELLING TIME ARE BANNED.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Corporal 1st Class ConfederateSS

Location: THE CONFEDERATE STATES of AMERICA and THE OLD WEST!

Postby ImaNoid on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:40 am

ConfederateSS wrote:----It has no use,in today's world... :roll: The very purpose,is so you can save on you electric bill. So you can charge you phone...To tell time... ;) Also do you want your kids walking to school in the dark in the winter time. YEAH! Today's world...Got to Love it... :D :D ConfederatSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... You say new Tech. Clocks/Phones...You have just offended THE AMISH ...From now on everyone has to use SUN DIALS...ALL OTHER FORMS OF TELLING TIME ARE BANNED.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

YEAH!!! =D> On a side note, let's not destroy symbols of history just because someone doesn't like it

Postby ImaNoid on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:44 am

macbone wrote:ImaNoid, it can be confusing for me because my family lives in North America, so I can never remember the time difference. I imagine companies that trade with the US just roll with it, though.

Thank you for understanding the nature of my thread. As for companies, the thread wasn't about them. It was about the effect on the individual.

Postby notyou2 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:58 am

ConfederateSS wrote:----It has no use,in today's world... :roll: The very purpose,is so you can save on you electric bill. So you can charge you phone...To tell time... ;) Also do you want your kids walking to school in the dark in the winter time. YEAH! Today's world...Got to Love it... :D :D ConfederatSS.out!(The Blue and Silver Rebellion)... You say new Tech. Clocks/Phones...You have just offended THE AMISH ...From now on everyone has to use SUN DIALS...ALL OTHER FORMS OF TELLING TIME ARE BANNED.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The confederate flag rant is a different thread.
Captain notyou2

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:47 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:

If we consider nations through time as well, then most countries would actually use local nooning, and have hundreds or thousands of time zones.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:51 pm

ImaNoid wrote:Here in America, we have just one of many idiocies known as Daylight Savings Time. In the way back, the government decided to begin having it for some reason lost to antiquity. Because of modern technology, there is no longer a use for it. To my knowledge, no other place on earth has it. My question is this: does it screw with the minds of other people in the world, who interact with us, or is it just me? Thoughts?

Daylight Savings is a flawed concept.

Here's CGP Grey typically wonderful summary of the subject:

I could describe some of the problems with it, but the video pretty much says it all.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby ImaNoid on Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:34 am

Dukasaur wrote:
ImaNoid wrote:Here in America, we have just one of many idiocies known as Daylight Savings Time. In the way back, the government decided to begin having it for some reason lost to antiquity. Because of modern technology, there is no longer a use for it. To my knowledge, no other place on earth has it. My question is this: does it screw with the minds of other people in the world, who interact with us, or is it just me? Thoughts?

Daylight Savings is a flawed concept.

Here's CGP Grey typically wonderful summary of the subject:

I could describe some of the problems with it, but the video pretty much says it all.

Wow, that was quite educational. I only thought it was a useless construct. Now, I'm absolutely sure of it. Thank you for the enlightenment. I shall pass on this information to anyone who'll listen.

Postby tzor on Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:21 am

American inventor and politician Benjamin Franklin wrote an essay called “An Economical Project for Diminishing the Cost of Light” to the editor of The Journal of Paris in 1784. In the essay, he suggested, although jokingly, that Parisians could economize candle usage by getting people out of bed earlier in the morning, making use of the natural morning light instead.

Now it's not immediately obvious unless you know a little about Ben Franklin, but the irony is deep here. Many years before that, writing for "Poor Richards Almanac" he wrote "Early to bed; early to rise; makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise" but by the time he was an ambassador to France he tended to get up after NOON.
Cadet tzor

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,