Conquer Club

Do you still read print newspapers?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

How often do you read print newspapers?

Total votes : 0

Re: Do you still read print newspapers?

Postby DoomYoshi on Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:57 pm

E-books are a ridiculous waste of money. Remember when you bought a new computer game and were like "now i can take home the arcade". 25 years later it doesn't work on any platform whatsoever and you end up pirating it anyways.
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby warmonger1981 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:29 pm

Do you shit in an outhouse as well? How's your model T holding up, still purring like a kitten? Get with the times numbnut.
Private 1st Class patches70

I have modern plumbing. I own an 03' Lincoln,10' Ford Van and 77' Cadillac. The Cadillac has 49,000 miles and runs like a champ. I'm old school player. Check yourself you New Age hippie weirdo.
Captain warmonger1981

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:44 pm

The last holdout for me was the Wall Street Journal. Since I picked up on Twitter, I stopped reading.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby waauw on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:01 am

thegreekdog wrote:The last holdout for me was the Wall Street Journal. Since I picked up on Twitter, I stopped reading.

OMG he's alive.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Symmetry on Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:42 pm

thegreekdog wrote:The last holdout for me was the Wall Street Journal. Since I picked up on Twitter, I stopped reading.

Are you back TGD? If so... welcome.

Are there any cheap national newspapers in the US? I tend to pick up the i in the UK. It used to be the concise version of the Independent, and costs 40-50p. So roughly 70 cents or so.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby thegreekdog on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:28 pm

Symmetry wrote:

Are there any cheap national newspapers in the US? I tend to pick up the i in the UK. It used to be the concise version of the Independent, and costs 40-50p. So roughly 70 cents or so.

Back? Not sure yet. Definitely not interested in playing games.

If there are cheap national newspapers, I don't know what they are.

Postby Symmetry on Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:42 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Back? Not sure yet. Definitely not interested in playing games.

If there are cheap national newspapers, I don't know what they are.

Be prepared for the accusations that you're a troll who doesn't play games if you just want to converse.

But anyway, cheap nationals have been the way forward for print papers in the UK. They lack in depth reporting in favour of summaries. Maybe emulating net sources.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby riskllama on Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:58 pm

but sym, you ARE a troll who doesn't play games. with you, the accusation is 100% correct and appropriate.
notsomuch w/TGD...
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby warmonger1981 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:52 am

No shit. Dude been here since 07'and only played 73 games. I played thousands of games before I found this forum. Symmetry should team up with Dodge Stratus.
Captain warmonger1981

Postby Symmetry on Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:06 pm

warmonger1981 wrote:Dude played 73 games.

Thanks for the back up, kinda undermines Llama doesn't it? I don't think he knows what 100% means.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby warmonger1981 on Sun May 01, 2016 12:13 am

He may not have spoken in technicalities but I'm siding with Llama. I would think in over 2000+ days you been here you would of played alot more then 73 games. That's less then 1 per month.
Captain warmonger1981

Postby Dukasaur on Sun May 01, 2016 8:15 am

I still read print newspapers when I get a chance, but I won't pay for them. I try to go to coffee houses that offer free newspapers. In the Eighties when I was unemployed and living in Toronto, I would just ride around on the subway picking up newspapers that people threw away. I was reading all three Toronto dailies, plus a good many specialty papers besides. Since leaving Toronto and especially since being fully employed, that's not a valid strategy anymore, but I still treasure visits to doctor's offices and stuff where I can catch up on anything from National Geographic to Car & Driver.

Online newspapers can't hold a candle to real newspapers. For starters, they are so brutally weighed down with ads that it takes 30 to 90 seconds for each page to load. I can literally feel myself getting older as they load. Print newspapers are heavy on ads, too, but the eye can slide past them in milliseconds. You don't have to wait for them to load their shit onto the page.

But even once you get past the ads, the density of information just isn't there. A page of broadsheet has between 5000 and 10,000 words. A page of a typical online newspaper has between 500 and 1000 words. That's pretty much a 10-to-1 ratio. Even if you allege a difference in the efficiency with which information is being conveyed, I think you will agree that you can't pack an in-depth analysis into 500 words.

When I do read online newspapers, I tend toward The Economist and the London Daily Telegraph. They're not as bad as some of the others in their bandwidth-sucking. They do have mobile gifs, but thankfully no videos. I read a lot of the New Yorker mainly by starting with links DoomYoshi sends me and working my way from there. Similarly, I find myself reading a lot of Haaretz, mainly by following links from saxitoxin posts. For local news I check the Hamilton Spectator. There are Niagara-based newspapers that are technically closer, but they are so thin on material it's a waste even looking at them.

I'm surprised to hear TGD extol Twitter as a news source. Really, I've only gone on Twitter twice, so perhaps I didn't give it enough of a chance, but my two visits there were disappointing. The first time it was just some black guy bragging about the rap video he had just released. Really, I don't deny rap the right to exist, but I don't want it to exist in any place where I am. The second time, it was just some guys in the north of England swearing at each other about some ruling that some soccer referee had made. I'm not a huge sports fan, although I do follow some sports to a small degree. Soccer, however, is probably the sport I care about the least. For some guys I barely know to argue about a ruling I don't understand by a referee I've never heard of in a sport I don't care about in some small town in England I can barely find on a map is, well, significantly less interesting than watching paint dry. And I say that without any hyperbole, because I actually have had some fun times while standing around watching paint dry.
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby thegreekdog on Sun May 01, 2016 8:39 pm

Symmetry wrote:Be prepared for the accusations that you're a troll who doesn't play games if you just want to converse.

Meh - Wouldn't bother me if I was so accused.

Dukasaur wrote:I'm surprised to hear TGD extol Twitter as a news source.

Maybe I should have clarified. I follow different news organizations on Twitter. I can get up-to-date information quickly; if I want to read more, I can click a link.

Postby riskllama on Sun May 01, 2016 10:15 pm

Symmetry wrote:

Thanks for the back up, kinda undermines Llama doesn't it? I don't think he knows what 100% means.

i think it might be time for another symmetry vs cake thread...
what do you think, sym?
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Symmetry on Mon May 02, 2016 7:31 pm

riskllama wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

i think it might be time for another symmetry vs cake thread...
what do you think, sym?

Didn't work out so well for the last person who tried it.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby JBlombier on Mon May 02, 2016 7:42 pm

When I traveled by train on a daily basis, I read the newspaper you could get for free on every station. I kinda liked it better than the news-medium I have on my Phone now I travel by car. A print newspaper has more surprises, mobile papers lead the way to what you actually wanna read pretty good, which leaves your netto information at just that.

I thoroughly enjoy my local (print) newspaper, because of the articles they deem news-worthy. It's about nothing, but it's a much better read than all the heavy stuff available. Perhaps I wanna stay a little ignorant, just for the sake of my own happiness.
Colonel JBlombier

Postby jonesthecurl on Sun May 29, 2016 9:17 pm

So I'm about to renew "The Week" (US edition) and it looks like I get to send a free subscription to someone else. Who's up for that? You'll need to PM your address, and I think you have to be in the US.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby riskllama on Sun May 29, 2016 9:43 pm

pinko commie rag.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon May 30, 2016 1:07 am

Actually what I like about it is that it presents a range of views being drawn largely from other publications.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby muy_thaiguy on Mon May 30, 2016 11:30 am

I still read stone etchings. This new fangled "paper" thing just doesn't have the same sturdiness. And now this magic crap with non-stone tablets? What are people thinking anymore?
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby thegreekdog on Mon May 30, 2016 7:59 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote: non-stone tablets

That made me chuckle.

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,