Conquer Club

Happy Black Friday Eve!

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Happy Black Friday Eve!

Postby / on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:05 pm

Thanksgiving may be an American only holiday, but that hasn't stopped retailers from spreading the holiday tradition of standing in line to frenzy-buy products the next day, all over the world!

Now whether you live in Europe, Asia, South America, or even Oceania, you too can look forward to the start of the holiday shopping season which for no reason takes place on the day after the third Thursday of November.

http://www.cnbc.com/2013/11/26/black-fr ... xport.html

Does your country have Black Friday yet? If so, do you have any plans for the holiday? Any stories to share?
Sergeant 1st Class /

Re: Happy Black Friday Eve!

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:15 pm

/ wrote:Thanksgiving may be an American only holiday, but that hasn't stopped retailers from spreading the holiday tradition of standing in line to frenzy-buy products the next day, all over the world!

Now whether you live in Europe, Asia, South America, or even Oceania, you too can look forward to the start of the holiday shopping season which for no reason takes place on the day after the third Thursday of November.

Does your country have Black Friday yet? If so, do you have any plans for the holiday? Any stories to share?

Mindless materialism is not a stranger to any culture.

My plans are the same as always:
  • I tape shows on TV so I can watch them later and fast-forward through the commercials.
  • When a commercial comes on the radio while I'm driving, I change the station.
  • When a flyer comes in the mail, I throw it in the recycling box without paying much attention, unless it is for groceries, in which case I pass it to my wife without paying much attention.

I vaguely hear words like "Black Friday Sale" when I don't change stations on the radio fast enough, but I honestly cannot tell you which stores they are held at. I vagely know that the majority of the big box stores in Canada are now aping their American cousins, but since I don't set foot in them, I can't say for sure which ones are and which ones aren't.

It is possible to close your mind to the cacaphony of materialistic noisemaking if you have the fortitude and internal serenity.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby / on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:14 am

Dukasaur wrote:Mindless materialism is not a stranger to any culture.

• I tape shows on TV so I can watch them later and fast-forward through the commercials.
  • When a flyer comes in the mail, I throw it in the recycling box without paying much attention, unless it is for groceries, in which case I pass it to my wife without paying much attention.

I vaguely hear words like "Black Friday Sale" when I don't change stations on the radio fast enough, but I honestly cannot tell you which stores they are held at. I vagely know that the majority of the big box stores in Canada are now aping their American cousins, but since I don't set foot in them, I can't say for sure which ones are and which ones aren't.

It is possible to close your mind to the cacaphony of materialistic noisemaking if you have the fortitude and internal serenity.

Sounds like a lots of saved stress.
On the other hand, it might not be too late to lose the senior citizen status if you go clothes shopping every decade or so. :P
Sergeant 1st Class /

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:29 am

Dukasaur wrote:
/ wrote:Thanksgiving may be an American only holiday, but that hasn't stopped retailers from spreading the holiday tradition of standing in line to frenzy-buy products the next day, all over the world!

Mindless materialism is not a stranger to any culture.

What happens when advertisements are embedded in a TV show, movie, or other entertainment apart from advertisements? Do you shut your eyes when the camera zooms in on the Nissan logo in The Walking Dead?

My wife, her sister, and her mother (and now my 3 year old daughter) attend Black Friday sales events, but tend to go to a shopping mall rather than a department store. My understanding is there are less danger issues in a shopping mall than in a department store. They also go at a more reasonable hour. I stay home with the other kids and play with Legos.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby riskllama on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:00 pm

what do you mean by "less danger"?
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:34 pm

riskllama wrote:what do you mean by "less danger"?

Trampling, fights, etc.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby riskllama on Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:21 pm

jesus...
buncha fuckin' savages.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:07 pm

thegreekdog wrote:What happens when advertisements are embedded in a TV show, movie, or other entertainment apart from advertisements? Do you shut your eyes when the camera zooms in on the Nissan logo in The Walking Dead?

Lol, I've never seen the Walking Dead, but I do remember when I was a kid, watching the original F.B.I. series with Efrem Zimbalist Jr., and my parents always laughed about how every single car in the show was a Ford. Mad Magazine did a series on it, too. They also lampooned another popular TV show called Cannon, who was a big fat guy who mostly spent long scenes driving from from one crime scene to another, always in a Ford LTD of course. In the Mad Magazine version they basically had him just drive around, it was pretty close to the truth.

Anyway, those are fond memories for me, and yet in all my life I've never bought a Ford. Three Chevys, an Oldsmobile, a Pontiac, a Jeep, a Honda, and a Nissan, but never a Ford. So I guess I avoid advertising not so much because it has power over me, as because it annoys me.

:D
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,