Conquer Club

Don't cry for Argentina; they can defend themselves!

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Don't cry for Argentina; they can defend themselves!

Postby Bernie Sanders on Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:17 am

China has and is still bullying their neighbors.

Now China complains about aggression against them? That's laughable.
Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby tzor on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:03 am

Sometimes knowing the ironic context left unwritten makes watching the reactions even more fun.

Common everyone, has everyone forgotten the Falklands War? This is Freaking Argentina, for crying out loud. They got kicked in the ass by Margaret Thatcher.

They defended themselves against an UNARMED ship.

The title of the thread is a joke to that musical.

Sigh, if I have to explain these jokes, I will.
Cadet tzor

Postby mrswdk on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:30 am

And with one fell swoop, mrswdk was vindicated.

All hail Tzor!
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby waauw on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:33 am

tzor wrote:Sometimes knowing the ironic context left unwritten makes watching the reactions even more fun.

Common everyone, has everyone forgotten the Falklands War? This is Freaking Argentina, for crying out loud. They got kicked in the ass by Margaret Thatcher.

If that ship is trying to ram you on purpose, then the Argentinian ship has good reasons to sink it. Chinese fishing boats have tried to do the exact same thing to Vietnam and got sunk there as well, the Philippine navy boarded and imprisoned Chinese fishermen for illegal fishing only a few miles from the Philippine mainland coast.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby mrswdk on Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:00 am

waauw wrote:
tzor wrote:Sometimes knowing the ironic context left unwritten makes watching the reactions even more fun.

If that ship is trying to ram you on purpose, then the Argentinian ship has good reasons to sink it.

What's the betting that when the Argentinians, who rolled out armed to the teeth with military weapons, say 'rammed us' what they really mean is 'crashed into us when we sailed into its path to obstruct it'?
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby tzor on Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:47 am

waauw wrote:If that ship is trying to ram you on purpose, then the Argentinian ship has good reasons to sink it.

If you are a unarmed fishing ship, and you think you can try to ram a military vessel, then your captain should be relieved of duty on the spot. Having said that, it's a fishing vessel, you shouldn't put your military vessels in any position to be rammed in the first place. (That means using vessels that maneuver faster than the fishing boat.)

I mean if that leftist organization can immobilize fishing vessels with mere inflatable vessels, a military navy shouldn't be placed in a situation where unarmed fishing boats can threaten their naval assets.
Cadet tzor

Postby waauw on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:05 pm

tzor wrote:
waauw wrote:If that ship is trying to ram you on purpose, then the Argentinian ship has good reasons to sink it.

If you are a unarmed fishing ship, and you think you can try to ram a military vessel, then your captain should be relieved of duty on the spot. Having said that, it's a fishing vessel, you shouldn't put your military vessels in any position to be rammed in the first place. (That means using vessels that maneuver faster than the fishing boat.)

I mean if that leftist organization can immobilize fishing vessels with mere inflatable vessels, a military navy shouldn't be placed in a situation where unarmed fishing boats can threaten their naval assets.

The phishing vessel refused to be boarded and started its boat on a collision course after warning shots had already been fired. The Chinese vessel got what it deserved.

If illegal drug traders were to be found inside a building and they refused to surrender, the police would barge in with guns. This is no different. If criminals refuse to surrender peacefully and opt for aggressive tactics, you don't leave authorities with many more options.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:47 pm

how in the hell are Argentina and China "neighbors"?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby mrswdk on Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:53 pm

If only more police services took waauw's approach of 'they've refused to stop so I guess we have no option but to start shooting at them'. Cop shows would be so much more lively.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby waauw on Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:51 pm

mrswdk wrote:If only more police services took waauw's approach of 'they've refused to stop so I guess we have no option but to start shooting at them'. Cop shows would be so much more lively.

Oh please. What do you suggest they should have done? Just let them continue their illegal fishing practices?
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Bernie Sanders on Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:31 pm

mrswdk wrote:If only more police services took waauw's approach of 'they've refused to stop so I guess we have no option but to start shooting at them'. Cop shows would be so much more lively.

The Chinese have lots of experience killing unarmed people.
...so, mrswdk is complaining about some injustice against whom?
Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby mrswdk on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:09 pm

waauw wrote:

Oh please. What do you suggest they should have done? Just let them continue their illegal fishing practices?

They could've tried to come alongside the vessel they were chasing, secure themselves to it and then board it. It's not like the fisherman are going to physically assault them.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby waauw on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:34 pm

mrswdk wrote:
waauw wrote:

They could've tried to come alongside the vessel they were chasing, secure themselves to it and then board it. It's not like the fisherman are going to physically assault them.

If you think boarding unwilling ships is THAT easy and safe you're wrong. If a ship is willing to put itself on ramcourse with the coast guard, it seems likely it's willing to manoeuver away from boarding and cut boarding lines.

FYI, all fishermen were fished up unhurt. The Argentinians fired to damage the ship, not for the kill.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:37 pm

mrswdk wrote:
TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
mrswdk wrote:
tzor wrote:This is another example of the aggressive behavior of China.

=D> =D>

Your description of the sinking of an unarmed fishing vessel by Argentina's militarized coastguard as 'Chinese aggressive behavior' is an excellent parody of the anti-China propaganda so heavily propagated by the US news media.

The American navy rocks up on the other side of the world in the South China Sea, sails all over the place and sends spy planes into Chinese airspace, and somehow the news reports manage to cast China as the aggressor when it tries to shoo America away. And the American public lap it up!

Not your best dodge. 3/10

-TG

Given that it is clearly ludicrous to cite the sinking of a Chinese fishing vessel after it strayed into the edge of Argentinian sea space as an example of the Chinese government's aggressiveness, I had genuinely assumed that Tzor was engaging in a Yoshi-esque parody of the American media's shrill coverage of American confrontations with China in the South China Sea.

Lol "strayed into the edge..." The Chinese have outfished their waters and have consistently pushed into new waters which aren't their own. They're fairly brazen about it.

mrswdk wrote:
waauw wrote:

That's not how it works. At sea, if you're hailed by military vessels, who will come across your bow, you immediately cease all motion. This applies especially so when you're a foreign vessel inside territorial waters.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby tzor on Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:24 pm

Army of GOD wrote:how in the hell are Argentina and China "neighbors"?

Ever since Mr Rodgers. :twisted:
Cadet tzor

Postby mrswdk on Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:38 am

waauw wrote:
mrswdk wrote:
waauw wrote:

If you think boarding unwilling ships is THAT easy and safe you're wrong. If a ship is willing to put itself on ramcourse with the coast guard, it seems likely it's willing to manoeuver away from boarding and cut boarding lines.

FYI, all fishermen were fished up unhurt. The Argentinians fired to damage the ship, not for the kill.

Noo. Would the fishermen really consider trying to move away from the coastguard as they attempt to come alongside? :o well there goes my entire plan

Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby waauw on Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:55 am

mrswdk wrote:Noo. Would the fishermen really consider trying to move away from the coastguard as they attempt to come alongside? :o well there goes my entire plan

Seriously? You're comparing a tiny ship with this? In the example you used, you have two tiny ships from which you can jump from one boat to the other. It becomes a lot more complicated if there's a difference in size. And with the Chinese already aggressive enough to put themselves on a ramcourse, it's not unthinkable they'll physically defend themselves.

Btw, I REPEAT WHAT I SAID BEFORE: nobody died. So what's the problem?

ps: the Argentinians can do what they want. THEIR SOUVEREIGN WATERS THEIR RULES.
It's not up to China to decide how Argentina defends its own waters.
Last edited by waauw on Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby waauw on Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:59 am

It's funny how you don't even address the outrageous behaviour of Chinese fishermen poaching other countries waters.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby mrswdk on Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:12 pm

The mental image I originally had was of lifeguard and fishing boats roughly the same size as the ones in the video I posted. That said, looking at photos from this story there's not that much of a difference in size between the Argentine boat(s) and the fishing vessel:

Coming up alongside would definitely have been possible.

So what we have here is a story in which a fishing boat strayed just inside a country's waters while fishing, that country's coastguard turned up and told the fishermen off, and then as the fishing boat turned and headed for international waters the coast guard first attempted to pen it in and then when it resisted these advances they opened fire on it and sank it.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:24 pm

Argentina also knows how to enjoy good music.

"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:44 pm

mrswdk wrote:
Bernie Sanders wrote:The Chinese use slave labor on their fishing fleets

I'd wait for you to provide some sort of justification for that comment, but I'm pretty sure I'll look like this before you are able to provide anything substantive:

Been documented pretty well, but of course you will just claim all the reports are frauds.
Article from huffington post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/2 ... 36070.html

In Fairness, there have been many reports of Thai slavery as well:
http://www.npr.org/2012/06/19/155045295 ... hree-years

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/11/asia/free ... index.html

and, of course in Burma:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201 ... vory-trade

And of course other Chinese slave labor:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Chin ... ve_scandal

Several countries indicted here:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/17/world/glo ... index.html

c
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:49 pm

Actually, that IS pretty much standard in the US. Its why the old "stop, or I will shoot" is so often repeated. Running is generally considered pretty good evidence of guilt.

And... if you are trying to claim China doesn't raid foreign waters, constantly contest boundaries, then you do NOT know your fishing history! But, hey, what else can we expect from China. Your country is hardly the bastion of free and open information that you wish to claim.. sorry, but its not.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby mrswdk on Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:03 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
mrswdk wrote:

I'd wait for you to provide some sort of justification for that comment, but I'm pretty sure I'll look like this before you are able to provide anything substantive:

Been documented pretty well, but of course you will just claim all the reports are frauds.

Less 'fraud', more 'non-existent webpage'
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby waauw on Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:36 pm

mrswdk wrote:The mental image I originally had was of lifeguard and fishing boats roughly the same size as the ones in the video I posted. That said, looking at photos from this story there's not that much of a difference in size between the Argentine boat(s) and the fishing vessel:

Coming up alongside would definitely have been possible.

So what we have here is a story in which a fishing boat strayed just inside a country's waters while fishing, that country's coastguard turned up and told the fishermen off, and then as the fishing boat turned and headed for international waters the coast guard first attempted to pen it in and then when it resisted these advances they opened fire on it and sank it.

Very well, I admit my mistake then concerning the boarding part, but I still think the sinking was justified. If the fishermen's coin didn't drop by the time warning shots were fired, they're just idiots. Clear rule for pretty much everywhere in the world: don't resist local authorities.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby waauw on Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:39 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
mrswdk wrote:

In Fairness, there have been many reports of Thai slavery as well:
http://www.npr.org/2012/06/19/155045295 ... hree-years

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/11/asia/free ... index.html

and, of course in Burma:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201 ... vory-trade

And of course other Chinese slave labor:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Chin ... ve_scandal

Several countries indicted here:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/17/world/glo ... index.html

c

Nothing special there. It's a symptom of pretty much all developing or underdeveloped nations. Hell, even rich South-Korea had a scandal concerning the slave labour of homeless people and people with disabilities.
Lieutenant waauw

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,