Conquer Club

Recommend a book thread

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Recommend a book thread

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:04 pm

mrswdk wrote:
Qista wrote:I really like reading books, I also have my own blog where I write reviews about this or that book. Although if you recall how hard it was for me to write reviews about the book at the beginning ... - I had to ask writers for help

It is definitely a struggle. Did you find anyone to help you? Are there any good online resources you would recommend?

Thanks for doing the sensible thing and cutting out the link. It's genuinely appreciated.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Sergeant 1st Class Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Symmetry on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:07 pm

nietzsche wrote:One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Best. Book. EVER

A good pick.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Maxleod on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:30 pm

Symmetry wrote:
nietzsche wrote:One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Best. Book. EVER

A good pick.

No. Don't get me wrong, the guy can write, but reading One Hundred Years of Solitude is like listening to a 2 hours guitar or drums solo. You just wanna say"hey, we got it, you can play, but can you write a song?

I tried to read it. It was beautifuly written. But it was boring as hell.

I recommend GCM's short stories. Try "Big Mama's Funerals".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mama%27s_Funeral
Lieutenant Maxleod

Location: DARDIS (Drunkness And Relative Dimensions In Sleep)

Postby HitRed on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:35 pm

FRANCES Ready To Die by Dr. Phillip D. Williams

If you caring for your parents or yourself are middle age or up this is a short, deep and satisfying read.
Captain HitRed

Postby Symmetry on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:44 pm

Jorge Luis Borges is the master of magical realism for me. He should have won the Nobel.

The Library of Babel:

"The universe (which others call the Library) is composed of an indefinite and perhaps infinite number of hexagonal galleries, with vast air shafts between, surrounded by very low railings. From any of the hexagons one can see, interminably, the upper and lower floors. The distribution of the galleries is invariable. Twenty shelves, five long shelves per side, cover all the sides except two; their height, which is the distance from floor to ceiling, scarcely exceeds that of a normal bookcase. One of the free sides leads to a narrow hallway which opens onto another gallery, identical to the first and to all the rest. To the left and right of the hallway there are two very small closets. In the first, one may sleep standing up; in the other, satisfy one's fecal necessities. Also through here passes a spiral stairway, which sinks abysmally and soars upwards to remote distances. In the hallway there is a mirror which faithfully duplicates all appearances. Men usually infer from this mirror that the Library is not infinite (if it were, why this illusory duplication?); I prefer to dream that its polished surfaces represent and promise the infinite ... Light is provided by some spherical fruit which bear the name of lamps. There are two, transversally placed, in each hexagon. The light they emit is insufficient, incessant."
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:41 pm

Symmetry wrote:Jorge Luis Borges is the master of magical realism for me. He should have won the Nobel.

But Return to Ithaca was just so good. It is such a foundational novel in the Western world.
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby nietzsche on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:07 am

Symmetry wrote:Jorge Luis Borges is the master of magical realism"

Take that back bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby nietzsche on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:09 am

Gabriel garcia marquez is the master of magical realism and you will suck his **** you necrophilic passive qggressive something
General nietzsche

Postby nietzsche on Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:18 pm

I shouldn't have taken the bait.. but i was a bit drunk.
General nietzsche

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,