Conquer Club

Trump, the moderate voice of the right

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Trump, the moderate voice of the right

Postby tzor on Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:59 am

Symmetry wrote:I just assumed that college tuition in the US is a big con anyway. What is it now? About 40% never get a degree?

I don't know the actual numbers are these days. I do know that when I went to RPI in '79 the standard speech was "look to your left; look to your right; one of you is not going to graduate." So that's a 33% drop out from Freshman year. Now that expression is banished and the staff works towards identifying students who are having problems with their courses and getting the resources they need to maintain their grades. RPI is also a college with a significant ROI.
Cadet tzor

Postby Symmetry on Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:07 am

tzor wrote:
Symmetry wrote:I just assumed that college tuition in the US is a big con anyway. What is it now? About 40% never get a degree?

I don't know the actual numbers are these days. I do know that when I went to RPI in '79 the standard speech was "look to your left; look to your right; one of you is not going to graduate." So that's a 33% drop out from Freshman year. Now that expression is banished and the staff works towards identifying students who are having problems with their courses and getting the resources they need to maintain their grades. RPI is also a college with a significant ROI.

I remembered the article I'd read the 40% stat in-

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/03/the-dark-power-of-fraternities/357580/

Really great article if you fancy a read.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby tzor on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:52 pm

Symmetry wrote:I remembered the article I'd read the 40% stat in-

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/03/the-dark-power-of-fraternities/357580/

Not really sourced so I started doing a little checking on my own college. The number may be about right. Link - nasty - you will need to register

With 93.0% of students staying on for a second year, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute has among the best freshman retention rates in the country.
Both the on-time (two or four years depending on the degree) graduation rate of 61.5% and the overall rate of 82.1% rank Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute among the best in the country.
Cadet tzor

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:00 am

tzor wrote:
Symmetry wrote:I remembered the article I'd read the 40% stat in-

Not really sourced so I started doing a little checking on my own college. The number may be about right. Link - nasty - you will need to register

With 93.0% of students staying on for a second year, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute has among the best freshman retention rates in the country.
Both the on-time (two or four years depending on the degree) graduation rate of 61.5% and the overall rate of 82.1% rank Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute among the best in the country.

It's a pretty thorough article, although that's not really its main thrust. Depressing though, isn't it? College in the US isn't even all that tough. Plenty of courses give you marks for attendance.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby saxitoxin on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Symmetry wrote:It's a pretty thorough article, although that's not really its main thrust. Depressing though, isn't it? College in the US isn't even all that tough. Plenty of courses give you marks for attendance.

Depends on where you're talking about. Lower-to-mid tier U.S. universities are probably inferior to their British counterparts. Taking an undergraduate chemistry module at Arizona State is probably easier than taking the same module at Lancaster.

At the elite level, however you can't compare a Russell Group school against an Ivy League (or equivalent) institution. Except for Oxbridge they're simply outclassed. And even then it's a comparison between a smart pauper (Cantab) and a smart tycoon (Harvard); they just don't have the resources to do much more than keep up.

The QS rankings are inherently flawed, but for purposes of comparison here's their Top 10 UK and US universities. Comparing Yale to the University of Manchester, or Cornell to Bristol University or Penn to Warwick just doesn't pass the smell test. How many people outside Britain have even heard of Bristol University? Meanwhile, how many people outside the U.S. have heard of Cornell?

1. MIT | Cambridge
    2. Harvard | Oxford
    3. Stanford | UCL
    4. Cal Tech | ICL
    5. Chicago | King's College
    6. Princeton | Edinburgh
    7. Yale | Manchester
    8. Johns Hopkins | LSE
    9. Cornell | Bristol
    10. Pennsylvania | Warwick
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby saxitoxin on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:15 pm

Warwick
#10 university in UK
Founded: 1965 | Endowment: $13 million | Nobel Laureates: 1

Pennsylvania
#10 university in USA
Founded: 1740 | Endowment: $10.1 billion | Nobel Laureates: 28
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:33 pm

How does a political thread mutate into a college recruitment drive?
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby mrswdk on Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:08 am

lawl. I thought John Hopkins was in Canada.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Symmetry on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:11 am

Dukasaur wrote:How does a political thread mutate into a college recruitment drive?

When the quite ridiculous con that is the US college system coincides with dropout rates being discussed.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby muy_thaiguy on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:18 am

Also to note, I'm not sure about the UK, but the US also has a ton of Junior Colleges and Trade Schools. Not to mention a large number of less well known Universities.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby Symmetry on Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:27 am

muy_thaiguy wrote:Also to note, I'm not sure about the UK, but the US also has a ton of Junior Colleges and Trade Schools. Not to mention a large number of less well known Universities.

I think it's the less well known ones that are accredited, but probably shouldn't be, that drag the numbers down.

Top tier units in the US easily compete with the UK. The standard is way lower though.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:57 am

Sounds about right I suppose. And just for example on the number of post-high school schools there are; in Laramie, Wyoming, a town of about 30,000 people, there are three separate post-high school schools. A four year university (that is decently ranked, all things considered), a Junior College, and an automotive trade school that is quite well known in the US. Not saying all towns of 30,000 have such things, but in cities, its not unheard of for there to be multiple institutions. Particularly the larger ones.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby Symmetry on Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:46 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:Sounds about right I suppose. And just for example on the number of post-high school schools there are; in Laramie, Wyoming, a town of about 30,000 people, there are three separate post-high school schools. A four year university (that is decently ranked, all things considered), a Junior College, and an automotive trade school that is quite well known in the US. Not saying all towns of 30,000 have such things, but in cities, its not unheard of for there to be multiple institutions. Particularly the larger ones.

Yeah, it's a tough comparison. UK uni courses are usually 3 years,. It's often annoying to come across stuff that wouldn't pass muster at masters level given PhD status in the US though.
Sergeant Symmetry

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,